World Restructuring

Gaile Gray.6029

I'm convinced that this will be the final nail in the coffin for WvW, give it time for the larger guilds to poach all the players from any smaller guilds looking to remain a smaller tight-knit community in order to run their 4 map queues 24/7. Every other alliance that can't post the same numbers will just have to deal with it.

Players will as they have in the past manipulate their overall score to appear lower than their actual skill in order to allow for more players to flock to their alliance based on this:

@Raymond Lukes.6305 said:

@Rojay.1726 said:Wow....... So will there be a max to the amount of players in a specific world /Guild for seasons?

kind of....

There will be a max number of players in and Alliance but worlds will be balanced based on player score so the number of players is not fixed really but related to that score.

Moving forward, are their plans to diminish the impact of match manipulation through punishment of offenders?

• ArenaNet Staff

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Roxanne.6140 said:So exactly how are players being valuated? If someone were to run a support tank build and doesn't output as many numbers as a damage dealer, is this person going to the dumps for being unvaluable?

Players are mostly being evaluated with play hours. We are also looking into commander time and squad size, time of day, and participation levels.

Will there be a limit as to how many guilds are allowed in each alliance?

Yes. That number of guilds is still being determined but there will cap. It will also depend on the guilds size. For example an alliance might be able to have 5 small guilds before it is full, while another alliance might only be able to have 2 big guilds before it is full.

1, Can't wait for the new system!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!2, If a player isn't in a 'wvw guild' and the guild they're in isn't going to set itself as wvw, do we need to join another guild for it? (I assume so)3, Can all current player worlds be opened until the new system since none of what we're doing now is going to matter later? It would allow people to see who best fits with their upcoming alliance ;) Hey, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Instead of server stacking we'll get guild stacking. Perhaps skilled guild stacking. Instead of population imbalance, we'll have skill imbalance. I can't imagine a good guild wants to ally with a garbage guild... Waiting for a repeat of the 4 headed CD hydra, just in alliance form.

Wow anet... just wow... You just greenlighted this terrible Battlegroups concept. I am beyond disappointed and shocked. You just made WvW completely meaningless. I wonder how long it will take until everyone is running around in an EoTM style ktrain.

I no longer as a player can control what server I get to play and stay on, who I get to play with, when I get to play, how long I can play. I am now going to be "evaluated" to see if I am worthy enough? This is not even WvW anymore, this is randoms vs randoms.

How will people communicate when everyone is like this? Is every group supposed to be in a different comm? This will lead to a total break down in communication, coordination and teamwork of any kind.

I cant believe you are doing this anet, I am just shocked...

• ArenaNet Staff

@"Phlogistn.7893" said:I realize that many servers no longer feel they have an "identity". That is not, I feel, the case for Tarnished Coast and some other servers I know of. Some people have been on their server since day one, have friends across guilds and have a history. Although "something" needed to be done with WvW I am sad to think that all the people we play with here will be dispersed to the winds. Even stating they can be in an "alliance" with alliances changing from season to season, makes the continuity of community null. Baby, bathwater.....

F L Ö Guild Leader/Commander Valkyrja Söngur [ODIN], a Tarnished Coast Server Admin

Alliances don't change unless you change them. Alliances are groups of guilds that want to play together. They will be limited in size but will remain together as long as the members of the alliance want.

@McKenna Berdrow.2759 said:

@Roxanne.6140 said:So exactly how are players being valuated? If someone were to run a support tank build and doesn't output as many numbers as a damage dealer, is this person going to the dumps for being unvaluable?

Players are mostly being evaluated with play hours. We are also looking into commander time and squad size, time of day, and participation levels.

Will there be a limit as to how many guilds are allowed in each alliance?

Yes. That number of guilds is still being determined but there will cap. It will also depend on the guilds size. For example an alliance might be able to have 5 small guilds before it is full, while another alliance might only be able to have 2 big guilds before it is full.

Got it.

Would that be at the expense of individual players?

@McKenna Berdrow.2759 said:

Participation? This seems a bit odd since assaulting an objective is not considered to be participating in WvW. Only a successful capture is considered participating.

@"X T D.6458" said:Wow anet... just wow... You just greenlighted this pathetic Battlegroups concept. I am beyond disappointed and shocked. You just made WvW completely meaningless. I wonder how long it will take until everyone is running around in an EoTM style ktrain.

I no longer as a player can control what server I get to play and stay on, who I get to play with, when I get to play, how long I can play. I am now going to be "evaluated" to see if I am worthy enough? What kind of ridiculous nonsense is this? How in the world are you expecting to improve WvW like this? This is not even WvW anymore, this is randoms vs randoms.

How will people communicate when everyone like this? Is every group supposed to be in a different comm? This will lead to a total break down in communication, coordination and teamwork of any kind.

If you don't want to be randomly assigned to a world then Join a guild and don't be a BG random.

Considering that you can at a minimum take 500 players into your Alliance, you should be able to fit the bulk of any server community into your WvW Alliance and continue playing with them. You'll just need to have someone take the time to invite them to the same guild/alliance. And honestly if your community can't be bothered to hit the "accept" button, it probably isn't as tight a knit community as you think.

I think this is a great idea. Of course a number of people from BG will complain, but in general it is a much better system than we have today. Population balance and time zone balance is a big issue. Looking forward to this being implemented as soon as possible.

• ArenaNet Staff

@"zhonnika.1784" said:1, Can't wait for the new system!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!2, If a player isn't in a 'wvw guild' and the guild they're in isn't going to set itself as wvw, do we need to join another guild for it? (I assume so)

If you want to be sorted into the season with a "guild" then you will need join another guild that has set itself as a wvw guild. Otherwise you will be sorted onto a world individually.

3, Can all current player worlds be opened until the new system since none of what we're doing now is going to matter later? It would allow people to see who best fits with their upcoming alliance ;) Hey, it doesn't hurt to ask.

The current plan is to continue with what we have for now; continue with world linking and having locked worlds until World Restructuring is live.

Will there be some sort of individual player rankings as well as guilds ( like a leader board)? IF not , then how would you be able to determine if an alliance or particular world isn't going to end up with more knowledgeable players? Which isn't necessarily a bad thing but who ends up carrying the less knowledgeable players? How does the sorting work? Also, I didn't see anything about rewards for winners, will there be any?

@Endelon.1042 said:

@"X T D.6458" said:Wow anet... just wow... You just greenlighted this pathetic Battlegroups concept. I am beyond disappointed and shocked. You just made WvW completely meaningless. I wonder how long it will take until everyone is running around in an EoTM style ktrain.

I no longer as a player can control what server I get to play and stay on, who I get to play with, when I get to play, how long I can play. I am now going to be "evaluated" to see if I am worthy enough? What kind of ridiculous nonsense is this? How in the world are you expecting to improve WvW like this? This is not even WvW anymore, this is randoms vs randoms.

How will people communicate when everyone like this? Is every group supposed to be in a different comm? This will lead to a total break down in communication, coordination and teamwork of any kind.

If you don't want to be randomly assigned to a world then Join a guild and don't be a BG random.

I am in a guild. When did joining a guild become a requirement for playing in wvw with other people? Why should any guild, or group of guilds determine who is going to be able to play on their server?

If they make the Alliance cap size around 1,000....that's probably already pretty close to the really active population numbers for a lot of servers. I think a lot of people are really overreacting. I suspect most of the Alliances are going to settle around the existing server communities anyway and if you can't be bothered to join one of the WvW guilds (a lot of which have no actual requirements) then I'm not sure why you're concerned about being randomly placed.

Nice!Can i suggest some sort of bonus for WvW guilds/aliances?I mean you're shifting the identity and community core to aliances and guilds, might as well give some sort of continuity to it since wordls will be reseting, might as well give something to carry over between resets.Also, i'd say 8 weeks might be too short. I'd offer 12 weeks (3 months) at least.Also, since no new borderlands why not put 3 desert + 3 alpine + EBG ?Like:NRed AlpineBlue AlpineGreen Alpine____Eternal Battlegrounds_____S Red DesertBlue Desert____Green Desert

Now that you can control better how many people per world, i think you can make this feasible, as it is having only Red with desert creates a bit of an imbalance, imo at least.

Good job in using guilds and introducing alliances to keep communities together.

@X T D.6458 said:

@X T D.6458 said:Wow anet... just wow... You just greenlighted this pathetic Battlegroups concept. I am beyond disappointed and shocked. You just made WvW completely meaningless. I wonder how long it will take until everyone is running around in an EoTM style ktrain.

I am in a guild. When did joining a guild become a requirement for playing in wvw with other people?

Then why are you concerned? If you read through the post, joining a guild is not required for playing WvW with other people. If you want control over who you are playing with then you should join the same guild.

First off I'm glad y'all are getting ideas on the table. It feels like there's been too much silence but with the dev interaction in the thread I hope things can change.I've read through everything and have talked with my fellow guildies and once issue I have seems to be the size of alliances. 1000 players seems just too much and seems like itll just create some degenerate gameplay that we see now with BG (not namecalling them, just saying what continues to happen with interactions isn't healthy). I believe having guilds specificy as wubwub specific is important but I believe it needs to be taken a smaller step further and possibly have more restrictions on player limits to help curb degenerate gameplay like trying to build a full coverage alliance but possibly with more rewards from guild missions buuuuuuuuuut I know the guild team may not be ready for such a thing yet.
Also when will we have some optimizations on wubwub servers? Reset night in EBG is still a nightmare when you have 200+ people fighting inside SMC with skills coming out 10+ seconds later.

As a community I think we're all mostly happy with basically all the recent changes that are wubwub specific (ignoring class balancing) and we hope we keep hearing more from you.

Thanks!