DODGE JUMP BUTTON

@"TechAssist.4635" said:You can do directional key 'AWSD' + 'V" instead of double directional key "AWSD". You can also turn off the double tap to evade [which i find helps with jump puzzles] in the F11 General Options Tab in the catagory Combat/Movement.

OP is talking about dodgejumping as in combining jump+dodge in one move.

@OGDeadHead.8326 said:

@"TechAssist.4635" said:You can do directional key 'AWSD' + 'V" instead of double directional key "AWSD". You can also turn off the double tap to evade [which i find helps with jump puzzles] in the F11 General Options Tab in the catagory Combat/Movement.

OP is talking about
dodgejumping
as in combining jump+dodge in one move.

Ahh 10-4 hahaha

• 3 months later...

@Jam.3258 said:Pressing jump+dodge works for me, but forward+jump+dodge doesn't. Whenever I press all three keys on my keyboard simultaneously only two keys will register, so it's never going to work.

Sounds like you need a better keyboard then. Most office/membrane style keyboards only have 2-3 key rollover. Fine for typing, terrible for gaming.

• Confused 1

I don't, but n-key rollover wasn't my number one priority when I bought it. I went for something that was good for typing (Who'd have thought that's what someone would buy a keyboard for!). Managed to do SAB without the dodge-jump, but getting stuck in tribulation just because I hadn't bought the "right" keyboard seems a bit poo.

• Like 1

@Jam.3258 said:Pressing jump+dodge works for me, but forward+jump+dodge doesn't. Whenever I press all three keys on my keyboard simultaneously only two keys will register, so it's never going to work.

Recently I've noticed a significant improvement with the dodge jump. I'm guessing a Dev went in and made it easier to do.

I can confirm that even with 0 ms delay between my inputs (on my end), I cannot reliably dodgejump due to my ping being high (~150-180ish ingame) as I live in NA but I play in EU. The problem is that dodge jumping is very ping reliant as it requires two inputs in quick succession so if your client isn't sending the inputs quickly enough to the server, it won't perform both actions because your client will receive data from the server telling it to perform whatever the first action is and then start executing it before it receives the data for the second one. The only way it works is if before the first input is executed, your client receives the data to execute the second one as well. This is why when you are attempting and failing at dodge jumping, you'll end up just doing a normal jump or a normal dodge.

The only solution for this would be to add a separate function altogether that combines both actions into a single action and make it possible to bind it to a key. This way it would be literally impossible for a dodge jump to fail for the reasons it does currently.

• Thanks 2

That could make sense if character initiated movement actions would be server-side.But it isn't. You can jump and dodge at client side. Go figure - unplug your network cable and try dodge-jumping. It still works as if online (except you won't drain / gain energy which is controlled server-side). Which is also why ArenaNet is very pleased about reports of players manipulating their movement and coordinates, as it isn't even checked thoroughly server-side.This has nothing to do with ping.

• 4 years later...

I'm a newish player and have been fiddling with this a bit today.  The first thing I notices is that though it IS possible to jump dodge using JUMP + DODGE simultaneously, I find it waaaay to fickle and unreliable.  After about 15 minutes of practicing I find the best way is to JUMP then after a very quick delay (1/4 second maybe) hit DODGE.  

The other thing that helped is that I mapped DODGE to my middle mouse button (scroll wheel).  I just press down and I dodge so I just need to hit the space bar, wait a split second then hit my middle mouse button and voila!!!

• Sad 1