Game Crash & Disconnection Issues [merged]

I think I found a potential cause to the freezing problem. I think there is an incompatibility issue with Vertical Sync and Refresh Rate. Last night I noticed that I had Vertical Sync turned off, my refresh rate is set at 60hz in game. When I tried to turn on Vertical Sync, it would cause the same total computer freeze up that I would experience during those loading screens.

In my Graphics Control Panel (Radeon), I had the option 'Wait for Vertical Refresh' set to 'Enhanced Sync'. I changed this to 'Off, unless Application Specifies. Then I was able to safely turn on Vertical Sync in game. Everything seems to be running smoother and faster now. Refresh rate in game is unchanged.

I cant say for sure if this was the problem. I would recommend anyone who has the freezing problem, to look at these settings in game and their graphics control panel. Also look at anything else that might cause compatibility issues.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@shodannet.7409 said:Feel the need to also comment as it's been getting really annoying. Since at least the introduction of mounts, or at least halloween, I have been getting the odd freeze: game music continues to play, but the games locked up. I can alt tab out to kill and restart the game but it usually occurs in group events, meaning I miss out on the reward. Swear it has something to do with mounts since mounts are usually present when it hangs, and Im not always on one when it freezes.There's no crash log or errors in event viewer so its really frustrating to know somethings up, but I have nothing to go on. Havent changed my system in years as it was rock solid.

This was my experience. I did switch to Windowed Fullscreen and my next incident was a crash though, just to save having to kill the app. Also, you can find crash logs in %appdata%\Guild Wars 2\ArenaNet.log. I have an entire 148 KB of the same crash over and over from this.

Back to report my findings...So I found my root cause,but not what I thought it was.Having GW2 crash when setting textures above low was a red herring, turns out I had a stick of ram go bad. I am surprised that pcmark/3dmark and other games did not crash in my testing. Only app that found it was memtest86. Pulled the bad stick and I have not had one issue since. I highly doubt everyone has bad memory,but may be worth checking as well.

Thought I was on to something with the textures,but it was all smoke and mirrors. Hopefully the other issues have solutions soon. Not that it helps main but I did not want to leave the post without an update.

I know complaining here will will have no effect whatsoever on ARENANET but after almost completing two separate stories TWICE in a row EACH, and LOSING ALL MY PROGRESS, one PoF and another in the original game I am just so fed up. I NEVER get disconnected playing the normal game it is just in the kitten stories. I have no idea what to do. WHY oh why does it choose stores to disconnect.

@Reboot.4562 said:Back to report my findings...So I found my root cause,but not what I thought it was.Having GW2 crash when setting textures above low was a red herring, turns out I had a stick of ram go bad. I am surprised that pcmark/3dmark and other games did not crash in my testing. Only app that found it was memtest86. Pulled the bad stick and I have not had one issue since. I highly doubt everyone has bad memory,but may be worth checking as well.

Thought I was on to something with the textures,but it was all smoke and mirrors. Hopefully the other issues have solutions soon. Not that it helps main but I did not want to leave the post without an update.

Just memtested my box to be sure, came up clean. So beware, you might have found a problem, but I suspect more lurk in the shadows, and not all are user serviceable.

It is terrible, the one thing that has appeared to work for me is opening ports on both my router and pc to allow the cinematic connection to be more stable. I have never had to do this for any other game, nor do i know if this is a 100% fix.....however currently it seems to be holding up much better, altho i have not gone back and done many long story content to test it fully.

Same, freezes seemed gone but noticed a few lasting a second that recovered last week. Today again 2 freezes.One in new LS map, standing and chattingNext one in a PoF map simple walking

since freezes started I fortunately keep some word doc unsaved in background, so I can log off Win10 and cancel, killing only the blocking gw2.

But it's annoying.

I7, GTX1070, SSD drive ( seems like a GTX issue, most people who admit having it in game also say yes to having GTX )

Hope they acknowledge/fix it

and nothing in windows eventvwr pointing to any hardware error

Reposting this in this thread, might help:

Update: My client hasn't crashed a single time for 2 days now from crashing every 10 minutes. What I did was I deleted all the files in the GW2 folder apart from Gw2-64.exe and Gw2.dat then ran the exe. It rebuilt the other related files and it's now somehow fixed, for the long run hopefully.

@jdmThor.3806 said:Reposting this in this thread, might help:

Update: My client hasn't crashed a single time for 2 days now from crashing every 10 minutes. What I did was I deleted all the files in the GW2 folder apart from Gw2-64.exe and Gw2.dat then ran the exe. It rebuilt the other related files and it's now somehow fixed, for the long run hopefully.

how are you going now? still good??

@MrMojoRisin.7364 said:

@jdmThor.3806 said:Reposting this in this thread, might help:

how are you going now? still good??

My GW2 client only crashed once since I posted that so the crashes are mostly gone. Ping spikes are another story though.

I had this crash 3 times in Silverwastes today. The usual thing; frozen screen, either have to move the gw2 client to a second desktop and end process or log out from the user profile to force end the gw2 client. I've had it since this thread started but today it really irked me. Here's what I've noticed:

1. It almost always occurs when using mounts when jumping forward on raptor or flying on griffon.
  2. It is almost always in a high population or high graphic intensive area, i.e PoF maps or Silverwastes in a RIBA map.

Windows 10 version 1709/build 16299.192 (but have had issues for months and I keep windows up to date)i7-7700 CPU16gb RAM DDR4Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 1050 Ti250g SSD

@TheGrimm.5624 said:Only makes it a bit worse, when it freezes there aren't any options but to hard boot the PC. This also means it doesn't create a error report to send in. Not sure if its related to the random ability flashes that started occuring around the same Oct patch or not, haven't seen a pattern between the two instances.

Ok potentially found a pattern. Switched to just Windiowed Fullscreen and ran 2.5 weeks no crashes. Switched back to windowed with choosen resolutions that matched a monitor and get at least 1 crash a day with resizing issues in even log and bad handles. It seems like the handling of sizes does not play the same when you using the differing settings. Going back to basic Windowed Fullscreen and see if crashes vanish again. More in a week.

Thank you! After multiple disconnections (5 or 6) during the personal story Victory or Death mission to kill the dragon, I changed my Windows 10 host file to include the line 127.0.0.1 assetcdn.102.arenanetworks.com as suggested. This seems to have helped me with my issue, I was then able to successfully complete the instance, kill Zhaitan, and exit. I submitted a bug report in the hope that this can be further investigated and a correction implemented in the client or server.

My client is hard crashing recently. Like lock the computer hard. Thankfully I can press Ctrl+Win+D and create another Desktop instance on Windows. Then load Task Manager and terminate GW2. I can't play for periods of time without the game crashing on me. I run it on Windows 10 64Bit with an SSD. My computer should be able to run the game smoothly like all the others I play, yet this one crashes like crazy.

There is a crash issue associated with this apparently.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/19215/memory-address-ffffffff-at-fffffffff-could-not-be-read

For those of you interested, apparently the client DOES write to a Error Log before it hard freezes. This will at least give you an idea of what is going on. Navigate to the following location in Windows.

%appdata%\Guild Wars 2

or

C:\Users\YOUR_USERNAME_HERE\AppData\Roaming\Guild Wars 2

inside is a ArenaNet.log file. Read that and at the very bottom should be the latest error logged. Note my memory is just fine as I play several games. This issue seems to be triggered specifically by GuildWars 2. As many people are getting the error at the exact memory location.

Twice now during the Pala Istan meta game crashed and booted everyone from the map, all progress purged, just also got booted from a winning ranked pvp match, like wtf man, can't even play when every ounce of effort on my part is just completely obliterated, and it's not just me, its map wide, tons of people are suffering here.

@Catastrophe.2407 said:Twice now during the Pala Istan meta game crashed and booted everyone from the map, all progress purged, just also got booted from a winning ranked pvp match, like kitten man, can't even play when every ounce of effort on my part is just completely obliterated, and it's not just me, its map wide, tons of people are suffering here.

Got this too a few minutes ago. Had the same issue in Twilight Arbor. Went through twice, got kicked fighting the tree boss both times.

hi , i meet same problem too : error =7:11:3:191:101.one disconnect and back to main menu every 5 mins.i have made an exception in firewall (win10) for GW2 client and opened recommanded port in my router (80,443,6112)restarted my router - rebooted my Pc and done.since that, game run 1 hour 1/2 without breakhope it help

is this the same issue? wherein i run the game, alt tab to desktop or another program, i get to desktop and the gw2 cursor remains in the desktop instead of the windows cursor. when i click say for example chrome nothing happens even clicking gw2 in the taskbar doesnt help nor alt tabbing back. when i do ctrl alt del the task manager shows up but nothing is accessible anyway. i havent tried logging out before doing the taskbar though. anyway to get the computer to work again im left with nothing but press the power and reset button. i am fed up with this as i have 2 hard drives and this sudden shut offs might kill em