• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've installed the 64 bit mac client thingie now to try it out. Maybe I've done something wrong, but it is way, way, way worse than the absolutely broken wrapper client. Standing in Divinity's Reach is like watching a slide show. What I did was install the new client and change my bar shortcut to the new one and launch. Seemed like this would be correct, but maybe not? Also, I should add that these specs, while getting a bit old, work fine on high settings in bootcamp.

MacOS High Sierra v10.13.2iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)3,4 GHz Intel Core i516 GB 1600 MHz DDR3NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2 GB

@ananda.5946 said:I've installed the 64 bit mac client thingie now to try it out. Maybe I've done something wrong, but it is way, way, way worse than the absolutely broken wrapper client. Standing in Divinity's Reach is like watching a slide show. What I did was install the new client and change my bar shortcut to the new one and launch. Seemed like this would be correct, but maybe not? Also, I should add that these specs, while getting a bit old, work fine on high settings in bootcamp.

MacOS High Sierra v10.13.2iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)3,4 GHz Intel Core i516 GB 1600 MHz DDR3NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2 GB

I have the same spec's except I have 4 GB on the GPU card and have the game installed on an external USB 3.0 SSD. I normally get 35 - 45 FPS outside cities and In the cities I get 25 - 35, but occasionally it will drop in the low teens(or lower) for no reason at all. Also when I enter a new area it sometimes will take a minute or two to become playable.

@Supercluster.7159 said:

@ananda.5946 said:I've installed the 64 bit mac client thingie now to try it out. Maybe I've done something wrong, but it is way, way, way worse than the absolutely broken wrapper client. Standing in Divinity's Reach is like watching a slide show. What I did was install the new client and change my bar shortcut to the new one and launch. Seemed like this would be correct, but maybe not? Also, I should add that these specs, while getting a bit old, work fine on high settings in bootcamp.

I have the same spec's except I have 4 GB on the GPU card and have the game installed on an external USB 3.0 SSD. I normally get 35 - 45 FPS outside cities and In the cities I get 25 - 35, but occasionally it will drop in the low teens(or lower) for no reason at all. Also when I enter a new area it sometimes will take a minute or two to become playable.

Interesting. I wonder if I've done something wrong or need to completely reinstall the game or something? Waiting doesn't help the issue. Thirty minutes later, I still have the same slide show effect. My husband has a brand new iMac with the best graphic card they had available and has performance similar to mine with the Mac Client. Both of us would obviously love to be able to use the macOS version rather than bootcamp.

Any advice?

Interesting. I wonder if I've done something wrong or need to completely reinstall the game or something? Waiting doesn't help the issue. Thirty minutes later, I still have the same slide show effect. My husband has a brand new iMac with the best graphic card they had available and has performance similar to mine with the Mac Client. Both of us would obviously love to be able to use the macOS version rather than bootcamp.

Any advice?

I really don't know why my setup works OK(most of the time) because I see others like you that have similar specs and are having a terrible time. It's frustrating not knowing why some people have good performance and others with the similar specs are having terrible performance. Now I do believe I should be getting much better performance with these specs based on what the Windows people are getting with similar specs. Hopefully Anet is still working on optimizing the Mac 64 client and we all see better performance in the future.

Very annoying: After 3 hours in WvW when I solo roam into a camp, the NPCs seem to stay on their positions while their real position changes as I attack them. I have to guess where they really are, I can see only the damage numbers where they should be, but their character model stays on the standard position.

Using an old iMac late 2009 with 12Gb ram

@DrMORO.4627 said:In any case, although depending on your Mac mini, USB port is not the fastest, unless you are sure you have USB 3.0 like the latest Mac mini. The older USB 2.0 is even slower and no suitable for SSD usage. For speed, at least USB 3.0, better USB 3.1, even better would be Thunderbolt 2, and for the latest the speediest would be Thunderbolt 3 connections, I presume.

BTW, I am running a bit behind so apologies in advance if someone has said this already. Anyway, my boot & game is an external enterprise SSD via USB 3. Based on the tests I read it is roughly comparable to TB 2 (which is faster depends on what test and the faster one usually is not much faster). It would be no contest with TB 3 though.

@"DrMORO.4627" said:FYI, for those unhappy with even worse High Sierra's GW2 64-bit performance after upgrading Mac OS X.

"Video: How to downgrade from macOS High Sierra to Sierra"http://appleinsider.com/articles/18/01/29/video-how-to-downgrade-from-macos-high-sierra-to-sierra

Thanks, unfortunately I hope anet does not think it is a good long term solution. Mac users tend to upgrade often so at some point other software on people's systems will assume high sierra or better. It is not like the windows ecosystem where you still have to support xp or risk the wrath of angry customers.

Hello all, since it's been a little while I wanted to post an update:

• Performance issues on High Sierra are being investigated. We had some blockers that prevented us from investigating this, but they were resolved in the last week.
  • Performance issues (disk reads, I/O, shader hitching) are being investigated. Progress has been made, but we have yet to hone in on the specifics of what is causing this.
  • (@Sonicbug.7341 @Hawken.7932) Can you provide some more details on the locations of the texture flickering?

@"Ormawachi.8670" said:I would certainly be interested to see how this works in comparison to the other means available to us, but has anyone heard what the monthly cost of this service would be to play our "free" game after the beta??

Not sure the Geforce Now sub on Shield is $7.99 a month I'm assuming it would be more than this for the Mac version. But then you could also play all your steam games on it etc as well.

Thanks for the update Jon. The shader hitching recently seems to have become much worse than it's ever been for me (on latest High Sierra on a MBP with Radeon Pro 460), so it's nice to know this stuff is still being looked at. It used to be some hitching at first and then things would mostly settle down, but now it's much more frequent and the hitches are longer pauses.

Just ran across this today, playing Dragon Ball.

I can't set auto attack any more. Control + right-click does nothing.Not just in Dragon Ball — everywhere. Anyone else have this problem?(I haven't had reason to change/set auto attack until today with the Lunar New Year and Dragon Ball returning.)

I tried switching mice, switching maps, relaunching. Still nothing.

I think this is a Mac client issue, since I used to be able to set auto attack with the old 32-bit wine client.I recall setting auto attack all the time while playing Dragon Ball last year (not yet on the new Mac client).

Can anyone confirm or deny this issue? Or suggest a work-around?Thanks in advance.

@Jon Olson.8439 said:

@Jon Olson.8439 Istan is a pretty reliable place to provoke the flickering. For example, to test this this morning, I just ported to Istan and immediately there is texture flickering right at the place where the docks meet the shore. There is a blend (a projection decal perhaps) where the sand blends up onto the wood of the docks, between the two pillars. That sand flickers.