Returning Player - Good 2 Player Combo?

Inkcharm.2541

It has been ages since I've placed GW2... roughly two years, I believe, since I logged on, and factually it's been even longer since I actively played.I have the core game from way back when, no expansions. I levelled an elementalist and a guardian to 80, and a necromancer to 50. Toyed around with several other classes, too.Now a friend wants to try out the game, never having played it before. She's looking into potentially playing a guardian, and I'm thinking of what to play with her. Another elementalist could be fun and comfortable to get back into the game with.What are other good two player combos? How viable are necromancers, engineers, rangers and mesmers these days?Mainly looking for PvE content here. Something viable throughout the levels, perhaps even endgame content - no idea how long we'll play, but it's good to have that option open, I believe. Who knows, if we have all the fun, we might even buy the expansions.

Any recommendations?

TBH I don't really have a specific recommendation and I doubt there's a combo that would really suck. So my advice would be: make sure your friend picks a class she'll probably like and don't worry too much about class synergy, it'll be there, and if it isn't, you'll have plenty of build options to rectify. Have fun!

This is one of the great parts about GW2, in my opinion. All professions have synergy with each other. There are not really any "bad" duos, especially in (non hardcore) PvE content. All I can recommend is that both you and her pick a profession each that you enjoy! As for your other question regarding engineers, rangers, mesmers and necromancers - to my knowledge all of them are in fairly good positions. In fractals all professions have at least one build that is considered viable - some more than others obviously, but all professions have their pros and cons.As far as I am concerned, rangers, necromancers and engineers have loads of viable builds with both elite specializations and even some core builds being viable - so you can pick and choose rather freely. As for mesmer, I cant really tell you much since I dont know much about them (anymore) in PvE. Have not played one since launch :)

Happy hunting!

The worst interaction that happens is if one of you plays a character that relies on condition fields, and the other one plays a character that likes to knock enemies around (out of the conditions (F***ing Rangers)). If you avoid this one SNAFU, you should be good with anything.

I didn't play all the classes, and I'm not a veteran, so I can't really suggest anything in particular. Combo fields are not exclusive of few classes, so you should be able to find some sinergy with all of them (if in doubt, you can check some build editor. But that's some plus that comes after, for the core game it's not that important imho.The only thing that I find annoying is when I play a melee class and some mesmer (with greatsword 5) or ranger (bow 4) move my target away. While I find very useful to have a melee class when I play the elementalist, so that I don't waste my fire field/AoE. But again, it's just a plus, not a requirement.

• 1 year later...

@Inkcharm.2541 said:It has been ages since I've placed GW2... roughly two years, I believe, since I logged on, and factually it's been even longer since I actively played.I have the core game from way back when, no expansions. I levelled an elementalist and a guardian to 80, and a necromancer to 50. Toyed around with several other classes, too.Now a friend wants to try out the game, never having played it before. She's looking into potentially playing a guardian, and I'm thinking of what to play with her. Another elementalist could be fun and comfortable to get back into the game with.What are other good two player combos? How viable are necromancers, engineers, rangers and mesmers these days?Mainly looking for PvE content here. Something viable throughout the levels, perhaps even endgame content - no idea how long we'll play, but it's good to have that option open, I believe. Who knows, if we have all the fun, we might even buy the expansions.

Any recommendations?

You can solo combo, with Guardian (no elite specilization) can have acces to Light combos and finishers but just for cleanese.

Edit: Thieves can trigger poison combos

@abelsgmx.7530 said:

@Inkcharm.2541 said:It has been ages since I've placed GW2... roughly two years, I believe, since I logged on, and factually it's been even longer since I actively played.I have the core game from way back when, no expansions. I levelled an elementalist and a guardian to 80, and a necromancer to 50. Toyed around with several other classes, too.Now a friend wants to try out the game, never having played it before. She's looking into potentially playing a guardian, and I'm thinking of what to play with her. Another elementalist could be fun and comfortable to get back into the game with.What are other good two player combos? How viable are necromancers, engineers, rangers and mesmers these days?Mainly looking for PvE content here. Something viable throughout the levels, perhaps even endgame content - no idea how long we'll play, but it's good to have that option open, I believe. Who knows, if we have all the fun, we might even buy the expansions.

Any recommendations?

You can solo combo, with Guardian (no elite specilization) can have acces to Light combos and finishers but just for cleanese.

Edit: Thieves can trigger poison combos

You are two years late mate :D