@leoh.7239 said:

@DrMORO.4627 said:

@leoh.7239 said:I have a 15" MacBook retina 2015 (i7, 16GB ram, 750m) running Sierra last version and I use a external GPU (GTX1070).

May I ask in detail about what external GPU setup you use?

I'm using AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box, you can find guides on google easily :)

Thanks for your reply, leoh.7239!And other than the issue you've encounter, how is the overall game play of Guild Wars 2, with your external GPU setup?If a working system, following that as much as possible should be the shortest way to a successful & effective setup, I presume.

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been having issues with my desktop, but not my laptop (despite my laptop not being nearly as powerful). It doesn't matter which map I am in or what graphic settings I have my game set at, I constantly will crash and have horrible loading time. The desktop is running OS Sierra 10.12.6 and is a mac mini from late 2014. It has a 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5 processor with 8 GB of memory and Intel Iris 1536 MB graphics card. Most times the game completely crashes with no error message and won't close completely (the application is shown as running but is completely gone and I have to manually kill it with the Activity Monitor). The game crashes in core areas as well as expansion areas with varying numbers of people. Other than that however, fps is smooth though, which is great! The game doesn't run as well on my laptop though (cries.... 10 fps at lowest settings) so I would love for this issue to be addressed.

Hello,I've been using the Mac 64 bit client since September and I LOVE it. I haven't DCd while in a world event in weeks. There is one odd thing though that keeps coming up. I like to design characters and the login screen and character designer (vendor/makeover kit) shows some odd graphic distortion to the human and norn character models and to the way clothing is rendered. The models seem to be mostly fine in game. The texture maps on the character models seem off - see the nose/eye area, the neckline and the fingers. You can clearly see the seams in the texture map and weird crinkling around the eyes. The ambient occlusion and specular maps (or normal mapping) seem off also - sometimes the way raised elements are displayed seems inverted (areas that push away from the model instead are receding into the model. I noticed this particularly on the sylvari model where the leafy parts that should be raised away from the body were instead displaying as gouges IN the body.

I had screen shots but was defeated by the inability to add images to the post or link from Google photos.

Again, I'm still loving the Mac 64 bit client! Thanks.

I recognize some of the problems the others are facing. Maps take rather long to load, but the most annoying thing are the really long loading times for mobs, npcs, minions, mounts, player models and sound effects. With group events none of the player characters will load, not even when the event finished. I only see the 'placeholder' model.Strange thing is the skimmer mount loads immediately, but the others all take a while. My character sinks into the ground and the camera will stay in place.Sound effects are often completely gone too.Walking into an unknown area (I'm a pretty new player so haven't discovered everything yet XD) is impossible: It seems the area is clear and I walk in when suddenly my healthbar lowers and surrounded by mobs. Have died several time because of this.

Highest fps was 40(rare). Sometimes drops to 8. Often around 20. Graphics are all on low, render sampling on native.After a few hours of playing it runs a bit better for a few minutes, then it runs really smooth and even loads mounts, mobs, npcs and sounds fast.

Good things are: my mac is really silent and doesn't vent loudly anymore. It doesn't get super hot immediately and crashes seemed to have disappeared.It's playable but the 32-bit was much smoother and i could do group events easily. Just hoping all the problems will be fixed by the macteam so that it runs like the 32-bit did.

I'm on a Mac mini (late 2012) High sierra 10.13.12,3 GHz Intel core i74gb 1600 MHz DDR3Intel HD graphics 4000 1536 mb

So since the LS chapter is out, I decided to see if it was any good. Took 3 minutes to load into the game (Lion's Arch), then I was swimming in air (no visible water), then the water appeared after a minute or so. But still most NPCs are invisible, and even my character became invisible at some point. The sound effects lag as well. This isn't much better than what it was during launch. What the hell is going on? Are you guys even working on this? It's been months.

It's nice to know that some people are apparently having an "amazing" time playing the game, but how does this justify leaving the rest of us to rot? We paid money for this game, too, you know? Going 'screw you, got mine' isn't really a nice attitude to have.

The Mac client works way better than ever on old maps but the first map of season 4 is really hard on my fps for some reason.And my second issue was that every in-game cutscene didn't load. (SPOILER) When the commander wakes up in the cell, or when braham and rox join you in the final instance.The only thing I saw looked like the camera was under the map and nothing was there except a few mountains. The second was the overall performance. For some reason whenever I was on the platforms in the final encounter with scruffy 2.0 the fps went below 15. All graphic settings on low. Going somewhere else in the instance made the fps go up to 30. Would love if that would get fixed so we can see the (probably) beautiful cut scenes. (Pre rendered worked fine)

My system is an iMac late 2017, i7, 2GB Nvidia GTX, 32GB RAM.

Running on a Retina MacBook Pro 15" 2015 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD w/ AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2GB and running macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 and the 64 bit client runs ok. I can get 60+ FPS if I lower the graphics setting and lower the resolution to 1280x960. Hoping for further optimizations and tweaking by the developer of the 64 bit Mac native client, and I hope they will support Metal 2 for better Mac graphic performance. Keep up the good work guys!

I have a new bug, that has not been discussed yet:My cursor is still to small since i play on retina, but have UI-scaling off. I tried to workaround by increasing cursor size in System Preferences -> Accessibility -> Display -> Cursor Size. The ingame cursor is indeed bigger, but now while i move the cursor, the fps rate drops to about a half. (Feels like the map pan issue.)Then I discovered, that the larger cursor moves with a small delay on macOS while GW2 is started. I think that it is an error in macOS's cursor handling...

It's been a little while since I last posted, so I'll give you all a bit info on what we're working on:

• We're still investigating long loading times and the reported excessive storage media reads. No ETA for fixes, if any.
  • The cursor being small when DPI Scaling is off is expected as this shares behavior with Windows.

The 'Coherent Host Crashed' issue has gotten exceedingly worse since the most recent update. Usually, if I have the problem I simply restart the app a few times until it runs. As of recent, I am completely unable to play. Clearing cache and other typical fixes have not worked and I do not plan on re-downloading the game every time I want to play. It's starting to get to a point where I will be looking at playing another game.

First up, thanks for the Mac client and all the work you guys are putting into it. I realize we're a very small part of the market and all this is greatly appreciated.Just some things I've been running into lately:A lot of flickering/flashing is back on certain textures/objects on the new map. Annoying but not game breaking.Cutscenes. For some reason the cutscenes (prison break, dramatic rescue) in LWS4 weren't loading in fully. They were just chunks of sky. I had the same problem on the cutscene at the end of the first story instance of PoF, but on the second playthrough it loaded in fine. (I played through the old LVS2 stuff with a friend and those cutscenes all loaded fine on the same day.)Specs: OS 10.12.6, late 2013 imac, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB, fusion drive.

@Sonicbug.7341 said:A lot of flickering/flashing is back on certain textures/objects on the new map. Annoying but not game breaking.

This is now the biggest issue I have with the client as it is. I'd love to hear an official comment as to whether this is a driver issue for nVidia, or a client issue.

I had this problem. Do you load 64-bit client? That was my problem. It appeared I was still on the 32-bit version.

@Sin.8630 said:The 'Coherent Host Crashed' issue has gotten exceedingly worse since the most recent update. Usually, if I have the problem I simply restart the app a few times until it runs. As of recent, I am completely unable to play. Clearing cache and other typical fixes have not worked and I do not plan on re-downloading the game every time I want to play. It's starting to get to a point where I will be looking at playing another game.

Hopefully it will get resolved soon. While on windows people are often years out of date it is less common in the mac world .... which means other programs on the machine tend to drop support for previous OSs more quickly.

edit: Also when people buy new hardware it typically comes with the latest version of the OS so pretty soon nearly every mac user will be on high sierra unless they specifically downgraded, which is not always possible.

@Kivexor.8596 said:^ echo this experience, since the latest update my performance has dropped from 50+ fps to ~15.

Have you tried resetting the PRAM and SMC? There's a looooong standing problem with Macs where performance can be slow after sleep, which sometimes can be resolved by doing this. Both my retina Macbook pro and iMac used to suffer from this.

Today there actually seemed to be an improvement in performance, for me. It was still seriously, horribly sputtery in crowded situations (Auric Basin meta, Palawadan raid) but I was dreading the Verdant Brink dailies because the map is usually painfully laggy. And tonight it wasn't. Ran around feeling like I was back in the 32-bit version. Did I have a good night, or was something tweaked?