World Restructuring

Gaile Gray.6029

I like this idea. The only issue I see with it is people in multiple guilds because they play in different timezones will have a hard time choosing. My guild personally has a few players in an OCX guild,but our guild is mainly EST,although we have quite a few EU players now also. I enjoy running with that OCX guild when they are on,but feel they are more likely to want to ally with other OCX guilds as opposed to a group of EST guilds. At the same time based on the balancing maybe we would end up together regardless. Overall I think it will be good for the health of the game, a much better alternative then world linking. Which has basically just become linking fight guild transfer wars.

@McKenna Berdrow.2759 said:

@"Symmol.8639" said:Is the setting to be a WvW guild independant from the Guild Mission settings? I want to play WvW with my guild mates but still being able to do PvE missions with my other guild mates that don't play WvW.

It is independent. It will be a new setting launching with the system.

So, why would a guild not be set as a "WvW guild" exactly? I don't see any benefits from not being a WvW guild at all. It actually seems disadvantageous for a guild to be set as a non WvW guild. As a guild leader I don't see why I would want my members not have that option to play in the same shard as eachother.

Furthermore, as that will give access to the alliance system, no guild will think twice to hit that checkmark and form that alliance. Regardless of whether thats for WvW or for PvE.

I feel like its going to run in alot of discussions based around "But thats not what this system is/was/will be made for."

@keelhaul.8039 said:Sounds good and fresh in so many ways and I'm looking forward to it, my only concerns are with how the community may use alliances to over stack especially if its anything like 500 - 1000 ppl. 200 - 400 would be more then enough.

Would be 500-1000 total for all members of an alliance, not 500-1000 online at a time (can be, sure, but there's still queues). I don't think you can stack much, in numbers at least. Quality, that's a different deal.

This is an amazing structure and vision. Please implement ASAP!It is a blow to the stomach as I just helped or fully paid for 30/43 members who transferred servers last month for server to be nullified, but the move helped my guild tremendously, so I can't complain too much! As an ex leader and organizer of TC and a representative of several guild circles, there are already cross server communities and camaraderie that allow each guild and individuals to interact with each other. This will not hinder communities growing no more than servers currently do. This is a smart move to improve the WvW experience, and I cannot wait!A member spoke up stating this will make members choose between two guilds if they are not allied together. While he is concerned, I believe this can be paralleled to moving servers -- members must choose. I do not think it will become a problem.

How will this work if for example, you have 4 guilds, where everyone is a member of all 4 guilds. These guilds have all been upgraded to allow for various types of claiming in WvW, so for example, 1 can hold 2 camps, 1 tower and 1 keep at the same time. Right now you can do this by swapping guilds. This brings up a couple questions.

1.) Will this sort of activity be possible under the new proposed system?2.) If these 4 guilds, lets say a total of 200 unique players among them, are all a part of the same alliance, for the sake of alliance size, will the population of each guild be the only thing looked at, or the unique players in each guild, so if an alliance allows for say 500 players and I'm I'm a member of all 4 guilds in the alliance, do I count as 1 player or 4 players, furthermore given that the membership is shared across the guilds, would they even really count as 4 guilds in the alliance?

Now just to make it clear, i think the idea is fantastic, but the proof is in the pudding, or in this case, how good the execution of the idea is done. Do it well and all will be good, do it poorly and it could bury WvW, or should that be AvA ;)

• ArenaNet Staff

@Airwikjohn.7581 said:This a change wvw has needed for so long. Thanks anet.Just a few questions:Will there be a cap on how many alliances in a world?

Alliances can be different sizes so there isn't plans to have a caps on alliances currently. Instead the world size cap will control how many alliances can be on a world.

What if you are in multiple wvw based guilds, say if you're playing in more than one timezone, would you have to rely on alliances to play in both/all of them?

Yes, you would need to be in an alliance with all of those guilds to guarantee all those guilds being on the same world.

I know it's not really related. But will the character limit of maps change?

There are no plans to change character limits on WvW maps.

If you want to guarantee you continue to play with your WvW friends, it's very simple. For the people that don't want to be broken up from their WvW friends, make a WvW guild! And you can still be a part of other PvE guilds, and the people from those PvE guilds that want to WvW with you can also join your WvW guild. I don't see how it's going to be impossible to play with the same people you're playing with right now. Yes, you won't be Team Yak's Bend or Team Blackgate. But you can make a guild named Team Yak's Bend and still play together.

@fieraviolet.3160 said:I like this idea. The only issue I see with it is people in multiple guilds because they play in different timezones will have a hard time choosing. My guild personally has a few players in an OCX guild,but our guild is mainly EST,although we have quite a few EU players now also. I enjoy running with that OCX guild when they are on,but feel they are more likely to want to ally with other OCX guilds as opposed to a group of EST guilds. At the same time based on the balancing maybe we would end up together regardless. Overall I think it will be good for the health of the game, a much better alternative then world linking. Which has basically just become linking fight guild transfer wars.

You seem to be misunderstood. Most of the OCX guilds have nothing but hatred or rivalry to ally with each other. Not a lot of us left. Why would we ally to decrease our fights.

Don't fear change.

There are many easily foreseeable problems, but with an indefinite time scale and the fact that the WvW team is actually reaching out to us, the players, to gauge our feedback and take it into consideration, this is just what WvW needed.

Also l o l that shade thrown at the CD bandwagon

• ArenaNet Staff

@"Phlogistn.7893" said:It also raises the issue of: does total guild member count towards how much "space" a guild takes up in an Alliance? What if a guild is 100+ people but has an active wvw of 25? Are they counted as 100? Will they have to kick friends/retires/folks on break just to meet the threshold to join their alliance? If only the active folks count, what stops BG or any other server from having people go "dead" for a while before relink, stack an alliance, then exceed the limit?

Only people who mark the guild as their wvw guild will count. Guilds that specialize can still band together in an alliance if they so choose. We started this dialogue early so we could hear feedback and work to improve the design where possible.

@"Raymond Lukes.6305" said:We are planning to give the community some lead time before this goes live. Organizing yourselves will take time and we want to allow that to happen. Transfers are something we can monitor better with this system and respond to more quickly. Since worlds should be relatively even the amount of transferring to the higher population worlds before they become full will be less. This should prevent guilds and alliances trying to use transferring to stack servers more difficult. We're open to discussion about this though and the "fullness %s" are things be looking at and adjusting if needed until we find a good spot.

Your wording indicates that this is largely finished and nearly ready to deploy. Also the willingness to discuss it with the community and having such concrete answers to questions.

Will our next re-link at the end of February possibly be our last, or will we get one or two more after that? :astonished:

Very interesting. Definitely did not expect to see any changes made in this mode at this point...It's nice to see thought.

Just a few things I wanted to ask/suggest...

My understanding is that...WORLD = (an alliance[or a few] +guilds[a few smaller ones?] + individuals[those who didn't declare a wvw guild??])In a world, is it random alliances that are matched together? And random guilds put in? and random individuals?

Also if alliance size is large enough, would it be possible that...WORLD = (an alliance + individuals) or even just an alliance?Like, can an alliance be large enough to be its own small world? Then a few small worlds (that are primarily 1 alliance + individuals) can fight each other in a matchup?

How much population is every world expected to have?For example, when compared what Blackgate has right now? I imagine (and really hope) it would be much lower.

What about inactive players?A player comes back and wants to join his guild that is already part of an alliance/world. Can he just join them with ease?What about players who don't declare their 'wvw guild' but go into wvw? Are they assigned to a random world upon first entering the mode?

What about scores? or rankings?Ideally, alliances or even just guilds within the alliance should have some sort of score or ranking system within them.

Maybe this is a good time to introduce things like PPT/PPK/kills counters for guilds? (or something along those lines, I'm not sure)Every guild can have its statistics saved up. Like, how many players have been killed by members of a certain guild.These statistics should be easy access and watch.Also, these statistics can be used for ranking. Also there should be different rankings, like top kills, top PPT earned etc.Im not sure how to some of these, but yeah.....

This remake has a lot of potential.Please do this right...