World Restructuring

Gaile Gray.6029

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Endelon.1042 said:Who will be in charge of Alliances (a single player? will there be an Alliance UI panel like the Guild panel?) and how will kicking guilds out of an Alliance be handled?

There-in lies the problem with alliances. No one should be able to kick a guild, form a new alliance if you don't like it.

Doesn’t matter. It’ll be hubris. Especially when the forums explode.

At least we have the option as consumers.

@Kerall.7390 said:Well, not optimistic about the effects this will have on WvW. I'd love to be proven wrong. But this looks like it will destroy communities.

Thats going to ruin wvw for a lot of people, this essentially makes it meaningless as there is no reason to play for your server. No reason to defend, upgrade, scout, or do anything. It will basically turn into an eotm style ktrain.

@Endelon.1042 said:

@Endelon.1042 said:Who will be in charge of Alliances (a single player? will there be an Alliance UI panel like the Guild panel?) and how will kicking guilds out of an Alliance be handled?

There-in lies the problem with alliances. No one should be able to kick a guild, form a new alliance if you don't like it.

Well, I don't think the original thread explained how that might work so that's why I asked. Maybe it would require a majority vote from guild leaders or something.

That would be....., destructive

@GentlemanAce.1957 said:

@SugarCayne.3098 said:Sorry this is terrible. You are catering to guilds and ignoring your larger playerbase.

This is not a smart business model.

You do realize you're playing a game called
Guild Wars 2
, not
I play alone but still want to play with specific people wars 2
right?

You do know the lore behind the name, right? It’s not what you think.

@X T D.6458 said:

@Kerall.7390 said:Well, not optimistic about the effects this will have on WvW. I'd love to be proven wrong. But this looks like it will destroy communities.

Thats going to ruin wvw for a lot of people, this essentially makes it meaningless as there is no reason to play for your server. No reason to defend, upgrade, scout, or do anything. It will basically turn into an eotm style ktrain.

Why wouldn't you want to scout, defend, and upgrade for your guild and for your Alliance?

@GentlemanAce.1957 said:

@SugarCayne.3098 said:Sorry this is terrible. You are catering to guilds and ignoring your larger playerbase.

This is not a smart business model.

You do realize you're playing a game called
Guild Wars 2
, not
I play alone but still want to play with specific people wars 2
right?

You are quoting the title yet ignoring the lore.

This is... very interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing more details.

One thing I hope you build into the new system is the ability to iterate changes as you learn more. One of the fundamental problems with any game, including the WvW mode, is that reasonable decisions are made based on what we know at a certain time. But once the new system goes into place, everything we (and you guys) know about WvW participation is going to change and evolve. For example: players, such as myself, that didn't used to care about having a WvW guild might start to care a lot about it. Some folks are going to play a lot less; some a lot more.

So I'm hoping that whatever you end up doing offers flexibility in not only changing numeric details (91% = Full vs 88%) or weights of various data within a formula, but also mixing & matching elements within the formulas. Obviously that is tons more work than the current overwhelming task of "simply" overhauling the entire definition of "world" in "World vs World."

The majority of people I know, including myself, are in multiple wvw guilds. I have one for zerging and one for smaller group play. Some have more than that, for zerging, for different time zones, for different activity.People in my guild are in multiple guilds for the above reasons, and not all in the same alternative guilds either, so simply allying with other guilds we are in isn't going to keep people together.This is going to destroy some guilds, most likely the smaller ones. A change is needed to happen but this wouldn't be my choice and may lead to a population drop if those left behind decide it's not worth continuing to play.Not to mention that changing worlds every 8 weeks is going to destroy any feeling of community that is left. The smaller servers that became link worlds already complain about this and now you extend that to everyone :/

• ArenaNet Staff

@lksaar.8065 said:These changes are really good, I'm looking forward to them. I assume people will be assigned random worlds when they start with GW2? If not, how does the game determine if a player is french/spanish/german? Ingame language?

Guilds will be able to set their language. An alliance will take the language of the guild that created it. If you aren't playing with a guild then the system will use whatever language you set the game as to sort you into a world that is that language.

Also will the matchup system stay at 1up1down with these new changes, or will we get a new system?

The new system will use 1up1down.

I recall this being thoroughly discussed back in like 2013 or so on the old official forums. The idea had a lot of support and traction back then with the only real naysayers being those who wanted to preserve their sense of "community".

I'm sure there'll be a lot of those posts to come, including the "What about our investments in our server websites, teamspeak, etc., etc..??" complaints.

Please ignore them. If only you had ignored them sooner. :anguished: Links were a good first step, time to take the leap. :+1:

In case you can't tell, I'm really excited for this!

@Celsith.2753 said:The majority of people I know, including myself, are in multiple wvw guilds. I have one for zerging and one for smaller group play. Some have more than that, for zerging, for different time zones, for different activity.People in my guild are in multiple guilds for the above reasons, and not all in the same alternative guilds either, so simply allying with other guilds we are in isn't going to keep people together.This is going to destroy some guilds, most likely the smaller ones. A change is needed to happen but this wouldn't be my choice and may lead to a population drop if those left behind decide it's not worth continuing to play.Not to mention that changing worlds every 8 weeks is going to destroy any feeling of community that is left. The smaller servers that became link worlds already complain about this and now you extend that to everyone :/

Maybe that’s what Anet wants ..to be finally rid of the demands from wvw players.

This feels like a shortsighted money-grab. Lots of income from server transfers ... every eight weeks.

I am a solo remainder in an old wvw guild, I have 5 guilds ( 4 storage) and am NOT interested in dropping a guild to join an alliance. This does seem to be a popular change and I hope it brings enjoyment to many players.

While I am not in favour of losing server identity, I do realise the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one. Farewell SoS .

I will try the new system but have no history of staying in any online world that removes servers.

@X T D.6458 said:

I guess they want everyone to do nothing but trade towers for karma.Prepare for the greatest exploitation of this game (and game format) to date.The T1 guilds are just going to ally with themselves or create 1-5 mega guilds so that they can stack on the same world.Pretty much all the militia folks, regardless of skill and play time, will end up in no man's land. I should not have to join a mega (forced 100% rep) wvw guild to play...but it's gonna happen. Guess us militia folks will play in the basement tier and ktrain too.

Sounds like a great idea on the surface, but the first thing I was thinking when you said "WvW Guild" was that our guild would probably classify itself as PvX or at least have that option available to us. The same goes for WvW alliance, really.

Using guilds and/or alliances to make up worlds sounds like an amazing idea to me. On the other hand, we (our guild) have a sort of alliance going from GW1, with other guilds sort of interested in an alliance system, even if WvW isn't really any focus of these guilds.

What I want to say with all this is, an alliance system based on size limitations, and a WvW guild classification requirement in order to play WvW together with your guild, even though your guild might not be an really dedicated WvW guild, will run into expectation problems.

An idea could be to link a maximum of x guilds in an alliance, which then can form wvw-teams, like you can for PvP. That seems to me a way more modular system, where the sole focus of an alliance system doesn't necessarily need to be focused on WvW, while still having that all important functionality that WvW, imo, needed when megaservers became a thing. Even if I can understand why you might not want to put energy and resources into a guild system that works for the entirety of the game rather than just for maybe 1/3rd of the game. It will definitely be harder, I'd imagine, even if I believe that to be entirely worth it, as Guilds right now in PvE don't really seem to have any sort of cohesion with megaservers, let alone with a system where guilds aren't tied to servers at all anymore.

I do like those moments when I see that guild tag that you know is (or was) one of the guilds on your server, even if they are PvE guilds. Which makes me further aware, that even if WvW is the only place where you really belong to a world, removing those does affect the whole landscape of the game and not just WvW.

@Ubi.4136 said:

I guess they want everyone to do nothing but trade towers for karma.Prepare for the greatest exploitation of this game (and game format) to date.The T1 guilds are just going to ally with themselves or create 1-5 mega guilds so that they can stack on the same world.Pretty much all the militia folks, regardless of skill and play time, will end up in no man's land. I should not have to join a mega (forced 100% rep) wvw guild to play...but it's gonna happen. Guess us militia folks will play in the basement tier and ktrain too.

And those guilds will force rep, as during the next 8weeks, you will be left behind

@Ubi.4136 said:@X T D.6458 said:

I guess they want everyone to do nothing but trade towers for karma.Prepare for the greatest exploitation of this game (and game format) to date.The T1 guilds are just going to ally with themselves or create 1-5 mega guilds so that they can stack on the same world.Pretty much all the militia folks, regardless of skill and play time, will end up in no man's land.
I should not have to join a mega (forced 100% rep) wvw guild to play
...but it's gonna happen. Guess us militia folks will play in the basement tier and ktrain too.

What mega WvW guild forces 100% rep? Can you even find me a guild based on Tarnished Coast (your server per signature) that forces 100% rep? There are none. Join ODIN or something and play with their alliance.