Please save progress inside story instances in case of lost connection!

BraKet.3570

@Zedek.8932 said:Excelsior.

The question is, however, why are you being disconnected? I have a regular consumer connection via Cable and I don't disconnect "randomly", no matter to what server. I could either trace it (ask the support or search for the right instructions) and figured out the reason why I disconnected (99% package loss in a node in Scandinavia for example was the biggest trouble I had the past years). I see it so often that people in every game claim or say it's outright "normal" to disconnect. It is not. Would you stay with a phone company interrupting your calls every few minutes or power company giving you blackouts several times a day?

That aside, I am afraid of that, because the instances are severaly bugged. I reach the marker and nothing moves, or my NPC (Trahearne loves to do that) gets stuck, or Braham also did it once and I almost though he can't stand being bossed around by a midget. If some sort of saving happens, I am sure it might also save the corrupt states. Leaving the instance totally is literally like disconnecting, so I would reconnect into a buggy state all over. That's why I am pretty happy the instance is being cancelled alltogether.

Disconnected can be various reasons. Agreed though. Im about 30-40 ft from a wireless router but not often dced. I'm only dced if everyone decides to all turn on Netflix. But rarely happens even if they do. I usually get dced when there is a bug in the client. Or when arenanet adds new content. Other then that I don't get dced. But other people can have different reasons.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:There should be a lot more checkpoints, both for people who DC and for those pursuing achievements or simply wanting to restart.

Here's where I'd like to see checkpoints:

• Right before any major puzzle, especially if there's a timer.
  • Right before any combat.
  • Immediately after the size, shape, or location of the playable area changes.
  • Immediately after any long speeches.
  • Right before any achievements have a trigger point.

So for example, right after Kormir says speechifies, after Sadizi pontificates, or even in the "victory lap" story at the end, after you are greeted by the various dignitaries. On the whole, I'd rather ANet set up too many checkpoints than too few. I don't mind if we can't reset while in the instance as long as when we return, we don't have to listen or go through all the same dialogue and same climbing or other puzzles.

It is astounding that this is not the case.

I've been playing off and on since launch weekend in 2012 and just came back after the better part of a year off and now almost every story instance I play I'm getting DC'd after the cinematic. It just happened to me in Living World Season 3 playing Caudacus manor and getting DC'd at the end. It happened every time in some of the PoF instances too. No warning, just cinematic ends, everything freezes and I'm looking at the Lost Connection to Server message. I play other online games and don't have this problem and I don't have this problem in GW2 open world. Only the instances and only since PoF.

Its always been a bug in instances, in that when you DC, and relog, you are always outside the instance.Its possible its a game mechanism of how instances are created because it happens in other games as well, WOW has the same problem.Instances only exist while the player or players who enter them are online, and they dissapear when the players do.I dont know if its even possible to put checkpoints in instances.Maybe a Dev could answer these types of questions.I was never able to make it thru the Mordromoth fight in HOT, because of the DC and getting put right back at the start outside the instance when relogging.

@mjhungness.8059 said:I've been playing off and on since launch weekend in 2012 and just came back after the better part of a year off and now almost every story instance I play I'm getting DC'd after the cinematic. It just happened to me in Living World Season 3 playing Caudacus manor and getting DC'd at the end. It happened every time in some of the PoF instances too. No warning, just cinematic ends, everything freezes and I'm looking at the Lost Connection to Server message. I play other online games and don't have this problem and I don't have this problem in GW2 open world. Only the instances and only since PoF.

I also suffered from dcs in instanced content a lot (story, dungeons), mostly after cinematics (and interestingly in parties too when others finished watching despite I skipped it) and in dialogue sequences. It also happened once after a Vista cinematic in Core Tyria, where there were no animated objects, npcs or players visible in the video.I had success not getting dc'ed where previously I got kicked in several situations by limiting my fps and keeping my gpu busy by constantly jumping, running, using skills. But the most success in these situations I had after switching to the 32-bit client. Now I use the 64-bit one for every other content but before I go into dungeons or missions I start the 32-bit client instead. Both clients use the same data pool, so there are just a few launcher-files to download.

I couldn't agree more - I am raising a new necro and have been doing the whole story line from the beginning. Almost every single instance where there is a cinematic at the very end disconnected me - beyond frustrating to spend all this time - complete the final battles - many of which are not trivial and then to have to do it all over 2, sometimes 3 times.

I had more disconnects in the Labyrinth of Living story 2 - again right at the very end. In all the stories I have played through for the last few weeks - if I was getting dropped it was ALWAYS at the very end - after the final battles. Maybe there is an issue in the hand-off between the story and back to the regular world?

@mjhungness.8059 said:I've been playing off and on since launch weekend in 2012 and just came back after the better part of a year off and now almost every story instance I play I'm getting DC'd after the cinematic. It just happened to me in Living World Season 3 playing Caudacus manor and getting DC'd at the end. It happened every time in some of the PoF instances too. No warning, just cinematic ends, everything freezes and I'm looking at the Lost Connection to Server message. I play other online games and don't have this problem and I don't have this problem in GW2 open world. Only the instances and only since PoF.

I've been having it in HoT and LWS3 since early this year (maybe March?). Others in my house have been DCing in core dungeons as well. We may have had the occasional DC before that, but not with such frequency.

• 3 weeks later...

@Zedek.8932 said:Excelsior.

The question is, however, why are you being disconnected? I have a regular consumer connection via Cable and I don't disconnect "randomly", no matter to what server.

The more interesting question is why are we only disconnected during story instances, most often at the very end when a cutscene or reward is about to be given? Happens to me quite a bit, but only for stories. I agree with the OP, please SAVE progress and give us a short period of time to reconnect and resume the instance.

• 4 weeks later...

Sigh, 4th time to try to complete the same story mission. I rarely (if ever) disconnect in the main map mode, but story mode.. gah. Not a rocket scientist, but I'm going to guess that the infra-structure for story mode is running on a shared 386 under someones desk. If you guys could bump that up to a smartphone, I could complete this.

• 2 weeks later...

I experienced the same - twice during story sequences. Each time I lost 30 to 60 minutes - never mind the boring need to repeat. It is also strange that Anet devs do not respond to important threads such as this. I suspect that it's not connectivity issue with my provider - it never happens otherwise. It's possible that the underlying code does not send "keep alive" messages to the server or something similar. Very frustrating.

I know complaining here will will have no effect whatsoever on ARENANET but after almost completing two separate stories TWICE in a row EACH, and LOSING ALL MY PROGRESS, one PoF and another in the original game I am just so fed up. I NEVER get disconnected playing the normal game it is just in the damn stories. I have no idea what to do. WHY oh why does it choose stores to disconnect.

Just had this happen to me this morning. Completed the "The Departing" story, disconnected on the way up to the portal out of the instance. Immediately reconnected and was logged in outside instance only to be greeted by the sight of having to restart all the time and progress I just spent doing..... Second time this has happened at the very end of a story instance. Like others have said, I never disconnect in the live world, only in Story Instances.

• 3 weeks later...

Aside from DC issues, what about Saving Progress to simply improve the quality of gameplay? Allowing players to frequently Save Progress has been a standard in single-player RPGs for decades. I never understood why MMOs have felt they do not need to offer this function in their single-player, instanced content.

Saving progress would also solve the issue of not knowing whether the next chapter will be 5 minutes of interacting with NPCs or if it will be 40 minutes of grinding mobs followed by a boss fight. If you need to log out for any real life reasons before completing the chapter, it is the same as disconnecting and all progress is lost.

There is no way to know the length of each story chapter unless you are constantly looking it up the wiki. And this ruins the plotline with spoilers, which has already happened to me and makes playing the story much less fun. This has lead to my personally being much less interested in playing the story even though I really do enjoy the game's lore.

Certainly there are more difficulties saving progress from an online instance compared to a single player game, but can it really be so insurmountable? If anything, because MMOs suffer from disconnects, you would think the industry would give even higher priority to save points for their single-player, instanced content compared to off-line games. But this has never happened.

GW2 proved that many standards of past MMOs were flawed. ArenaNet created an MMO where players do not see other players as constant competitors for mobs or resources. It is a very refreshing change to play an MMO where you do not curse when you see another player show up. It would be another refreshing change if ArenaNet could show the industry once again that their old standards need to evolve and that saving progress should finally become a mechanic in MMOs.

I've been begging for this since the game released. It ended up causing one of my friends to quit, and so this issue has been pretty near and dear to me ever since. An hour into a mission he wasn't enjoying, he got DCed. He could never bring himself to do the mission again, and without doing story stuff the game got boring for him. A month or so later he stopped logging in completely.

Honestly, it makes me nervous to do long missions. I got pretty antsy in the Zhaitan mission because of how long it was taking, thinking about how much I did NOT want to do it all over again if I got DCed. Rather than focusing on how much fun the mission was, I started focusing on how problematic it would be for me if I got DCed.

I have no idea what sort of architectural changes would be required on the dev end to make this happen, but this is really high on my wish list for this game. There was a reason the problem was handled in Guild Wars 1, and I was desperately hoping it would be taken as seriously here. If it had been, I'd probably still be able to play with my buddy.