World Restructuring

Gaile Gray.6029

@Endelon.1042 said:

@X T D.6458 said:Wow anet... just wow... You just greenlighted this pathetic Battlegroups concept. I am beyond disappointed and shocked. You just made WvW completely meaningless. I wonder how long it will take until everyone is running around in an EoTM style ktrain.

I no longer as a player can control what server I get to play and stay on, who I get to play with, when I get to play, how long I can play. I am now going to be "evaluated" to see if I am worthy enough? What kind of ridiculous nonsense is this? How in the world are you expecting to improve WvW like this? This is not even WvW anymore, this is randoms vs randoms.

How will people communicate when everyone like this? Is every group supposed to be in a different comm? This will lead to a total break down in communication, coordination and teamwork of any kind.

I cant believe you are doing this anet, I am just shocked...

If you don't want to be randomly assigned to a world then Join a guild and don't be a BG random.

I am in a guild. When did joining a guild become a requirement for playing in wvw with other people?

Then why are you concerned? If you read through the post, joining a guild is not required for playing WvW with other people. If you want control over who you are playing with then you should join the same guild.

Did it occur to you that there are people who do not want to be randomly assigned, because it is a punishment for not being in a guild? And what about those that are not in guilds that they like to run with?

@style.6173 said:I think this is a great idea. Of course a number of people from BG will complain, but in general it is a much better system than we have today. Population balance and time zone balance is a big issue. Looking forward to this being implemented as soon as possible.

Quite the opposite, this is the first real opportunity guilds on BG will have had to recruit new people in years.

@SugarCayne.3098 said:Sorry this is terrible. You are catering to guilds and ignoring your larger playerbase.

This is not a smart business model.

The larger WvW playerbase is the guilds. Who are the people tagging and leading WvW zergs? There's not many random, unaffiliated people that are tagging a lot anymore. If you're interested in really playing WvW more than just a casual participant for Gift of Battle then it's not unreasonable to join a WvW guild which, again, most have no real requirements.

My concern is honestly in transferring. It would have to be a harsher restriction than it currently is, simply for the fact that server transfers/world linking is what got us into this mess of imbalance in the first place. I get that there will be people impacted in the sense that their friend is on "Server A" and they are currently on "Server E", but give them a chance before the system goes live to decide if they want to play with that friend or guilds. I just feel that the overall impact of having no transfers will overall outweigh the cons of not being able to have one or two friends come play with you. But that's just my initial thoughts.

These changes are really good, I'm looking forward to them. I assume people will be assigned random worlds when they start with GW2? If not, how does the game determine if a player is french/spanish/german? Ingame language?

Also will the matchup system stay at 1up1down with these new changes, or will we get a new system?

@X T D.6458 said:

@X T D.6458 said:Wow anet... just wow... You just greenlighted this pathetic Battlegroups concept. I am beyond disappointed and shocked. You just made WvW completely meaningless. I wonder how long it will take until everyone is running around in an EoTM style ktrain.

I no longer as a player can control what server I get to play and stay on, who I get to play with, when I get to play, how long I can play. I am now going to be "evaluated" to see if I am worthy enough? What kind of ridiculous nonsense is this? How in the world are you expecting to improve WvW like this? This is not even WvW anymore, this is randoms vs randoms.

How will people communicate when everyone like this? Is every group supposed to be in a different comm? This will lead to a total break down in communication, coordination and teamwork of any kind.

I cant believe you are doing this anet, I am just shocked...

If you don't want to be randomly assigned to a world then Join a guild and don't be a BG random.

I am in a guild. When did joining a guild become a requirement for playing in wvw with other people?

Then why are you concerned? If you read through the post, joining a guild is not required for playing WvW with other people. If you want control over who you are playing with then you should join the same guild.

Did it occur to you that there are people who do not want to be randomly assigned, because it is a punishment for not being in a guild? And what about those that are not in guilds that they like to run with?

Then they should ask to join the guild or the guild alliance?

@Endelon.1042 said:

@SugarCayne.3098 said:Sorry this is terrible. You are catering to guilds and ignoring your larger playerbase.

This is not a smart business model.

The larger WvW playerbase
is
the guilds. Who are the people tagging and leading WvW zergs? There's not many random, unaffiliated people that are tagging a lot anymore. If you're interested in really playing WvW more than just a casual participant for Gift of Battle then it's not unreasonable to join a WvW guild which, again, most have no real requirements.

It isn’t though. Organized guilds are a fraction of the overall playerbase.

Most belong to smaller guilds or none.

It completely ignores the mechanism of defensive teams.

@"KOPPER.1458" said:Hard to tell right now but it seems this system doesn't bode well for those who aren't in a guild? Am I wrong?

No it just means that you can play with different people for 8 weeks, if you don't like them, you'll be whisked to a new "server" with possibly totally different players. It also means that anyone guildless has a chance to find people they like to play with and maybe decide to join that guild if they like to, but they don't HAVE to. Just think of it as solo player relinking :P

So if myself and a friend somehow manages to not get paired on the right server, we're not in the same guilds and have no interest in joining a WvW guild, or maybe one gets kicked due to inactivity. Are you expecting us to pay xxx gems every 8 weeks just to play together for the few weeks we decide to play?

Seems like this change will alienate casual WvW play.

@KOPPER.1458 said:Hard to tell right now but it seems this system doesn't bode well for those who aren't in a guild? Am I wrong?

According to the post you will just be randomly assigned to a world for the duration of that matchup season (8 weeks). So, if you really enjoy running with a certain person or guild then you'll want to join their guild or alliance.

@Raymond Lukes.6305 said:

@"Kovu.7560" said:Wow. That's something.It was good knowing you, Fort Aspenwood.

Still, a complete overhall
is
the only way to rebalance the population, so I can't really complain.Glad you guys have been hard at work designing this new system.

~ Kovu

The evolution of this post was amazing <3

Yeah, I was shellshocked when I initially posted that.Figured I'd give the readers something a little more concrete than a post akin to "first!"Still, crazy news. Actually looking forward to seeing how this develops.

~ Kovu

Since your touching worlds and make it easy for guilds to play together. It seems there will be less transfer and less fluctuation. Thats all good n stuff.The only bad thing with this "random" kinda sort of assignment is the Tier your alliance will be in.The problem is: GvG-Guilds usually transfer on high servers so they can play against each other and fight each other. For Example if a fight guild is settled in T4 and most of fight guilds are T1, i guess they would be sad. :(A solution (that i read somewhere) to that would be an overflow-type Obsidian Sanctum.. are there any plans with that?I guess this would make this project more successful, since those players wouldnt create imbalance only because they want to fight other guilds..

@Araleg.3152 said:So if myself and a friend somehow manages to not get paired on the right server, we're not in the same guilds and have no interest in joining a WvW guild, or maybe one gets kicked due to inactivity. Are you expecting us to pay xxx gems every 8 weeks just to play together for the few weeks we decide to play?

Seems like this change will alienate casual WvW play.

You could create your own private guild with each other and just designate that guild as your WvW guild so that the two of you always get matched together.

This makes me incredibly nervous. WvW benefits a lot from stable, long-term commitment and coordination, the kind that simply can't be made in 8 weeks. How will we know which groups are good at what kinds of play? What happens if one world happens to get a load of highly active roamers, and another gets a load of zerg blobby guilds, based on the algo?Or worse, let's say I and my friends are both in multiple WvW guilds, which are cross-linked in a couple of Alliances, and we happen to get dropped into different worlds? Why would there have to be a transfer cost for me to play with my friends? Will there be an association system to ensure that people with a tangible link will remain so on a reliable basis?Who asked for this to be the answer? A reduction in reliability is going to harm strategic relationships and potentially damage the overall population of the game. Without more information on how this will affect the community I don't imagine a lot of people will feel good about this.Population clumping is a problem sure, but burning down block of houses to turn them into non-renewable-lease apartments is surely not the answer, and that's what this feels like.

I'd like to start with I am glad to see the WvW game mode evolving further. That having been said, I have two guilds I run with. One as purely (my primary) roamers, and one organized (my secondary) WvW fight guild. That having been said, my primary guild is a pvx guild (I am the leader), but we are small enough that we would be highly unlikely to get an alliance slot with my fight guild. How do you propose to address this type of issue?

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Endelon.1042 said:Who will be in charge of Alliances (a single player? will there be an Alliance UI panel like the Guild panel?) and how will kicking guilds out of an Alliance be handled?

There-in lies the problem with alliances. No one should be able to kick a guild, form a new alliance if you don't like it.

Well, I don't think the original thread explained how that might work so that's why I asked. Maybe it would require a majority vote from guild leaders or something.