Official Mount Adoption Feedback Thread [merged]

@DarcShriek.5829 said:

@"rcs.4120" said:In case the devs/decision makers (not necessarily the same people) are curious. Yes, 1600 gems is still to expensive for a single mount skin.

And yes, as a result of the overpricing on gems and pretty much blatant telling of the community to go screw yourselves with regards to their feedback, none of the four accounts in our household purchased or received gemcards this holiday season as a result.

What do I think is fair and consistent?

The 1600 gems for the set of 5 as in the holiday packs.200 for random chance,300 for random chance of a given type.400 for specific skin of a given type.600-800 if its really really fancy.

Translation - devs and artists have no right to a decent living. They are only allowed to work for a pittance.

Not sure how to do quotes and I am tired. I was going to stamp down my thrifty Scottish blood, and buy mount skins until I got a Springer one, but reading all the posts in this thread made me too ashamed to try. They are expensive, and I do not have a Griffon...therefore, my buying chances for a Springer is...a very wrong thing to do.

But, if they were price pointed as per the post of rcs, which is quoted above, I would try with no hesitation. Wish I could give him a million thumbs up.

Hmm...DarcShriek, Have you ever heard of Walmart. They sell most things cheaper than other stores, and guess what, people flock to that place.

Mounts being something everyone wants, the Devs, might in fact, make a killing if they lowered the prices.

The "Special Snowflakes" in this game though will not like this idea as they will no longer be a "Special Snowflake" if everyone has the shiny...expect them to howl.

Lisa- Wants to go after the "Special Snowflakes" in game with a Flame Thrower...Engineer Style :)

@mercury ranique.2170 said:

1. Make mount skins sellable on the TP.

This would devaluate my purchase, both in uniqueness and value.

1. Add mount skins to the Black Lion Chests as Super Rare or Rare.

1. Keep the RNG Adoption tickets but lower the price.

1. Add direct sales of the mount skins but at a higher price than the RNG.

Example: Direct sale of a skin = 700 gems, RNG = 200 gems. If you want to gamble on the skin you get, it will not cost as much as getting the one you really want. To me, this would add to the economy and give players more options to obtain the skins they want. Just a suggestion.

My point here is that nothing can be done to the current mounts added to the game without infureating the customers who bought the mounts. And lets face it, those are the customers Arenanet should value over those who find mountskins too expensive. So the only suggestion that can be made is that they should change the system for future mounts. Mo's post allready stated they will. Not the price, but by keeping the current RNG mounts exclusive to the RNG set, but not extend there and add only direct buy skins to the store.

Mercury Ranique I would call you a "Special Snowflake" but, I see, and I agree, with your points. People spent a kitten lot of money for these existing skins, and so the celebrity of those skins should be preserved.

Lisa-Whose flame-throwing engineer will not be hunting you down in game :)

@ananda.5946 said:

@Julischka Bean.7491 said:Hello Ananda.

If the Griffin skin was not included, which I do not have, I, personally, would be on board totally with what you are saying. But because I do not have the Griffin, there is a very real chance that I will get a Griffin skin....my fault of course, but I wonder how many others of the player base, like me, do not have this Griffin and thus are not buying the RNG mount skins solely because of this.

On the last day of my Physical Therapy, to celebrate, I took a chance on a skin..I really, really, really wanted a new Springer skin, and gambling was the only way to get one. I ended up with a nice Jackal skin..the Crowned Ancient.

I might try again , but right now I am happy with the colors I used on the Springer skin I received in the Christmas Edition Pack.

Big wide grin--- Springers came from the Crystal Desert.

Core Vanilla game is probably too cold for them..

They need a sweater set to keep warm...

That is my excuse for playing a Christmas Springer after Christmas and I am sticking to it :)

Oh, I didn’t think about the griffin skins and that some people won’t have that mount. If you never plan to get it, that makes the adoption thingie less fun for sure. On the other hand, if you plan to get it eventually, there are a couple of cute ones. And, I agree those winter mount skins are adorable.

Hello ananda. Nope. I am totally lousy in team situations where I am expected to carry my weight...so I solo...and I have had great difficulty with the story, so I do not see a Griffin in my future. Wistful sigh...wish I could pay someone to help me get it, for a Griffon I would happily pay a goodly quantity of gold...oh well, If wishes were fishes...

Lisa-Thankfully, still loves gliding.

I bought a Umbral Demon skin,after a few seconds I felt regret.Because that suck than 400Gem skins.Suck effect and sound,even Dajkah lantern skin better than it.1600/2000 skins all effect is suck , Can Anet buff them effect?I can say The Umbral demon skin's value should not be more than 10usd/800gemSo i feel bad for my 20usd125845_fb0bd80a2eb03dd85f99b4d01b316eb7.

131520_b5cf5e20eda87a3ff77e4a2d33828947.

@DarcShriek.5829 said:

@"rcs.4120" said:In case the devs/decision makers (not necessarily the same people) are curious. Yes, 1600 gems is still to expensive for a single mount skin.

And yes, as a result of the overpricing on gems and pretty much blatant telling of the community to go screw yourselves with regards to their feedback, none of the four accounts in our household purchased or received gemcards this holiday season as a result.

The 1600 gems for the set of 5 as in the holiday packs.200 for random chance,300 for random chance of a given type.400 for specific skin of a given type.600-800 if its really really fancy.

Translation - devs and artists have no right to a decent living. They are only allowed to work for a pittance.

Translation - Not at all. The devs I'm pretty sure make more than the majority of the population with their years of experience. I suspect the artists likely make as much ormore than other artists with similar talents (they have a job in their field [no offense intended to artists but the phrase "starving artist" comes from somewhere]). Of course only they would know. If they didn't, it is a free country so they could go find another job. Either way, I'm pretty confident non of them work on commission and the prices I listed are consistent with what the company themselves originally valued mount skins at. (1600 gems for a pack of 5. )

Finally, a single skin doesn't take anywhere near 2/3 the effort of an expansion pack. Why should it cost 2/3 as much?

Boardroom reason: 'There is such high demand we can practically charge whatever we want.' That is their right. For their sake, hopefully their estimates properly found the knee in the curve. My guess is it didn't. Again, only they have the information to truly know. Either way, this household isn't supporting it.

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

@rcs.4120 said:In case the devs/decision makers (not necessarily the same people) are curious. Yes, 1600 gems is still to expensive for a single mount skin.

Considering that a glider skin costs 500 (or 700 with back item) and I suspect mount skins probably involve more work to create, since they have to be applied to a much more complicated model, I consider the 400 gems for RNG skins to already be a bargain-basement price. (Which is one of the reasons I don't get upset with the RNG)

Doubling your prices would be more realistic.

The 1600gems and 400gems is what ANET originally established as the value for a skin. Technically a little more. Halloween skins 2k -20% discount is 1600gems. There you know exactly what your getting and that you'll be able to use it. 2000gems/5 =400 gems per mount skin. (This should be less because a discount that is always there really isn't a discount it is marketing.) So my prices are really just ANETs original valuation at a per item level.

I actually had hope with the winters day skins but then I saw the Demon Skimmer Skin.

Oh well, the more time that passes, the less I care and less interested I am in getting a skin since I realize how rarely I even see it anyway.

@"appendy.8043" said:I bought a Umbral Demon skin,after a few seconds I felt regret.Because that suck than 400Gem skins.Suck effect and sound,even Dajkah lantern skin better than it.1600/2000 skins all effect is suck , Can Anet buff them effect?I can say The Umbral demon skin's value should not be more than 10usd/800gemSo i feel bad for my 20usd125845_fb0bd80a2eb03dd85f99b4d01b316eb7.

131520_b5cf5e20eda87a3ff77e4a2d33828947.

And look at its' dps. So low ;)

@Nacre Swindlehurst.1597 said:I have just licensed a new mount, but there does not seem to be any way to use it, since I can't get it into my mounts list (one 1 is unlocked). Is this an error, or am I just missing something obvious?

Is this your first one? It should be mailed to you from the trading post, and when you double-click the license, (if it's an RNG one) you get an animation of an opening gate and the mount you unlocked in it. After that you should be able to go to Hero: Mounts, select the type of mount, and select the newly-unlocked skin.

Hello guys! Look at this super cool skin that i got from mount adoption license. Skin is so cool so i can't even express my feelings! Can you tell which one i got?

! 5kiHITj.jpgThat was sarcasm. This random skin made me sad, because it's so bad. Honestly will you stay with that skin? Ofc not, you'll test your luck again. But i, will not pay one more tax for my bad math. They could at least create collection achievement for skins and add collectible items that comes with skins. Like thisOYEGW2f.jpg

@"Oglaf.1074" said:Gambling is a tax on stupidity or however that saying goes...

Ambrose Bierce wrote:Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.Source:
(
)

One may, of course, rephrase it to suit a different purpose. However, plenty of smart people are bad at math and any of us can be deceived by the glamour of high-value/low-rate rewards to be momentarily bereft of the ability to calculate. Besides which, it's hard to measure "fun".

That's the Bright Ringfin right? Believe it or not that's one of the ones I'd choose if I could. What I'd really like is 1 basic skin with 3-4 dye channels and 1 skin with some kind of effect for each mount. So if I got the Bright Ringfin, or the Oasis Skate or the Spiked Longtail I'd be happy.

The thing that puts me off buying mount adoption licences is I don't want all of them. Only 2 skins per mount, a plain one and a 'fancy' one (maybe 3 skimmers, I like both the Oceanic Ray and the Dajkah Lantern so I'd like both of those plus a plain one). But I don't get to choose, so I might end up with 3 plain ones and no 'fancy' ones or the ones I like less and would struggle to dye well like the Flamelander raptor.

The only way to avoid that is to treat the mounts as a 30-pack and buy all of them, which is very expensive, especially when I don't like them all.

It dyes up much more nicely than that. I've chosen it for several of my alts even though I have the other two basic RNG ones as well (no glowy lights or fog effects showed up in my random skimmers). It becomes quite vivid -- try purples and golds, for instance.

I mean, I understand the disappointment in not getting a "cooler" skin and I'm just as glad they've said they won't do this particular RNG method again, but I think you're showing it up as a lot worse than it is.

@Mea.5491 said:And this is a great example why people should stop buying RNG stuff so eventually that would force game devs to sell items directly in their cash shop. But of course people still buy these lame things because they are... um, that word would get me banned. :)

The word is Bookah.You can't get banned for a word in the game. It's Bookah.

Weirdly, I seemed to get pretty much what I wanted from the RNG, and even when I got things I didn't want, I was (mostly) happy to have them later.

Mainly wanted a Raptor, it was the first one I got.Got two springers, which I was annoyed by at the time, but now I'm starting to outfit some alts, and love the extra option.Got the fire griffon, which motivated me to get a griffon.Decided to try to get a jackal, got one I didn't care for.

Mentioned on the forum that I had been interested in the Clouded Corvus, didn't much like my jackal skin, and didn't care about getting a skimmer.

Then I decided I'd try for a skimmer after all, and got the Clouded Corvus and THREE jackal skins (argh, the low point. Nearly identical, just different dye patterns.) and the lop springer, which at least looks hilarious died baby blue and pink being ridden by my growly Charr.

Decided to try ONE LAST TIME and got the Ocean Ray bubbly skimmer, and was done.

I kind of would like a second Raptor option, but I figure at this point, the odds are that I'll get one of the others, and feel no need at all for more griffons, springers, skimmers or (unless it's the starry one) jackals.

I've already dropped a bunch of money on the new mounts because I know what I'd hoped for wouldn't be implemented for a long time if ever and I love supporting anet and their artists. That said I have a love/hate relationship with the 400 gems ($5) for a random mount. At one point I like the idea of the randomness but at the same time I easily wouldn't mind spending say 600 gems for a specific mount. As a completionist I want to get them all so random is okay, and with 10+ characters on my account I can give everyone their own unique mount and color scheme. On the other hand I can't say that I like all the mounts and that I can say I'm in love with some of the raptors especially.

I was furious with the adoption system when I first saw the skins because (when you adopt something, it usually isn't at random), like everyone else, I wanted very specific ones--however, I understand that it all served a purpose (visual pollution reduction and revenue generation). Over a day or two of debating with myself, my will-power ambitiously lost out (R.N.G., WHY YOU HATE ME?). And now...

Ymrii the asuran reaper now cannot be found without her Clouded Corvus griffon, Cioara, who enjoys playing with her food: corpse minions, risen with the power of necromancy.

"Morphologically, griffons bear a strong resemblance to the tengu species/people. Both are avianoid, with beaks, feathers, and clawed phalanges. Their pinnae are also strikingly similar in structure and are most likely homologous features, much like their forelimbs and hind-limbs are, having a common origin to one another."

http://i65.tinypic.com/11r5hua.jpg

"The Clouded Corvus, Gryps corax nebulosae (shown above), is a different species of griffon than the common greater griffon (Gryps gryps gryps) which can be found in the arid and windy landscapes of Elona. They are, however, in the same genus: Gryps, of "greater griffons". Clouded Corvus griffons are predominantly found in the misty temperate rain-forests of the Woodland Cascades, but have been spotted ranging as far as the alpine forests of the Shiverpeaks--such as the Griffon Old Growth. The Corvus griffons are the only other species of griffon that are omnivorous (the other being the Sylph Griffon) and may occasionally dig up and consume tuberous vegetables--to supplement their diet of prey animals and grains like corn and wheat--much to the distress of the unfortunate farmer. The tails of the Clouded Corvus most closely resemble the tails of tengu, rather than those of other griffons and lesser griffons (Gryps-parvus spp.) whose tails more resemble those of charr--the similarities of the latter (between the tails of griffons and charr) are more likely a result of convergent evolution and are analogous in nature to one another."

http://i63.tinypic.com/1z316wp.jpg

Lydaeia, the sylvari ranger, dotes on her Spotted Sylph griffon, Iulani, as she does her other pets.

"The Spotted Slyph griffon, Gryps sylphes occulatae (pictured above), on the other hand, prefers dense humid jungle and makes its home in the heart of the Maguuma Jungle. Its spotted and counter-shaded plumage helps it to camouflage seamlessly in the dense dappled canopy of foliage. Its range overlaps slightly with that of the Clouded Corvus but are not known to interbreed with them. It is thought that their tails are partially prehensile, an adaptation which serves to improve balance in the dense treetops. Anyone who has encountered a griffon will remember seeing wing-claws protruding from the wrist section of their wings and wondered what they were for. For the Spotted Sylph, these appendages assist in clambering through branches and are especially helpful when they are young and are blown out of the nest in heavy storms. Speaking of wet weather, to protect itself from the damp conditions of the jungle, the Sylph's uropygial gland produces a near-excessive amount of preen oil which assists in reducing feather pests due to its anti-parasitic, anti-microbial, and anti-fungal properties. Like the Corvus griffon, the Spotted Sylph is omnivorous: in addition to its diet of fresh saurian meat, of course, it enjoys consuming the plentiful fruits of the jungle with other frugivorous creatures of the jungle."

http://i63.tinypic.com/10gyzc0.jpg

Xyrra and her Highland Harrier, which she affectionately calls "B-180", often go traveling where transportation via golem is not the most efficient.

"The Highland Harrier griffon, Gryps circus collinae (displayed above), occupies the highlands of Ascalon--namely, the Blazeridge Steppes--but range into the Elonian highlands as well as the eastern hills of the Shiverpeaks and Steamspur Mountains. It has been reported that the Harrier griffon's feathers and flesh are poisonous to consume due to the batrachotoxins present in feather and skin samples taken for analysis. Observations of its depredation upon venomous krait and poisonous hylek, among other creatures like: spiders, wasps, mosquitoes, devourers, bats, wurms, sand eels, ibogas and skale may explain how the Highlands Harrier metabolises and then incorporates the various toxins into its system. Highland Harriers typically prefer to nest in craggy outcroppings and caves below the alpine snowline on mountainsides, as opposed to treetops like the Corvus and Sylph griffons, or open-ground-nests as with the lesser griffons, and more like the cliff-side nests of common griffons and Badlands griffons."

http://i64.tinypic.com/oruj5j.jpg

Miaera befriended her Badlands-Stalker, Teodha, while hunting icebrood and defending griffon nests in the highland old growth forests of the western Shiverpeaks.

"Badlands Stalkers (a.k.a. Badlands griffons), Gryps volatus taciturnae (shown above), are silent fliers, soaring across canyons on thermals rising from the baked stone of the cliffs they call home. Ranging from the deserts of Elona and the Blazeridge Mountains to the canyons of Maguuma Wastes and the Steamspurs in-between, Badlands Stalkers are among the most wide-ranging (though, not most common) of griffon species. Their stockier build allows them to thrive in both hot and cold climates, ranging farther into chillier regions than all other greater griffon species (other than the common greater griffon), though they require warm columns of air to hunt effectively. Specialised down feathers, called 'pulviplumes' help to insulate the griffon from temperature extremes as well as providing a copious amount of feather dust which it uses to blind foes."

--excerpts from 'Descriptions of Griffon Subspecies: A Feathered Flurry'.

Personally, I would've enjoyed immersive side-quests connected to the acquisition of the different skins that related to its characteristics. :bleep_bloop: :#