Which class would you recommend to someone just starting off and would like to focus mostly on PvE?

Takzuke.5023

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:On the other hand it might be better to start with learning good habits rather than having to learn bad ones later.

Ah, finally a solid piece of advice. Trying to make the Warrior a tank when leveling is actually very bad because end-game PvE is all about Berserker or Viper gear and - as I've been saying over and over by now - killing things before they kill you. Same thing goes with the role of Warriors in raids and fractals.

Learning to play in squishy damage gear from the very get-go will serve and new player well in the long run. This is not really exclusive to Warriors either since all classes do have the potential to rune all-out offensive setups as well and outside of raids, there is no content in the game that requires a tank either (people who tank in raids usually have a whole seperate set of gear they only use when tanking, the rest of the time they play with damage gear on anyway).

@"Fluffball.8307" said:Warrior is a good intro to PvE because it's far more durable

Necromancer is far more durable than Warrior since it not only has a second lifebar in Deathshroud AND life-stealing. AND pets. Heavy armour? Hah, armour is exclusively for fashion wars in this game. Heavy armour barely makes a difference in the long run.

Guardian is even more durable still. Sure they have lower healthpool than Warriors and Necromancer, but their ability to spam boons such as Protection and Regeneration makes their effective health a lot higher than Warriors. As I was saying, the high health pool of Warriors is deceptive.

Also, we both know this isn't about "intro PvE" anymore. It is about you guys claiming that Warrior is a tank when it is not.

I just completely disagree with you, but it doesn't matter. OP got a bunch of suggestions for warrior and then he got... your posts. Can make up their own mind. :)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I would also vote ranger. Why? It's so easy to level. With a tank pet you are unkillable to anything but champions. And then when you reach 80 you can get Druid, which is a superb healer, giving you another aspect to use, and then Soulbeast, which is a great elite spec. Ranger, Druid and Soulbeast -- it's about the best group in the game. Each one is viable and allows you to do different things.

Open World PvE Builds - December 2017

From the introduction by Lady Elyssa:

With the new year upon us I thought now would be a good time to update my original post on open world pve builds with some additional improvements and to provide at least a basic description for each of the builds that I hope to further expand upon to help people learn more about the builds.

As before, I will be covering all of the professions from the Core Game, HoT and PoF focusing on both Power and Condition builds (where possible) with stat choices for gear presuming that you have access to all previous content.

I was going to say, "It depends on your playstyle," but I must admit those videos are crazy impressive. Personally, I also went ranger because I'd rather have the mobs beat on my pet than me. The pet also makes mistakes more forgiving as far as escaping death. But then again . . . those videos make me want to try a warrior too! :)

Edit: All said, some mobs in the videos above I've also soloed as ranger. Not as fast, I will admit, but a lot safer in some cases. So, yes, like the others, I'll also say ranger for the pet alone. Being a druid later will make your life even easier if you spec right. But, for beginning PvE? Yes, ranger . . . if you'd rather your pet get punched in the face instead. ;)

I also suggest ranger, not only because I'm biased as a ranger main ?, but because the learning curve for ranger (in ALL aspects, not just combat) is relatively easy. You can learn at your own pace and not get frustrated with its mechanics. Well, not get TOO frustrated. And, if I do say so myself, most rangers are pretty helpful in game. I know most people choose ranger for the tankiness of the pet, but you can learn later on to utilize your pet without it taking all the damage for you. Rangers are versatile; regardless of whether you use a condi, power, hybrid, or theorycrafted build of your own, it is very easy to learn and pick up. And, goshdarnit, ranger is so fun! Finding pets, naming them, crafting your build, creaming bosses (sometimes on your own), and really just ranging the land is so much fun! Great for solo and group content, too. ? If you do end up choosing ranger, I wouldn't mind helping you out and showing the ropes. Good luck on your selection and welcome to Tyria!

@Khisanth.2948 said:On the other hand the game really doesn't need more LB4 rangers -_-

Well, that's why they need to be mentored and shown that there are more options than just LB/GS. There are a lot of rangers who are running around Tyria, not knowing that there are builds other than LB/GS, that get blasted for using a skill that they have no idea affects others. ?

In core Tyria every class is easy. When you start Living World it becomes interesting. The difficulty of the game increases a lot at this point.

Reaper is probably the best class for open world pve content as it has tons of hard hitting AOE (which saves huge amounts of time!) and is incredible durable. But since raids are also a part of pve it should be mentioned that Reaper is the most unwanted class in raids at the moment because it does less damage than the other classes and lacks raid relevant support.

@Seteruss.4058 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:On the other hand the game really doesn't need more LB4 rangers -_-

depnds on the lb4 usage. If you have it in your rotation as an attack yes is awful. If you have it as a utility is great.....especially as an anti glider utility in wvw xD

That is exactly the problem in PvE. Frequent LB4 BS but then on things with a breakbar that needs to be broken it barely moves.

Warrior and ranger are pretty easy professions to start off with. My first character was a warrior. The combat is pretty straightforward and you can heal passively and get away with using signets to start while leveling up until you get the hang of it, which just boost your stats so you don't have to worry about remembering what more skills do than just your weapon skills. Rangers also have signets and their pets to back them up.

Once you get the hang of one profession then you can move on to the next and catch on pretty quickly until you find the one that you like best. :)

I'm a little biased, but I say for a really good PvE experience, go with a Necro Minion Master build. The minions will steal health from the mobs they battle and send it to you. And if you use an Axe, it is used as ranged weapon, but is not treated as such. So you can stand out of harms way, use the 2nd skill which siphons health, and not worry about any reflects since the axe is technically a melee weapon, but is in actuality a mid-range weapon. And in addition to the minions giving you a constant stream of health, they work great as your own personal bodyguards. They will take the aggro, leaving you free to move around and select your targets. And with the right traits, each minion you have summoned will increase your stacks of toughness.

If you want to actually go into melee range, a good dagger/dagger combo can really take down many mobs quickly.

I went with the Elite spec of Reaper, but I kept the minion master build. I may not have all the nifty new toys the elite spec offers, but I find that I can solo many of the maps without much worry.

And with shroud, you basically have a built-in extra health bar for those tough situations when you need just a little extra oomph.

@smsarasin.3468 said:I'm a little biased, but I say for a really good PvE experience, go with a Necro Minion Master build. The minions will steal health from the mobs they battle and send it to you. And if you use an Axe, it is used as ranged weapon, but is not treated as such. So you can stand out of harms way, use the 2nd skill which siphons health, and not worry about any reflects since the axe is technically a melee weapon, but is in actuality a mid-range weapon. And in addition to the minions giving you a constant stream of health, they work great as your own personal bodyguards. They will take the aggro, leaving you free to move around and select your targets. And with the right traits, each minion you have summoned will increase your stacks of toughness.

If you want to actually go into melee range, a good dagger/dagger combo can really take down many mobs quickly.

I went with the Elite spec of Reaper, but I kept the minion master build. I may not have all the nifty new toys the elite spec offers, but I find that I can solo many of the maps without much worry.

And with shroud, you basically have a built-in extra health bar for those tough situations when you need just a little extra oomph.

Necro axe #2 is not a siphon. That is dagger.

I like daredevil thief for open world, though it may have some difficulty with raid bosses. If you get good at thief, it transfers to wvw (small parties and roaming). Warrior is a happy middle, good starter class. It can carve up about anything pve and takes a real beating, spellbreaker for raids. Guardian is a wvw, pvp favorite. If you learn it in open world then guardian would be a great competition class later on, especially after the deficiencies get buffed. Mesmer is over powered in wvw at the moment, so if it gets a nerf it may not be the raider it is now. Any class will be great, I think soulbeast has a lot to offer now, it is the pewpew version of a starter class. Soulbeast is as forgiving as warrior, and a staple in wvw and pvp.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@smsarasin.3468 said:I'm a little biased, but I say for a really good PvE experience, go with a Necro Minion Master build. The minions will steal health from the mobs they battle and send it to you. And if you use an Axe, it is used as ranged weapon, but is not treated as such. So you can stand out of harms way, use the 2nd skill which siphons health, and not worry about any reflects since the axe is
technically
a melee weapon, but is in actuality a mid-range weapon. And in addition to the minions giving you a constant stream of health, they work great as your own personal bodyguards. They will take the aggro, leaving you free to move around and select your targets. And with the right traits, each minion you have summoned will increase your stacks of toughness.

True, I meant that it siphons life from the target, not the actual skill name. Sorry for that. Ghastly Claws is the actual name, but it steals life from the target with each strike.

@smsarasin.3468 said:

@smsarasin.3468 said:I'm a little biased, but I say for a really good PvE experience, go with a Necro Minion Master build. The minions will steal health from the mobs they battle and send it to you. And if you use an Axe, it is used as ranged weapon, but is not treated as such. So you can stand out of harms way, use the 2nd skill which siphons health, and not worry about any reflects since the axe is
technically
a melee weapon, but is in actuality a mid-range weapon. And in addition to the minions giving you a constant stream of health, they work great as your own personal bodyguards. They will take the aggro, leaving you free to move around and select your targets. And with the right traits, each minion you have summoned will increase your stacks of toughness.

True, I meant that it siphons life from the target, not the actual skill name. Sorry for that. Ghastly Claws is the actual name, but it steals life from the target with each strike.

Ghastly Claws does not have any sort of life steal unless you are using the traits, consumables or upgrades but in that case all of your skills have life steal. It does generate life force but that is not the same as life steal.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

technically

Ghastly Claws does not have any sort of life steal unless you are using the traits, consumables or upgrades but in that case all of your skills have life steal. It does generate life force but that is not the same as life steal.

Ah, my mistake then. It must be due to me using the Blood Magic trait line. But I was certain that the description for Ghastly Claws explicitly stated that it gave life force per strike. I was going by This. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ghastly_Claws So maybe I was just confused in how it worked.

@smsarasin.3468 said:

technically

Ah, my mistake then. It must be due to me using the Blood Magic trait line. But I was certain that the description for Ghastly Claws explicitly stated that it gave life force per strike. I was going by This.
So maybe I was just confused in how it worked.

It does give life force and it works great for generating life force but that is not life steal.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Fluffball.8307 said:Warriors are extremely durable. Just having heal sig running will make you nearly unkillable in core Tyria.

One of my first memories of GW2 is a warrior holding up an event because he went AFK with heal sig running in a path of enemies. They were all just standing there whacking away at him while he made a sandwhich. =)

Source: Am champion legionnaire.

Again, Warriors are not durable. Our high healthpool is deceptive in that regard, as is the heavy armour.

20K health is a lot less than what you'd expect.

The way you survive most encounters as a Warrior is like that of a Thief: kill things before they kill you. Try going against something other than trash mobs. Try soloing a Champion or two. Your healthpool vanishes quickly without any real sustain and Warriors little healing signet crumbles quickly under sustained fire.

Meanwhile Necromancers can be built like actual tanks thanks to self-healing and the second healthbar in Deathshroud. Really, I'd highly recommend Necromancer if you want a beefy character. Or Ranger. Between pets tanking for you and the sustain from Druid, they can also be built fairly unkillable and capable of soloing Champions and such shenanigans.

But we're talking about someone who asked about an build for low level PvE. You're out of your gourd if you think a warrior isn't one of the most survivable classes at low skill levels in low level PvE. Heal sig, high health, and heavy armor will
easily
dominate Kessex Hills. :)

As will any other class. All classes are prefectly capable of doing the majority of open world PvE. This doesn't in any shape or form make Warrior a durable tank character. Healing Signet is decent, but it can easily be overwhelmed if you bite off more than you can chew and then you will go down as a Warrior. As I said, the best way to play Warrior in open world PvE is to kill things before they kill you.

Stop trying to sell him a false idea of what the Warrior is. It is NOT a tank, not by a long stretch.

As I said, try doing the things the actual tank classes are capable of (such as solo Champions and the like) and the Warrior falls flat on his butt.

Now, Warrior has been my main since launch. I love the class. Which is why I hate seeing you guys giving this new guy false info like this. I would whole-heartedly recommend the class in general, but not as a "durable tank".

See this (fractal 100 nightmare warrior (ensolyss) (27apr 2017) -

@Robban.1256 said:

@Fluffball.8307 said:Warriors are extremely durable. Just having heal sig running will make you nearly unkillable in core Tyria.

One of my first memories of GW2 is a warrior holding up an event because he went AFK with heal sig running in a path of enemies. They were all just standing there whacking away at him while he made a sandwhich. =)

Source: Am champion legionnaire.

Again, Warriors are not durable. Our high healthpool is deceptive in that regard, as is the heavy armour.

20K health is a lot less than what you'd expect.

The way you survive most encounters as a Warrior is like that of a Thief: kill things before they kill you. Try going against something other than trash mobs. Try soloing a Champion or two. Your healthpool vanishes quickly without any real sustain and Warriors little healing signet crumbles quickly under sustained fire.

Meanwhile Necromancers can be built like actual tanks thanks to self-healing and the second healthbar in Deathshroud. Really, I'd highly recommend Necromancer if you want a beefy character. Or Ranger. Between pets tanking for you and the sustain from Druid, they can also be built fairly unkillable and capable of soloing Champions and such shenanigans.

But we're talking about someone who asked about an build for low level PvE. You're out of your gourd if you think a warrior isn't one of the most survivable classes at low skill levels in low level PvE. Heal sig, high health, and heavy armor will
easily
dominate Kessex Hills. :)

As will any other class. All classes are prefectly capable of doing the majority of open world PvE. This doesn't in any shape or form make Warrior a durable tank character. Healing Signet is decent, but it can easily be overwhelmed if you bite off more than you can chew and then you will go down as a Warrior. As I said, the best way to play Warrior in open world PvE is to kill things before they kill you.

Stop trying to sell him a false idea of what the Warrior is. It is NOT a tank, not by a long stretch.

As I said, try doing the things the actual tank classes are capable of (such as solo Champions and the like) and the Warrior falls flat on his butt.

Now, Warrior has been my main since launch. I love the class. Which is why I hate seeing you guys giving this new guy false info like this. I would whole-heartedly recommend the class in general, but not as a "durable tank".

See this (fractal 100 nightmare warrior (ensolyss) (27apr 2017) -

Or this (spellbreaker solo forged army event (one man army)

@Takzuke.5023 said:Hello guys

So I have just purchased both the DLC for the game and started downloading, I have seen the classes on the wikipedia page but it looks so complex with each class having a dozen of weapons and there is also something at level 80 that changes your class so here I am asking for some advise since I didn't fully understand it.

Which class would you recommend me to start as mostly for PvE content? if that would help to tell a little about my preferred play style I do enjoy playing tanks/healers in overwatch and play control decks in hearthstone.

I recommend warrior, ranger, guardian. PS there's no holy trinity in gw2

Try them all up to level 10 or 20, you'll be able to choose for yourself what suits you. But, most likely the easiest are:

Warrior: easy to learn, powerful passive signets, simple weapons.Ranger: pet tanks for youNecro: conditions to keep mobs away, minions can tank and sustain you, class mechanic is a 2nd hp bar.