How old are you? (take 2)

Daddicus.6128

@"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:Getting the younger generation interest is pretty hard, too. "Hey, Kids! Do you want to play with pieces of cardboard with pictures of dragons on them? It'll only take a week to learn all the rules, but then you can make-believe that you're on an obscure TV show that airs in a foreign nation." I imagine the MMO market is a little easier, but compared to IOS games an MMO seems nigh unassailable. At least I think that's what the kids are doing nowadays.

There is a young market for card games, simply because cards are collectible. A lot of kids are magpies, it's why children's pockets are famous for being full of odd little things. My niece and nephew love card games. The collection aspect pulls them in.

I have played since the chicken crossed the road - Required a tape to load it- My father build with a team the first computer's for a large company in Victoria Australia - They took up a whole large room - Was the space invader Champ back in the day in NSW Australia - Played all the well known games up to date - Gaming - No problem in our household as we both game away- In a game- You Are Forever Young- Cheers :)

It is actally very hard to compete with computers for the attention of children, even with a skritty device of only the size of a matchbox. I always bunk on the ability of their own imagionation and the desire to build something instead of simply consuming it, but the lure of games like Clash Royale is really strong.

Time and place are also a factor. Where I live, children fall out of the already voluntary daycare when they are around the age of 11. You can be sure that a regular institution of daycare is boring an 11 year old to tears already with their ancient education methods of crafting to keep the fingers busy and listening to elders which they gingerly packed into new clothes and called modern, and most of them are really glad when they can leave them. Next comes open youth care, a place where juveniles have to appear on their own and are basically supervised while doing stuff on their own, an already superior concept that is surprisingly not much aided by the government. This is the first place when you can actually bunk of the children to use their imagination instead of trying to fit in the hamsterwheel that we call school here.

• 1 year later...

One of the reasons gw2 is so friendly and people are polite is because there are a lot of older people playing ....less kids .....I recently saw some gw2 content guy on YouTube quit gw2 cos he didn't feel like anyone cared about his videos .....ffs....our kids watch DANTDM....we are not Going to watch a clone of him playing gw2 ....if its not a guide or a nice piece of artwork ....30 to 50 year olds don't care lol ....we don't know what twitch is.....but we all have money to spend cos of our age and spend it on gw2 so the game will last for years xx

I was born in 1977 when Rumors by Fleetwood mac was released (one of the best albums ever :D). My 2 years younger brother got me into gaming . I started with Dune 2000 and I have played since then most of the rts, city builders, tycoon games on the market for thousands upon thousands of hours. He never managed to get me to like rpg games, but then, completely out of coincidence I bought GW Nightfall. That was the start of a new gaming chapter in my life as you can imagine. My hubby is also a gaming geek and we all play GW2 almost daily (including my brother who lives abroad). We now try to convince his wife to join us in game lol. So far she just enjoys the soundtrack though :/Cheers!xx

@SpaceCowboy.5092 said:One of the reasons gw2 is so friendly and people are polite is because there are a lot of older people playing ....less kids .....I recently saw some gw2 content guy on YouTube quit gw2 cos he didn't feel like anyone cared about his videos .....kitten....our kids watch DANTDM....we are not Going to watch a clone of him playing gw2 ....if its not a guide or a nice piece of artwork ....30 to 50 year olds don't care lol ....we don't know what twitch is.....but we all have money to spend cos of our age and spend it on gw2 so the game will last for years xx

It's also one of the reasons why anet is looking to expand their portfolio. The majority of their customer base is probably in the group you mentioned. That's like zero future growth.

Or, most of the younger players don't come to the forums to hang out. They are watching twitch I guess.

@Hawken.7932 said:Interesting that there are a majority in 20-29. That’s actually a very positive thing to see, and not what I expected. It’s nice to see a new generation interested in MMOs.

It's actually only the largest group on this poll. We don't know how that is divided either, but a majority of the players are 30 and up if you total it.(for this pole and depending on how you want to group it) if I look at it, under 30 or over 30, who is the majority?

I feel like the the first 2 groups don't respond because they don't come to forums. So, it's an unknown but likely a mirror to the right side of the third group.

We got the game, about a year and a half ago, for my wife as she missed playing fantasy MMOs but it turned out that the motion gave her nausea like so many such games these days. I hadn't wanted to play this game as it was owned by NCSoft and I was a CoH exile who'd still not forgiven. I set up an account anyway to help her out and in the short time we played I (natural) got hooked. I'm 51 my wife is 5 year younger and our daughter, who has played almost as long is almost 12. I don't feel like I'm going to be stopping playing games anytime soon and I know my wife badly misses playing fantasy style games, MMO or single player and it seems like our daughter is really into it as she enjoyed running around in SWL with me and has really enjoyed jumping into the resurrected CoH. Still, GW2 is currently her fave as she loves running around as an Asura along with the TINY guild.

@OriOri.8724 said:I loved the new one and loved the old one, and was born quite a bit before 2016. Just because you didn't like it doens't means that no one is allowed to like both.

Ghostbusters 2 was already a pretty bad movie in my book, and I loved its prequel - but nowadays there are 99% bad remakes of classics, or new sequels of classics that are also 99% badly written and unnecessary (like the industry lacks creative minds to come up with something original amidst the surfeit of new films each year).

@spjones.1528 said:We got the game, about a year and a half ago, for my wife as she missed playing fantasy MMOs but it turned out that the motion gave her nausea like so many such games these days. I hadn't wanted to play this game as it was owned by NCSoft and I was a CoH exile who'd still not forgiven. I set up an account anyway to help her out and in the short time we played I (natural) got hooked. I'm 51 my wife is 5 year younger and our daughter, who has played almost as long is almost 12. I don't feel like I'm going to be stopping playing games anytime soon and I know my wife badly misses playing fantasy style games, MMO or single player and it seems like our daughter is really into it as she enjoyed running around in SWL with me and has really enjoyed jumping into the resurrected CoH. Still, GW2 is currently her fave as she loves running around as an Asura along with the TINY guild.

I am also super prone to motion sickness but I avoid it in GW2 via camera settings (wide FoV, high zoom, etc). I've posted them before, not sure which forums, if you think it might help then PM me for details. It'd be great if your wife could join you in Tyria.

@Donari.5237 said:

@spjones.1528 said:We got the game, about a year and a half ago, for my wife as she missed playing fantasy MMOs but it turned out that the motion gave her nausea like so many such games these days. I hadn't wanted to play this game as it was owned by NCSoft and I was a CoH exile who'd still not forgiven. I set up an account anyway to help her out and in the short time we played I (natural) got hooked. I'm 51 my wife is 5 year younger and our daughter, who has played almost as long is almost 12. I don't feel like I'm going to be stopping playing games anytime soon and I know my wife badly misses playing fantasy style games, MMO or single player and it seems like our daughter is really into it as she enjoyed running around in SWL with me and has really enjoyed jumping into the resurrected CoH. Still, GW2 is currently her fave as she loves running around as an Asura along with the TINY guild.

I am also super prone to motion sickness but I avoid it in GW2 via camera settings (wide FoV, high zoom, etc). I've posted them before, not sure which forums, if you think it might help then PM me for details. It'd be great if your wife could join you in Tyria.Same here. I remember back when Wizardry 8 and Ultima Underworld were new, I sooo wanted to play them and couldn't play either due to motion sickness. There are elements in GW2 that I have to be careful around (mount movement especially), but mostly camera settings can be tweaked so that it rarely is a problem (unlike ESO for example). Turning off post processing and turning down shadows and reflextions are other things (in addition to FoV and zoom) that have a huge impact on whether I have problems with GW2 or not.

@Rasimir.6239 said:

@"Rpgtabbycat.5869" said:I'm honestly surprised there aren't more teenagers playing. I'm not a teen but I just find that statistic interesting. Also surprised by the number of pre-teens. I thought that count would be 0.Not everyone comes to the forum. In my family, three of us are playing GW2, mostly on a daily basis. I'm the only one that posts on (or even reads the) forums. There's an age difference of 36 years between the oldest and youngest of us, so no matter where I put my vote, the outcome will not reflect the whole household but only one part of it.

Btw, in my (casual) guild there is an age difference of 53 years between the oldest and youngest member ;) .Update after a year and a half: since my husband finally started playing GW2, the age range in our family now spans 46 years across 4 players (two teenagers, two "oldies"). That said I'm still pretty much the only one participating on the forums.