New playable races study - Choose your favorite

Lonami.2987

@Rubberduckgillespie.9854 said:Well it's pretty good, so until/unless Anet puts out some lore of there own I'll go with yours.

* flattered* Low-key tempted to make lore blurbs for all the other mounts (skins) now :flushed: --and ranger pets. :grimace:

I'd like to thank years of watching David Attenborough and David Suzuki nature docs as well as reading books by Jane Goodall, Bridget Stutchbury, and E.O. Wilson for inspiring me to in-game stare at pixels and come up with elaborate back-story on fictional creatures research griffons and bring them to the forefront of Tyrian conservation efforts. #savethegriffons #dontpraisejoko #saynotopoaching #boycottsaleofgriffonclaw #savethedesert

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So do these Tengu have clipping issues? As far as I can see, their tail feathers are very visible and not in the way of thier current clothing. If that is such a big problem you could swat two flies with one swing, finally solve the clipping issue that drives so many charr players mad and shut down that topic once and for all.

@Reincarnatie.7254 said:

@"Rubberduckgillespie.9854" said:Well it's pretty good, so until/unless Anet puts out some lore of there own I'll go with yours.

flattered*
Low-key tempted to make lore blurbs for all the other mounts (skins) now :flushed: --and ranger pets. :grimace:

I'd like to thank years of watching David Attenborough and David Suzuki nature docs as well as reading books by Jane Goodall, Bridget Stutchbury, and E.O. Wilson for inspiring me to
in-game stare at pixels and come up with elaborate back-story on fictional creatures
research griffons and bring them to the forefront of Tyrian conservation efforts. #savethegriffons #dontpraisejoko #saynotopoaching #boycottsaleofgriffonclaw #savethedesert

Yes do all the mounts! I always wondered, because the lore explanation for everything else in the BLTC was that they made it, but you can't "make" new kinds of animals. Like is the dajkah lantern skimmer actually found in dajkah? And if so, when/where was passage into dajkah opened? At the very least I'd like to see these skins in the game somewhere. We had NPC mounts in PoF, they should add some to new maps (wild animals) for immersion and consistency. But anyway, please do the other mounts!

I have to admit that, with their next expansion they are going to have to put out a bit more then what HoT provided, and a new race or class often offers that.

But whatever race they added would need to fit into the expansion.

But a new race would offer quite a bit of buzz.

• 2 weeks later...

Since the release of Siren's Landing, one race that I'd actually love to see are the Unchained: Orrians fully freed from Zhaitan's grasp, their sane spirits restored to their now-undead bodies. They'd be simple to implement (same rig as humans, sylvari, norn), have tons of customization options (ranging from basically preserved humans like the Priest of Lyssa: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/6/6b/Risen_Priestess_of_Lyssa.jpg to, y'know, gross spooky undead; lots of possible coral, bone, rot bits, etc), and have a potentially really cool story -- the Orrians coming to terms with their new existence, reconciling with their past. This would necessitate a new Personal Story, since they couldn't be in the group that fought Zhaitan (well, barring having been an experiment in freeing Risen a la Glint that happened way early), and their personal story could START in an instance in Orr just before the Cataclysm, right when they died.

@"Zaklex.6308" said:Not going to happen and it's not really necessary to liven up the game world...ArenaNet has already stated the reasons why, as posted about, so stop saying everyone wants a new race when it's really only certain people, including those that keep putting up threads and polls.

Why not complain about people pulling up older threads? To complain about "keep putting up threads and polls" on a more than 1-month old thread seems rather futile.

Tengu - Absolutely!! there already space for them within current map but the workload for ANET in a fairly old game. However - i think vet gw players would agree, playing since 2005 will carry on playing this until we die!!

Largos would be 2nd choice if more story lore comes out for them.

maybe off topic but in an ideal world what i would love to see - aswell as continuing on Living world story line: -

1. proposed WvW changes go ahead to turn WvW on its head for the better. create alliance loyalty
  2. Attain pips in EOTM like BLs and EB does = make it play a part on the WvW score/ matchup
  3. Living world Season 1 repeatables.
  4. Expansion to cantha and playable race Tengu.

I think if there was another profession for Factions..... what about a light armored ritualist/ Priest - for holy smites, spawning spirit spammers and restoration - a cross between GW1 ritualists and Smiting monks! Elites skills from a faction expansion to work around the Envoys we saw from GW1 factions...

• 3 weeks later...

Let's assume that new playable races are really expensive to make, and that they aren't viable with the 30€ expansion pack model.

So, what if we got them through a different pack format?

For example, Tengu Race Pack, for 20€. It would add playable tengu, two new starting zones for tengu, and a few goodies, like a race change so you can transform one of your characters to a tengu for free, and access to some new armor and weapon skins.

These packs could be released when they're ready, or come together with an expansion. That way, when a new expansion+race pack releases, you can choose what to buy. Maybe you don't care about the expansion and only want the race pack, or maybe you don't care about the race pack and only want the expansion. If you buy both, you get a discount.

I think this could work really well, and give alternate ways to support the game outside of the gem store.

@"STIHL.2489" said:if it's what the payers want.. then Anet should start moving in the direction to make a new playable race. at least with this idea.. everyone could enjoy it.

Well, "new playable race" won the top spot in this next expansion seller poll, so yeah, I'd say there's a good demand for a new playable race.

@Reincarnatie.7254 said:Tengu avian race to complement the glorious griffons~!

That's really awesome, thanks for posting it!

If it was going to happen, Tengu is the only one that makes much sense to me. However, I don't think there's any lack of variety now in the number of race/profession combos. There's simply no need for a new race, and given that there's no particular racial bonuses in the game, it really seems pointless.

New playable races study - Choose your favorite

Bird race - TenguVery doable They have existed in GW in one way or another and have a place already in the game.

Humanoid race - LargosHumanoid is not a great reference to Largos more of an Aqua race they are unique and could also become a decent race, but only after going to their world and discovering more about them something for the future.

Elemental race - Stone DwarfNo They killed off Dwarves at the end of Eye of the North because of the very good story in Guildwars about The great dwarf and the great destroyer fights

Mammal race - KodanNot a good choice too peaceful more advisors than anything they also do not have many differences between each other would be kinda like the Panda's in that other game.

Reptilian race - Naga, Forgotten, KraitThe forgotten are an old desert race which have a rich history even have helped other races where they could. Even though the forgotten are snake race it had nearly died out in the crystal desert only a handful survived to the end of guild wars. The Naga and Krait are snake races that have always caused problem and too similar to each other to choose as a new race

Amphibian race - Hylek, Itzel, Nuhoch, HeketThese are also too similar to each other to go beyond the regions we find them in

Primitive race - Grawl, Ogre, Quaggan, Skritt, Harpy, Jotun, TrollAlthough these races are unique in themselves the Jotun used to be expert magic users and were much smarter than they are now. Having to struggle with communication does not make a great new race leave them as they are.

Advanced race - Centaur, DredgeWhat makes these races Advanced? The dredge are more like a hive race it takes strong leaders to guide them to whatever that leaders goal is they well follow blindly The centaur could be considered a mammal race still not a good choice for now

Magical race - Mursaat, Seer, MargoniteIf you do not have Hot or did not play gw you would not know that the Mursaat race is all but dead. The seer were all very secretive and more of an ancient race The margonites should of been found in PoF they are a race based on Abbadon. but could become aware unlike other dragon or god undead type creatures. Razah was one of those Still too few to make a good race.

Something else altogetherWho knows sometime in the far future they could come up with something.

So Tengu would be my choice at this time since they already have a huge area that would be cool to explore named the dominion of the winds. They can be and have been enemies, but also allies in the game.

@Erasculio.2914 said:

@"Alga.6498" said:I mean, it can't really be
THAT
hard to create a new race? Take a look on WoW for an example... what's the difference for GW2?

Money.

WoW was a massive success for Blizzard, which was already a juggernaut in the gaming industry. They became so successful that they could afford to do a lot of things in their game.

Meanwhile, ArenaNet is a small (if not in number of employees, in the amount of resources they have) studio surviving on a single, niche game that is five years old.

Which means, ArenaNet is not going to do a lot of things they could do (nor, IMO, a lot of things they should do). Apparently their revenue is now based on focusing on new content (living world releases and expansions) and on monetizing things on the Gem Store. Which means:
  • ArenaNet will not go back to the core game and rework content that is outdated/aged poorly/was poorly implemented in the first place. WoW reworked their core game in one of their expansion, but this is way out of reach for ArenaNet.
  • ArenaNet will not fix dungeons; and by "fix" I don't mean reworking old mechanics, I mean fixing years-old game breaking bugs. They cannot afford it.
  • The Gem Store will always have more weapon skins than the real game. ArenaNet will never invest so much on rewards available in-game as they do on things displayed in the Gem Store. ArenaNet has to do this to survive.
  • Likewise, don't expect things like glider skins, outfits and mount skins to be made available in-game for the majority of players. I'm sure ArenaNet would love to, but they can't afford to not monetize those things.
  • ArenaNet will not add a new race, because this requires redoing a lot of the old content that they are not going to address again. Voice acting for the old content by itself would severely push their limited resources.
  • ArenaNet will not do big changes to core game mechanics (like removing stats from items and turning them into attribute points for players to assign). They can't afford big changes like this when they have to dedicate everything to new content and to the Gem Store.

In many ways, ArenaNet feels like half a developer making half a game. It's fun to speculate and discuss things like this topic, but in reality Guild Wars 2 is not going to have things like this; they can't afford it. ArenaNet needs goodwill of their players, low expectations and people willing to accept subpar support for everything other than the newest release because, well, that's the best they can do.

Well you are putting Anet down comparing it too Blizzard like that saying they do a bad job because they do not have the resources that the most greedy game company in the MMO market has. If that is true then why does blizzard's MMO run on crap computers. The reason Wow is successful is because people like you empower them with monthly payments to play their game. Money is not an issue for Anet. coming up with ideas as a team can be of course. About the money part I think 34 billion Korean Won ( $31 million ) in profit) just in the last quarter is quite a bit for Anet to come up with great new content easily. Comparing the core mechanics of the game Blizzards WoW is far behind Arenanets Guildwars 2 even Guildwars was far ahead in design graphically. WoW is also ran in 32 bit where Guild wars 2 is ran in 64 bit again more advanced . There are 32 bit versions if your computer has that only. They went to 64 bit without needing to remake the game. at all. Yes Guild wars 2 is now over 5 years old and keeps getting better unlike WoW which got a small upgrade in graphics a couple years ago after 12 or so years Now I am not comparing the cartoonish Wow graphics that is fine, but could just be better detailed than it is. But wait no they won't make them better because of the fear of losing customer's with low rate computers

Besides there are three types of games people compare too. First is World of Warcraft of course its kinda like the standard to copy why come up with new ideas when you have the basis already. Guild wars 2 new or tried idea's that may or may not work together and is different from the standard altogether. Then of course Asian MMO's which are more grindy than most.This does not make any of those type bad or good just different

None of the above?

Let them actually get all the bugs fixed with current races/classes/game first.

Charr clip everywhere. Slyvari have just weird shoulders. Any Race Revenant is magically cut off from racial skills (really, let us use em, and if we put in that slot that slot don't swap on legend swap... I want my Norn Rev to still channel Raven damnit!).

Every time I loot something I want my Skritt platoon to chant stuff stuff stuff! Having a small group of 6 Skritt makes the most sense, no need to fit armor pieces since each Skritt would be carrying a huge armor piece, you need at least 6 to get their intelligence high enough to associate with the other races.

Have their personal story start in that camp in Caledon Forest with your platoon of Skritt being the entourage of the future King of Skrittsburg having the level 20 story establishing them selves in Skrittsburg, have their Vigil/Priory/Whisperer intro quests piggy back of the Asura/Sylvari ones.

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:Every time I loot something I want my Skritt platoon to chant stuff stuff stuff! Having a small group of 6 Skritt makes the most sense, no need to fit armor pieces since each Skritt would be carrying a huge armor piece, you need at least 6 to get their intelligence high enough to associate with the other races.

Have their personal story start in that camp in Caledon Forest with your platoon of Skritt being the entourage of the future King of Skrittsburg having the level 20 story establishing them selves in Skrittsburg, have their Vigil/Priory/Whisperer intro quests piggy back of the Asura/Sylvari ones.

Imagine playing a group of skritt as one character. like one gets helmet and shoulders, the other gets chest and legs, and the third gets gloves and boots. xD

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:Every time I loot something I want my Skritt platoon to chant stuff stuff stuff! Having a small group of 6 Skritt makes the most sense, no need to fit armor pieces since each Skritt would be carrying a huge armor piece, you need at least 6 to get their intelligence high enough to associate with the other races.

Imagine playing a group of skritt as one character. like one gets helmet and shoulders, the other gets chest and legs, and the third gets gloves and boots. xD

Allods online did it ages ago with the Gibberlings. So I can definitely imagine a group of skritt as a playable character, with one 'boss' Skritt.