Do raids need easy/normal/hard difficulty mode? [merged]

Lonami.2987

@STIHL.2489 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:No.. You should have never talked about a game you knew nothing about.

You brought the game up. What are you talking about? I even stated that I only did a basic google search which already showed the game design and encounter design to be vastly different.

So let me see if I got this right.. you walk into the discussion.. admit you know nothing but yet hope that you will beat someone with knowledge of both.

You know, before I raid, I try to get a clue before i walk in, You might want to try that with forum discussion, I don't know, running in blind hoping to win might be how you roll tho, I feel bad for your raid group.

I walked into the discussion having knowledge about raids in gw2, which is what this is actually about.

You started talking about other games raids and brought up TERA. Which I indulged.

You now decided to call it all off as a joke because, well I don't even know why. With now trying to point blame at me? Wow.

The discussion was about Raids in GW2, vs Raids in other games. You only had half the knowledge to have a civil discussion. That is a faulting on your part.

As mentioned my rading experience includes games as far back as DAoC (DAoC, WoW, Aion) as well as every boss in GW2.

You decided to bring up TERA and when asked to provide examples how they (TERA raids) are similar to GW2 even though the game is designed completely differently (30 man raids, tank and spank, progressive gearing) you decided to get personal and change the topic (aka abandon your TERA example). Part of your civil discussion was now removed. The rest can be read in this thread up to this point.

If yo didn't know anything about TERA, you should have stepped down and let someone who did, deal with it, as opposed to trying to be the hero and jumping into a discussion you were ill prepared to have.

The Gear Tredmill, as I said before, is irrelevant, GW2 did not have a gear treadmill before Raids, in fact, making a QoL gear upgrade like legendary Armor be raid exclusive, makes GW2, far more akin to TERA then it used to be. Which makes Raids yet another step back and in the wrong direction.

No.. you changed the topic by saying that people who object to raids in GW2 never raided. That also was your mistake.

Fractals were in the game long before raids, and that is the only 'forced' gear treadmill in the game.

Fractals were just skins.

Raids are just skins too. And he was talking about AR, which is the closest thing to gear treadmill this game has.

@Feanor.2358 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:No.. You should have never talked about a game you knew nothing about.

You brought the game up. What are you talking about? I even stated that I only did a basic google search which already showed the game design and encounter design to be vastly different.

So let me see if I got this right.. you walk into the discussion.. admit you know nothing but yet hope that you will beat someone with knowledge of both.

You know, before I raid, I try to get a clue before i walk in, You might want to try that with forum discussion, I don't know, running in blind hoping to win might be how you roll tho, I feel bad for your raid group.

I walked into the discussion having knowledge about raids in gw2, which is what this is actually about.

You started talking about other games raids and brought up TERA. Which I indulged.

You now decided to call it all off as a joke because, well I don't even know why. With now trying to point blame at me? Wow.

The discussion was about Raids in GW2, vs Raids in other games. You only had half the knowledge to have a civil discussion. That is a faulting on your part.

As mentioned my rading experience includes games as far back as DAoC (DAoC, WoW, Aion) as well as every boss in GW2.

You decided to bring up TERA and when asked to provide examples how they (TERA raids) are similar to GW2 even though the game is designed completely differently (30 man raids, tank and spank, progressive gearing) you decided to get personal and change the topic (aka abandon your TERA example). Part of your civil discussion was now removed. The rest can be read in this thread up to this point.

If yo didn't know anything about TERA, you should have stepped down and let someone who did, deal with it, as opposed to trying to be the hero and jumping into a discussion you were ill prepared to have.

The Gear Tredmill, as I said before, is irrelevant, GW2 did not have a gear treadmill before Raids, in fact, making a QoL gear upgrade like legendary Armor be raid exclusive, makes GW2, far more akin to TERA then it used to be. Which makes Raids yet another step back and in the wrong direction.

No.. you changed the topic by saying that people who object to raids in GW2 never raided. That also was your mistake.

Fractals were in the game long before raids, and that is the only 'forced' gear treadmill in the game.

Raids are just skins too. And he was talking about AR, which is the closest thing to gear treadmill this game has.

No.. the stat change ability of Legendary is a direct QoL feature, that marks it as distinctly better then ascended.

@STIHL.2489 said:

Irrelevant, and not correct.A gear treadmill refers to the continued grind in order to get stronger and stronger gear. This does not exist in GW2, as it caps on ascended stats. Fractals, and in particular the higher levels, forces the player to have ascended gear with infusions in order to be able to complete the content. Thats about as close to a treadmill as you get in this game.Raids do not do this, thus the discussion about raids introducing a gear treadmill is pretty much invalid from the start. Raids did not introduce a gear treadmill, but it did offer a long term qol-reward IF you decide to craft.

I don't expect you, as one of the most vocal members of the anti-raid community, to agree - but that doesnt really change anything in the actual matter.

LOL, It seems you all do not get what a Gear treadmill is. It' the introduction of better gear, for players to grind after. Ergo.. legendary items with it's direct QoL Stat Change features is a classic example of a Gear Treadmill feature. (This is different then AR which is a Hard Gear check for Fractals)

Now, I refuse to believe that people really are this out of it, so I am going to write this off and just people being irrational in their defense for their love of raids.

@STIHL.2489 said:LOL, It seems you all do not get what a Gear treadmill is. It' the introduction of better gear, for players to grind after. Ergo.. legendary items with it's direct QoL Stat Change features is a classic example of a Gear Treadmill feature. (This is different then AR which is a Hard Gear check for Fractals)

Now, I refuse to believe that people really are this out of it, so I am going to write this off and just people being irrational in their defense for their love of raids.

Since a legendary item is effectively 5-6 times the cost per slot compared to ascended (in case of armor, weapons it's approximately 10-20 times the cost), and there is currently approximately 4 different endgame stat sets available (and stat changing on ascended items exists), and there is a huge benefit to owning multiple ascended sets versus 1 legendary set in both management and changing of specs: can we consider legendary gear an actual downgrade to ascended gear?

It's by far not a gear treadmill, it didn't push stats and it most certainly is not required. On the contrary, the main benefit of legendary gear (weapons included, but let's not get into Sigils here) is visual. This holds even truer when comparing Living World Season 3 accessibility for trinkets versus the cost of only 1 legendary trinket.

@STIHL.2489 said:

Fractals launched as only method of ascended ring acquisition. That's more gear treadmill than you silly legendary gear example.

@STIHL.2489 said:LOL, It seems you all do not get what a Gear treadmill is. It' the introduction of better gear, for players to grind after. Ergo.. legendary items with it's direct QoL Stat Change features is a classic example of a Gear Treadmill feature. (This is different then AR which is a Hard Gear check for Fractals)

So you are saying that a QoL feature meant for saving inventory space is comparable to gear that makes your character stronger, sometimes deciding the difference between success and failure of a player?

@STIHL.2489 said:

No.. the stat change ability of Legendary is a direct QoL feature, that marks it as distinctly better then ascended.

The stat change is vastly overrated by the anti-raid crowd. The price of the legendary gear makes it a strictly luxury choice, as stat-swapping is available and orders of magnitude cheaper in the Mystic Forge. Legendaries were never a distinct tier and armor didn't change that.

@Coconut.7082 said:

So you are saying that a QoL feature meant for saving inventory space is comparable to gear that makes your character stronger, sometimes deciding the difference between success and failure of a player?

let me repeat myself.

You can take this as you will. But I am not going to waste time with strawmen.

@STIHL.2489 said:

let me repeat myself.

Maybe you should read again, you can call both examples "gear treadmill" or w/e name you like, but is it really comparable?

I won't waste my time on a strawman either, I'll just go and enjoy my exclusive legendary raid armor ^^

@STIHL.2489 said:

let me repeat myself.

YOU BROUGHT IT UP, once again. People are disagreeing on what you said because it's nonsense. Same as with raiding and similarities to TERA (which you still haven't backed up in any way). Once people disagree and bring actual arguments you feel pressured and back out shifting blame.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

let me repeat myself.

YOU BROUGHT IT UP, once again. People are disagreeing on what you said because it's nonsense. Same as with raiding and similarities to TERA (which you still haven't backed up in any way). Once people disagree and bring actual arguments you feel pressured and back out shifting blame.

We have both agreed that VG is a classic tank and spank.. you lost that one.

If you think just adding words to a discussion will change that.. You would also be wrong.

@Coconut.7082 said:

let me repeat myself.

Maybe you should read again, you can call both examples "gear treadmill" or w/e name you like, but is it really comparable?

I won't waste my time on a strawman either, I'll just go and enjoy my exclusive legendary raid armor ^^

Yes, they are both gear treadmills the same way steak and a watermelon are both food. Would really need me to explain how they are both food and yet not incidentally the same?

@Cyninja.2954 said:stat changing on ascended items exists

sure it does. as long as you're willing to outlay the gold to buy/make the inscription/insignia and replace all the runes/sigils/infusions. that could be pretty cheap... just a few gold... or it could get very costly if you have some of the fancier infusions.

people will and do grind for simple convenience/appearance features... ergo it is in fact a treadmill.

@katz.8376 said:

sure it does. as long as you're willing to outlay the gold to buy/make the inscription/insignia and replace all the runes/sigils/infusions. that could be pretty cheap... just a few gold... or it could get very costly if you have some of the fancier infusions.

people will and do grind for simple convenience/appearance features... ergo it is in fact a treadmill.

Except that you left out my entire part about how getting multiple sets of end gear ascended items is cheaper than getting 1 legendary item. Will owning a legendary eventually make up the difference? Sure, in 2-3 expansions.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

Except that you left out my entire part about how getting multiple sets of end gear ascended items is cheaper than getting 1 legendary item. Will owning a legendary eventually make up the difference? Sure, in 2-3 expansions.

yPbxiQA.jpg

Ya know what Cyninja.2954

Go for it , since you can't let this go.. have at it.. Explain to all of us, how Raids in Gw2, are somehow different then the raids in all the other MMO's like, Wildstar, EQ2, Lord of the Rings Online, FF14, and others.. go for it. You failed miserably with TERA, here is your big chance to shut me down.

Make it happen, prove to me that Raids in GW2 here are something unique, and special against all the other games with Raids in them.

@katz.8376 said:

yPbxiQA.jpg

So legendary armor is a QoL feature as far as inventory space. Yeah I'd agree to that.

How does this make it better compared to multiple ascended sets as far as actual cost and functionality? While inventory management is an issue, I doubt it's a bigger issue than gold cost or ease of use as far as changing specs.

Nice pic, still doesn't address the issue besides some comedic relief.

@STIHL.2489 said:

let me repeat myself.

Yes, they are both gear treadmills the same way steak and a watermelon are both food. Would really need me to explain how they are both food and yet not incidentally the same?

Apples and Oranges B)

@Coconut.7082 said:

let me repeat myself.

Apples and Oranges B)

And yet they are Both Fruit.

@Feanor.2358 said:Once again the anti-raid crowd is throwing out ridiculous claims and tries to defend them by repetition. Good job!

I'd love to hear a discussion that Didn't go like this.

• Raids are Special Unique Content that desrevs it's own rewards.
  • All PvE is PvE. raids are just PvE, Raids are the PvE path!
  • Raids deserve Legendary armor because it is the best in the game.
  • legendary Armor is not that special you don't need it.

I find it amusing that Raiders assume that players would clear the Easy Mode once and never go back. How do you explain the World Boss train, how do you explain people still doing Bounties, the HoT Metas, Silver Wastes?

Just give Raid Finder Raids the same Open World rewards you drop for Bounties, or Silver Wastes; you know people would consistently farm them too on weekly reset.

How do I know because I consistently do all the repeatable Open World content, been doing this for almost 5 years straight.

When I play WoW I do Raid Finder every reset, along with Heroics (yep I don't even mess with Mythic 5 Mans), and World Quests; guess what I see tons of people doing all that trash tier stuff there as well.

I can't fathom what Hardcore Raiders have to complain about, it's just sheer selfishness as this point.

@Cyninja.2954 said:How does this make it better compared to multiple ascended sets as far as actual cost and functionality? While inventory management is an issue, I doubt it's a bigger issue than gold cost or ease of use as far as changing specs.If i don't have the space for multiple sets of armor, i don't have the space. Period. In this case, an ability to change the stats becomes invaluable. And no, i won't be changing stats in MF and rebuying the runes everytime i switch between different PvE specs, or between PvE and WvW. I'd go bankrupt within a month (or faster).