Low FPS / Lag Issues [MERGED]

anyone still having high lag and load times for wp's on the pof maps? its so bad at times my mounts dont load and the maps arent filled in. very frustrating when you are trying to follow a leggy squad to get elegy mosaics for a Flames of War legendary torch, this is gonna take months at 2 or 3 per pop camping the same leggy mob for weeks on end :( Is 3 to 5 mins to load from Elon Riverlands to Oasis to long? by the time i get there the mob is dead :( also i have No probs with any of the other maps but the POF ones, central tyria and HoT maps work fine

I play with settings on low, except player textures, and native sampling. But whats funny is if i go to the most of the old maps from the core game, my fps is like 50-80. Which it will dip during events and stuff as expected but its still visually tolerable. but in pof areas, its like 15-32 and in the single digits during bounties (which i could write a whole page on the ridiculousness of spell spam on bounites and events..), & certain areas with alot of architecture or in the new windswept guild hall. I thought maybe its because less people are on the old world maps. Or they just haven't updated the hardware for the pof servers to handle the load? Although my video cards are like 9 years old, I still have a new 256gb samsung SSD and a 2.8 oc'd to 3.2ghz i7 930 cpu and 12gb ram on win10. I havent had a problem til hot and pof xpacs. And wow, swtor, eq2, blade&soul, was fine last time i played them a year or so ago.

I made maps using the unreal engine/UED as a hobby back in the early 2000s for unreal tournament 2k* games and there was a little trick you could do that would put an invisible wall up basically, between really open areas or areas that had a lot of animated textures, static meshes, mountains, or just clutter. And it sorta obscured stuff further behind it from your video card having to render it all in the scene. Ive always wondered if mmos utilized similar things in their map editing software. Sometimes you can notice this if you go in a far corner away from everything (like the edge of a map) and look away from the center of the area (into nothingness..) and if you have your options window open you'll see your fps go really high when you look away and go back down when you look back towards the map. This works if you look up at the sky or down at the ground too while zoomed in 1st person if you dont have your settings on ultra. Also if the game crashes, the Guild Wars Game Client will not end in the task manager, and I cant force End it. It usually takes it 5-10 mins to close on its own, or I will reboot, which is quicker to get back in the game. Which sucks keeping people waiting on you, or missing out on a bounty or something because I can get back in quick enough. All threads I find on this subject are dead ends/redundant and unresolved.

I have this problem too, but not only in PoF, but also in HoT. The only thing that helps is shutting down my computer and restart. Then everything works fine. So I think it has something to do with Windows or display driver and not with GW itself, because it only recently started. Still, it would be nice that someone of Arenanet could confirm this problem and suggest a possible solution...

Config: i7 - 5960XGeforce GTX98032GB RAM

Just random $0.02 but it seems everyone in the thread is running an Intel CPU and Micro$oft just rolled out the OS patches for the two specter vulnerabilities and the meltdown vulnerability effecting Intel CPU's at the hardware level, along side the last roll-outs of the fall creators update for windows 10. Why do I feel this has something to do with Micro$ofts mess up.

Are you guys having these issues in other games as well or just in GW2?

Hi All,

Just started playing GW2 again.I remember when i played when the game Launched back when i was young.. MY PC ran GW2 Horrible.

But now i have.:GTX 970 with 4GB.Intel Core i5-4590 @3.30GHz.

I can Play WoW, ESO, BDO almost every game i know on Ultra Settings.But when playing GW2 on "Best Appearance" i get like 30 FPS and when i look around with my mouse it lags in a odd way.Like the game is lagging?... and i havent tried that for +2 Years in any game.

SO can anyone tell me why this game runs so bad on my PC?I feel a bit lost over paid 49.99€ for an expansion that runs terrible on my PC :angry: :-1:

Hope any 1 can clear my head :anguished:

Best RegardsStefan Rumle

hi. having issue about random massive fps drops. its same map and same character but the difference is "I had to restart the game client after the fps drop". this issue happens me after january 9th update before that everything was smooth. playing on asus x550vx laptop. intel i7-6700HQ, 16gb ram, nvidia geforce gtx 950m. got latest windows 10 update and all drivers updated.

edit: it started to happpen since january 9th update. never had this before. playing gw2 on same computer almost a year. geographical location: eastern europe and game world is desolation.

https://imgur.com/a/TTbV3

@ArcanistSeven.8720 said:your not alone i got a gtx 1080 with a i7 67k i use to be able to run this game from 80-100 fps now i average 40-50fps with occasional fps drops down to 5-10fps that dont go away until i reset my client. i dont have this problem with any of my other games.

Same exact issues here. Used to run great, now it runs alright, but fps drop here and there till restart. Makes me pretty mad.

• ArenaNet Staff

Hey folks,

There were quite a few individual threads about FPS concerns. Whether you have a new PC or an old one, whether you just joined the game or have played for years and have noticed recent decreases in your FPS, it seems prudent to merge the threads into one and relay a request internally for someone to take a look. I know that merging sometimes somewhat "garbles" the conversation, but this is an important issue, and the breadth of reports in a single merged thread only helps to emphasize your concerns. So I hope you'll be ok with the merge, and of course if other players have issues with FPS, please add them here.

NOW... having said that, I believe that it would be super helpful for you to tell the team a few things:

1. When did this issue first start?
  2. Has it been consistent across time, or has it become worse lately? Or has it come and gone (been intermittent) over time?
  3. What is your general geographical location?
  4. On what game world are you playing?

If you can edit your posts in this thread, or post a new one in this thread with more information, we'd really appreciate it!

Thanks so much!

The sudden FPS drop to a solid 30FPS can happen anytime any map, any instance.. this has been happening from my own experience since the around the time the Microsoft Fall update hit. I am not convinced that is the issue but something has definitely been happening within the game ever since.. irrespective of what graphics settings are used.

I always set my system to Win Fullscreen with frame limiter to 60/vsync on and have always got a pretty stable 60fps.This issue instantly drops the fps randomly down to 30fps but fixes itself back to 60FPS after either ALT-TAB to desktop or going to graphics setting in game and switching to Window, then back to Windowed fullscreen.. however I am finding this issue is manifesting itself more often now.. almost as if a 3 way WvWvW zergfest is exploding around the map... which tends to lead me to think its actually something going on in game causing the issue not our gpu's or their respective drivers/OP sys etc.

Running a gtx 1070 here. In sPvP maps, i get good fps around 60+, but all the new maps from PoF are ridiculous down to 30 and less due to "lag" spikes. HoT maps I get around 40ish, and most of the vanilla maps run fine. Just seems the new maps are not optimized well.

EDIT answering Gaile's questions . . .

1. When did this issue first start? After each XPAC, HoT fps went down a little, PoF is worse.
  2. Has it been consistent across time, or has it become worse lately? Or has it come and gone (been intermittent) over time? Not intermittent. Newer maps run much worse than older, even with better hardware. Lowering graphics settings does not help much.
  3. What is your general geographical location? Central US, but it does not seem to be a latency issue, but more so a graphics processing issue.
  4. On what game world are you playing? Vanilla maps run fine for the most part. HoT maps run a little bit worse, with PoF maps being the worse in terms of FPS.

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:Hey folks,

There were quite a few individual threads about FPS concerns. Whether you have a new PC or an old one, whether you just joined the game or have played for years and have noticed recent decreases in your FPS, it seems prudent to merge the threads into one and relay a request internally for someone to take a look. I know that merging sometimes somewhat "garbles" the conversation, but this is an important issue, and the breadth of reports in a single merged thread only helps to emphasize your concerns. So I hope you'll be ok with the merge, and of course if other players have issues with FPS, please add them here.

NOW... having said that, I believe that it would be super helpful for you to tell the team a few things:

1. When did this issue first start?
  2. Has it been consistent across time, or has it become worse lately? Or has it come and gone (been intermittent) over time?
  3. What is your general geographical location?
  4. On what game world are you playing?

If you can edit your posts in this thread, or post a new one in this thread with more information, we'd really appreciate it!

Thanks so much!

1. The issue is present as long as i can remember.
  2. It can happen at any time, but I notice it the most when going to the PvP lobby, when my FPS drops to 2-5
  3. Middle Europe
  4. If you mean server, Underworld

I've found a temporary fix for the issue, when FPS drops, I change the "shaders" setting to any other option, and it immediately returns to 60 FPS... But I don't get why that helps . - .

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:It may be more helpful to list the IP address of the map you are in when experiencing issues, rather than the name, as there may be more than one instance of a map.

Good luck.

As I said.. any map, any instance its an issue either within the game as a whole or with something external affecting the game.. personally I am of the mind its in game.. its been talked about in various threads over the last few months.

Dear Arenanet,

I've been getting massive fps drops and ping upspikes every now and then when I play WvW.My fps in a stable state gets up to 100+-, but 3-5 when I get a drop. Ping goes from 40 to 400+. This stays for like 5 minuts, and gets back again 10 minutes later.I tried finding the golden solution on this forum but haven't found it yet. Could you please help me with this because the game is unplayable.

My pc specs:Operating system: Windows 10 pro 64-bitMotherboard: Asus Z170 Pro GamingProcessor: Intel 6700k @ 4GhzGraphic Card: MSI 1080 Gaming X 8GRAM1: 2x 8GB Corsair LPX 3200mhzSSD1: Corsair Force GT 120GBSSD2: Crucial BX100 250GBPSU: Coolermaster 650W GX V2Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z LED 24'' 144 HzHeadset: CM Storm Sirus 5.1 SurroundKeyboard: Corsair Strafe Mech.Mouse: Zowie EC1-A

It can't be the CPU either since it can reach a stable 100 fps for a while before it drops.I turned of all the overlay programs on the background.Updated all the drivers.

I would be very thankfull if you could help me solve this problem.

Kind regards,

Degray Gamerplant

1. When did this issue first start?I just downloaded the game again, so for me, for ever.And i started playing like 1 week ago.

2. Has it been consistent across time, or has it become worse lately? Or has it come and gone (been intermittent) over time?Constant low fps in the new maps.

3. What is your general geographical location?Scandinavien.

4. On what game world are you playing?Cant remember server..

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:Hey folks,

Can you please look at this thread and this one (about the Mac 64-bit client) and see if the solution the OP used is helpful to you, as well?

I don't actually see a solution on the Mac thread, except for 'turn down all settings' which is kind of obvious.

Re the other thread: Checked my Energy Saver settings and there are no performance settings to change, just sleep settings. (Mac Yosemite 10.10.5) On the up side, I noticed there was a checkbox about putting hard disks to sleep, which might explain the issues my SSD external drive (with GW2 installed) is having when I leave it plugged in unused. I will have to see if unchecking that box solves this extremely frustrating problem. Thanks!EDIT: Nope, disk is still not responding and has to be force-ejected if I leave it connected. Too bad.