Would you play in Palawadan if it didn't have such high rewards? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Would you play in Palawadan if it didn't have such high rewards?

maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited December 16, 2017 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Question in the OP.
I'm curious on how many play the Palawadan meta because it has good rewards and how many play there because they find it a really fun activity in the game.

Would you play in Palawadan if it didn't have such high rewards? 187 votes

Yes, I play the Palawadan meta because it's a fun activity and not for the rewards
20% 38 votes
No, without good rewards I wouldn't visit the Palawadan meta as much (or at all)
61% 115 votes
Other, I want to see the results
18% 34 votes
<1

Comments

• FrizzFreston.5290FrizzFreston.5290 Member ✭✭✭✭

In fact, I would actually be able to play the meta with less chests better as now before I catch up to the event I pick up all the chests first. After I caught up the event is usually already near the end.

• I haven't been back to Istan since the 2nd day of the release so...
    I just find the map boring compared to the other PoF maps.

• lokh.2695lokh.2695 Member ✭✭✭✭

It is a fun activity, just like many of the event chains in the open world are fun activities. But what keeps ppl coming back are the rewards. There has to be either something special to earn, like a title, a skin or a mini, or the gold rewards need to be good/reasonable. Palawadan rewards a good amount of money for the timer it's on and the time you spend doing the events. Serpent's Ire for example has really abysmal rewards for the timer it's on, the time it takes to finish and the amount of players and organisation it takes. That's why ppl still play the silverwastes years after its release but hardly anyone does Serpent's Ire after they're done with the corresponding achievements.

If you want X, and Y is needed to get get X, you also have to want Y if you really want X. If you don't want Y, you don't want X. It's easy.
    Pro: Build Templates, Dungeon Rework, UW content
    Contra: New Races, New Classes, New Weapons, Capes

• maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Erasculio.2914 said:
    You are missing the option of "I already don't play in Palawadan even with the current rewards because it simply isn't fun for me".

I'm disappointed in the design of meta events since the release of PoF. HoT has some really cool events, but even those in Istan are very "meh" for me.

You are right I forgot that option.
    I agree with you the meta events since Path of Fire have been disappointing, while Heart of Thorns has far better meta events.

• Mea.5491Mea.5491 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2017

People love rewards because they want shinies, it's a good way to keep open world maps crowded. Meta events should always have good rewards because they require time and cooperation. Most people don't like to waste their limited free time on things that give no rewards (or crappy rewards).
    Edit: I disagree with new metas not being fun, btw. I really enjoy them!

• xDudisx.5914xDudisx.5914 Member ✭✭✭

I dont play it even with the rewards.

• Vavume.8065Vavume.8065 Member ✭✭✭✭

I don't play Palawdan, it is really not as rewarding as people think it is...

• CptAurellian.9537CptAurellian.9537 Member ✭✭✭✭

I rarely play Palawadan and if I do the rewards are rather secondary. These metas are fun once in a while, but I can't stand farming them. After all, it's open world trash.

Praise delta!

• Zaklex.6308Zaklex.6308 Member ✭✭✭✭

@CptAurellian.9537 said:
    I rarely play Palawadan and if I do the rewards are rather secondary. These metas are fun once in a while, but I can't stand farming them. After all, it's open world trash.

Actually, it's not open world trash, and if you have a real good group that knows what they hell they're doing then not only do you get the supply chests but you can get over a dozen Champions(two dozen or more if you kill them fast enough)..plus you can board the Corsair vessels and take them down without cannons. Besides, I enjoy killing Awakened...or anything related to Joko.

Yes...no...maybe...what do you want, can't you see I'm busy saving the world...AGAIN!

• @Erasculio.2914 said:
    You are missing the option of "I already don't play in Palawadan even with the current rewards because it simply isn't fun for me".

I'm disappointed in the design of meta events since the release of PoF. HoT has some really cool events, but even those in Istan are very "meh" for me.

PoF literally had no meta events - just a 45 minute chain event that wasn't rewarding in the slightest; Domain of Istan gave us the first real meta since PoF came out and I think it's absolutely great in design and rewards, I hope it stays like it is.

• Palawadan is kind of fun, but also pretty challenging, mainly because of the huuuuuge lag I experience in crowd settings, and with the huge number of special effects and tough mobs. While I might be willing to play the meta without so much loot in ORDINARY conditions, there is no way I would put up with the frustration of freezes, 1 fps moments, mobs that can kill me easily while my screen is frozen, jerky, awkward movement, etc. unless the payoff is well worth it.

• The meta event is far to rewarding for the effort it takes, and it shows its too rewarding for how many people turn up, but without those rewards that meta and the Great Hall will never be done after people have their achivments. I think they could tune it down a bit with out losing the incentive to play said meta. May be half the Volatile Magic and 1 peice of unidentified equipment of green or higher from each chest.

Another question would be would you still do this meta if the rewards were halved?

• @Cragga the Eighty Third.6015 said:
    Palawadan is kind of fun, but also pretty challenging, mainly because of the huuuuuge lag I experience in crowd settings, and with the huge number of special effects and tough mobs. While I might be willing to play the meta without so much loot in ORDINARY conditions, there is no way I would put up with the frustration of freezes, 1 fps moments, mobs that can kill me easily while my screen is frozen, jerky, awkward movement, etc. unless the payoff is well worth it.

Yes the lag with everyone on screen even at the lowest setting gets tiresome fast.

@Gilgamesh VII.8690 said:
    Another question would be would you still do this meta if the rewards were halved?

Before halving the rewards they should disable chest respawning. It's really silly to loot a chest then after you kill the last boss the chest respawned and you can loot it again. Looting the same chest multiple times is one of the reasons for the abnormal rewards.

• Gilgamesh VII.8690Gilgamesh VII.8690 Member ✭✭
    edited December 16, 2017

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Gilgamesh VII.8690 said:

Before halving the rewards they should disable chest respawning. It's really silly to loot a chest then after you kill the last boss the chest respawned and you can loot it again. Looting the same chest multiple times is one of the reasons for the abnormal rewards.

I belive they are on a timer and by the time you beat the final boss of the meta the first are usaly up agein, but also there is a limit of how many chest you can gather at one meta event as Iv seen them all dissappear after opening so many, There's a limit on how many you can open from what I have herd and if I remember I think Iv open 30 chests per cycle l. Ya I think these chest should only be able to open each chest once per cycle.

Also there's the problem of map hopping like we had with AB multiloot.

• Umut.5471Umut.5471 Member ✭✭✭

With zero loot, ofc I wouldn't go there. But if they nerf multi looting just like GH, it will still be fine enough to do it.
    But main PoF maps and metas need a rework as well. People still do HoT metas but I can't say the same thing for PoF maps.

• I like playing the that meta since it's not as restrictive nor as reliant on others as HoT metas. The huge amount of chests however bothers me since they force you to go back and collect them all, I'd prefer to either get less loot or get one big chest in the end.

As the old worlds fall behind
    Our spirit reaches wide
    With no fear breathing new life
    Awaken from the dark dark slumber

Wintersun - Awaken from the dark slumber (Spring) - Part II The Awakening

• STIHL.2489STIHL.2489 Member ✭✭✭✭

The Meta's in HoT sucked.

Don't do much PoF right now.. haven't even gotten off the first map. But truth be told, if I cared about loot and rewards, I would not be playing games. Games by design are supposed to waste your time and entertain you.. nothing more.

I can only pity Anyone that turns that into a job or work.

So I would not do a Meta or anything else, unless I enjoyed doing it.

There are two kinds of Gamers, Salty, and Extra Salty.
    Ego is the Anesthesia that dullens the pain of Stupidity.

• Feanor.2358Feanor.2358 Member ✭✭✭✭

Personally, I would occasionally play it just for fun, if I happen to be at the right time. But I doubt there would be enough players. Unlike HoT metas, this one isn't required for anything, so I expect it to die without decent rewards.

• Belorn.2659Belorn.2659 Member ✭✭✭

Would I had farmed silver waste without the rewards? No.
    Would I had farmed AB without the rewards? No.
    Would I have farmed TD without needing the eggs? No.
    Would I have farmed DS without needing the ore? No.

So the answer is no. I prefer that Palawadan stays a bit above what silverwaste gives, so that the silver waste farm can die a natural death.

• Nope, I wouldn't do Palawadan without the rewards. There is no sense of victory cuz of how easy it is, no interesting mechanics aside from attacking the ships. It was so boring for me to play that I stopped playing it even though I like how rewarding it is.

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

I've only done it a couple of times and because everything moves so fast and there's so many people around that means I've only done parts of the meta event. I want to do it at least enough times to be sure I've done the whole thing.

But I do also enjoy the big meta-events so I'll probably continue to do it on and off after that.

"You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea,
    And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams,
    And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek,
    It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings."

• Fantasy.5321Fantasy.5321 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2018

I do this meta with 1 character (no multiloot for me) and it's still totally worth it.

• I didn't play AB/ML despite its rewards because it was dull, dull, dull. I could maybe run through two Tarirs without falling asleep. Istan is the same. It's fun enough once or twice, but after a while, it's just loot.

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

• Ayakaru.6583Ayakaru.6583 Member ✭✭✭✭

Yes, but less.
    Its a fun meta, but considering i don't always have the time to play what i want..

To defeat the dragons, see the good in them.
    Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
    ..jormag? Who's that?

Minor Note:

The ONLY game mode that has survived bad loot is WvW.

• I would prefer if the loot just dropped in shaking chests as you completed events rather than having to run all over the place opening in-world boxes. Or at least if they would be auto-lootable like some other chests.

• @uhhsam.1203 said:
    I would prefer if the loot just dropped in shaking chests as you completed events rather than having to run all over the place opening in-world boxes. Or at least if they would be auto-lootable like some other chests.

For me, part of the fun is hunting down the chests and getting through the angry awakened long enough to grab them. (Thank goodness there's none of those timers to open them.)

• Tails.9372Tails.9372 Member ✭✭✭✭

@STIHL.2489 said:
    Minor Note:

World bosses disagree.

@Tails.9372 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:
    Minor Note:

World bosses disagree.

Eh, World Bosses have always been profitable, WvW at one time was a net loss to play.

@STIHL.2489 said:

@Tails.9372 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:
    Minor Note:

World bosses disagree.

Eh, World Bosses have always been profitable, WvW at one time was a net loss to play.

Killing the svanir guy was never profitable and yet people are still farming him to this day.

edited December 16, 2017

@Tails.9372 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:

@Tails.9372 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:
    Minor Note:

World bosses disagree.

Killing the svanir guy was never profitable and yet people are still farming him to this day.

You mean Maw.. that guarantees you at the very least 3 rewards from mini evens, and a Yellow? Just asking, because I am no sure what other guy there is, but you might be thinking someone else.

• Just kicking around Joko's minions is reward enough for me. <3

Asura fanatic.
    World's largest Zojja fan.
    Illconceived Was Na fanboy.

edited December 16, 2017

@STIHL.2489 said:
    You mean Maw.. that guarantees you at the very least 3 rewards from mini evens, and a Yellow?

Which is bad loot. Doing random stuff in maps like harathi hinterlands is already way more profitable than doing the vast majority of world bosses and yet people are still farming them.

edited December 16, 2017

@Tails.9372 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:
    You mean Maw.. that guarantees you at the very least 3 rewards from mini evens, and a Yellow?

Which is bad loot. Doing random stuff in maps like harathi hinterlands is already way more profitable than doing the vast majority of world bosses and yet people are still farming them.

LOL.. No No No.. That's not even close to bad loot.

Maybe not Optimal, It's nowhere near close to bad.

See "Bad Loot"is when you took a loss.

Now, IF you never played WvW before, the current mode is PvE cake walk mode. When it started, upgrading locations (camps/towers/keeps) cost players gold (which they never got back, dying cost coin, repairs cost coin, and the actual loot that dropped was so dismal that at the end of the day most WvW had a net loss.

That's "Bad Loot"when it costs more to do the content then it rewards.

And ONLY WvW has survived through this.

• Westenev.5289Westenev.5289 Member ✭✭✭✭

The meta event is fun, but I wouldn't really want to farm it.

edited December 17, 2017

@STIHL.2489 said:

@Tails.9372 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:

Now, IF you never played WvW before, the current mode is PvE cake walk mode. When it started, upgrading locations (camps/towers/keeps) cost players gold (which they never got back, dying cost coin, repairs cost coin, and the actual loot that dropped was so dismal that at the end of the day most WvW had a net loss.

You're confusing money gain / loss with loot value. Farming some of the S3 maps or the silverwastes is "not optimal" loot, the vast majority of world bosses give you bad loot. "Only WvW survived despite being an "unrewarding" drain on your pocket", not "Only WvW survived despite having bad loot".

edited December 17, 2017

@Tails.9372 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:

@Tails.9372 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:

You're confusing money gain / loss with loot value. Farming some of the S3 maps or the silverwastes is "not optimal" loot, the vast majority of world bosses give you bad loot. "Only WvW survived despite being an "unrewarding" drain on your pocket", not "Only WvW survived despite having bad loot".

We shall disagree on the difference between what is "poor loot" and "bad loot"

But how about this.

shall we agree that only WvW has survived with having "unrewarding loot".

After all .. my guild mate just pulled a Zap yesterday from Jormag.

• FOX.3582FOX.3582 Member ✭✭✭

I farmed the rest of my leggy armor there so, I ain't complaining. :p

• Evolute.6239Evolute.6239 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2017

It's fun, but it's not so much fun that I would do it if the rewards were mediocre. They did that for POF, and I never returned for months until they buffed metas. And even then I only return if I need trade contracts or something.

Istan is great for T6 mats and volatile magic and it should probably stay that way. It's a good niche for a map. Now at least I can do VB > TD > AB > Istan and feel like I progressed my account, which is a new thing for POF.

• Esquilax.3491Esquilax.3491 Member ✭✭✭

@STIHL.2489 said:

@Tails.9372 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:

WvW has reward tracks for skins, gift of battle and tracks for legendary armor and backpack... the loot drops isn't the reason people play it. I would argue it's actually one of the most rewarding modes, its just reallly really grindy so you need to actually enjoy it (or hate yourself) to dedicate yourself to some of the more major rewards.

He is right about World bosses are by far the worst, you get 1 yellow from an event that takes 15 minutes. Thats 4 yellows an hour, bleh.

• Klipso.8653Klipso.8653 Member ✭✭✭✭

It's a generic world event with bosses you can easily zerg over, nothing special about it that makes it fun, just very good loot

-Balwarc [ICoa]

• Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

I don't think it will matter for me in the long run. Just need something to distract me for long enough then I'll forget about it. Even now I only do it when I happen to be there at the same time it is up. It's just that I happen to be in the map some what frequently right now. Most often to do the Astralarium heart so I can buy more sickles.

@Esquilax.3491 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:

@Tails.9372 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:

WvW has reward tracks for skins, gift of battle and tracks for legendary armor and backpack... the loot drops isn't the reason people play it. I would argue it's actually one of the most rewarding modes, its just reallly really grindy so you need to actually enjoy it (or hate yourself) to dedicate yourself to some of the more major rewards.

He is right about World bosses are by far the worst, you get 1 yellow from an event that takes 15 minutes. Thats 4 yellows an hour, bleh.

It hard when people miss the major things.

Let me say this again:

4 years ago there was none of that, nothing, no reward tracks, no armor, no weapons, nothing, and the gift of battle was 500 badges (kill players or flip points). WvW players are the only group who went though the worst rewards in the game, and still years late play the mode.

And even today.. nahh man.. all that stuff was PvE first, That's like saying "hand me downs are the best clothing" spare me.

• flavor of the meta month or second again huh ,. least they come up with better names. even tho all meta is boring and should be removed from the game altogether :# :#

• katz.8376katz.8376 Member ✭✭✭

@Esquilax.3491 said:

it has that NOW... those are relatively recent additions... and even then all the improvements weren't added all at the same time. when the game launched, and for a good 2 years or so without any real meaningful change... WvW was horrid for your gold supplies. you had to repair your armor. you had to pay to start upgrades, and the bigger the upgrade, the more expensive it was. the only way to buy siege was gold from the merchant right there. couldn't even sell it to each other for a reduced rate. if you were ACTIVE in attacking and defending and upgrading, it was nothing to blow thru 10 gold or so a night just keeping everything upgraded and sieged up (more than that if you went crazy with the golems or superior siege)...and that's not even including food costs. serious WvWers were FORCED to run dungeons (the go-to cash-cow back in the day) and world bosses to make up for what they LOST running WvW. a tag cost only (only!) 100 gold... but if you wanted to tag on your alt character instead of your main? that was another 100 gold. want a gift of battle? kill enough dudes on the field to EARN your 500 badges. want a gift of exploration because you want a shiny weapon? yup... you had to explore the borderlands too.. all of them, because even tho all 3 of the BLs are the same map... each one is "different"

then, in no particular order, (but also not all at the same time, but rather in dribs and drabs over the years).. they removed armor damage when outmanned, they added vendors that let you buy exotic armor and weapons for a reduced gold cost + badges (didn't exist before.. had to buy/craft/luck into your kit), added ascended trinkets for reduced cost + badges, they removed the wvw map requirement from world exploration, they removed armor repair cost completely, they changed structure upgrades to automatic based on number of dolyak deliveries, and then finally... FINALLY... added WvW reward tracks very similar to PvP tracks...AND they FINALLY added a way to get legendary equipment from WvW

the way WvW is now is a luxury compared to how it was at the start...should have been that way all along, but eh shrug

• Wanze.8410Wanze.8410 Member ✭✭✭

I just find it funny that since PoF got released, everybody ran around praising Joko on social networks but as soon as they were given the chance to steal loot from him, they farmed his City to the ground.

@Wanze.8410 said:
    I just find it funny that since PoF got released, everybody ran around praising Joko on social networks but as soon as they were given the chance to steal loot from him, they farmed his City to the ground.

Loot is more important that anything else ;)

• Ayakaru.6583Ayakaru.6583 Member ✭✭✭✭

My one request is to remove chests during the event. Im constantly pulled out of the mission to loot them, or missing out on half the loots since all chests reset after Iberu’s death.
    Instead, can’t all chests apear after Iberu’s death, and a popup chest whose quality depends on how many events you’ve done

To defeat the dragons, see the good in them.
    Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
    ..jormag? Who's that?

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.