Game alt-tabbing or flashing desktop [merged]

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

My computer decided to install the Win 10 April update and since then when on a loading screen the game flicks to desktop for 10 seconds or so then back to game.

Anyone know how to get rid of this?

Edit: I work with computers for a living before people suggest the basic stuff, ive tried all that. Trying to find someone that had the same problems and fixed it..

@Heather.4823 said:My computer decided to install the Win 10 April update [...]

Computers don't make decisions like that. ;) You decided to leave automatic updates activated instead of updating at your own convenience.

As for your issue, sorry, I don't use Windows 10. Maybe you can share what processes are running in the background? Have you added the GW2 game folder to your antivirus' behavior shield's list of exceptions?

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Heather.4823 said:My computer decided to install the Win 10 April update [...]

Computers don't make decisions like that. ;)
You
decided to leave automatic updates activated instead of updating at your own convenience.

As for your issue, sorry, I don't use Windows 10. Maybe you can share what processes are running in the background? Have you added the GW2 game folder to your antivirus' behavior shield's list of exceptions?

Its windows 10 so you dont update at convience really, it’s update now or disable in services. Plus that doesn’t help my problem....

Ive checked and even disabled some processes, disabled antivius and firewall and it doesnt help. Reinstalled graphics driver etc.

I work in IT for a living so ive tried all the basic stuff.

Just wondered if anyone had similar and actually fixed it

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Heather.4823 said:[...]Just wondered if anyone had similar and actually fixed it

I'm sorry, I thought your OS updated from whatever you used before to Windows 10. A misunderstanding.

Since you work in IT, I don't dare ask further questions. ;) Hope someone can help you. Good luck.

Nah it updated just to the latest win 10 is all :)

Yeah seen old posts with similar problem but couldn’t find anyone that fixed it lol

Thanks for replying though :)

Oops, you were faster than my editing of my post. ;)

It's a shame how many people are suffering sudden weird bugs with each Win 10 update. One can only wonder if Microsoft's developers will ever get their heads straight (or the CEO who made the decision to change Windows' business model -- computers are still different from smartphones in variety of usage).

Run in windowed or fake fullscreen mode. Fullscreen mode is crappy ever since. I had flickering issues on Windows 10 since RTM.You can also try the compatibility flag to use or not use the optimized backbuffer formats, it was added with Fall Creators Update, but it's not really helpful for everyone, like me. Right-click shortcut > Compatibility > Disable fullscreen optimizations

"I'd disable the automatic update in services..."

This no longer works in newer versions of Windows 10. If you disable the service, Windows will turn it back on the next time it checks for updates. You MUST disable updates in the registry (or Group services).

Heather.4823 -

The desktop flashing issue has been happening for me for a long time. I don't worry about it because the game seems to work properly.

@abomally.2694 said:

The desktop flashing issue has been happening for me for a long time. I don't worry about it because the game seems to work properly.

Yeah the 3 second flickering only when I click play has happened for like a year but that's no issue to me which I why I didn't mention it as it's not the same issue I am talking about here. That issue is just the screen flickering for about 3 seconds on load of the game only. Nothing to do with this.

The issue I am talking about here is since the April update that I see the desktop on all loading screens..

@Ray Koopa.2354 said:Run in windowed or fake fullscreen mode. Fullscreen mode is crappy ever since. I had flickering issues on Windows 10 since RTM.You can also try the compatibility flag to use or not use the optimized backbuffer formats, it was added with Fall Creators Update, but it's not really helpful for everyone, like me. Right-click shortcut > Compatibility > Disable fullscreen optimizations

@Heather.4823 said:Windowed fullscreen I get a lot less FPS though

Compatiblity mode didn’t work unfortunately. I’ll try disabling full screen optimisations in the morning and update back :)

Tried disabling the full screen optimisations didn't fix it unfortunately.

Having the same problem. What GPU brand are you using? Nvidia or ATI?

ATI here. I wonder if Nvidia users experience the problem as well? I had the problem with one of the other windows 10 seasonal updates but after awhile it was fixed. No idea what fixed it though.

@Aza.2105 said:Having the same problem. What GPU brand are you using? Nvidia or ATI?

ATI here. I wonder if Nvidia users experience the problem as well? I had the problem with one of the other windows 10 seasonal updates but after awhile it was fixed. No idea what fixed it though.

Nvidia here

@Heather.4823 said:

@Aza.2105 said:Having the same problem. What GPU brand are you using? Nvidia or ATI?

Nvidia here

So this means its a problem with gw2 itself.

@Heather.4823 said:My computer decided to install the Win 10 April update and since then when on a loading screen the game flicks to desktop for 10 seconds or so then back to game.

Anyone know how to get rid of this?

Edit: I work with computers for a living before people suggest the basic stuff, ive tried all that. Trying to find someone that had the same problems and fixed it..

Having the same problem just after April update aswell, so you are not alone^^

im on nvidia

Guess im gonna keep an eye on this post.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Aza.2105 said:So this means its a problem with gw2 itself.

...if it hasn't been properly optimized to work flawlessly on Windows 10 as well, yes. It still runs perfectly fine on previous Windows versions (not taking the general lack of optimization into account ;) ).

Worked flawless with my windows before this.