Precursor Crafting Allowed Only Once?

A couple of years ago, I crafted the Legend staff towards making the legendary staff the Bifrost. Ended up selling it on the Trading Post. Decided a couple of months ago to recraft. Spent several weeks collecting and remaking components. I got all the way to the very last stage then notice came up saying "You have already crafted this item." I didn't get any notices prior to this to not proceed any further so now am stuck with the final account bound components of: Essence of Rainbows, Spirit of the Perfected Staff, Carved Tear Drop and Carved Beam. Am I SOL or can I find some way to use these items? Since I now know that I can craft a particular precursor only once per account, is there any way I can transfer the components to someone else or another account to be used? On the side, really unfair that I was allowed to get all the way to the final stage before being shut down.

At the moment it is only possible to craft each precursor once. I think Anet are looking at changing that in future, but there's no guarantee they will, and it might be a long time coming and might use a different system so I wouldn't wait around for it.

I'm surprised you're able to craft all the component parts again though. I have to admit I've never checked but I thought it was only the parts which could be used multiple times (like the Legendary Inscription) which could be crafted again.

I recommend contacting Support (there's a link at the top of this page) to explain that you didn't realise you could only craft the precursor once and now you're stuck with all these very expensive components you can't use. They might be able to refund at least some of the gold or materials you spend on them. (Plus it helps show Anet that the current system is a problem, I'm sure you're not the only one who has ended up in this situation but if no one ever tells them they may think it's not an issue.)

Except apparently it isn't - the OP was able to get 2nd copies of all of the parts needed to craft a 2nd precursor, even the ones which come from achievements. You're just not allowed to use the crafting recipe to combine them again. The recipe for the precursor has a note at the bottom, where time-gated materials have the count-down to the next time you can craft one, saying "You have already crafted this item".

I suspect that is because the final components are relatively cheap. The majority of the cost of precursor crafting is the Tier 2 achievement - where you have to craft hundreds of component parts of that weapon (e.g. staff heads and staff shafts) using every tier of material. But once you've done that once you can buy the achievement rewards from Grandmaster Craftsman Hobbs for 1g 14s 32c each. (This was put in as a fix for people losing or deleting the achievement rewards, so they didn't have to keep contacting Support to get them back.)

So if it was possible to make multiple precursors you could just keep crafting them, relatively inexpensively, and sell them for a huge profit...at least until everyone else caught onto the idea and the price of precursors crashed completely.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

@Oglaf.1074 said:Except that it totally is. You need to salvage the “spirit” of the experiment tiers to completely craft it - and those tiers are once per account because achievements/collections.

Nope. You can rebuy these archievement components from grandmaster craftsman. I had the same issue when i sold my first Dusk and then wanted to craft it for myself again. I got all components (including Essence of the End from mastercraftsman instead of archievement) and came to a final stop when I tried to craft Dusk itself. Luckily I can reuse most stuff again for Dawn.I would also like to see that you can recraft Precursor weapons, but its now 2021 and ANet still did not change it, so I guess this will not happen at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to do Twice-Told Legend, if you can only craft it once. You'd have to just do First Generation weapons and you'd have to use the dropped precursors or one dropped precursor and one crafted of the same. Still, Would have loved to have had two Astralaria's on my ranger for Axe/Axe, but now it pretty much says I can't. It's not like we're gonna sell the 2nd gens since we can't. Overall the costs are still up there, and it really shouldn't effect anything that much at all.

@KeyOrion.9506 said:Hard to do Twice-Told Legend, if you can only craft it once. You'd have to just do First Generation weapons and you'd have to use the dropped precursors or one dropped precursor and one crafted of the same. Still, Would have loved to have had two Astralaria's on my ranger for Axe/Axe, but now it pretty much says I can't. It's not like we're gonna sell the 2nd gens since we can't. Overall the costs are still up there, and it really shouldn't effect anything that much at all.

You could make 2 Frostfang for almost the same cost that another Astralaria would cost you.

The legendary items need to be account bound for being able to get Twice-Told Legend, thus there is almost no scenario where you can sell any legendary (the exception being Twilight and Sunrise, of which either could be crafted twice, used to get TTL then forging one or both of them into Eternity and selling that off).

Yah but the 2nd gen are pretty much account bound. And if I was stuck with doing Twice-Told Legend, i'd probably choose the 1st gen daggers instead, since it would be a matching set. There's very, very few weapons you can have and present as a matching set on certain characters for main and offhand.

@Linken.6345 said:Do frostfang and reskin it with astralia skin.

This.

Should have specifically mentioned this because that's what I was refering to when ststing: you can make 2 Frostfang for the price of 1 Astralaria.

If you want the Astralaria skin, fine (I have it too). Then instead of makeing a 2nd Astralaria, just make 2 Frostfang. The cost is near identical, but you end up with 3 legendary weapons total instead of 2, and TTL.