@Hawken.7932 said:

@Kivexor.8596 said:^ echo this experience, since the latest update my performance has dropped from 50+ fps to ~15.

Have you tried resetting the PRAM and SMC? There's a looooong standing problem with Macs where performance can be slow after sleep, which sometimes can be resolved by doing this. Both my retina Macbook pro and iMac used to suffer from this.

You're a life saver, it worked like a charm! Thanks so much :smiley:

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old bug (from start of 64 beta) that keeps reoccurring and I keep sending in "reports to Anet" .. Bug is the crash on hitting start. Only work around is minimizing client then restoring it before hitting start and it then works. But if I don't do work around it crashes 100% of the time. Just wondering when this will eventually get fixed?

Looking at the processes running from the cmd line my guess is it's the Coherent UI causing the slow down in performance. I can see the Coherent UI runs as a separate process from the game, if its a transparent window composited on top of a OpenGL context you will be hitting the window server compositing path on every frame. This is the same problem WOW has on the Mac, the ad-ware for Blizzard runs on a separate window under the fullscreen display. Everytime the ad-ware gets updated it hits the compositor path which is a huge slow down... it's about every 5-7 frame for WOW. The performance hit is enormous.

Every time I try to log in on the 64-bit client, I get the following:The game client was unable to connect to the log-in server. Please restart your client and try again. If the problem persists, contact Customer Support for assistance at http://support.guildwars2.com.Build: 85056Error Code: 58:11:5:535Yet whenever I use the 32-bit client I can log in fine. I've tried updating my system software, restarting my Mac, re-downloading the client, and yet nothing seems to work. I also deleted the com.transgaming.guildwars2 folder as I saw that recommended somewhere, but that had no effect. Does anybody have any possible solutions?

So I decided to try out the macOS client against a hackintosh build.

i7-8700k2x 1080s (yes, I know sli doesn't work on mac)32gb DDR4

I found that much of the time my primary gpu that the game is running on is sitting around 50-60% usage. I'm looking at timings and I don't see the cpu waiting for the gpu often so I'm not entirely sure where the slow down is coming from. Cpu usage is pretty much the same as the gpu, sitting around 50% across the 6 non-hyper threaded cores. It seems that there is a bottleneck somewhere, I'll turn on my instrumentation to try and track down where if I can without a profiler / renderdoc.

@Sammiches.8127 said:So I decided to try out the macOS client against a hackintosh build.

i7-8700k2x 1080s (yes, I know sli doesn't work on mac)32gb DDR4

I found that much of the time my primary gpu that the game is running on is sitting around 50-60% usage. I'm looking at timings and I don't see the cpu waiting for the gpu often so I'm not entirely sure where the slow down is coming from. Cpu usage is pretty much the same as the gpu, sitting around 50% across the 6 non-hyper threaded cores. It seems that there is a bottleneck somewhere, I'll turn on my instrumentation to try and track down where if I can without a profiler / renderdoc.

An idea is to definitely check the hard drive I/O and see how much that is slowing down the game.

I upgraded my mid 2015 MacBook Pro (with discrete GPU) to High Sierra yesterday, and my framerate in Guild Wars 2 dropped from around 30fps to 5fps, even when I turn things down. I think GW2 is using the non-discrete card, but I can't figure out a way to force it to change (I did turn off the automatic switching option in MacOS, which should have forced everything to the high end GPU, but that isn't working).

I've been looking, but I can't:a.) figure out a way to make sure GW2 is running off of the discrete card andb.) if anyone else is having this issue or not.

Any ideas? Thanks!

[update: After switching the "automatic switching" option off AND rebooting my Mac, the game started working correctly. I hope this helps someone in the future.]

@Grande.1803 said:Hi there! Please help me. How can I change the install location on Macbook? I want install the game on my external HDD.

Just copy the app to another drive. Macs do not care if it is in /applications or not.

I am running the 64 bit on my SSD because I had plenty of room and am enjoying the speed boost. Back in the 32 bit days I just had it on one of my non-boot HDDs in a non-standard folder. Amusingly, when people were migrating to the 64 bit version (which used the old dat) I had to re-download the dat because the 64 bit version did not see it in the default location.