Should there be a GW 3? - [Merged]

Cyrin.1035

Personally I think they should, at first I'd be very against it just like I was against Guild Wars 2 when Guild Wars 1 was my primary game, but to see all the lore come back and all the new mechanics and features is really great. I'd love to see all the new features that a new game engine would have on the game.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@TwilightSoul.9048 said:

@MikeL.8260 said:It's a no brainer, it's the natural evolution, personally I expect one last expansion before GW3 is announced.

No it isn't WoW is doing great without a WoW2 and if you compare WoW graphics to GW2 Grafics I don't really see why so many people here talk about graphics as a reason for a GW3...

I personally absolutely hate this motivation of many companies to just produce new games / consoles as fast as possible - that doesn't make anything good... But since there are people who buy a new Smartphone every year and every single new console whenever there is one and every single Fifa game I can tell where the idea of GW3 is coming from. This consumer madness is ruining every single aspect of quality and user friendlyness and I hope ANet will not give in to that madness. I, like many others, would not buy nor play a GW3 for various reasons.I've already stopped buying consoles, the last console I bought was the PlayStation 2 - I've been buying Pokemon games up until Sun/Moon and I regret every purchase after Diamond/Pearl and will not buy any more Pokemon games. I'm not buying anything from EA anymore, for rather obvious reasons and I encourage everyone else to do the same. And I have bought 1 Smartphone in my entire life and it still serves me well, if it ever breaks I will buy the same Smartphone again.

What I'm trying to say here is: just because something is new doesn't mean it's better and just because there is more of something doesn't mean any of it is actually good.

Everyone who wants to see GW3 probably has a very twisted view of reality... Yes the graphics will probably improve, maybe the engine will run better but does that make a good game? No, graphics and how well a game runs don't matter in the first place, if the gameplay and story aren't gripping then everything else won't save the game. And when it comes to gameplay and story you will find that Companies which just pump out game after game usually produce kitten quality gameplay & story or just reiterations of previous games of the series with very little change while indie companies usually have incredibly detailed stories with innovative gameplay. Is it because they're more talented? Maybe but most likely it's because they focus all their attention to making that one game amazing instead of trying to produce as many games as possible.

So please ANet, take good care of GW2 and don't waste a single thought on GW3!

Does this mean that you consider making gw2 to be a mistake?

Producing a new product years after the old, when new heights are possible due to the increasing capabilities of the tech used is a perfectly reasonable thing in my opinion. I certainly am not attempting to use a TRS80 computer (and I notice that you mention owning a PS2 not a PS, or NES, or Atari 2600).

Hell, I think the time is now.The story is convoluted and makes no sense to new players, the professions are horribly-designed and very imbalanced, the engine is really not aging well, and the game and expansions are continuously selling worse and worse because of all of the above.

Honestly, even simply just deleting all the busted elite specs would help a lot.

ANet needs a hard reset because it's pretty obvious they're sinking this ship and can't figure out a way to right it as it stands.

@Ashen.2907 said:

@MikeL.8260 said:It's a no brainer, it's the natural evolution, personally I expect one last expansion before GW3 is announced.

No it isn't WoW is doing great without a WoW2 and if you compare WoW graphics to GW2 Grafics I don't really see why so many people here talk about graphics as a reason for a GW3...

I personally absolutely hate this motivation of many companies to just produce new games / consoles as fast as possible - that doesn't make anything good... But since there are people who buy a new Smartphone every year and every single new console whenever there is one and every single Fifa game I can tell where the idea of GW3 is coming from. This consumer madness is ruining every single aspect of quality and user friendlyness and I hope ANet will not give in to that madness. I, like many others, would not buy nor play a GW3 for various reasons.I've already stopped buying consoles, the last console I bought was the PlayStation 2 - I've been buying Pokemon games up until Sun/Moon and I regret every purchase after Diamond/Pearl and will not buy any more Pokemon games. I'm not buying anything from EA anymore, for rather obvious reasons and I encourage everyone else to do the same. And I have bought 1 Smartphone in my entire life and it still serves me well, if it ever breaks I will buy the same Smartphone again.

What I'm trying to say here is: just because something is new doesn't mean it's better and just because there is more of something doesn't mean any of it is actually good.

Everyone who wants to see GW3 probably has a very twisted view of reality... Yes the graphics will probably improve, maybe the engine will run better but does that make a good game? No, graphics and how well a game runs don't matter in the first place, if the gameplay and story aren't gripping then everything else won't save the game. And when it comes to gameplay and story you will find that Companies which just pump out game after game usually produce kitten quality gameplay & story or just reiterations of previous games of the series with very little change while indie companies usually have incredibly detailed stories with innovative gameplay. Is it because they're more talented? Maybe but most likely it's because they focus all their attention to making that one game amazing instead of trying to produce as many games as possible.

Producing a new product years after the old, when new heights are possible due to the increasing capabilities of the tech used is a perfectly reasonable thing in my opinion. I certainly am not attempting to use a TRS80 computer (and I notice that you mention owning a PS2 not a PS, or NES, or Atari 2600).

Yes and no, I haven't played Guild Wars but as far as I know it was very very different as far as gameplay goes from GW2 so I think GW2 was a good step. If we think about GW3, what do you imagine would change from GW2 to GW3? Better graphics, better engine, and? It'd most likely be pretty much the same type of gameplay as GW2 already offers so why not polish the GW2 engine and graphics over time (as WoW has done in the past too) and keep releasing content?There is no point in making a new game just for better graphics and engine except greed. We as players gain nothing except a more spread out fanbase - many GW2 players would stick with GW2, and many GW players aren't playing GW2 and will not play GW3 either - sure you attract new players, but if you kick your veterans in the guts every 6 years that'll probably cost you.

WoW is still successful because it's still WoW and even though many have quit WoW, a lot of them still come back after a few years because it's still there and there's still new stuff every then and now, if they'd release a WoW2 that'd mean they'd have to quit developing WoW and then they'd start loosing precious fans.

Two thoughts.I'd like to see GW3 only if they reworked the professions and went back to builds. I thought dual professions was a defining feature of Guild Wars. Guild Wars 2 has felt like MMO Light since release. The change made a game that was easier to run and manage just sadly less fun. So basically it was an improvement for Anet and not the player base.

Secondly I'd pay full price for Guild Wars 1 revamped with jumping, Trading Post and (ugh) Gem Store. I miss Pre, Droks runs, Black Dyes and Heros. Yes, yes there would be complications - shut up - I'm just saying. There would be a market for new players to go back and work on GW1 titles. Anyway just my thoughts.

@"TwilightSoul.9048" said:

Yes and no, I haven't played Guild Wars but as far as I know it was very very different as far as gameplay goes from GW2 so I think GW2 was a good step.

What? You've made a blind assumption. It's my belief that the most important parts of gameplay were left behind. We disagree. I spent 7 years playing Guild Wars 1. I was not hoping for "a new game just like the old game". But what we got was a watered down version of Guild Wars, with jumping and a Gem Store. If you have any doubts, I ask you how'd you do in your last GvG match?

Has there been a WoW 2? Great I'm glad we established this. About the only reason to do a "3" is to expand the engine because there was more demand the game needed (art or technical requirements for game play). Narrative stuff can just be handled with expansions or w.e.

Also maintaining two MMOs sounds like a bad idea.

@Zet.9130 said:

@"TwilightSoul.9048" said:

Yes and no, I haven't played Guild Wars but as far as I know it was very very different as far as gameplay goes from GW2 so I think GW2 was a good step.

What? You've made a blind assumption. It's my belief that the most important parts of gameplay were left behind. We disagree. I spent 7 years playing Guild Wars 1. I was not hoping for "a new game just like the old game". But what we got was a watered down version of Guild Wars, with jumping and a Gem Store. If you have any doubts, I ask you how'd you do in your last GvG match?

I didn't say anywhere that GW2 is better, I said it's a very different gameplay, it was a good step because they didn't just make a new version of an old game - they introduced something new. I would not be playing GW2 if it was the same as GW with only better graphics. GW2 isn't a "watered down version of Guild Wars", it's a different game - it was never supposed to be the same game just better, it was supposed to be something different and that is good. If it was the same as the originial Guild Wars then they should've just released a new expansion for GW. I feel like you only read that one line of my entire post.

I only played GW2 because I like GW1 a lot and the new engine looked nice. But I was bored from the combat mechanics(the weapon sets and limits the skills) since the beta and so I quit.Also the firearms did not fit well into the game. The primary quest with the salad general also ruined the immersion (he sucks like those new marvel "heros").Good side quests are all nice but when there are no armor parts to collect but just those fixed shop sets, there is lack of motivation to collect stuff.I understand that they need to make the clothes to fit for the Salad people, genocidal cats etc.

Also I started GW1 with Cantha and was hoping that it would appear in GW2 on a similar time scale.... god was I wrong. And

@TwilightSoul.9048 said:

Yes and no, I haven't played Guild Wars but as far as I know it was very very different as far as gameplay goes from GW2 so I think GW2 was a good step. If we think about GW3, what do you imagine would change from GW2 to GW3? Better graphics, better engine, and? It'd most likely be pretty much the same type of gameplay as GW2 already offers so why not polish the GW2 engine and graphics over time (as WoW has done in the past too) and keep releasing content?There is no point in making a new game just for better graphics and engine except greed. We as players gain nothing except a more spread out fanbase - many GW2 players would stick with GW2, and many GW players aren't playing GW2 and will not play GW3 either - sure you attract new players, but if you kick your veterans in the guts every 6 years that'll probably cost you.

WoW is still successful because it's still WoW and even though many have quit WoW, a lot of them still come back after a few years because it's still there and there's still new stuff every then and now, if they'd release a WoW2 that'd mean they'd have to quit developing WoW and then they'd start loosing precious fans.

To be honest I do not know what the gameplay differences between gw2 and a hypothetical gw3 should be. I do know that gw2 is still running on a version of the gw1 engine and that devs have indicated that this limits what they can reasonably do with the game

I think that change for its own sake is not necessarily a good thing, but then neither is refusing to embrace growth because it steps away from the status quo. I dont think that the franchise is ready for a new iteration, but I can see the gap between what is and what could be, with upgraded tools, growing.

The only realistic reason I could ever see for GW3 would be to improve the game engine - and I don't see that as a legitimate reason for shifting gears right now.

The shift from GW1 and GW2 made sense because GW1 was never actually an MMO. It was a coop game with a public in game lobby. GW2 is a fully fleshed out (and extremely well done) MMO. Not sure where you would go with a GW3.

Those whom are saying no, you have to understand something, there is very little more they can do with this game. It's a bad sign when HoT maps are more populated and PoF maps are empty. I think it's a tad bit hard to justify creating more expansions when the previous one's zones are practically empty. At this point Gw3 makes more sense than another expansion IMO.

@DeadlySynz.3471 said:Those whom are saying no, you have to understand something, there is very little more they can do with this game. It's a bad sign when HoT maps are more populated and PoF maps are empty. I think it's a tad bit hard to justify creating more expansions when the previous one's zones are practically empty. At this point Gw3 makes more sense than another expansion IMO.

Or y'know. A different genre. If they really wanted to tell a linear story...why not make a linear game?

There is no need for a sequel yet, unless they have some groundbreaking ideas not seen in other games. Something like WoW 2 could run on a much better engine, and have action based combat. As of now, there aren't any ideas I can think of GW2 could implement, other than a better engine, which doesn't seem worth it for the small upgrade.

it takes too much money to make and lots of time to develop a new game.

the main problem on GW2 is not being able to recycle the levels 1 to 79. All those locations are empty and new players don't like to play in a lonely world.

until they can solve this problem they should not invest more money on new games.

Gw2 had a great lunch due to the fan base and hipe.

Maybe with a tendency to no for GW3.

GW3 would be welcomed by me when:balance gets betterpersonal story gets made in a way that you can easy add races later on, maybe by transporting it in the open world.story in general gets betterinstanced content is gone outside of fractals. Fractals can stay to how what has happened in the past.dungeons become open world events like in DAOC.pvp is exclusive in wvw.wvw lets guilds build garisons on their own with their own ressources and a system where alliances mean something, maybe in a way that you simply cannot attack people you are allied with and you have to officially declare war on another guild to be able to take their stronghold. Roaming would still be allowed of course.hometown invasion becomes possible.maps evolve in the ls and new maps are added in expansions. Frozen in time is superlame.Guilds actually mean something.

If the majority of these things would come, I would want Anet to shut up and take my money. If not, I can very well live with GW2 in it´s current state until I finally find a game that satisfies my needs better.

@"Noa.7490" said:Of course they could make a sequel with a new engine with all the bells and whistles but I believe it would be a bad idea. From my point of view the transition from GW1 to GW2 wasn't at all what I expected and believed it should have been made better. I don't want to see the same thing happen again. Now look at the image below. This was a montage done back in the time of GW1 which showed just how little of Tyria we had explored. In GW2 we've explored less since the bottom portion is Cantha. There's plenty of lands we haven't explored yet, lands we've never seen, even in GW1 so if anything, this is the direction GW2 should take; expand, explore, polish.

TF9tejf.jpg

Yes I saw this image too a long time ago, I believe it was created at the start of GW2, which also added maps from Guild Wars Books into it. I'm hoping this map is something Guild Wars 3 will become. I think it's too big for Guild Wars 2 seeing the current maps we have now.

I would love a Guild Wars 3 when the time is right. Not any time soon of course, timing doesn't feel right. I'm guessing 1 other expansion in 2019 or 2020, and then I'm hoping for a Guild Wars 3 in 2022 at it's earliest, 2023 or later more likely. All speculation and dreams.

Normally I would say no, at least not for a long time but....the foundation coding of this game seems really bad? To the point where it apparently makes implementing a lot of features very difficult.

So I don't know. I don't want to start over though, it still looks great (one of the advantages of a stylized art style), it's got a good amount of classes and a system for adding more variation to each one and a fair ways to go story wise unless we mcguffin all the dragons at once which would be disappointing.