How old are you? (take 2)

Daddicus.6128

@Ardid.7203 said:

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:As of this moment, 2 respondents 80+. Rock on, older folks!

@"Rpgtabbycat.5869" said:Also surprised by the number of pre-teens. I thought that count would be 0.

Most likely people just goofing around that selected those options as there is no way to validate how honest the voters are. If you subtract the results from the first two age range options and the last two you will probably get a more accurate distribution as far as forum members that voted.

Imgur

Doesn't that would be just arbitrary? Why would someone do that just because "there is no way to validate how honest the voters are"?There is a thread with a lot of old people talking about their physical problems just in the first page. IMO they very well could be the ones voting here.

I already mentioned why. Just to goof with the poll. I seriously doubt there are many GW2 players over the age of 80 (if at all) and players age 9 and younger that voted here. A 9 year old would have been around 4 years old when GW2 launched. Think about it. I'll be honest, I voted 80 and over just because I find these polls pointless. :smiley:

It seems like since the new forum was created people like to create polls just because they can. I think the poll option should be disabled for forum members and only available to Anet staff.

@JustTrogdor.7892 said:

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:As of this moment, 2 respondents 80+. Rock on, older folks!

@"Rpgtabbycat.5869" said:Also surprised by the number of pre-teens. I thought that count would be 0.

Most likely people just goofing around that selected those options as there is no way to validate how honest the voters are. If you subtract the results from the first two age range options and the last two you will probably get a more accurate distribution as far as forum members that voted.

Imgur

Doesn't that would be just arbitrary? Why would someone do that just because "there is no way to validate how honest the voters are"?There is a thread with a lot of old people talking about their physical problems just in the first page. IMO they very well could be the ones voting here.

I already mentioned why. Just to goof with the poll. I seriously doubt there are many GW2 players over the age of 80 (if at all) and players age 9 and younger that voted here. A 9 year old would have been around 4 years old when GW2 launched. Think about it. I'll be honest, I voted 80 and over just because I find these polls pointless. :smiley:

It seems like since the new forum was created people like to create polls just because they can. I think the poll option should be disabled for forum members and only available to Anet staff.

Polls are fun tho.And in every survey, there's a margin of error...not only because of the demographic reached but also because there's always a few people who post false answers.

@Taygus.4571 said:

Imgur

And in every survey, there's a margin of error...not only because of the demographic reached but also because there's always a few people who post false answers.

Which was the point I was making from the start. :smile:

@Pimsley.3681 said:

@Pimsley.3681 said:I’m not old enough to know but does age affect dexterity and reaction times? I’ve noticed most of the ESL pro gamers from other games are mostly in their 20s.

Age in most cases, but not all, does affect dexterity. But more than that, it affects stamina and focus, at least in my case. However, since most people don't raid or competitively PvP or WvW, what does it matter?

I'll be 56 soon and I'm part of the first generation that grew up on video games (admittedly a faint shadow of what they have become today). I'm not going to stop playing just because I'm not interested in killing myself raiding. There's plenty of stuff in this game for a guy like me to do.

The builds I tend to make aren't meta builds, but they're more fire and forget builds. Phantasm builds on a chronomancer, for example, rather than a shatter build. I still shatter when I can resummon 2 phantasms, but it's not nearly as active. Daredevil is a very very easy build, using staff and dual pistol, for people who want to take it easier and still clear content.

I tend to stay away from eles and engies, not that I never play them but I don't play them as much or as hard. My engie is using a flame thrower build that works quite nicely that I call fire and forget. lol

56 is still young. It’s the new 36 haha. First generation gamer? That means you played the Atari 2600? My dad had one!

Ummm, I was there before the Atari 2600. I played a game called Phasar Battle, which was like a stand alone electronic shooting game. I was there when pong came out. They had this stupid three game set that hooked up to your TV it was pong, hand ball and haunted house. And haunted house came with a "game screen" that was a piece of plastic that you had to tape over your 19 inch television.

Edit: I think I was 15 when the Atari 2600 came out.

Edit 2: Try this one on for size https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnavox_Odyssey

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Pimsley.3681 said:I’m not old enough to know but does age affect dexterity and reaction times? I’ve noticed most of the ESL pro gamers from other games are mostly in their 20s.

Age in most cases, but not all, does affect dexterity. But more than that, it affects stamina and focus, at least in my case. However, since most people don't raid or competitively PvP or WvW, what does it matter?

I'll be 56 soon and I'm part of the first generation that grew up on video games (admittedly a faint shadow of what they have become today). I'm not going to stop playing just because I'm not interested in killing myself raiding. There's plenty of stuff in this game for a guy like me to do.

The builds I tend to make aren't meta builds, but they're more fire and forget builds. Phantasm builds on a chronomancer, for example, rather than a shatter build. I still shatter when I can resummon 2 phantasms, but it's not nearly as active. Daredevil is a very very easy build, using staff and dual pistol, for people who want to take it easier and still clear content.

I tend to stay away from eles and engies, not that I never play them but I don't play them as much or as hard. My engie is using a flame thrower build that works quite nicely that I call fire and forget. lol

56 is still young. It’s the new 36 haha. First generation gamer? That means you played the Atari 2600? My dad had one!

Ummm, I was there before the Atari 2600. I played a game called Phasar Battle, which was like a stand alone electronic shooting game. I was there when pong came out. They had this stupid three game set that hooked up to your TV it was pong, hand ball and haunted house. And haunted house came with a "game screen" that was a piece of plastic that you had to tape over your 19 inch television.

And probably told everyone you knew how great the Atari 2600 E.T. game was. :wink:

@JustTrogdor.7892 said:

And probably told everyone you knew how great the Atari 2600 E.T. game was. :wink:

Nah I was an Adventure guy. Man that game was awesome. lol

@Vayne.8563 said:

Don't think you got the joke. :)

@JustTrogdor.7892 said:

Don't think you got the joke. :)

Yeah yeah, it's still morning here and I haven't had coffee yet. I get it now....wooosh!

@Menadena.7482 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:I was working in a video game store when the Wii and PS3 were released and at least once a week we got a couple who had never played a video game before buying a Wii because they'd heard it was fun or tried it at a friends house

We were convinced to buy our WII (RIP) by my mother-in-law who was using it for wii fit.

I keep getting infracted by joining in on off topic discussions but my parents were the same, they bought a Wii purely for the fitness side of it.

@Legendary Defender.5631 said:You do know most if not all are going to lie about their age. for instance i said im over 80 when im not. just like some say they are under 9 when theyre not.

Seeing as the majority votes are in the 20-39 range. ....I would assume most aren't lying.

Do you know, that those who lie tend to assume everyone else does also? Even though such an assumption is often false.

odd, I saw someone saying "if you were born before 1980 then you think MMO's are childish" I was born way before 80's, in fact, graduated high school in the early 80's. I played Atari, heck I even played pong on the TV when that was a great thing. There were no computers in my school at all, not the library, not anywhere. Most of early college too. I am and have been a server engineer for over 20yrs now. I played Daggerfall for hours on end, UO (Ultima Online), I love the MMO genre and came from the early days. I don't think its childish at all. "I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.' C.S. Lewis. Being female, it was a little bit more difficult back then to not be labeled "receptionist" or things like that, and gaming and computer work? well, sometimes we were not as welcome as we are now in this time period. I am glad for that. I will always have fun in MMO's, I love the time I get to spend having fun with computers instead of work on them all the time. Staves off the burn out and always brings loud laughter and big smiles when I get to play.

@"Laurie.1698" said:odd, I saw someone saying "if you were born before 1980 then you think MMO's are childish" I was born way before 80's, in fact, graduated high school in the early 80's. I played Atari, heck I even played pong on the TV when that was a great thing. There were no computers in my school at all, not the library, not anywhere. Most of early college too. I am and have been a server engineer for over 20yrs now. I played Daggerfall for hours on end, UO (Ultima Online), I love the MMO genre and came from the early days. I don't think its childish at all. "I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.' C.S. Lewis. Being female, it was a little bit more difficult back then to not be labeled "receptionist" or things like that, and gaming and computer work? well, sometimes we were not as welcome as we are now in this time period. I am glad for that. I will always have fun in MMO's, I love the time I get to spend having fun with computers instead of work on them all the time. Staves off the burn out and always brings loud laughter and big smiles when I get to play.

If you are going to respond to something I am saying, please quote me directly so I am notified. Anyway, I am speaking in generalities. If you are looking for exceptions you'll find plenty, but when looking at the market as a whole the exceptions aren't as important as the mean flow. There is a certain age window in which our expectations are normalized, and if we aren't in the window then we aren't going to get it. I'm an obtuse person who has experiences in a lot of places, and I can definitely tell you that outside of our current age demographic and closely knit social circle, things like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and The Inhumans are the silliest things ever.

As for whether or not it is childish, that is a much bigger debate. My short answer is yes.

@Pimsley.3681 said:

Well, younger gamers are all thumbs when they have to move with WASD or arrow keys.

“all thumbs” is that a UK phrase/idiom? I am American but heard Hyacinth Bucket say it in one of the Keeping up Appearances episode. My parents love that show. It used to be on Netflix

Nah, I think it's most English-speaking countries. I'm in the USA, and I've used it as long as I can remember. Means "clumsy", I think. (If not, I've been using it wrong for ... well, let's not get into THAT again!)

@Vavume.8065 said:The fact that you are asking who is 0-9 I find extremely creepy...

Actually, it was just for completeness. I didn't want anybody to feel left out. (And, since there is someone in that range, I am glad I did!)

But, you bring up a good point, and that (the creepy thing) is one reason why Gaile had me start a new poll/thread.

@Daddicus.6128 said:

Well, younger gamers are all thumbs when they have to move with WASD or arrow keys.

“all thumbs” is that a UK phrase/idiom? I am American but heard Hyacinth Bucket say it in one of the Keeping up Appearances episode. My parents love that show. It used to be on Netflix

Nah, I think it's most English-speaking countries. I'm in the USA, and I've used it as long as I can remember. Means "clumsy", I think. (If not, I've been using it wrong for ... well, let's not get into THAT again!)

Hmm...In the US, maybe it's an older generation or regional phrase? Like from the Midwest or Bible belt area? It's not popular in coastal cities because of its transient nature and how pop-culture dictates the vocabulary. These days, people are just more direct and say, "Gee, you're clumsy AF"

Edit: But I do like idioms though. It's a more "colorful" use of language. Social media and the instant gratification nature of people these days have killed it.