Achievement Points seem stuck

I was under the impression that for doing dailies, we get 10 AP per day? I have noticed that for a while now, my AP points shows 10 in the Hero panel, but its not adding to the total score. Is anyone else having this or is this a bug. I have been stuck on same points now and have done dailies, received the daily achievement chest, and as discussed the 10 points are indicated, but not always.

Wrong by A-Net to put a cap for doing Daily. Yeah, you still get the 2g. feels like there is no reason to keep on doing Daily anymore, they keep destroying the game from week to week. There is something to aim for when doing Daily to get the AP from it, to reach to the nest chest that comes along with it.Feels pointless atm to do dailys, Great job A-Net

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:It's about time they do something to inform people about the cap in-game. It's been years now, and posts like these pop up ever so often because it's completely unclear what's happening.

Oh, what's happening is perfectly clear. It's WHY it's happening that is the problem.

And, yes, you are exactly correct. I simply cannot understand why ANet will not speak to this subject.

@"Bronco.4857" said:Wrong by A-Net to put a cap for doing Daily.

No, it was wrong for them to add daily tasks to the "achievement point" totals in the first place. Logging in and viewing a vista and using gathering nodes are NOT achievements...and there is no need to "reward" players with extra points for that.However, Anet thought it would be a good idea to let players do mind-numbingly simple daily tasks AND count that towards total achievement points.They did it so players could get some of the higher AP skins faster. They also capped it, likely because dailies are NOT achievements and because it would help control the gap between veteran and new players.

@Ubi.4136 said:

@"Bronco.4857" said:Wrong by A-Net to put a cap for doing Daily.

No, it was wrong for them to add daily tasks to the "achievement point" totals in the first place. Logging in and viewing a vista and using gathering nodes are NOT achievements...and there is no need to "reward" players with extra points for that.However, Anet thought it would be a good idea to let players do mind-numbingly simple daily tasks AND count that towards total achievement points.They did it so players could get some of the higher AP skins faster. They also capped it, likely because dailies are NOT achievements and because it would help control the gap between veteran and new players.

Im a veteran player, and i dont like to Achi hunt like a numbnut. i have been on since release, they should consider that in any case, Reward veteran players, and thats not what they do.what you call veteran players, could also be called achi hunters. that reward Points, but not all of us veteran players do that, ever thought about that?

@Bronco.4857 said:Wrong by A-Net to put a cap for doing Daily. Yeah, you still get the 2g. feels like there is no reason to keep on doing Daily anymore, they keep destroying the game from week to week. There is something to aim for when doing Daily to get the AP from it, to reach to the nest chest that comes along with it.Feels pointless atm to do dailys, Great job A-Net

Why is it wrong? Every other achievement has a cap. Why should this one be different?

@Daddicus.6128 said:

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:It's about time they do something to inform people about the cap in-game. It's been years now, and posts like these pop up ever so often because it's completely unclear what's happening.

Oh, what's happening is perfectly clear. It's WHY it's happening that is the problem.

And, yes, you are exactly correct. I simply cannot understand why ANet will not speak to this subject.

Why? Because it's simply unfair that new players would never have a chance to catch up to older players in terms of AP, it's bad enough that there's still no way to recoup Season one AP. Imagine if someone could stay ahead of the AP leaderboards simply by logging in ad eternum.

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

Why? Because it's simply unfair that new players would never have a chance to catch up to older players in terms of AP, it's bad enough that there's still no way to recoup Season one AP. Imagine if someone could stay ahead of the AP leaderboards simply by logging in ad eternum.

So, your solution is to penalize the most loyal players?

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

Umm, why should new players ever be able to catch up? I'm pretty sure most people who start something late, realize that they just might have missed out on something and may never be able to fully catch up.

They added the cap at least partially because some of the hard-core achievement hunters kept asking for it. They'd been going out of their way to do the dailies every single day they possibly could, worried that if they missed a day or two they'd fall behind the other hardcore achievement hunters and never be able to catch up. Apparently that was extremely stressful, and people kept asking for a 'fix' that would enable them to stop doing dailies after a while. The cap was Anet's answer to that.

@Daddicus.6128 said:

So, your solution is to penalize the most loyal players?It is not a penalty

The cap is just a fix for a problem ANet themselves created: granting AP through dailies and monthlies.Achievements and dailies/monthlies should always been two separate concepts with different rewards. They should also have avoided any temporary, non-returning content counting towards total AP (they could have introduced temporary achievements rewarding zero AP but a decent amount of content specific currency) and be more serious with retired achievements.You cannot expect players to be flawless machines that log every day and complete their dailies, that never go on vacation or miss a few days for whatever reason. And once you lose several tenths of APs for missing days, and since you know for sure you'll be losing a lor more in the future, what's the motivation to go after that overcamplicated or overexpensive achievement? By merging the achievement system, which is a completionist thing, with an unlimited daily system, which is a completely different beast which rewards long term regular play, you slap completionists and end up losing customers.The problem now is that it went that way for so long and the cap is so high, that the AP track became the veteran/daily track for too many people, who eventually met the cap and get (obviously) pissed off. It should have never been this way.

Interesting facts, and thanks to all for the responses. I do realise that unless I am trying to do an achievement, I will not get rewarded even if I do my dailies. I am just shy of 29k AP points so have done many monthlies, dailies, stories etc to get the points. The fact is that new players that have PoF have a distinct advantage over non PoF players, as mounts can jump up and go places no mesmer has gone before (That path is invalid). I see where this game has gone, and it has become really negative to play. New players can never catch up to the veteran players, that's a simple fact, AP points means rewards and nothing else. I log on religiously to do dailies every day, which are actually meaningless, including the daily fracs. Thank you Anet for taking the pressure off you're game, it means I don't have to care or log in to play as often as I did, what a relief, that's taken a load off my shoulders. I did daily tasks, daily fracs, daily WvW, so much time for nothing, thanks once again, phew!!

It is unfortunate that they chose this solution for a problem that had more to do with player perspective than the game itself, but it is nice to know that on the days that I don't feel like doing my dailies I haven't actually missed out on anything. Though I'm not sure how that can offset the feeling I'll have on the days when I do my dailies after I reach the cap, knowing I'm being rewarded less than other players who are participating in the exact same activities . . .

The broader problem is that once a player has reached the cap, continued progress along the reward track stalls, with new opportunities for ap too infrequent and unrewarding to maintain momentum. An interminable track needs an interminable way of progressing that track . . .

@"Gop.8713" said:It is unfortunate that they chose this solution for a problem that had more to do with player perspective than the game itself, but it is nice to know that on the days that I don't feel like doing my dailies I haven't actually missed out on anything. Though I'm not sure how that can offset the feeling I'll have on the days when I do my dailies after I reach the cap, knowing I'm being rewarded less than other players who are participating in the exact same activities . . .

The broader problem is that once a player has reached the cap, continued progress along the reward track stalls, with new opportunities for ap too infrequent and unrewarding to maintain momentum. An interminable track needs an interminable way of progressing that track . . .

It's really exactly the same as you see that "Agent of Entropy" pop up regularly when you salvage stuff, but you're not getting AP for it any more. There is no unlimited repeatable source of AP in the game, anything that can grant AP again and again has a max it can grant. For Daily Achiever it's just a bit more convoluted to see how much that is.

Edit: I do agree that the flow of AP available has reduced remarkably - comparing AP values of LS1 achievements with HoT/LS3/PoF achievements is pretty jarring.

@Gop.8713 said:Knowing I'm being rewarded less than other players who are participating in the exact same activities . . .

Let's get this perfectly straight, you are NOT being rewarded less than another player who has not reached the cap, you have already earned the maximum AP for the daily. That. Is. IT.Every player is capped at 15,000AP for Daily and Monthly combined, and every player can earn the Reward chests/2g from the Dailies regardless of the cap.

@"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:It's really exactly the same as you see that "Agent of Entropy" pop up regularly when you salvage stuff, but you're not getting AP for it any more. There is no unlimited repeatable source of AP in the game, anything that can grant AP again and again has a max it can grant. For Daily Achiever it's just a bit more convoluted to see how much that is.

I agree with the non-transparency of the cap like other Achievements such as you mentioning, Agent of Entropy, Hobby Dungeon Explorer etc.

Edit: I do agree that the flow of AP available has reduced remarkably - comparing AP values of LS1 achievements with HoT/LS3/PoF achievements is pretty jarring.

I also agree here, I made a few posts on the old forums about this when the Daily AP cap discussions are brought up, yet 'the daily AP keeps vets playing'. No, it doesn't regular and repeatable rewarding content keeps vets playing.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:I also agree here, I made a few posts on the old forums about this when the Daily AP cap discussions are brought up, yet 'the daily AP keeps vets playing'. No, it doesn't regular and repeatable rewarding content keeps vets playing.

AP kept me and some friends playing, we loved to grind out AP are part of our game play for some competition, now that some of us are capped, and some aren't, we have lost some of that interest, but its not all bad, it allowed us to go find other games to invest in =) so win win I guess, point is, don't try tell others what keeps them playing and what doesn't, just because you don't want to be an AP hunter doesn't mean others shouldn't,

Maybe Anet should have put an option in game,

Be capped at 15k daily, gain 2g per day from doing themDon't be capped at 15k, gain 0g from dailies but continue getting AP,

Which open do you think people would take.

@Ok I Did It.2854 said:AP kept me and some friends playing, we loved to grind out AP are part of our game play for some competition, now that some of us are capped, and some aren't, we have lost some of that interest, but its not all bad, it allowed us to go find other games to invest in =) so win win I guess, point is, don't try tell others what keeps them playing and what doesn't, just because you don't want to be an AP hunter doesn't mean others shouldn't,

I suppose enjoyment for some comes in competition, but Daily AP being capped doesn't stop that, unless you had earned absolutely every single AP in the game upto now. No? Ok then, your friends got bored, they most likely would have gotten bored regardless of the cap or not, given time.Every achievement has a cap in game. Why should the daily be different?

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

@"Gop.8713" said:It is unfortunate that they chose this solution for a problem that had more to do with player perspective than the game itself, but it is nice to know that on the days that I don't feel like doing my dailies I haven't actually missed out on anything. Though I'm not sure how that can offset the feeling I'll have on the days when I do my dailies after I reach the cap, knowing I'm being rewarded less than other players who are participating in the exact same activities . . .

It's really exactly the same as you see that "Agent of Entropy" pop up regularly when you salvage stuff, but you're not getting AP for it any more. There is no unlimited repeatable source of AP in the game, anything that can grant AP again and again has a max it can grant. For Daily Achiever it's just a bit more convoluted to see how much that is.

Agent of Entropy -- which was originally a limitless source of AP -- is different. It was capped exactly because it was limitless. You could just sit in LA and salvage your way to infinite AP. Daily AP before the cap was not limitless. It did not have a cap, but it was time-gated. So you could not make uninhibited progress along the reward track using daily AP, you could only get ten per day . . .

@Daddicus.6128 said:

Oh, what's happening is perfectly clear. It's WHY it's happening that is the problem.As you can see in the OP, it's not as clear as you might think. Not only there's no information about cap anywhere within the game, but the daily achievement popups still show that you've gained that 10 ap. For the repeatable achievements with a cap, the APs stop showing after you reach that cap, which does tell us something. In this case the most reasonable asumption is however the very one we see in this thread - that something got bugged.