World Restructuring

Gaile Gray.6029

As a player not associated with a guild, it feels a little sad to think about not seeing the same awesome commanders running around all the time on my world. I think this change is still the best for the game though.

How do you plan to handle "super alliances", the possibility of many top tier guilds creating a 500-stack at the top skill level? That is the one thing that I don't see addressed here and people will definitely try to create them.

@asha.4159 said:

The problem is those guilds will only recruit players that can dedicate all their time to WVW, or can train as you said, or raid with them etc. If you can't or don't you will be in a map for 8 weeks with people you don't know and huge guilds that run around saying get lost pug. I play a lot of WVW I can see this happening easily, as it already does in some cases with Guild raids. I think it's a bad idea to give guilds the reins in WVW, it's already a problem.

Definition of Guild - an association of people for mutual aid or the pursuit of a common goal.

Yes there will be elite guilds - raids/ trainings/ expectations - but casual ones with less restrictions are already around and dont have a culture to git gud or gkick.

Exactly! It's already a problem, I only see it becoming worse with this solution. So casual groups will they be broken up in to players that play a lot of play a little and moved to different servers? If not I see casual guilds being stuck up against elites so Idk how this fixes anything.

So what's anet going to do about people who have JUST spent gems to transfer servers? Seems like y'all would owe people a refund, since that costs RL money.

Overall, I dislike this idea. People who want to cheat the system can AND WILL still cheat it. Changing HOW they cheat the system is just changing the window dressing. The solution to hackergate Blackgate isn't to get rid of servers-it's to get rid of hackers, but I see zero reason to believe anet's ever going to do that, especially if it sells copies of the ex-pacs. There's no financial incentive for anet to cut down on that trash. Even though I've left TC myself, I can still sympathize with those who remain; some servers DO have distinct identities, etc., and now that's just going to be flushed down the toilet. Also, if anet is eliminating servers, what about the language-specific servers in the EU? That was actually a good idea; how will it be done now?

The rumor of doing something like this has been circulating for years, (been playing since 2013, so I've been around,) and it's ALWAYS been unpopular. Why now?

This would totally ruin my wvw experience....we currently have two nights where a bunch of friends from different alliances run WvW...the rest of the nights they run in different alliances...some are fight alliances some casual...this couldn't happen with this new model. Also seems to me it would promote elitism, I love playing but no matter how much I play I just don't think or react fast enough to be a good player so what alliance is going to want me and again I won't be able to then play those two nights with friends from the other types of alliances. What about communication...some have Team Speak some Discord etc. not everyone is going to want to download a bunch of different ones just to do WvW. Seems to me many players will stop playing.

@Klipso.8653 said:

@"Zephyr.8015" said:Quite honestly I am upset, especially because you name Blackgate as a problem server when its not. It is not BG's problem that servers don't want to participate in WvW, it is also not our problem that other servers aren't putting in time and effort into WvW in comparison to others. Looking at this site:
BG does not have the WvW population people think it does. I am so kitten glad to hear that anet has listened to the massive amount of haters of BG that carry around giant amounts of salt from Season 1 and 2. Because its BG's fault they don't put in effort, its BG's fault they get rolled over, its BG's fault that they don't play the game type as well. Anyone on SoS can tell you they have been doing well these past two weeks against us, by putting in effort and playing the game type. All this alliance thing will do is require more guild politics/map politics and cause drama. I am sure BG isn't alone in the fact that we have members of guilds who are in multiple WvW guilds, forcing them to choose 1 guild for an 8 week period or just in general to WvW with isn't cool. But I guess that's an exclusive issue on closed servers having to recruit from a limited pool of players, while other servers can recruit a lot more. This boils down to effort, the fact that you'd rather break apart servers who do WvW well to make it fair to those who don't want to put in effort.

This is a hard fact that will be ignored by the ignorant

It is also a hard fact that battlegroups was an idea first hinted at before server links and before T1 was as it is today, meaning that this announcement has nothing to do with today's BG.

@"Endelon.1042" said:If they make the Alliance cap size around 1,000....that's probably already pretty close to the really active population numbers for a lot of servers. I think a lot of people are really overreacting. I suspect most of the Alliances are going to settle around the existing server communities anyway and if you can't be bothered to join one of the WvW guilds (a lot of which have no actual requirements) then I'm not sure why you're concerned about being randomly placed.

Yeah just this, theres no reason for ppl going to panic.

If someone has a group of "inseperable friends", create a guild and put them in, set them as a WvW.

For those who are crying about the "important pugs", I advise you to create a generic guild to group your pugs, very simple.

The price for "hanging out with your friends" will simply be the guild organization, so finally this game will have a reason to have the nome of Guild Wars.

@McKenna Berdrow.2759 said:

@Endelon.1042 said:Who will be in charge of Alliances (a single player? will there be an Alliance UI panel like the Guild panel?) and how will kicking guilds out of an Alliance be handled?

The current design is that there will be a new tab in the guild panel where guilds can create and manage Alliances. The guild that created the Alliance can kick guilds from the alliance. We have also discussed that no one can kick guilds from an Alliance. Instead anyone can leave an Alliance and form a new one.

I'd rather a vote system, seems too complicated to manage all that movement just to oust a single entity.

Also, will guilds be able to be in more than one alliance.For example, can i join an alliance of old SFR guilds, plus make one alliance with other guilds that i do WvW and other PvE content with (which incidentally are also all SFR players), or would i have to join one or the other?

@Chaba.5410 said:

@"Zephyr.8015" said:Quite honestly I am upset, especially because you name Blackgate as a problem server when its not. It is not BG's problem that servers don't want to participate in WvW, it is also not our problem that other servers aren't putting in time and effort into WvW in comparison to others. Looking at this site:
BG does not have the WvW population people think it does. I am so kitten glad to hear that anet has listened to the massive amount of haters of BG that carry around giant amounts of salt from Season 1 and 2. Because its BG's fault they don't put in effort, its BG's fault they get rolled over, its BG's fault that they don't play the game type as well. Anyone on SoS can tell you they have been doing well these past two weeks against us, by putting in effort and playing the game type. All this alliance thing will do is require more guild politics/map politics and cause drama. I am sure BG isn't alone in the fact that we have members of guilds who are in multiple WvW guilds, forcing them to choose 1 guild for an 8 week period or just in general to WvW with isn't cool. But I guess that's an exclusive issue on closed servers having to recruit from a limited pool of players, while other servers can recruit a lot more. This boils down to effort, the fact that you'd rather break apart servers who do WvW well to make it fair to those who don't want to put in effort.

It is also a hard fact that battlegroups was an idea first hinted at before server links and before T1 was as it is today, meaning that this announcement has nothing to do with today's BG.

Yet anet felt the need to point us out by name, even though we aren't the problem? They're just feeding into the propaganda built on pillars of salt

I'm not sure why I'm seeing so many complaints about "Elitism".

Will this system promote WvW-focused Guilds to recruit more hardcore members? Yes, of course it will. Will those WvW-focused Guilds end up walking all over more casual Guilds? Unlikely, seeing that both players and Guilds are going to be monitored for how much time and effort you put into the game-mode.

Simply put: If you and your Guild play nothing but WvW, expect to be placed alongside like-minded players against other worlds full of like-minded players. This should result in a higher level of WvW play for players/Guilds who enjoy playing at that level.

If you enjoy a more casual approach, expect a more casual level of play with other casual players against other casual worlds. It's not that hard to figure out.

And if you're a solo player that enjoys playing on a certain server, there'll no doubt be Server Guilds/Alliances that pop up to keep people together. Yes, you might technically have to join a Guild, but that doesn't mean you have to run as a Guild.

@Klipso.8653 said:

Yet anet felt the need to point us out by name, even though we aren't the problem? They're just feeding into the propaganda built on pillars of salt

And they also mentioned Crystal Desert!

@"KalasDelRio.8921" said:I'm not sure why I'm seeing so many complaints about "Elitism".

Will this system promote WvW-focused Guilds to recruit more hardcore members? Yes, of course it will. Will those WvW-focused Guilds end up walking all over more casual Guilds? Unlikely, seeing that both players and Guilds are going to be monitored for how much time and effort you put into the game-mode.

Simply put: If you and your Guild play nothing but WvW, expect to be placed alongside like-minded players against other worlds full of like-minded players. This should result in a higher level of WvW play for players/Guilds who enjoy playing at that level.

If you enjoy a more casual approach, expect a more casual level of play with other casual players against other casual worlds. It's not that hard to figure out.

And if you're a solo player that enjoys playing on a certain server, there'll no doubt be Server Guilds/Alliances that pop up to keep people together. Yes, you might technically have to join a Guild, but that doesn't mean you have to run as a Guild.

If you look at guilds as solid single entities, your points work.

But that isn't the case. There are players out there that enjoy playing with different groups of friends throughout the week. Many bounce between harder-core full time wvw groups and their smaller groups based around friendships or spillovers from PVE activities. This will be impossible to do under the new system, unless those guilds are all in the same alliance (which is highly unlikely if any of them are more casual than the others - or if the alliance cap is restrictive). So, the system will force guilds to ally not based on friendships, but rather on perceived skill levels - which is definitely worth labeling as elitism.

And getting away from elitism is why many shifted from other MMOs to GW2 in the first place. It baffles that Anet wants to mess around with that.

The proposed system only works if everyone is either in a full time wvw guild or in a casual wvw guild. When you have crossover between the two (and you definitely have a lot of that), then the system falls apart - and makes the decisions you make about who to wvw with affect real tangible friendships.

@SnowPumpkin.1809 said:Exactly! It's already a problem, I only see it becoming worse with this solution. So casual groups will they be broken up in to players that play a lot of play a little and moved to different servers? If not I see casual guilds being stuck up against elites so Idk how this fixes anything.

I dont know your WvW gameplay - roaming, joining a zerg with open commander, PPTing....

But its already been mentioned there is some gameplay and 'skill' of the players being matched up in the new restructuring. I already mentioned people would lean towards joining a guild/ alliance attracted to their skill and gameplay and possibly time anyway, therefore, you have more chance being matched with a casual guild vs another casual guild take for an example one that like to follow commander and do a bit of ppt and a bit of ppk - which is a good thing right?

Compare to the current system - Vabbi, a fighting server mainly where people can bandwagon with IRL money Vs casual players/ low/ less skill like the current match up UW and JS (sorry Streaming commanders on UW and GH :P oh the banter) where Vabbi are farming lootbags.

@Donari.5237 said:This isn't really a WvW question, but given the bit about World Selection being eliminated, will our original chosen server no longer factor into megaserver placement? Will it be less likely for the RPers of Tarnished Coast to happen to be in the same maps as each other?

Yes I'm really curious about this as well and no one has answered as of yet. I'm in Canada my SO is Estonian, he plays EU and I play EU with an NA account. So what happens to me when servers get reset? I hope this doesn't effect PVE as well by me being set back to NA.

Will this even affect people who are doing PvE?

Also, this gives me a big worry on how people who Roleplay will find Roleplay. Given that the Tarnish Coast and Piken Square are being used as RP servers for most of the RP community, sharding us to different worlds will make meeting people even harder than it already is!

So my question is, how will this affect the RP community?

@Djamonja.6453 said:

@Muzical.1396 said:So what's anet going to do about people who have JUST spent gems to transfer servers? Seems like y'all would owe people a refund, since that costs RL money.

This won't be going live for many months, so you should be able to enjoy your new server for a long time.

Not me: guildmates. One of them just moved to FA specifically FOR WvW.

@asha.4159 said:

@SnowPumpkin.1809 said:Exactly! It's already a problem, I only see it becoming worse with this solution. So casual groups will they be broken up in to players that play a lot of play a little and moved to different servers? If not I see casual guilds being stuck up against elites so Idk how this fixes anything.

I dont know your WvW gameplay - roaming, joining a zerg with open commander, PPTing....

But its already been mentioned there is some gameplay and 'skill' of the players being matched up in the new restructuring. I already mentioned people would lean towards joining a guild/ alliance attracted to their skill and gameplay and possibly time anyway, therefore, you have more chance being matched with a casual guild vs another casual guild take for an example one that like to follow commander and do a bit of ppt and a bit of ppk - which is a good thing right?

Compare to the current system - Vabbi, a fighting server mainly where people can bandwagon with IRL money Vs casual players/ low/ less skill like the current match up UW and JS (sorry Streaming commanders on UW and GH :P oh the banter) where Vabbi are farming lootbags.

Ok so question. I WVW a lot and my BF works and does when he can. Even if we are in the same guild will we be split because of play hrs etc? If not can't you see how elite guilds that only pick the best of the best that have 100% dedication and alliance with like guilds will be OP in WVW? Also the same guilds that may take me may refuse him so....I could make my own guild but then do we get put in a map with a lot of hardcore players because of me, or with casual because of him or do we get split up? You see the problem?