I just downloaded this game after a looong time away from it. I've completely forgotten how to play and just deleted most of my old characters as I had no idea what I was doing with any of them and a fresh start to relearn the skills/gameplay seemed like a good idea. However, I don't have a ton of time to play so I want to focus my time on one character that matches what I'm looking for most closely.
Things I want in a character:
- Range damage - Sadly, I feel that this game's combat becomes really messy really quickly with the the debuffs/buffs/aoe spam happening everywhere so I want a class that can be effective without being in the very muck of it all. If I get hit, I at least want an idea of what is hitting me.
- Complexity - With MMOs in general, I have to feel some kind of challenge in combat as it is the thing that you will be doing most of the time. Simple combat = meh. So I'd like something that requires my brain to be engaged in what's going on.
- Strong Movement - I am a sucker for variety in a character's ability to move from A to B. That way, even if I am terrible at doing damage, I can at least feel like I have options to get away/confuse the opponent. Simply running/jumping/rolling doesn't cut it.
- Surviveability - Whether it is through slipperiness or innate stats/abilities, I'd like to live for at least few seconds. Glass cannons need not apply.
Things I don't need in a character:
- Max DPS - I've gotten over this. I don't really care about killing everything as long as I can contribute.
I played a lot with the mesmer/elementalist/engineer years ago so I am tempted to go that way again, but then again, I don't really know anything about the new classes/specializations so my whole understanding might be flawed. I'm looking for any opinions on class specializations that meet the above criteria. Hopefully I'll see something that I like and I can get back into this gorgeous game for a bit. Thanks!