How would you redesign the necromancer?

Lonami.2987

Do you feel like the necromancer could be much more? That his mechanics don't do his theme justice? Maybe his elite specializations have a weak design? Or do you just want to post some crazy ideas? Well, then this thread is for you.

So, just for fun, how would you redesign the necromancer?

Last update here: May 8, 2018

Few personal ideas to start the thread:

Necromancer - Minion Master

I like necromancer as it is, but since we're talking about redesigns, let's try something different.

There's something that I've never quite understood about him. Necromancers in fantasy have always been about minions. Not all necromancers need to be minion masters though, but ours does have minions, but as slot skills instead of the mechanic, where it would make more sense.

I feel like the necromancer could really improve if Death Shroud was removed from the core profession (leave it as a reaper-exclusive), and instead got a new mechanic, giving him more control over his minions.

This new mechanic would be called the Swarm, and work pretty much like the ranger's pet, except with multiple companions at once instead of a single pet. The mechanic bar would be similar to that of the pets, with basic controls to direct the swarm. Each swarm would respawn dead members every few seconds, though some skills would let you speed up the process. The classic minion skills would now boost the swarm, by adding special stronger minions to it.

You would have a few different swarms to choose from, each with different special skills, different stats, and different sizes. Few examples:

• Spectre Swarm: Ghostly minions, chill and slow.
  • Horror Swarm: Classic bone and flesh minions, good for direct damage and sustain.
  • Plague Swarm: Minions bloated with pustules, condition damage and ranged attacks.
  • Locust Swarm: Insect-like minions, strength in numbers, life-stealing.

Aside from that, swarms would be customizable with different aesthetics, selected from something similar to the ranger's Pet Management panel. For example, mummified with awakened ornaments. These would have no gameplay repercussions.

This redesign would give necromancer his well deserved minion master gameplay.

Reaper - Shroud customization

Not a lot to say here. If we follow the first idea, Shroud would become exclusive to the reaper, so let's spice that up a bit?

Following the four swarm types, reaper could get four different shrouds to choose from, each with different skills and stat boosts, similar to those of the swarms. You would only equip one, and need to go out of combat to switch it.

• Spectre Shroud: Similar to the current incarnation, wields a large scythe.
  • Horror Shroud: Wields a greatsword, and walks slowly.
  • Plague Shroud: Condition damage, wields a censer-like hammer.
  • Locust Shroud: An insect lord, wields an executioner's greataxe.

The transformation mechanic could replace the swarm mechanic, or work together with it, in which case the swarm would transform together with the necromancer, getting sacrificed in exchange of life force.

Scourge - Shade customization

Pretty much like the above idea, I would give scourges multiple Shades to choose from, based on the same archetypes as before. In this case, the swarm would be nowhere to be seen, replaced by the shade mechanic altogether.

• Frost Shade: Defensive, chills and slows, regeneration.
  • Bone Shade: Offensive, direct damage.
  • Putrid Shade: Offensive, poison, corrupt enemy boons.
  • Flame Shade: Offensive, Dhuumfire, burning and torment.
  • Sand Shade: Bonus shade, based on the original. Defensive, barrier and support, blind.

Each shade would now have different skills, which they would all perform at the same time. You would equip two shades, and then be able to swap between them. No longer being locked to just one, it would let us get more specialized shades, adapted for each situation. For example, you could have an offensive and a defensive shade, and alternate between each other during combat. Swapping shades would update currently deployed shades to the new type.

Just some random ideas to begin the thread. Waiting for yours! =)

Profession Redesign series:Elementalist - Mesmer - Necromancer - Engineer - Ranger - Thief - Guardian - Revenant - Warrior

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, for the most part, necro is fine as it is. All that is really needed is more damage, more stability, some group utility (like changing Dread into a debuff on enemies that make them suffer 10-15% more dmg from attacks) and core necro shroud buff/redesign.

However, I enjoy your imagination :)

Core Necro needs some serious loving.

They need to overhaul Death Magic and Blood Magic to an extent - so many bad traits in these 2 lines and a few sprinkled in the other lines.

Curses, Spite and Soul Reaping all have some nice options, but the other 2 trait lines fall behind.

Focus - could use some cast time improvements or a better payoff for what they do with current cast times.Dagger - not a fun weapon to use. Not sure how to change this.Staff - could add some additional group condi cleanse back to staff 4. Staff 2 could use an extra bleed - the weapon does poor DPS except in WvW blob fests.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could tailor the staff skills for power or condi (like that would ever happen).

Death Shroud needs a full review to bring it in line with Reaper Shroud, eg;DS1 - Increase projectile speed to match underwater DS1.DS2 - 900 - 1200 range ground target teleport / blink (make it fast).DS3 - Add 2 stacks of stability.DS4 - Speed up the channel time somewhat.DS5 - This is pretty solid.

I would Buff Vampiric presence to to 60-70 so that it may be of any actual use. I would almost full rework the Blood Line as it has so many terrible traits. I woul give reaper a unique buff, an aura that causes allies to deal increased damage against chilled foes. I would completely rework gravedigger, its a dull skill. I would change sand savant to being you no longer cast sand shades and instead only pulse around yourself but then scale up the damage and targets to accomodate.That would be my very first pass

@Zoltreez.6435 said:

Honestly, necro is fine as it is.
All that is really
needed is more damage, more stability, some group utility and core necro shroud buff/redesign.

LOL

Fine as it is huh ?.......

I wouldn't redesign the profession/elites. Just buff the numbers and do some adjustments here and there. If the design of the necromancer does not appeal to you, then play another profession.

@Methuselah.4376 said:

All that is really
needed is more damage, more stability, some group utility and core necro shroud buff/redesign.

LOL

I wouldn't redesign the profession/elites. Just buff the numbers and do some adjustments here and there. If the design of the necromancer does not appeal to you, then play another profession.

Bandaids don't help core design issues, it just makes them more difficult to deal with later down the line. That said, what you proposed wasn't just "more numbers".

In your own words "More Stability, Some Group Utility and Core Necro Shroud buff/redesign". That isn't "fine as is" that is certainly calling for a redo of necromancer's design.

Id love to see some traitline reworks.

The necromancer condition: fear can be traited, but its split in so many different traitlines, that its not worth taking any of these.

And we dont have that many options to apply fear. Just 3. Spectral wall, f3 (f4 on scourge), and with luck a corrupt of stability.

Not really good options to apply fear. So why dont they make it just a little bit op

@Aplethoraof.2643 said:

All that is really

LOL

Bandaids don't help core design issues, it just makes them more difficult to deal with later down the line. That said, what you proposed wasn't just "more numbers".

In your own words "More Stability, Some Group Utility and Core Necro Shroud buff/redesign". That isn't "fine as is" that is certainly calling for a redo of necromancer's design.

I apologize, I think we're misunderstanding each other. When I hear "re-design" I take it to mean scrapping how it plays now and create something entirely new (example removing Reaper's Shroud as it is and inserting some other skills). Most of the changes I suggested are easily implemented; ex. Reapers Shroud 3 could grant 3 stability to begin with and pulse two more for as long as the armor lasts, well of power could also grant pulsating 2 second stability. The change to Dread I presented could also be implemented without redesigning the profession (and it's a core trait to begin with). But yes, to insert a bit of hypocrisy, core shroud needs a re-haul.

overall i like reaper as is, aka only havin 1 shroud. i'd rather not have 4 to have to pick from every time (to close to Ele)

plus i like my Reaper with their minions, sacrificing the minions whenever i go into shroud (which i do often to break stun, teleport downed allies to me, and recover hp) would be a pain. as i rely on them and Vamperic to recover hp while i in shroud, and then recover life force when out of shroud. cutting minions away when i shroud as reaper would hurt.

i'd love to have more choice in what minions you take, not to mention visual options (like skins for minions).
plus having different shrouds to pick from(could use traits to select one, similar to daredevil's dodge).

no comment on scourge as my build is literally designed to counter that overused WvW spam class

@Methuselah.4376 said:

All that is really

LOL

I apologize, I think we're misunderstanding each other. When I hear "re-design" I take it to mean scrapping how it plays now and create something entirely new (example removing Reaper's Shroud as it is and inserting some other skills). Most of the changes I suggested are easily implemented; ex. Reapers Shroud 3 could grant 3 stability to begin with and pulse two more for as long as the armor lasts, well of power could also grant pulsating 2 second stability. The change to Dread I presented could also be implemented without redesigning the profession (and it's a core trait to begin with). But yes, to insert a bit of hypocrisy, core shroud needs a re-haul.

Yeah, that's the idea. You have ton of balance threads around to talk about the numbers, I would like to focus on design changes, as far as you want to take them, so go crazy with the redesigns if you want. It's just for fun, and I could see some ideas eventually leading to elite specializations, so it's not a waste of time if you worry about that.

Personally, I think all core professions need a heavy redesign. Elite specializations were never part of the original plans, the professions weren't ready for them, and it shows. The problems are all around if you start paying attention, and they should be fixed at the core, not through elite specializations. These problems are limiting the potential of elite specializations as well.

I think they'll eventually need to overhaul the core professions, updating the mechanics, adding new weapons plus the missing healing and elite slot skills, and more. I don't think they will go as far as to redesign entire mechanics, which is a pity, but hey, it's fun talking about it anyway.

@arenta.2953 said:overall i like reaper as is, aka only havin 1 shroud. i'd rather not have 4 to have to pick from every time (to close to Ele)

plus i like my Reaper with their minions, sacrificing the minions whenever i go into shroud (which i do often to break stun, teleport downed allies to me, and recover hp) would be a pain. as i rely on them and Vamperic to recover hp while i in shroud, and then recover life force when out of shroud. cutting minions away when i shroud as reaper would hurt.

i'd love to have more choice in what minions you take, not to mention visual options (like skins for minions).

plus having different shrouds to pick from(could use traits to select one, similar to daredevil's dodge).

no comment on scourge as my build is literally designed to counter that overused WvW spam class

I didn't leave that clear enough, edited it to avoid confusion. What I meant is that you have four shrouds to choose from, as in, you choose one of those four. Same for the swarms. Scourges choose two shades, and can swap between them. So, you still have a single shroud, but you equip the one you prefer instead to being locked to a single option.

It's all based on the ranger's pet variety. I feel like every profession should have an equal level of customization, if possible.

@Lonami.2987 said:

All that is really

LOL

Yeah, that's the idea. You have ton of balance threads around to talk about the numbers, I would like to focus on design changes, as far as you want to take them, so go crazy with the redesigns if you want. It's just for fun, and I could see some ideas eventually leading to elite specializations, so it's not a waste of time if you worry about that.

Personally, I think all core professions need a heavy redesign. Elite specializations were never part of the original plans, the professions weren't ready for them, and it shows. The problems are all around if you start paying attention, and they should be fixed at the core, not through elite specializations. These problems are limiting the potential of elite specializations as well.

I think they'll eventually need to overhaul the core professions, updating the mechanics, adding new weapons plus the missing healing and elite slot skills, and more. I don't think they will go as far as to redesign entire mechanics, which is a pity, but hey, it's fun talking about it anyway.

@arenta.2953 said:overall i like reaper as is, aka only havin 1 shroud. i'd rather not have 4 to have to pick from every time (to close to Ele)

I didn't leave that clear enough, edited it to avoid confusion. What I meant is that you have four shrouds to choose from, as in, you choose one of those four. Same for the swarms. Scourges choose two shades, and can swap between them. So, you still have a single shroud, but you equip the one you prefer instead to being locked to a single option.

It's all based on the ranger's pet variety. I feel like every profession should have an equal level of customization, if possible.

works for me...just dont blow up my minions when i go into shroud.

if anything, make the minions get some effect when i go into shroud. like maybe have a shadowy effect on them.

I would 1st redesign the devs that work on necromancers............

this thread like ALL the other threads with suggestions and ideas for Necros is pointless...... they don't care about the players..... the hundreds of well made posts and sugestions for necros from players that ALL without exception got ignored Since MANY years now proves it....

I would

1. increase in dmg forGW skills or speed increase. revamp gravedigger completely. Instead of no cd more like more dmg or smh like that.
  2. fix staff the weapon is stupid and just sad and i use it cuz...
  3. dagger needs some serious love.
  4. core necro traits buffed or changed for more options.
  5. also why we at it I like reaper shroud but it needs more dmg cuz its a joke.

but most importantly would be core necro and GW and dagger i guess but everything is important

Life Force gain Re-work

Necromancers no longer gain life force from the deaths of ambient enemies.

All skill-specific instances of life force gain are removed (Death Shroud skills and some traits will still generate flat, percentage-based amounts of life force).

Soulreap (3s): For each stack, gain 0.5% life force every second.

Whenever a Necromancer successfully strikes a foe in combat, that player gains a stack of Soulreap (always a 3-second duration; stacks in intensity up to 5 times baseline). Whenever a player enters into shroud, that player immediately loses all active Soulreap stacks. Players cannot gain Soulreap stacks while in shroud.

Certain skills (i.e. spectrals) and power-leaning traits or traitlines can temporarily increase the maximum amount of Soulreap stacks that one can have at a single time. Condition-leaning lines and traits will have minors and some majors embedded with trade-offs which passively (always in effect) reduce (typically by 1 stack per respective trait) the amount of baseline Soulreap stacks that a player can have at once.

Should a player have a Soulreap stack total that is above that player's respective baseline maximum at the point at which a stack limit increase buff ends, that player's Soulreap stack is immediately reduced to that player's next highest stack limit atural maximum stack limit (i.e. if a player has 8 Soulreap stacks when Spectral Armor ends, and had no other Soulreap stack increase buffs active at the time, that player's stack limit is immediately reset to 5).

• Power builds will retain high LF generation through attacking with potential ways to temporarily further increase LF generation by means of conditional triggers or specific actions. Condition builds will still steadily generate LF but at a slower baseline rate than power builds.

SPECTRAL RE-WORKS FOR SOULREAP

![spectral Armor]!Recharge: 8s!Spectral. Gain an initial barrier. Soulreap stack limit is temporarily increased.! Initial barrier: 3055 (0.5)! Spectral Armor (8s): Soulreap stack limit increased by 3.! Maximum Count: 2! Count Recharge: 40s!* Breaks stun

![spectral Walk]!Recharge: 25s!Spectral. Soulreap stack limit is temporarily increased. Gain superspeed at every interval while you are above the Soulreap stack threshold. You may return to your initial position by using Spectral Recall.! Spectral Walk (10s): Soulreap stack limit increased by 3; gain superspeed while above the Soulreap stack threshold.! Soulreap stack threshold: 5! Interval: 1s! Superspeed (1s): Movement Speed is greatly increased!* Breaks stun

![spectral Grasp]!Recharge: 15s!Spectral. Soulreap stack is temporarily increased. You may activate Spectral Hale to pull nearby foes to you.!* Spectral Grasp (10s): Soulreap stack limit increased by 5.

![spectral Hale]!Cast-time: ¾s / Recharge: 30s!Spectral. Pull nearby foes to you.! Number of foes: 5! Pull radius: 600!* Unblockable

!Has its own respective cooldown separate from Spectral Grasp.

DEATH MAGIC RE-WORKS

!Putrid Defense removed and replaced with Strong Soul (Death Magic adept-major)!Recharge: 1s!While at or above the Soulreap stack threshold, gain might at every interval.! Soulreap stack threshold: 5! Interval: 1s!* Might (6s): +30 Power, +30 Condition Damage

!Soul Comprehension (Death Magic master-minor)

!Soul Comprehension (Death Magic major minor)!When you enter into shroud, you briefly gain life force at every interval.! Soul Comprehension (4s): Gain life force at every interval.! Interval: 1s!* Life Force: 3%

!Deadly Strength (Death Magic master-major)

!If you enter shroud while you are at or above the might stack threshold, lose might stacks and grant Deadly Strength to nearby allies.! Might Stack threshold: 5! Might Stacks lost: 5! Number of allies: 10! Deadly Strength (20s): +150 Power, +150 Condition Damage!* Radius: 300

!This effect does not stack in any way. New instances of Deadly Strength will overwrite any active instances.

!Corruptor's Fervor name changed to Dark Fervor (Death Magic grandmaster-major)

!While at or above the Soulreap stack threshold, pulse increased power to nearby allies at every interval.! Number of allies: 10! Soulreap stack threshold: 8! Interval: 3s! Dark Fervor (9s): +150 Power

!Similar to banners, this effect does not stack in any way.

Unique Necromancer party-support mechanic

Bloodthirst: Heal for 7.5% of outgoing damage; cannot gain more than a total of 50 (0.5) health in this way per second.

This effect does not stack in any way.

Total potential health gain per second scales directly with the caster's Healing Power regardless of which ally receives the buff. This buff effectively works as a pro-active version of Regeneration (heals in totals which are calculated within 1-second intervals; player must be doing damage to obtain healing). If a player hits the healing cap before a 1-second interval ends, any further damage inflicted during that 1-second interval will not count toward or result in any healing.

BLOOD MAGIC RE-WORKS

! Mark of Evasion name changed to Ravenous (Blood Magic adept-minor)

!Gain an increased critical hit chance while under the effects of Bloodthirst.!* Critical Hit Chance Increase: 5%

!Blood Bond (Blood Magic adept-major)

!Whenever you apply Bloodthirst to an ally, you also grant stacking power and ferocity.! Number of allies: 5! Blood Bond (20s): +30 Power, +30 Ferocity!* Maximum Stacks: 5

!Vampiric (Blood Magic master-minor)

!Bloodthirst heals when it is applied.!* Healing: 130 (0.125)

!This healing applies to all allies as well as the user so long as a given instance of Bloodthirst is applied by a user equipped with this trait.

!Vampiric Presence (Blood Magic master-major)

!Grant Bloodthirst to nearby allies when you use Shroud 4.! Number of allies: 10! Bloodthirst (5s): Heal for 7.5% of outgoing damage; cannot gain more than a total of 50 (0.5) health in this way per second.!* Radius: 300

!Last Rites (Blood Magic grandmaster-minor)

!* Healing Power bonus is now fixed at +150.

!Vampiric Rituals (Blood Magic grandmaster-major)

!Upon creation, wells grant Bloodthirst to nearby allies.! Number of allies: 5! Bloodthirst (3s): Heal for 7.5% of outgoing damage; cannot gain more than a total of 50 (0.5) health in this way per second.!* Bloodthirst application radius: 300

!The radius of this trait's Bloodthirst application is centered at the middle of an associated well's placement location.

BLOODTHIRST IN NON-WEAPON SKILLS

![blood is Power]! Cast-time: ¾s / Recharge: 20s! Corruption. Grant Might and Bloodthirst to nearby allies.! Number of allies: 10! Might|10| (10s): +300 Power, +300 Condition Damage! Bloodthirst (5s): Heal for 7.5% of outgoing damage; cannot gain more than a total of 50 (0.5) health in this way per second.! Combo Finisher: Blast! * Radius: 300

![signet of Vampirism]! Cast-time: 1¼s / Recharge: 25s! Passive: While in combat, gain life force over time whenever you are under the effects of Bloodthirst.

! Active: Gain health over time. Mark nearby foes for increased damage and grant Bloodthirst to nearby allies.! Passive Combat-Only Bloodthirst life force gain: 0.5%! Passive life force gain interval: 1s! Self Healing per second: 1620 (0.5)! Self Healing duration: 5s! Number of allies: 5! Number of targets: 5! Bloodthirst (5s): Heal for 7.5% of outgoing damage; cannot gain more than a total of 50 (0.5) health in this way per second.! Vampiric Curse (8s): 15% Incoming Damage! * Radius: 300

![Well of Suffering]

! Recharge reduced from 35s to 15s.! Duration (in seconds) and total pulses reduced from 6 to 5 respectively.! No longer inflicts vulnerability.! Radius reduced from 240 to 180.

![Well of Corruption]

!* Recharge reduced from 40s to 30s.

![Well of Power]

Weapons and Death Shroud

DAGGER

! [Necrotic Slash] (1a)! Cast-time: ½s! Slash foes.! Number of targets: 3! Damage: (0.7)! * Range: 130

! [Necrotic Stab] (1b)

! Cast-time increased from [current] to ½s.! Number of targets increased from 2 to 3.

! [Necrotic Bite] (1c)!Cast-time: ¾s!Stab foes and increase your maximum Soulreap stack limit.! Number of targets: 3! Damage (1.4)! Necrotic Bite (3s): Soulreap stack limit increased by 2.! Range: 130

!This skill only grants an increase to the user's Soulreap stack limit if it successfully strikes a foe.

! [Life Siphon] (2)! Cast-time: 2¼s / Recharge: ½s! Siphon life from foes in front of you. While below the life force threshold this skill's initial strike increases your maximum Soulreap stack limit. If you are above the threshold, your initial strike grants Bloodthirst.! Number of targets: 5! Damage (4x): (2.8)! Life Force threshold: 30%! Life Siphon (3s): Soulreap stack limit increased by 2.! Bloodthirst (3s): Heal for 7.5% of outgoing damage; cannot gain more than a total of 50 (0.5) health in this way per second.! Maximum Count: 2! Count Recharge: 10s! Range: 400

!This attack strikes foes in a cone identical to Elementalist [Cone of Cold].

! [Dark Pact] (3)! Cast-time: 1s / Recharge: 10s! Leap to the target area and damage foes when you land. Deal more damage based on your life force total.! Number of targets: 5! Damage below 25% life force: (0.25)! Damage above 25% life force: (0.75)! Damage above 50% life force: (1.25)! Damage above 75% life force: (1.75)! Radius: 180! Combo Finisher: Leap! Range: 800

!Attack functions identically to Engineer's [Jump Shot].

FOCUS

! [Reaper's Touch] (4)! Cast-time: ¾s / Recharge: ½s! Unleash a barrage of necrotic blades that return to you. These blades damage foes and heal allies.! Number of targets: 5! Number of allies: 5! Blades: 3! Damage: (0.75)! Healing: 130 (0.125)! Maximum Count: 2! Count Recharge: 12s! Range: 900

!This skill fires “necromancer-green” [Vapor Blade] projectiles which space themselves and travel out in a manner that is functionally equivalent to the 3-blade version of the Poobadoo [Vapor Blade] attack.

! [spinal Shivers] (5)! Cast-time: 1s / Recharge: 25s! Curse the ground in front of you, damaging and stripping boons from foes with every pulse. If this field strikes a foe without boons, it also dazes that foe.! Number of targets: 5! Damage (6x): (3.0)! Boons removed per pulse: 1! Daze vs foes without boons: 1s! Field duration: 6s! Combo Field: Ice! Range: 480! Unblockable

!Skill functions akin to Revenant [searing Fissure]. The field created by this skill also matches the size of [searing Fissure].

!The field strikes immediately upon creation and then at the start of each second of its duration (6 strikes total).

DEATH SHROUD

! [Life Blast]! Cast-time: 1s! Unleash a blast of life force that explodes on impact, damaging nearby foes. If you are above the life force threshold, this blast leaves behind a pulsing field of dark energy which continues to damage foes.! Number of blast targets: 3! Blast damage: (1.4)! Blast radius: 180! Range: 1200! Life Force Threshold: 75%! Number of Field targets: 5! Field damage (2x): (1.6)! Field duration: 2s! * Field radius: 150

!Shares the same projectile arc and travel speed as Elementalist [Fireball].

!The field strikes foes at the end of each second of its duration.

!The pulsing, threshold-conditional field has no combo field typing in order to prevent excessive mono-type field spam.

! [Dark Path]! Recharge: ½s! Teleport to the target location.! Maximum Count: 2! Count Recharge: 15s! * Range: 500

! [Doom]! Recharge: 15s! Fear foes at the target location.! Number of targets: 5! Fear (1s): Involuntary retreat; unable to act; stacks duration! Radius: 150! Range: 900

! [Life Transfer]! * Recharge reduced from 40s to 30s.

! [Tainted Shackles] (PvP)! Cast-time: ¼s / Recharge: ½s! Reveal and bind nearby foes with your life force, increasing incoming damage on them. If the bind is allowed to expire naturally, it inflicts heavy damage.! Number of targets: 5! Initial revealed (3s): You cannot stealth! Tainted Shackles (4s): 15% Incoming Damage, 15% Incoming Condition Damage! Expiration damage: (1.5)! Maximum Count: 2! Count Recharge: 25s! Shackle radius: 600! Unblockable

! [Tainted Shackles] (PvE)! Cast-time: ¼s / Recharge: ½s! Reveal and bind nearby foes with your life force, increasing incoming damage on them. If the bind is allowed to expire naturally, it inflicts heavy damage.! Number of targets: 5! Initial revealed (3s): You cannot stealth! Tainted Shackles (6s): 15% Incoming Damage, 15% Incoming Condition Damage! Expiration damage: (3.0)! Maximum Count: 2! Count Recharge: 25s! Shackle radius: 600! Unblockable

@Swagg.9236 said:

DEATH MAGIC RE-WORKS

!
Putrid Defense
removed and replaced with
Strong Soul
(Death Magic adept-major)
!Recharge: 1s!While above the Soulreap stack threshold, gain might at every interval.!
Soulreap stack threshold: 5!
Interval: 1s!* Might (8s): +30 Power, +30 Condition Damage

!
Soul Comprehension
(Death Magic master-minor)

!
Soul Comprehension
(Death Magic major minor)!When you enter into shroud, you briefly gain life force at every interval.!
Soul Comprehension (4s): Gain life force at every interval.!
Interval: 1s!* Life Force: 3%

!
Deadly Strength
(Death Magic master-major)

!If you enter shroud while you are at or above the might stack threshold, lose might stacks and grant Deadly Strength to nearby allies.!
Might Stack threshold: 5!
Might Stacks lost: 5!
Number of allies: 10!
Deadly Strength (20s): +150 Power, +150 Condition Damage!* Radius: 300

!
This effect does not stack in any way. New instances of Deadly Strength will overwrite any active instances.

!
Corruptor's Fervor
name changed to
Dark Fervor
(Death Magic grandmaster-major)

!While above the Soulreap stack threshold, pulse increased power to nearby allies at every interval.!
Soulreap stack threshold: 5!
Interval: 3s!
Dark Fervor (9s): +150 Power

!
Similar to banners, this effect does not stack in any way.

Unique Necromancer party-support mechanic

Bloodthirst: Heal for 7.5% of outgoing damage; cannot gain more than a total of 50 (0.5) health in this way per second.

This effect does not stack in any way.

Total potential health gain per second scales directly with the caster's Healing Power regardless of which ally receives the buff. This buff effectively works as a pro-active version of Regeneration (heals in totals which are calculated within 1-second intervals; player must be doing damage to obtain healing). If a player hits the healing cap before a 1-second interval ends, any further damage inflicted during that 1-second interval will not count toward or result in any healing.

BLOOD MAGIC RE-WORKS

!
Mark of Evasion
name changed to
Ravenous
(Blood Magic adept-minor)

!Gain an increased critical hit chance while under the effects of Bloodthirst.!* Critical Hit Chance Increase: 5%

!
Blood Bond
(Blood Magic adept-major)

!Whenever you apply Bloodthirst to an ally, you also grant stacking power and ferocity.!
Number of allies: 5!
Blood Bond (20s): +30 Power, +30 Ferocity!* Maximum Stacks: 5

!
Vampiric
(Blood Magic master-minor)

!Bloodthirst heals when it is applied.!* Healing: 130 (0.125)

!
This healing applies to all allies as well as the user so long as a given instance of Bloodthirst is applied by a user equipped with this trait.

!
Vampiric Presence
(Blood Magic master-major)

!Grant Bloodthirst to nearby allies when you use Shroud 4.!
Bloodthirst (5s): Heal for 7.5% of outgoing damage; cannot gain more than a total of 50 (0.5) health in this way per second.!* Radius: 300

!
Last Rites
(Blood Magic grandmaster-minor)

!* Healing Power bonus is now fixed at +150.

!
Vampiric Rituals
(Blood Magic grandmaster-major)

!Upon creation, wells grant Bloodthirst to nearby allies.!
Bloodthirst (3s): Heal for 7.5% of outgoing damage; cannot gain more than a total of 50 (0.5) health in this way per second.!* Bloodthirst application radius: 300

!
The radius of this trait's Bloodthirst application is centered at the middle of an associated well's placement location.

BLOODTHIRST IN NON-WEAPON SKILLS

!
[blood is Power]
! Cast-time: ¾s / Recharge: 20s! Corruption. Grant Might and Bloodthirst to nearby allies.!
Might|10| (10s): +300 Power, +300 Condition Damage!
Bloodthirst (5s): Heal for 7.5% of outgoing damage; cannot gain more than a total of 50 (0.5) health in this way per second.!
Combo Finisher: Blast! * Radius: 300

!
Pulses immediately upon cast and then at the end of every 2nd second of its duration (total of 3 pulses over 4 seconds in order to apply a total of 6s of Bloodthirst).

!
[signet of Vampirism]
! Cast-time: 1¼s / Recharge: 25s! Passive: While in combat, gain life force over time whenever you are under the effects of Bloodthirst.

! Active: Gain health over time. Mark nearby foes for increased damage and grant Bloodthirst to nearby allies.!
Passive Combat-Only Bloodthirst life force gain: 0.5%!
Passive life force gain interval: 1s!
Self Healing per second: 1620 (0.5)!
Self Healing duration: 5s!
Number of targets: 5!
Bloodthirst (5s): Heal for 7.5% of outgoing damage; cannot gain more than a total of 50 (0.5) health in this way per second.!
Vampiric Curse (8s): 15% Incoming Damage! * Radius: 300

!
[Well of Suffering]

!
Recharge reduced from 35s to 15s.!
Duration (in seconds) and total pulses reduced from 6 to 5 respectively.!
No longer inflicts vulnerability.!
Radius reduced from 240 to 180.

!
[Well of Corruption]

!
[Well of Power]

Weapons and Death Shroud

DAGGER

!
[Necrotic Slash]
(1a)! Cast-time: ½s! Slash foes.!
Number of targets: 3!
Damage: (0.7)! * Range: 130

!
[Necrotic Stab]
(1b)

!
Cast-time increased from [current] to ½s.!
Number of targets increased from 2 to 3.

!
[Necrotic Bite]
(1c)!Cast-time: ¾s!Stab foes and increase your maximum Soulreap stack limit.!
Number of targets: 3!
Damage (1.4)!
Necrotic Bite (3s): Soulreap stack limit increased by 2.!
Range: 130

!
[Life Siphon]
(2)! Cast-time: 2¼s / Recharge: ½s! Siphon life from foes in front of you. While below the life force threshold this skill's initial strike increases your maximum Soulreap stack limit. If you are above the threshold, your initial strike grants Bloodthirst.!
Damage (4x): (3.2)!
Life Force threshold: 30%!
Life Siphon (3s): Soulreap stack limit increased by 2.!
Bloodthirst (3s): Heal for 7.5% of outgoing damage; cannot gain more than a total of 50 (0.5) health in this way per second.!
Maximum Count: 2!
Count Recharge: 10s!
Range: 400

!
This attack strikes foes in a cone identical to Elementalist [Cone of Cold].

!
[Dark Pact]
(3)! Cast-time: 1s / Recharge: 10s! Leap to the target area and damage foes when you land. Deal more damage based on your life force total.!
Damage below 25% life force: (0.25)!
Damage above 25% life force: (0.75)!
Damage above 50% life force: (1.25)!
Damage above 75% life force: (1.75)!
Radius: 180!
Combo Finisher: Leap!
Range: 800

DEATH SHROUD

!
[Life Blast]
! Cast-time: 1s! Unleash a blast of life force that explodes on impact, damaging nearby foes. If you are above the life force threshold, this blast leaves behind a pulsing field of dark energy which continues to damage foes.!
Number of blast targets: 3!
Blast damage: (1.4)!
Blast radius: 180!
Range: 1200!
Life Force Threshold: 75%!
Number of Field targets: 5!
Field damage (2x): (1.6)!
Field duration: 2s! * Field radius: 150

!*Shares the same projectile arc and travel speed as Elementalist [Fireball].

!
The field strikes foes at the end of each second of its duration.

!
The pulsing, threshold-conditional field has no combo field typing in order to prevent excessive mono-type field spam.

!
[Dark Path]
! Recharge: ½s! Teleport to the target location.!
Count Recharge: 15s! * Range: 500

!
[Doom]
! Recharge: 15s! Fear foes at the target location.!
Fear (1s): Involuntary retreat; unable to act; stacks duration!
Radius: 150!
Range: 900

!
[Life Transfer]
! * Recharge reduced from 40s to 30s.

!
[Tainted Shackles] (PvP)
! Cast-time: ¼s / Recharge: ½s! Reveal and bind nearby foes with your life force, increasing incoming damage on them. If the bind is allowed to expire naturally, it inflicts heavy damage.!
Initial revealed (3s): You cannot stealth!
Tainted Shackles (4s): 15% Incoming Damage, 15% Incoming Condition Damage!
Expiration damage: (1.5)!
Count Recharge: 25s!
Shackle radius: 600!
Unblockable

!
[Tainted Shackles] (PvE)
! Cast-time: ¼s / Recharge: ½s! Reveal and bind nearby foes with your life force, increasing incoming damage on them. If the bind is allowed to expire naturally, it inflicts heavy damage.!
Initial revealed (3s): You cannot stealth!
Tainted Shackles (6s): 15% Incoming Damage, 15% Incoming Condition Damage!
Expiration damage: (3.0)!
Count Recharge: 25s!
Shackle radius: 600!
Unblockable

this is sooooooo wonderful <3 <3 <3 <3thank You! such changes would be a dream come true <3 <3 <3 <3for me only [Dark Path] should have range 900 , the rest is perfect :)

@Methuselah.4376 said:

All that is really

LOL

Said the same thing for a petless ranger and look what happened. The necromancer in this game is a husk of what a necromancer truly is.

@Silmariena.6205 said:

this is sooooooo wonderful <3 <3 <3 <3thank You! such changes would be a dream come true <3 <3 <3 <3for my only [Dark Path] should have range 900 , the rest is perfect :)

Haha, I appreciate it. The thing about dark path, however, is that while giving it a 2 ammo charge for flexible usage really opens up a lot of play options for necro, giving a class the ability to blink 1800 range on a 15s cooldown would be kind of obnoxious (thief shortbow5 is already annoying enough to watch someone else spam). 1000 range is already very strong especially considering how its comprised of two instantaneous juke blinks. I could probably justify dark path as a 600 range blink, but that's probably the limit.

I would like to see Lich Form almost completely erased and be replaced with Grim Specter (current Lich Form 5). Keep it with the current Lich Form life force gain and bump the cooldown to at least 60 seconds, possibly up to 75.

Death Magic and Core Shroud need soooo much attention, though. Staff, mainhand dagger, and Focus all do as well.

If I had power over the condition system.

• Cripple: Movement speed decreased by 66%. Gap closer range decreased by 33%, does not stack.Uncleansable, Profession: Necromancer, Guardian, Engineer, RevenantGrasping Dead: Summon skeletal hands to cripple foes in front of you.Activation Time: 3/4s, Recharge Time: 8s, Range: 900, Number of Targets: 5, Cripple 3sMark of Cripple (Chilblains): Inscribe a mark that cripple the target area.Activation Time: 3/4s, Recharge Time: 12s, Range: 1200, Number of Targets: 5, Cripple: 3sLocust Swarm: Gain swiftness and summon a swarm of locusts that cripple nearby foes.Activation Time: 1/4s, Recharge Time: 30s, Radius: 210, Number of Targets: 5, Duration: 6s, Swiftness: 6s, Cripple: 1sSignet of the Locust: Passive: You run 25% faster. Active: Cripple you target.Activation Time: 3/4s, Recharge Time: 15s, Range: 1200, Cripple: 3s

• Poison: Heal potency decreased by 66%; does not stack.Uncleansable, Profession: Necromancer, Thief, Engineer, RangerFeast of Corruption: Strike your target, gain life force, and poison your foe.Activation Time: 1/4s, Recharge Time: 8s, Range: 900, Poison: 1s, Life Force: ???Mark of Poison (Mark of Blood): Inscribe a mark that poison the target area.Activation Time: 3/4s, Recharge Time: 12s, Range: 1200, Number of Targets: 5, Poison: 3sCorrosive Poison Cloud: The target area is enveloped in a noxious cloud that poisons foes.Activation Time: 3/4s, Recharge Time: 30s, Range: 1200, Radius: 360, Number of Targets: 5, Duration: 8s, Poison: 1sParasitic Contagion (Blood Magic Grandmaster): Absorb health from poisoned foes.

• Blind: All outgoing attack misses, does not stack.Uncleansable, Profession: Necromancer, Thief, MesmerDeathly Swarm: Blind your target and unleash an insect swarm that reduce recharges upon landing.Activation Time: 1/4s, Recharge Time: 18s, Range: 900, Blind: 1s, Recharge Reduced: ???Well of Darkness: Target area pulses, blinding foes with each pulse.Activation Time: 1/4s, Recharge Time: 35s, Radius: 240, Number of Targets: 5, Duration: 5s, Blind: 1sDeath's Charge: Slide forward, blinding foes in your path.Activation Time: 1 1/4s, Recharge Time: 6s, Range: 600, Blind: 1s

• Weakness: Offensive potential decreased by 33%, does not stack.Uncleansable, Profession: Necromancer, WarriorEnfeebling Blood: Inflict weakness on foes in the target area.Activation Time: 3/4s, Recharge Time: 25s, Range: 900, Radius: 240, Weakness: 6sYou Are All Weaklings: Damage foes around you inflicting weakness on them and giving you boons when struck.Activation Time: 1/4s, Recharge Time: 20s, Radius: 600, Number of Targets: 5, Weakness: 1s, Quickness: 1s, Duration: 1sWeakening Shroud (Death Magic Grandmaster): Weakness nearby foes when entering Shroud. Take less damage from weakened foes.Weakness: 1s, Damage Reduced: ???

• Chill: Recharge time increased by 33%. Endurance regeneration decreased by 100%, does not stack.Uncleansable, Professions: Reaper, Elementalists, RevenantExecutioner's Scythe: Deliver a powerful overhand strike to chill your foes. Deals more damage the lower health the target is.Activation Time: 1 1/4s, Recharge Time: 30s, Radius: 300, Number of Targets: 5, Chill: 3sDeath Spiral: Conjure a drill of dark energy on your blade and chill foes in front of you.Activation Time: 1s, Recharge Time: 12s, Range: 220, Number of Targets: 3, Chill: 3sSuffer: Damage foes around you and chill them.Activation Time: 1/4s, Recharge Time: 20s, Radius: 600, Number of Targets: 5, Chill: 1sChilled to the Bone: Freeze all enemies around. Gain boons for each foe you freeze.Activation Time: 1 1/4s, Recharge Time: 90s, Radius: 600, Number of Targets: 5, Chill: 8s, StabilityDeathly Chill (Reaper Grandmaster): Hitting chilled foes reduces the recharge on all you skills.Recharge Time Reduced: 1s

The only think I would want to see is bring back minion summoning from Guild Wars 1 where when you kill a mob then you can summon a minion I miss that kind of summoning pet. As far as Necromancer other skills would be nice to see curses, shadow powers, and other dark magic that could be cool to see on the Necromancer.

I'd rework boons and conditions and add a new condition: corruption, which negated the effects of boons on affected players and has a last come 1st serve relationship with resistance. I'd make weakness reduce power and condi damage by a percentage, and also make protection affect condi damage. I'd also change the eternal oasis' 33% in coming healing effect to be a boon that corrupts to and is converted from poison, and give it a healing over time effect.

As for necro:I'd change corruption skills, I would make them remove x number of boons and apply corruption and torment plus flavor for each skill, I'd rework the well skills to have a front loaded effect then pulse that same effect over the duration of the well, I'd rework spectral skills and make them apply ethereal to the necromancer, then change minions to be the condi spam skill of necros; their autos apply 1 stack of a conditions with each hit, while thier active being changed to sacrifice the minion to apply a multiple stacks of the condition they apply based on the current hp of the minion when it was sacrificed (heal skill is excluded and just gives more healing).

For weapons, I'd change daggers, both off-hand and main-hand, to focus on power damage and dueling, changing dagger 2 to be an evade gap closer, and then swap dagger 3 with axe 3, changing its additional effect to heal the necro for each boon it corrupts, dagger 4 to be another evade and gap closer, and dagger 5 to become unholy burst, dealing additional damage for each boon it corrupts. I'd change staff to be a support weapon, slight changes to scepter specifically moving the boon corrupt to scepter 3 and boosting its auto, change focus to be a defensive off-hand by giving it a block. Finally, I'd add boon corrupt to all weapons that don't have it (even espec weapons both current and future). Boon corruption will be limited to weapons/traits.

For traits, I'd make spite focus on high risk/high reward, giving the necromancer damage bonuses when they're low on hp. Signet trait now reads: Reduces recharge on signet skills. Signets skills grant might when cast and causes your next few attacks to corrupt boons. I'd make soul reaping a utility trait for the necro focusing on improving shroud and shroud skills along with lf gain. I'd improve blood magic trait by focusing on group siphoning, applying life siphon buffs to allies. I'd change death magic minors to revolve around a gimmick trait: Living Flesh – Your first attack when entering combat summons a shambling horror. This ability is refreshed by nearby deaths. (limited to having 1 at a time). Curses will now focus on applying the corruption condition on removing/corrupting boons, and improving conditions. All traits now have an enter/exit shroud trait that fits the flavor of the trait line they're in.

For reaper:I'd give it a land spear and make all staff scythe skins spear skins, and give them and their shroud a block. Since rise is now a minor minor trait in dm, I'd change it to There is no Escape! – Gain swiftness and immobilize nearby foes. Loose a movement impairing condition for each foe struck. 30 (¼). p.s. reaper shroud now uses a gs =)

For scourge;I'd make sand shades function more like ventari's tablet, pulsing a heal on the affected area which will count as shroud skill 1, other shade skills will no longer proc a shroud skill 1 on use, sand shroud makes you a shade, pulsing the skill 1 heal skill around you and allowing shade skills to proc at your location, at the cost of increasing the lf cost of shade skills and loosing lf whenever you pulse healing. I'd change punishment skills by removing the boon corrupt and have them focus more on group support/utility and have additional effects if they are used in an area that has a sand shade on it. I'd change torch to give the desert oasis boon, and focus on burning.

editforgot to add, shroud now functions like ca; i.e it is not a 2nd hp bar and allows you to have access to your utilities while in it.

edit again: spell check is needed.