Disable tool tips during combat

nopoet.2960

This is a really simple request. You know the text that pops up when you hover over a skill with your mouse? Please turn it off during combat. I can't be the only one that ends up with a wall of text right where the enemy should be. This is especially a problem when I'm trying to interrupt. I hold my pointer over the skill waiting for the right moment and suddenly feel like I'm playing a MUD. Anyway, I respectfully request that this be addressed. I'll buy some gems if you do.

• Like 1

@"AliamRationem.5172" said:I'm not opposed to the suggestion, but why use the mouse to activate skills in the first place? Wouldn't keybinds/mouse buttons work better?

"...when I'm trying to interrupt.", does seem to imply a bit higher level of play huh?

Improved QoL for all is always welcome though.

@AliamRationem.5172 said:I'm not opposed to the suggestion, but why use the mouse to activate skills in the first place? Wouldn't keybinds/mouse buttons work better?

Not everyone has or wants some gigantic mouse with 15 thumb buttons, or mucks with the keybinds.

More options are better. I'd prefer a brief time delay on mouseover, even just 1 second rather than disabling skill tips in combat entirely.

@Rauderi.8706 said:

@AliamRationem.5172 said:I'm not opposed to the suggestion, but why use the mouse to activate skills in the first place? Wouldn't keybinds/mouse buttons work better?

Not everyone has or wants some gigantic mouse with 15 thumb buttons, or mucks with the keybinds.

More options are better. I'd prefer a brief time delay on mouseover, even just 1 second rather than disabling skill tips in combat entirely.

Ummmm I have a mouse that can only click once at a time. If your getting stuck. Leave 1,2,3,4,5 alone. And for 6,7,8,9,0 instead make it like control+1, control+2 etc. that’s simple. All I have is a regular ancient mouse and a regular keyboard like everyone else. Nothing special. If you can’t accommodate. Key bind everything so you can click and memorize everything so it’s no struggle.

You should try out the action cam. Clicking is a very subpar way of playing. It's really easy to get used to. I set my keys up as so:

1-LMB, 2-Q, 3-E, 4-R, 5-F, heal-T, utility are 1 through 3, elite-4, F1-Z, F2-X, F3-C, F4-B (I don't play a class that needs more F keys than that), rolls is set to MB4 and weapon swap on MB5 (if you have the buttons).

It may be strange to get used to at first, but it didn't take me long. You will see how much better you are using the action cam.

• Like 1

I've been playing mmo's since Everquest. I've tried changing but old habits are hard to break (it's all muscle memory now). If anyone plays a Spellbreaker you know the wall of text that is Full Counter and it's in the exact wrong place. Anyway there are lots of ways to fix. Off in combat is what I want to see but I'm open to a delay like mentioned above.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been asking for an option to disable these Tooltips or skills descriptions (name it like you want) since the 1st week of GW2. Even in GW1 you could disable these mouse-over tooltips in the skillbars. I'm still bedazzled why they didn't put the sames options as GW1. Anyways... I still hope someday they will add it! That would make my day!

• 4 weeks later...

@Newteck.6403 said:I have been asking for an option to disable these Tooltips or skills descriptions (name it like you want) since the 1st week of GW2. Even in GW1 you could disable these mouse-over tooltips in the skillbars. I'm still bedazzled why they didn't put the sames options as GW1. Anyways... I still hope someday they will add it! That would make my day!

I know right! Maybe none of the developers use their mouse to play. If the answer is that we shouldn't be clicking why did they give us those big clickable buttons. I stopped playing my Spellbreaker because it was to frustrating. It's still an issue on my core warrior but less so because timing isn't so important.

Wait, do people still click on skills? Make keybinds and teach yourself to play without clicking, it will take a week or so to adjust but you'll wonder how you were ever able to play while clicking on skills. Seriously, just do it and go through the adjustment period of learning how to not click. It's super worth it.

@Rauderi.8706 said:

I have a regular keyboard and mouse. It's really not hard to learn, just takes time to adjust. Don't be stubborn, you're only hurting yourself by refusing to change - seriously, just force yourself to use keybinds. It'll be difficult and confusing at first, but your muscle memory will eventually develop to be able to do it without looking and you'll never need to go back to clicking in any MMO ever again. I use 1 2 3 4 5 for the weapon skills, then Shift 1 2 3 4 5 for the F skills, then Shift Q E F T for the utility skills.

Before I got the masteries for the mushrooms and updraft, I found very annoying those tooltips about the missing mastery. A hint is nice, but when the text-box remains on screen for a very long time and you must click on it to close it because it covers the mobs, it's really bothering.Most of us probably forgot about it because they already got the MP, but when you are levelling, they are annoying.Sorry if a bit OT.

@Echoherb.6528 said:The game is quite clearly designed to be used with keyboard commands, which is why action cam exists for example. In fact why don't you just force yourself to use action cam for a while so you can learn to not click anymore.

A - Not even relevant to the thread.B - Why would you even use action cam? Clipping peripheral vision is a great way to end up dead.

@Rauderi.8706 said:

@Echoherb.6528 said:The game is quite clearly designed to be used with keyboard commands, which is why action cam exists for example. In fact why don't you just force yourself to use action cam for a while so you can learn to not click anymore.

A - Not even relevant to the thread.B - Why would you even use action cam? Clipping peripheral vision is a great way to end up dead.

How is it not relevant to the thread? You wouldn't have tooltip issues if you learned to use keybinds instead of clicking skills. And action cam is amazing.