Game Crash & Disconnection Issues [merged]

Unfortunately, that Microsoft patch did not resolve the issue. Still get the same thing happening - Guild Wars 2 just freezes in place and there's nothing to do but to Ctrl-Alt-Delete and sign out to make Windows kill the game. Happened to me just now when I tried to run the race course in Divinity's Reach (not on mount). I ran the whole thing, saw the finish line, and TONS of people on mounts behind the finish line and it froze as soon as all those mounts came into view. Never passed the finish line....

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The game froze again while waiting at Shatterer after the latest patch, so there was nothing in that patch fixing the freezing issue. People mounting up and Freeze - ctrl-alt-delete - sign out - start Guild Wars 2 again, logging back in again hoping to get back to the same instance and Shatterer not killed before I got back.

Can we please get someone from Anet to acknowledge this issue at some point?

Only makes it a bit worse, when it freezes there aren't any options but to hard boot the PC. This also means it doesn't create a error report to send in. Not sure if its related to the random ability flashes that started occuring around the same Oct patch or not, haven't seen a pattern between the two instances.

2 freezez in a short period of time. Game has been freezing about 5 times for me. and as everyone else has already spoken out, sound but nothing else... a reset of the computer is needed.game is on an SSD, cpu is 6700k. 16gb ram 2666 mhz. gtx 1080 .... everything but the ram, clocked 5-10% extra. Game was fluid until about two weeks ago. now it freezes randomly and without warning or solution.... im still going to play. but it bothers me alot, the path of fire events are broken and have to restart whatever i was doing after every crash-.-

@Trae.2384 said:

@"Neil Holmes.8507" said:Every time win 10 updates my drivers I re-install the one I was using and run directx_Jun2010_redist because I find its all about the dx9 compatibility. I'm not clever enough to explain why / how this works but works for me every time and I have seen all the issues listed above. Hope this helps someone

So when you say "the one I was using" what exactly are you talking about? Which driver?

I was using 378.66 however since this weeks windows update it crashes again,. I realised that windows had "updated" my drivers. So I tried the latest 388.59 and still have crashes and my old dx9 trick does now not seem to work with this driver edition. Think I'm going to try a clean install of 378.66

ok, can someone reply to me on this question

starts with i loose sound made from weapon and other but background music is playing, after that i freeze but sometimes i see mouse coursor and can move it sometimes i don't, and if i wait 5-10 seconds everything goes back to normal. is that problem related with gw2 or computer since its new computer 2 weeks old, and gw2 is only game i play

@Filfluppo.9671 said:ok, can someone reply to me on this question

starts with i loose sound made from weapon and other but background music is playing, after that i freeze but sometimes i see mouse coursor and can move it sometimes i don't, and if i wait 5-10 seconds everything goes back to normal. is that problem related with gw2 or computer since its new computer 2 weeks old, and gw2 is only game i play

It might be effect of SSD problems. Microsoft did something really bad to those disks stability about a year ago. Check your Administrative Tools->Event Viewer if there is some information about this. Don't worry this is most likely not your hardware failure.

I have the same issue too. Computer is fine and game works fine, but freezes. I searched the reason with my friend who plays with me and finally we got it. The reason is new mount skins! Whenever he mounts the new jackal, my game freezes. With old mount skins there is no problem. Halloween skins are fine, and winter skins too. But those u can get from black lion trading company with Mount Adoption Lisence are freezing. Arenanet should do something and fast. This is really pissing me off... And btw, I don't have any of those new skins... Other players are freezing my game... :angry:

I have played GW2 since beta with no issues on my systems. This current system has been running GW2 fine for over a year. Within the past 3-4 months I have started experiencing a problem where I can patch, login, select a character, but once I am in the game within 10 minutes my computer hard locks and my system reboots. I left it alone for a month to see if a gpu patch or gw2 patch would fix it and it hasnt. Also no new drivers are available from my component manufacturers.That said the symptom suggests a hardware error but I have exhaustively tested this system for hardware failure and found nothing. I have done the following:

RAM:-memtest86 2 weeks of 5 no error passes a day-replaced RAM completely-ensured ram is running stock, without XMPMotherboard:-ensured BIOS is up to date-flashed the newest update again anyway-replaced motherboard and ensured bios is up to date-checked for seating problems or loose power connections-checked heat levelsGPU:-updated driver-reinstalled win 10 pro 64 bit fresh with new driver-tried known good gpu that ran GW2 for several years without issue (780 ti) , problem still occurs-tried reseating-tried underclocking-tried overclocking (a little)-tried stock settings-tried torture test while monitoring heat levels (never exceeded 70 C)Storage:-replaced all hard drives-switched to full solid state drives (new drives)-put GW2 on an M.2 drive-wiped all drives fully with backup system and reinstalled Win 10 pro 64 bit (2nd windows reinstall).PSU:-tested all PSU cables to ensure proper voltage-replaced PSU and tested new unit-old unit and new unit are within specFull system tests:-AIDA 64 torture (overnight)-prime 95-heaven benchmark-valley-tore system apart and rebuilt on test bench to check for case shorts (no change)

I have replaced all the components with known good components except for the cpu. I took a break from GW2 for over a month and played as many different games as possible and continued to run stress tests. I would encode video, stream, play taxing games (rise of the tomb raider etc), multi task as much as possible. Nothing makes my computer reset except guild wars 2. I have been building systems for friends since 2013 and I can not figure this out. I have seen other posts on the forums from folks that have the same build as me 6700K 1080 and are encountering the same random crashes shortly after loading into the game.Full system specs:--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Computer:Computer Type ACPI x64-based PCOperating System Microsoft Windows 10 ProOS Service Pack -Internet Explorer 11.64.16299.0 (IE 11.0.48)Edge 41.16299.15.0DirectX DirectX 12.0Computer Name DESKTOP-SUA5VFVUser Name SamLogon Domain DESKTOP-SUA5VFVDate / Time 2017-12-17 / 14:23

Motherboard:  CPU Type                                          QuadCore Intel Core i7-6700K, 4200 MHz (42 x 100)  Motherboard Name                                  Asus Maximus IX Hero  (3 PCI-E x1, 3 PCI-E x16, 2 M.2, 4 DDR4 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN)  Motherboard Chipset                               Intel Union Point Z270, Intel Skylake-S  System Memory                                     16320 MB  (DDR4 SDRAM)  DIMM2: Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15   8 GB DDR4-2133 DDR4 SDRAM  (16-15-15-36 @ 1066 MHz)  (15-15-15-36 @ 1066 MHz)  (14-14-15-35 @ 1037 MHz)  (13-13-14-32 @ 962 MHz)  (12-12-13-30 @ 888 MHz)  (11-11-12-27 @ 814 MHz)  (10-10-11-25 @ 740 MHz)  (9-9-10-22 @ 666 MHz)  DIMM4: Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15   8 GB DDR4-2133 DDR4 SDRAM  (16-15-15-36 @ 1066 MHz)  (15-15-15-36 @ 1066 MHz)  (14-14-15-35 @ 1037 MHz)  (13-13-14-32 @ 962 MHz)  (12-12-13-30 @ 888 MHz)  (11-11-12-27 @ 814 MHz)  (10-10-11-25 @ 740 MHz)  (9-9-10-22 @ 666 MHz)  BIOS Type                                         AMI (07/23/2017)Display:  Video Adapter                                     GeForce GTX 1080  (8 GB)  Video Adapter                                     GeForce GTX 1080  (8 GB)  Video Adapter                                     GeForce GTX 1080  (8 GB)  Video Adapter                                     GeForce GTX 1080  (8 GB)  3D Accelerator                                    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080  Monitor                                           Asus PB258  [25" AH-IPS LCD]  (G7LMTJ028422)  Monitor                                           Asus PB258  [25" AH-IPS LCD]  (G7LMTJ028281)Multimedia:  Audio Adapter                                     nVIDIA HDMI/DP @ nVIDIA GP104 - High Definition Audio Controller  Audio Adapter                                     Realtek ALC1220 @ Intel Union Point PCH - High Definition Audio Controller (Audio, Voice, Speech)Storage:  IDE Controller                                    Intel® 200 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller  Storage Controller                                Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller  Storage Controller                                Standard NVM Express Controller  Disk Drive                                        KINGSTON SA400S37120G  (120 GB, SATA-III)  Disk Drive                                        KINGSTON SH103S3240G  (240 GB, SATA-III)  Disk Drive                                        KINGSTON SHSS37A480G  (480 GB, SATA-III)  Disk Drive                                        NVMe Samsung SSD 960  (465 GB)  SMART Hard Disks Status                           FAILPartitions:  C: (NTFS)                                         110.4 GB (53.8 GB free)  D: (NTFS)                                         223.6 GB (146.1 GB free)  E: (NTFS)                                         465.6 GB (225.0 GB free)  F: (NTFS)                                         447.1 GB (90.5 GB free)  Total Size                                        1246.7 GB (515.4 GB free)Input:  Keyboard                                          HID Keyboard Device  Keyboard                                          HID Keyboard Device  Keyboard                                          HID Keyboard Device  Mouse                                             HID-compliant mouseNetwork:  Primary IP Address                                192.168.1.95  Primary MAC Address                               10-7B-44-A6-6F-26  Network Adapter                                   Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)  Network Adapter                                   Intel® Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V  (192.168.1.95)Peripherals:  Printer                                           Fax  Printer                                           HP4919DE (HP Photosmart 5520 series)  Printer                                           Microsoft Print to PDF  Printer                                           Microsoft XPS Document Writer  USB1 Controller                                   ASMedia ASM2142 USB 3.1 xHCI Controller  USB1 Controller                                   ASMedia ASM2142 USB 3.1 xHCI Controller  USB1 Controller                                   Intel Union Point PCH - USB 3.1 xHCI Host Controller  USB Device                                        ASUS USB-BT400  USB Device                                        Generic USB Hub  USB Device                                        USB Composite Device  USB Device                                        USB Composite Device  USB Device                                        USB Input Device  USB Device                                        USB Input Device  USB Device                                        USB Input Device  USB Device                                        USB Input Device  USB Device                                        USB Input DeviceDMI:  DMI BIOS Vendor                                   American Megatrends Inc.  DMI BIOS Version                                  1009  DMI System Manufacturer                           System manufacturer  DMI System Product                                System Product Name  DMI System Version                                System Version  DMI System Serial Number                          System Serial Number  DMI System UUID                                   80410E4E-DAD7DD11-96E0107B-44A66F26  DMI Motherboard Manufacturer                      ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.  DMI Motherboard Product                           MAXIMUS IX HERO  DMI Motherboard Version                           Rev 1.xx  DMI Motherboard Serial Number                     170706254301071  DMI Chassis Manufacturer                          Default string  DMI Chassis Version                               Default string  DMI Chassis Serial Number                         Default string  DMI Chassis Asset Tag                             Default string  DMI Chassis Type                                  Desktop Case

@banshee.9328 said:

@Filfluppo.9671 said:ok, can someone reply to me on this question

It might be effect of SSD problems. Microsoft did something really bad to those disks stability about a year ago. Check your Administrative Tools->Event Viewer if there is some information about this. Don't worry this is most likely not your hardware failure.

thanks man! I was going nuts about this. Runned game from external hard and 0 freezes. But does that mean now my ssd is somehow crippled or damaged or will I be ever able to play from ssd since i bought it to load game faster?

Well the problem is that moving GW2 to other disk may not help if your system is also using SSD. Truly I have no idea how to get rid of the problem. Some ppl say it's enough to do some changes to power management with disks since they tend to turn off/on (reset) even if shouldn't but this doesn't work for me.

Of course there is a chance your disk is damaged but unlikely i think. If you've checked Event Viewer and it states that your SSD got reset at the moment you got that 10 sec. freeze it seems that Anniversary Update syndrome is responsible (which was introduced over a year ago). You can google it. Some say problem got solved by minor later fixes, some say not. Srsly I don't know how to get rid of it too.

Not feeling hopeful on this since no-one from ANET has actually responded to this but here goes nothing.

Upgraded to the latest version of Windows 10 a week ago after a system rebuild and like everyone else i'm getting the 10 minutes of gametime until a hard lock freeze. Tried that "work around" someone earlier suggested by disabling the quick bootup and sleep settings in the power options but to no avail. I had one option of sending a problem to ANET but ever since then nothing else has been prompted.

Really hoping someone from ANET does respond soon...would rather not miss out on Wintersday because of this :(

Based on task manager this looks like a memory leak, I don't think this is an SSD issue since have had some guildies without SSD run into the same thing. Seems to have started at the Oct patch. One guildy using a third party app to flush memory has had some luck into unfreezing without having to hardboot.

@Chindira.8659 said:I have the same issue too. Computer is fine and game works fine, but freezes. I searched the reason with my friend who plays with me and finally we got it. The reason is new mount skins! Whenever he mounts the new jackal, my game freezes. With old mount skins there is no problem. Halloween skins are fine, and winter skins too. But those u can get from black lion trading company with Mount Adoption Lisence are freezing. Arenanet should do something and fast. This is really pissing me off... And btw, I don't have any of those new skins... Other players are freezing my game... :angry:

Did you send in a ticket regarding this? And do you know which one (the name of it) of the Jackal skins is causing it? I'd love to meet up in-game to try it out on me too if that's possible - feel free to whisper me/message me if you'd like to try.

The problem is that there are at least two different types of "major" crashes here. Now I'm not talking the typical application "CTD" (Crash to desktop) with the pretty little crash reporting screen.

• System crash: Symptoms typically are looped sound, blank screen, requires a hard reboot, mouse and keyboard stop responding. Sometimes the computer will reboot itself or just spontaneously shut off. It's most common that the problem exists ONLY in GW2 and ALL other games, stress test tools and benchmark apps work flawlessly.
  • Game crash: This is a crash where the screen freezes and the game just stops moving, like looking at a picture. It doesn't generate any errors and doesn't give you the opportunity to submit a crash report. You cannot get out to the desktop using the windows button or alt-tab and the game cannot be shut down using alt-f4, but the system can be recovered gracefully by using ctrl-alt-del, then logging out and back in. These seem to be a relatively new type of crash for GW2 and I only started seeing people talk about them in the last few months. I first started seeing these after Halloween ended and I believe I've only gotten them in PoF maps, but that's not surprising given that's where I've been playing mostly since Halloween ended. Before Halloween, my focus was primarily on Season 3 and HoT content.

In my opinion, BOTH crashes are bugs in GW2 given that it ONLY ever seems to affect GW2. I've experienced both crashing types on two different systems, with system crashes on one and game crashes on another. For system crashes, downclocking my video card fixed it, but it does not fix it for everyone (ANet has openly stated GW2 does not like over-clocking). For me, the game crashes are not as common as the system crashes were on the old system. I seem to get a game crash every couple days and while I have not figured out a "solution" for it, it seems selecting an antialiasing mode that is less intensive improves the situation.

I first experienced crashing issues (System crashes) with GW2 in December of 2012 and first reported them in January of 2013. After years of following these crashing issues, I've come to the conclusion that GW2 is just plain flaky.

@darksome.1697 said:

@Chindira.8659 said:I have the same issue too. Computer is fine and game works fine, but freezes. I searched the reason with my friend who plays with me and finally we got it. The reason is new mount skins! Whenever he mounts the new jackal, my game freezes. With old mount skins there is no problem. Halloween skins are fine, and winter skins too. But those u can get from black lion trading company with Mount Adoption Lisence are freezing. Arenanet should do something and fast. This is really pissing me off... And btw, I don't have any of those new skins... Other players are freezing my game... :angry:

Did you send in a ticket regarding this? And do you know which one (the name of it) of the Jackal skins is causing it? I'd love to meet up in-game to try it out on me too if that's possible - feel free to whisper me/message me if you'd like to try.

Not yet. But I will. It's Stardust skin on jackal. My brother's game freezed too when someone mount on stardust jackal. My brother has that skin, so I asked him to whisper you so you can try it with him. I don't have that skin.

I'm trying to solve same problem with freezes. I'm sure my hardware is perfectly fine. It's fresh new PC, clean and all test are done like PCmark10, memtest86, samsung magician, checking for malware etc. All newest drivers and system updates.Win 10Radeon Rx 580 8 GB32 GB Ram 2400Ryzen 7 3,2Ghz2x ssd samsung evo 256Cooler nzxt kraken

Game freezes like 4 times per hour, sometimes crashes. I have to alt +ctrl + del and sign out coz I can't close the game.I am sure its Gw2 problem not hardware or software Im using. I am so pissed off right now coz it all started when I installed PoF 2 weeks ago.It started crashing like 2 times per 5h and now its 4 times per hour. If you won't fiz it ArenaNet I want my money back.Every other software/games works perfectly fine for hours on ultra settings. The only problem is Gw2.

Edited by Sensero.7284

Same issues, apparently random freezes that also affect the mouse cursor so the game can't be closed or restarted normally.

Rather than sign out or force a system shutdown, I usually CTRL-ALT-DEL from GW2, select Task Manager, ALT-TAB to focus it, TAB and arrow keys to highlight the GW2 task and ALT-E to end it, after which the game can be restarted as usual.

ASUS G74SX gaming notebook (NVidia GTX 560m), so gfx settings are fairly low.

now that i have buy windows 10 64 bit i freez sometimes even if i watch twitch :(
and other games to with windows 7 i had np with that

i think the problem is with windows 10 but i dunno what

my specAMD FX 8350 4.0 GHZsapphire r9 380x nitro dual-x oc 4gb gddr58 gig ramMSI 970 GAMING motherboard 970 Socket AM3 DDR3 32G STAT3 USB3.0 ATXwindows 10 64 bitOCZ Technology (OCZ700MXSP) ModXStream Pro 700-Watt ATX PC Gaming power supply

Same issue since Halloween and I'm not even using Win 10. All these things had no effect: bought all new RAM as part of an upgrade, updated my nVidia driver, turned off all hard disk power management settings, ran DXDiag (no problems detected), ran all Windows updates. Used to happen once a week, now it is happening ONCE PER HOUR! I had planned to buy gems for Wintersday sales, but for an unplayable game, I'm witholding all my cash until they address this. If they continue to ignore it, I guess I have no choice but to quit the game which I really don't want to do.

Description of problem: the mouse and screen freeze and never release ( I even let it try to play out for several hours once). All other computer functions carry on normally. Only way to get it off the screen is to CTRL+ALT+DEL and shut down GW2 in Task Manager. Makes no difference how many other programs are running, it happens from none to over a dozen programs running using no RAM up to using 14 GB of RAM. Once I shut down GW2, I can use all other applications without any issues. Nothing else crashes or freezes.

My system is: Win 7 Pro 64 bit (using 64bit GW2 client), 16 GB RAM, nVidia gtx 660ti, Samsung 500GB SSD.