Ranger CC Pets — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Ranger CC Pets

What are some good options for a CC (breakbar) pet for the Ranger? I've been using a Jungle Spider. I was hoping the PoF lion would be good, but it wasn't.

In the event I don't get a chance, thank you all for the company and help when I needed it from time to time.

Comments

  • Electric wyvern and gazelle are good examples. (orused to be last patch). I am not a druid player so i am not as qualified as others might be.

  • The wiki has a table of all CC skills that should be current. It's a thorough list, although not necessarily arranged in an order useful to choosing a pet. Look for "with" (for Ranger/Druid pets) or "when melded" (for Soulbeast)

    "Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

  • @ButcherofMalakir.4067 said:
    Electric wyvern and gazelle are good examples. (orused to be last patch). I am not a druid player so i am not as qualified as others might be.

    ^ this. Gazelle and wyvern are the most common. Pink moa bird is recommended for people that do not own neither expantion. Jungle spider also has soft CC.

  • Electric wyvern is my go to, but the black moa is pretty great for defiance bar if you have it :]

  • Haleydawn.3764Haleydawn.3764 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2018

    @Kaylaena.6257 said:
    Electric wyvern is my go to, but the black moa is pretty great for defiance bar if you have it :]

    Except for appearance and some details on its Dazing Screech, the black moa is identical to the pink moa. The pink Moa seems to do more damage from its screech, but the black moas defiance bar damage is 100pts higher, according to data on the Wiki.

    I’m pretty sure Smokescale has a knockdown in its base attack sequence.

    Better get a wriggle on.

  • @Haleydawn.3764 said:

    @Kaylaena.6257 said:
    Electric wyvern is my go to, but the black moa is pretty great for defiance bar if you have it :]

    ...the black moa is identical to the pink moa... The pink Moa seems to do more damage from its screech, but the black moas defiance bar damage is 100pts higher, according to data on the Wiki.

    The two pets are supposed to be identical, because Black is supposed to be a just a reskin. It's unobtainable for anyone who hasn't linked an appropriate GW1 account, so it would be unfair if its weaker or stronger than the Pink.

    However, in practice, they are different pets, with different IDs (and their Dazing Screech also has a different skill ID). ANet has had trouble getting them to behave identically. One patch made one have a stronger defiance-breaking screech; another reversed that. It wouldn't surprise me if they made another change and didn't include it in the patch notes.

    According to the API,

    • The Pink Moa's d-screech lasts 2 seconds with a damage multiplier of 0.5, with a hit count of 1
    • The Black's lasts 1 second with a damage multiplier of 0.2, with a hit count of 1.

    That suggests that the Pink screech does more damage. The wiki articles don't seem to have been updated recently, so I don't know if anyone has recently tested the in-game impact. That should be easy enough with ArcDPS and perhaps the results are common knowledge among the meter-using community.

    "Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

  • Though they aren't as good as hard CC's, don't forget the pets that can apply soft CC's as well. Fear, Chill, Immob, Taunt, etc. With the build that I'm currently running on one of my druids, whenever I hit the F2 pet skill, it applies 2 seconds of taunt at 75 per second. So when the Gazelle does his head toss, I'm getting an extra 150 damage to that defiance bar from the taunt at the same time.

  • sephiroth.4217sephiroth.4217 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I like the Wolf, it has a knock down and fear.

    Hyena can be fun too, calls an ally, both have knockdown potential but the ally is a bit of a pixie and wonders off somewhere unnecessary,

    Not to brag, but I put together a puzzle in 4 days and the box said 2-4 years.
    Please allow team queue with rewards again at our own discretion.
    Apologies if I come off as dry or blunt.

  • ReaverKane.7598ReaverKane.7598 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Kaylaena.6257 said:
    Electric wyvern is my go to, but the black moa is pretty great for defiance bar if you have it :]

    Black Moa is a Pink Moa with a Skin, so Pink Moa is the exact same thing.
    Wolf (grab it in WvW) is a great CCer, especially for PvP.

  • @ReaverKane.7598 said:
    Black Moa is a Pink Moa with a Skin, so Pink Moa is the exact same thing.

    It's supposed to be, but it's not. The pets use a different version of screech (the devs keep saying it's fixed, but sometimes Pink is a little more useful, sometimes Black).
    (See above for links to the API.)

    "Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

  • Also you can get an ogre pet whistle in either fireheart rise or Iron marches, that gives you a second pet basically for 15-30 minutes. So you could possibly get a pet that has CC as well, though you can't control it at all.

  • @bearshaman.3421 said:
    Also you can get an ogre pet whistle in either fireheart rise or Iron marches, that gives you a second pet basically for 15-30 minutes. So you could possibly get a pet that has CC as well, though you can't control it at all.

    Double-click to call an ogre pet to aid you for 5 minutes.

    (the cooldown is 30 minutes; the actual pet lasts only 5)

    "Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

  • Henry.5713Henry.5713 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2018

    In case anyone cares about the actual numbers:
    Pink Moa - 200 Defiance bar damage
    Black Moa - 3 x 100 Defiance bar damage
    Electric Wyvern - up to 4 x 232 (+232 from a passive skill) Defiance bar damage
    Rock Gazelle - 232 (+200 from a passive skill) Defiance bar damage

    Pink and Black Moa are indeed different. Electric Wyvern is great on big targets, the Rock Gazelle on small ones. Both provide additonal CC with their passive skills such as the wyvern's Wing Buffet for an extra 232.

    Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something. ~ Robert Heinlein

  • Biff.5312Biff.5312 Member ✭✭✭✭

    A related question would be: is the cc of your pet as important as for example the buffs it can give when you're in a large group encounter? Is there some consensus that cc is the overriding concern?

  • @Biff.5312 said:
    A related question would be: is the cc of your pet as important as for example the buffs it can give when you're in a large group encounter? Is there some consensus that cc is the overriding concern?

    Why do you need a "consensus" to decide what you want your pet to do?

  • Fluffball.8307Fluffball.8307 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @MachineManXX.9746 said:

    @Biff.5312 said:
    A related question would be: is the cc of your pet as important as for example the buffs it can give when you're in a large group encounter? Is there some consensus that cc is the overriding concern?

    Why do you need a "consensus" to decide what you want your pet to do?

    If a lot of people with more experience than you all agree on something, it's worth listening to what they say and why (something the world seems to be straying further and further away from as google makes everyone a self-described expert with infinite knowledge and experience. :) )

    If he were already an expert on using pets efficiently, he wouldn't be asking for help here.

  • @Fluffball.8307 said:

    @MachineManXX.9746 said:

    @Biff.5312 said:
    A related question would be: is the cc of your pet as important as for example the buffs it can give when you're in a large group encounter? Is there some consensus that cc is the overriding concern?

    Why do you need a "consensus" to decide what you want your pet to do?

    If a lot of people with more experience than you all agree on something, it's worth listening to what they say and why (something the world seems to be straying further and further away from as google makes everyone a self-described expert with infinite knowledge and experience. :) )

    If he were already an expert on using pets efficiently, he wouldn't be asking for help here.

    Well, the OP was specifically asking about CC pets. I took Biff's comment as suggesting he should use Buffing pets over CC pets. If I understood that correctly, then why would the OP care about buffing pets when he apparently already knows what he wants it to do?

    Now if Biff was actually asking a question, then I misunderstood and my comment was wrong and should be ignored.

  • Biff.5312Biff.5312 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Now if Biff was actually asking a question, then I misunderstood and my comment was wrong and should be ignored.

    I was actually asking a question. I want to know whether it is known that cc is the best feature to be concerned with when choosing a pet, or if there might be better choices based on things like dps or buffing effects.

  • Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Biff.5312 said:

    Now if Biff was actually asking a question, then I misunderstood and my comment was wrong and should be ignored.

    I was actually asking a question. I want to know whether it is known that cc is the best feature to be concerned with when choosing a pet, or if there might be better choices based on things like dps or buffing effects.

    it depends on the situation boss 3 in wing 4 you want cc pets since they get a break bar every 10%
    the 2 boss in the same wing no break bar so tiger for fury is better there.
    Its the same everywere else sometimes cc pets are better sometimes the buff ones.

  • Yeah, sometimes it's imperative to break a bar as fast as possible and some pets do that nicely. That's the thing, pets are so versatile and there are almost endless reasons to use a different pet. Every situation is different.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.