Finally, is the AFK farm ok or not ?

Theros.1390

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:You don't know if they are afk. They can be just playing passively.

LOL--you say I say--- Tomatoes--doesn't make it right --semantics.

Passive play is allowed. It's part of game mechanics.

Yeah, and if some peoples are having fun by just watch their screen while their turrets/minion are killing adds, it's up to them I guess.

@Theros.1390 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:You don't know if they are afk. They can be just playing passively.

Yeah, and if some peoples are having fun by just watch their screen while their turrets/minion are killing adds, it's up to them I guess.

But some are out at mall or bar or cutting the lawn or whatever for hrs and even days. that's where reporting comes in and a GM pays a visit to see if the player is passively at the keyboard.

@Blude.6812 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

But some are out at mall or bar or cutting the lawn or whatever for hrs and even days. that's where reporting comes in and a GM pays a visit to see if the player is passively at the keyboard.

Yes, what you describe is AFK-farming. This is not allowed. Learn the difference.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

Yes, what you describe is AFK-farming. This is not allowed. Learn the difference.

The point he is making is that WE have no idea if they are watching TV or at the mall, so it is our job to report possible AFKers and it is the GMs' job to investigate.

• Like 2

@Theros.1390 said:

@"mtpelion.4562" said:

The point he is making is that WE have no idea if they are watching TV or at the mall, so it is our job to report possible AFKers and it is the GMs' job to investigate.

But which reason should we choose on the list to report AFK players ?

Use the "Botting" option. That's what Anet has told us to use when reporting AFK farmers.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

I know the difference, no need to be so aggressive. Geez

• Like 1

@mtpelion.4562 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

Actually it's not our job as we are not paid.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

Actually it's not our job as we are not paid.

If pedantry is required, then substitute "onus" as applicable.

• 5 months later...

@"KrivukasLT.3507" said:So, if you find bunch of peeps afk farming, then you report them for what? For botting ?

In game: botting, yes. (Goes to the same team as investigates any sort of 'hack' in the generic sense.)

Or if you have details (times, dates, screens), you can start a support ticket. In-game issueReport another player.

"Dudes, are you afk?" "Should I report you?"If they answer, they are ok. If they not, they may be truly not there, and your report would be on stronger grounds.Of course, you are not a GM, so you asking anything doesn't means they HAVE to say anything.

• 4 months later...

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:You've seen their computers with a weight attached? Not sure why anyone would do that, what with auto-attack and all.

Not a computer, but i "farmed" game hours in Super Smash brothers to unlock a character by rubber banding the control sticks together, so it would appear as if i was moving nonstop.

@"Powah.1672" said:People who managed to put preassure on "attack button" with some kind of weight and then leaves game as AFK Is that ok? Ive seen that...

All the questions of "is it ok" have been answered already. Here are the three critetia once again, as reposted several dozen times in threads like these, including this one:

**1. Using skill (1 or more) while AFK

1. AFKing in a place where it is beneficial for your character to be at
  2. Unresponsive to interaction with GMs**

If you put a weight on a key triggering a skill (like the skill1 "attack button") #1 applies: Your char is using a skillIf you are at a place where mobs keep spawning that drop loot, give xp, give you participation in an event or anything else beneficial for your char #2 appliesIf you are afk as in you are not there and will not see when a GM checks on you (be it that he whispers you or moves you to a different place) #3 applies.

So jamming a key on your keyboard for your char to attack mobs and then leaving your PC obviously falls in the not ok category.

Btw. here is a screenshot I took in ember bay at the most common necro farming spot where I farmed unbound magic and karma just 2 days ago (names, char models and guild tags removed). I was in group with one other who frequently stands there and took the picture after every char there was teleported to a different location one by one. You can see those who didn't notice right away still stand in the water, and there was one more char standing further away on the beach. This is not the first time this happened. So clearly, ArenaNet is actually doing something and checks if the people standing there are actually afk, or just lazy. You can also see if the char is using any skill once he is ported out of the blob of other chars and pets, and any char who is just standing there without using a skill will be fine even if the player is afk, because #1 does not apply when no skill is being used.

Imgur

@Shikigami.4013 said:

@"Powah.1672" said:People who managed to put preassure on "attack button" with some kind of weight and then leaves game as AFK Is that ok? Ive seen that...

All the questions of "is it ok" have been answered already. Here are the three critetia once again, as reposted several dozen times in threads like these, including this one:

**1. Using skill (1 or more) while AFK
  1. AFKing in a place where it is beneficial for your character to be at
  2. Unresponsive to interaction with GMs**

If you put a weight on a key triggering a skill (like the skill1 "attack button") #1 applies: Your char is using a skillIf you are at a place where mobs keep spawning that drop loot, give xp, give you participation in an event or anything else beneficial for your char #2 appliesIf you are afk as in you are not there and will not see when a GM checks on you (be it that he whispers you or moves you to a different place) #3 applies.

So jamming a key on your keyboard for your char to attack mobs and then leaving your PC obviously falls in the
not ok
category.

Btw. here is a screenshot I took in ember bay at the most common necro farming spot where I farmed unbound magic and karma just 2 days ago (names, char models and guild tags removed). I was in group with one other who frequently stands there and took the picture after every char there was teleported to a different location one by one. You can see those who didn't notice right away still stand in the water, and there was one more char standing further away on the beach. This is not the first time this happened. So clearly, ArenaNet is actually doing something and checks if the people standing there are actually afk, or just lazy. You can also see if the char is using any skill once he is ported out of the blob of other chars and pets, and any char who is just standing there without using a skill will be fine even if the player is afk, because #1 does not apply when no skill is being used.

Imgur

"You can also see if the char is using any skill once he is ported out of the blob of other chars and pets, and any char who is just standing there without using a skill will be fine even if the player is afk, because #1 does not apply when no skill is being used.".#2 should apply then, intentionally positioning yourself at an area where monsters spawn that your minions will attack = get loot

Do you know if Anet has stated why they are teleporting chars to begin with, is it to check if they are responsive or not. I received a 3 month suspension for missing a single dev message in chat scrollback while i was playing the game on minimalized screens, which means smaller interface , i saw my char being teleported real time and i moved my char away from there, minutes later the suspension was in effect. With no previous warnings or suspensions for afk farming.

@"TallBarr.2184" said:"You can also see if the char is using any skill once he is ported out of the blob of other chars and pets, and any char who is just standing there without using a skill will be fine even if the player is afk, because #1 does not apply when no skill is being used.".#2 should apply then, intentionally positioning yourself at an area where monsters spawn that your minions will attack = get lootThat is true but I don't understand why you are writing it. All three criteria have to apply for it to be against the rules. If only one criteria would need to apply, everyone using a skill in GW2 would act against the rules as #1 applies to him, or everyone going afk (even in town) would act against the rules as #3 would apply to him.

Do you know if Anet has stated why they are teleporting chars to begin with, is it to check if they are responsive or not. I received a 3 month suspension for missing a single dev message in chat scrollback while i was playing the game on minimalized screens, which means smaller interface , i saw my char being teleported real time and i moved my char away from there, minutes later the suspension was in effect. With no previous warnings or suspensions for afk farming.

No I don't know and to my knowledge they have never disclosed how exactly they are checking people and which actions are taken to do it. They may also do other things we don't see or know about, and they may have tools to see if a char is using skills or not (even without seeing them on screen). I have been checked several times now, and I always noticed being ported and went right back to where I was. I also once said "Thanks for checking" in say chat to let the GM know I appreciate them doing it, because I don't like cheaters who afk-farm. So far, this always seems to have been enough action on my side, I was not yet whispered for closer inspection :)

I do not understand what "playing on a minimalized screen" is supposed to be though, and why you saw being moved but did not see being whispered. The interface has only 4 size settings, 2 bigger than normal and 1 smaller than normal. Even with small setting it is impossible to make the interface so small that you would become unable to see a message.

@"hugo.4705" said:Really easy way to spot guys using macros /afk:-for necros: respawn every minion in same time / same with turrets for engineers.-only using skill 1 even in void without ennemies.-tagging multiple ennemies like 1 per minion

Your ways of "spotting" are total nonsense.-Minions do not expire and do not need to be recast unless killed, so they never are "respawned in the same time"-Using only skill 1 could just mean someone is too lazy to make a char with which farming is easier than to keep key 1 pressed down on your keyboard It does not prove botting, macroing, or even being afk. It is just one more baseless accusation and horrible advice to "check" or prove afk/botting-You cannot tag enemies per minion and noone does that. All minions attack the same target. You make zero sense here

The only halfway accurate indication of someone using a macro or bot is when engi turrets expire and every time are recast with the exact same interval. However, even this "spot" advice is completely pointless because to check this you would have to spend ages watching the engi, and you would not even know which turrets belong to which char.