The Name of the Deep Sea Dragon S......!! — Guild Wars 2 Forums

The Name of the Deep Sea Dragon S......!!

Sombra.3246Sombra.3246 Member ✭✭✭

Wanted to start a discussion on guessing the name of the mysterious Deep Sea Dragon.
All we can do at this point is guess.
So I will Start.
My guesses for names I think would be cool are:
Sindrake
Salamance
Sourbouros
Szraak

Please leave your guesses or names you think will be cool in the comments below :)

<13

Comments

• How do we know its name starts with an S?

• If I recall, it was found in the Tome of the Five True Gods and I think Taimi mentions it too at some point. I can't find any references at the moment though.

• Anna.7845Anna.7845 Member ✭✭

Seadragon
    Scthulhu
    Sammy

• ugrakarma.9416ugrakarma.9416 Member ✭✭✭✭

Six Six Six.

Tannhauser Engineer(SoS) | Atlantean Sword | Khel the Undead

• Sohothin.

The implications are awesome.

• I have decided that it is a she, and her name is Señor Bubbles.

And yes, I know the female form of "señor" is "señora". But it has been decided. Señor Bubbles it is. Forever.

• Scleritethin.

• Sombra.3246Sombra.3246 Member ✭✭✭

@ArbiterofTruth.2390 said:
    How do we know its name starts with an S?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Deep_sea_dragon

The Durmand Priory believe its name begins with an S; however, the old texts that list the Elder Dragons' names were damaged when naming this dragon, and translation is subjective due to its age.[1][2] The deep sea dragon is said to have woken in the deepest location of the seas, though its exact location remains unknown.

• ErikTheTyrant.4527ErikTheTyrant.4527 Member ✭✭
    edited February 7, 2018

They need to give it a cool effectively menacing name. However make our characters if not, then Taimi calls it Bubbles.

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Kossage.9072 said:

The "Hidden Arcana" story instance from Season 2 provided suggests the dragon's name potentially starts with an S via NPC dialogues and the map of the All. For example, here's one bit of dialogue from the instance:

Historian: That's a map of the All. I like to think of them as spirit realms. That's Tyria in the middle. All those other circles are spheres of influence and powerful magic.
    Character name: What about the letters? Are those...
    Historian: Yeah. First letter of each dragon's name.
    Character name: Who's S?
    Historian: Don't know any more than that. That was all they could get from the Tome of the Five True Gods. It's too damaged. Some of these scholars in here would kill to know the full name of that dragon.
    Character name: Is it the deep sea dragon?
    Historian: They think so. Me, I think they probably got the letter wrong, but who knows. They're still translating and trying to fill in lost pieces.

What's also intriguing is that during the cutscene in Kesho that explained "The Legacy" in "The Way Forward" story instance in Path of Fire, we may have actually gotten our first, menacing glimpse of the deep sea dragon. If you want to check out the glimpse in the cinematic rather than in the wiki screencap, keep an eye out in the aforementioned cinematic between 0:14 and 0:15. :)

Are you sure? I took that to be Kralkatorrik.

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• It's SeaBubbles!

• Justine.6351Justine.6351 Member ✭✭✭✭

Seabiscuit

Anet buff me :-(
    Make me good at game!

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:
    Scleritethin.

He been spying on us using people with no sense of fashion ;-)

Make me good at game!

• arenta.2953arenta.2953 Member ✭✭✭

my theory, is the name is so cursed that people instantly forget it, and if written down people can read it, but don't recall it

if someone attempts to magically remove the curse, they drown in their own body as fluids begin to evacuate.

• Narcemus.1348Narcemus.1348 Member ✭✭✭

Scleritethin.

I was also going to post some variation of sclerite. It is only too convenient that it is themed off of the tentacles we see with the Karka in Southsun Cove. Strange tentacles near the ocean, sounds too much like the DSD's minions to be a coincidence.

• cptaylor.2670cptaylor.2670 Member ✭✭✭✭

Scyllaraxus

• Arden.7480Arden.7480 Member ✭✭✭✭

From Taimi's Game:

Taimi: Nothing on Kralkatorrik, and ditto for... Oh, what's its name? Brain malfunction. Starts with an s...?

Seek, and you shall find.

Sausage or Senior Spaghetti

• Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭✭

Slytherin. Not a bad dragon in the world hasn't come out of that house

HARRY! DIDYA PUT YER NAME IN DA GOBLET OF FIYAH?!

I hope the selbbub joke is honored somewhere in game but sadly we all know that would NOT be a menacing name for the dragon

• Selbbubbles, Selbbubria, or Selbbubynit

Server: Sorrow's Furnace
    Guilds: [DOA] Descendants Of Ascalon, [LOOT] Legendary Order Of Thieves
    Characters: Black Hooded S\D Thief, Celestial Herald & Power Reaper

@Fenom.9457 said:
    I hope the selbbub joke is honored somewhere in game but sadly we all know that would NOT be a menacing name for the dragon

Random Quaggan: "Coo. Scary dragon too scary. Quaggan makes it less scary by changing its name. Dragon's name is now Bubbles. Bubbles not scary."

-minion attack-

Random Quaggan: "Quaggan was wrong! Bubbles scary! Bubbles very scary! FooOOoo!"

Yes perfect

@Fenom.9457 said:

Random Quaggan: "Coo. Scary dragon too scary. Quaggan makes it less scary by changing its name. Dragon's name is now Bubbles. Bubbles not scary."

-minion attack-

Random Quaggan: "Quaggan was wrong! Bubbles scary! Bubbles very scary! FooOOoo!"

I forgot quaggans were driven ashore by the sea dragon...
    Please anet lets just forget that dragon exists so I don't have to listen to moronic baby talking quaggans for an entire expansion.

Make me good at game!

• arenta.2953arenta.2953 Member ✭✭✭

scary bubbles.

it matches all the clues

• Kossage.9072Kossage.9072 Member ✭✭✭

@Randulf.7614 said:

It's not 100% confirmed until a reputable NPC or a dev explicitly states it's so, of course. I, too, originally thought it may have been Kralky (given how fast it goes while you're given so much audiovisual stuff with it) until I took a closer look at the cinematic. There are a few clues in the Kesho cinematic, notably the dragon being in what seems to be underwater (notice the flow in the foreground when the camera pans to show the dragon's head as well as what look like bubbles around it). As for the purple-ish color for the dragon, while it could refer to Kralkatorrik, devs have told us before that "purple is the color of evil" in GW verse, so the cinematic's use of the color could simply indicate that, as an Elder Dragon, Bubbles is bad news and thus veers towards that hue to depict the concept image of the dragon to hammer that point home.

• Konig Des Todes.2086Konig Des Todes.2086 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2018

@Randulf.7614 said:

The Way Forward cinematic has six points when depicting the All, and color-codes them, just like with the Omadd Machine and Taimi Simulation cinematics. Unlike the other depictions which shows The All as seven circles (six Elder Dragon spheres revolving around a central golden Tyrian sphere), The Way Forward shows The All as a octahedron with a shining white cube in the center, with the color coding on the six points.

The colors are slightly different - originally it is purple (Kralk), red/orange (Primordus), lime green (Mordremoth), white (Jormag), blue (DSD), and dark green/black (Zhaitan). The octahedron instead has green, orange, yellow, very bright purple, light blue, and what seems to be white but could be very bright blue. Presumably the color correlation would be Zhaitan, Primordus, Mordremoth, Kralkatorrik, DSD, Jormag.

The cinematic zooms in on the white, flashes an image of a dragon in blue hue (when fading in, it looks purple though), and zooms out to a blue pointed pyramid.

So it's most likely the DSD, but it might be Jormag. It's a bit of an oddity in the cinematic that it changes color.

The shot of the dragon itself also has a fairly underwater vibe to it, though one could argue it to be snow or even clouds...

@Randulf.7614 said:

The Way Forward cinematic has six points when depicting the All, and color-codes them, just like with the Omadd Machine and Taimi Simulation cinematics. Unlike the other depictions which shows The All as seven circles (six Elder Dragon spheres revolving around a central golden Tyrian sphere), The Way Forward shows The All as a octahedron with a shining white cube in the center, with the color coding on the six points.

The colors are slightly different - originally it is purple (Kralk), red/orange (Primordus), lime green (Mordremoth), white (Jormag), blue (DSD), and dark green/black (Zhaitan). The octahedron instead has green, orange, yellow, very bright purple, light blue, and what seems to be white but could be very bright blue. Presumably the color correlation would be Zhaitan, Primordus, Mordremoth, Kralkatorrik, DSD, Jormag.

The cinematic zooms in on the white, flashes an image of a dragon in blue hue (when fading in, it looks purple though), and zooms out to a blue pointed pyramid.

So it's most likely the DSD, but it might be Jormag. It's a bit of an oddity in the cinematic that it changes color.

The shot of the dragon itself also has a fairly underwater vibe to it, though one could argue it to be snow or even clouds...

Yeah i was thinking swirls/shards/crystals of light hence why i i stantly thought of Kralk. Interesting catch though if it is the DSD

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Slypher "The Undying" Serpent

• Orpheal.8263Orpheal.8263 Member ✭✭✭

Smaug ..ehm, oh, no ,already taken, my bad xD

How about ( looking for names that go smooth over the togue)

• Siendeidaras
    • Shyllaeth
    • Sathaerloss
    • Sharinnedo'ul (a bit more playing around with spelling here, makng this way the name sound more interesting)
    • Shaesadethr
    • Sheherazade (jk xD)

somethign alogn this I'd surely vote for it as name ^^ Most likely if it woudl go after me and my idea,s it take Sharinnedo'ul I guess

Cassandra Lancaster - Achievement Hunter - 28,9k AP currently - Server: Drakkar Lake/EU - Mastery Rank of 254
    I'm the proud Origin of the Elite Specializations Concept (Sub Classes) through the last made CDI Project.

@Orpheal.8263 said:

• Siendeidaras
    • Shyllaeth
    • Sathaerloss
    • Sharinnedo'ul (a bit more playing around with spelling here, makng this way the name sound more interesting)
    • Shaesadethr
    • Sheherazade (jk xD)

somethign alogn this I'd surely vote for it as name ^^ Most likely if it woudl go after me and my idea,s it take Sharinnedo'ul I guess

meh, i doubt everyone is able to read these names.

• Orpheal.8263Orpheal.8263 Member ✭✭✭

@Arden.7480 said:

@Orpheal.8263 said:

• Siendeidaras
    • Shyllaeth
    • Sathaerloss
    • Shaesadethr
    • Sheherazade (jk xD)

Do I even have to pronounce it now for you ? ;-P

• Cy-en-day-dah-ras
    • Shy-la-eth
    • Sa- tha-er-loss
    • Sha-rin-nedo--uul
    • Sha-esa-dea-thr

With names like Kralkatorrik it isn't every much better compared to my proposed names, so Anet has no problems with dragon names that are a bit longer and consist out of more than only 2 or 3 syllables

Cassandra Lancaster - Achievement Hunter - 28,9k AP currently - Server: Drakkar Lake/EU - Mastery Rank of 254
    I'm the proud Origin of the Elite Specializations Concept (Sub Classes) through the last made CDI Project.

@Arden.7480 said:

@Orpheal.8263 said:

• Siendeidaras
    • Shyllaeth
    • Sathaerloss
    • Shaesadethr
    • Sheherazade (jk xD)

I agree.

Personally I don't think they will name it. If the name is lost to history, unless it comes up to introduce itself with a wave and a handshake, then I suspect if we ever encounter it, they will use "Deep Sea Dragon" or equivalent.

If they do name it, I hope they use it as a good way of digging further back into older rises. We've touched upon it a little with the Mursaat tablets and a few other bits, but I think if we could somehow uncover something much older than previously discovered, then that could be really intriguing

@Orpheal.8263 said:

@Arden.7480 said:

@Orpheal.8263 said:

• Siendeidaras
    • Shyllaeth
    • Sathaerloss
    • Shaesadethr
    • Sheherazade (jk xD)

Do I even have to pronounce it now for you ? ;-P

• Cy-en-day-dah-ras
    • Shy-la-eth
    • Sa- tha-er-loss
    • Sha-rin-nedo--uul
    • Sha-esa-dea-thr

With names like Kralkatorrik it isn't every much better compared to my proposed names, so Anet has no problems with dragon names that are a bit longer and consist out of more than only 2 or 3 syllables

I just cant pronounce these names, because they are tough for my language i mean 'th' and 'sh' sounds appearing in such order makes my tongue uncomfortable, you dont wanna hear me while saying these names. xD Nice character name ideas, but to name a dragon like that would cause hundreds of versions of pronouncing and none would be correct. xD

• TwilightSoul.9048TwilightSoul.9048 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2018

I have a few possible names too!

• Super Scary Dark Shadow Dragon xXDx3 (If it's named by a 13 year old who just got into gaming)
    • Serenia (If it's named by someone who spent a little time thinking about it)
    • Scallgon (if it's named by someone who usually names pokemon for nintendo [it's a merge of "Scall"op and Dra"gon", in case you didn't notice, which is a common Pokemon naming scheme])
    • Seventh Dragon Emperor of the Dark Abyss - Shadow of the Crimson Sea [4000 Atk / 4000 Def, 10 Stars, Effect: If successfully summoned, all Enemy Cards on the Board will be attached to this card as Equip Spell Cards. This Card gains 100 Atk for each Card Equipped by this Cards Effect] (if it's named by someone who usually names YuGiOh Cards)
    • Shrough (A more serious guess)

As the old worlds fall behind
    Our spirit reaches wide
    With no fear breathing new life
    Awaken from the dark dark slumber

Wintersun - Awaken from the dark slumber (Spring) - Part II The Awakening

• Snagglepus

• Cynder.2509Cynder.2509 Member ✭✭✭

Interesting thing indeed!
    I once had a very weird dream where the name for the dragon somehow got leaked through a leak regarding an expansion that was going for the water dragon and its name was "Septragon" I don't know why I dreamt anything like this. Anyway, I just wanted to share this somehow.

I'm Hunter, he/him/they
    Check out my Tumblr for more GW2 content if you want: http://is-it-because-im-charr.tumblr.com/
    Character infos: https://is-it-because-im-charr.tumblr.com/characters

@Orpheal.8263 said:

• Siendeidaras
    • Shyllaeth
    • Sathaerloss
    • Shaesadethr
    • Sheherazade (jk xD)

I like the second one, sounds like something in pastel tongue which would be perfect for it

• @Arden.7480 said:

@Orpheal.8263 said:

• Siendeidaras
    • Shyllaeth
    • Sathaerloss
    • Shaesadethr
    • Sheherazade (jk xD)

And people complain Kralkatorrik is too hard to remember and pronounce...

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Arden.7480 said:

@Orpheal.8263 said:

• Siendeidaras
    • Shyllaeth
    • Sathaerloss
    • Shaesadethr
    • Sheherazade (jk xD)

I agree.

Personally I don't think they will name it. If the name is lost to history, unless it comes up to introduce itself with a wave and a handshake, then I suspect if we ever encounter it, they will use "Deep Sea Dragon" or equivalent.

If they do name it, I hope they use it as a good way of digging further back into older rises. We've touched upon it a little with the Mursaat tablets and a few other bits, but I think if we could somehow uncover something much older than previously discovered, then that could be really intriguing

If its minions speak like 4 out of 5 other dragons' minions, then it will get named by its forces if nothing else.

And getting more details on the prior rise would be nice, especially to iron out the inconsistencies (was it 10,000 or 3,000 years ago? ANET YOU KEEP GOING BACK AND FORTH!).

• It's name is obviously Scylla, and it's deep sea champion Charybdis.

edited February 12, 2018

@Arden.7480 said:

@Orpheal.8263 said:

• Siendeidaras
    • Shyllaeth
    • Sathaerloss
    • Shaesadethr
    • Sheherazade (jk xD)

And people complain Kralkatorrik is too hard to remember and pronounce...

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Arden.7480 said:

@Orpheal.8263 said:

• Siendeidaras
    • Shyllaeth
    • Sathaerloss
    • Shaesadethr
    • Sheherazade (jk xD)

I agree.

If its minions speak like 4 out of 5 other dragons' minions, then it will get named by its forces if nothing else.

And getting more details on the prior rise would be nice, especially to iron out the inconsistencies (was it 10,000 or 3,000 years ago? ANET YOU KEEP GOING BACK AND FORTH!).

Come to think about it, the names all originate from the Dragons themselves. So if it was written down, a race would have previously discovered before from the Dragon/Minions. I wonder, rather than just use speech, we will "sense" it somehow from them - that would be more in keeping with a horror/eldritch style if they choose to use that theme for the Dragon.

• What if it really is "Steve Bubbles", but all the historians, record keepers, and everyone else prefer not to mention this, because all the dragons are named in some rather hard to pronounce outlandish fashion?
    Honestly, who of you would like to admit, that you all were driven from your ancestral homelands by the Elder Dragon, the horrible threat, that cannot be overcome, by STEVE BUBBLES?!
    I suspect most tyrians would laugh at that. It just defies expectation.
    Maybe the dragon itself dislikes the name, going after those, who found out the secret of its name, sending its minions to silence all those, who dare mention its true name?

At this point, the Largos may know more, but they aren't really the type to talk about those things.
    The Krait may also know the name of the Deep Sea Dragon, or at least confim, whether or not it's actually Steve.
    There's also the Quaggan, but eh- I'd prefer to dive into the Unending Ocean and ask the dragon in person. At least we could figure out, whether or not the Dragon is a threat that way. If the dragon ignores the dry land, we might not even need to fight it.

• Sashayaway

"clang clang shriiiiek clang!" -Belinda Delaqua
    When I join your LFG

@Sublimatio.6981 said:
    Sashayaway

Parselmouth!

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.