Official Mount Adoption Feedback Thread [merged]

Can't they just change this so we can chose what skin we want to buy instead of having it random? They could just reset every unlocked skin from the mount adoption and refund the gems to those who already bought them. Then people can rebuy the skins they actually want and no one would loose.

They should introduce a new shop currency and Lower the cost.

Emeralds and gems ie.

Gems can be converted from golds at will and viceversa.Emeralds can be converted from gems in a limited daily or monthly quantity, and will be the new cash currency.

New skins will cost half the current price, and could be purchased only with Emeralds.After 1 year, the old items will eventually return avaible also with gem purchase.

New skins will cost less and would be purchased mostly with cash, without the need of huge Sums.

• 1 month later...

Beside GW2 I am playing Warframe and must say that I rather spend my money over there for a Frame/Character as here for an Mount Skin. As I do know there what I get.It's an much better relationship with the artists like this. And I think I would probably spend more money on skins to support the game if the relationship has not this predatory loot system involved.I have sadly spend money on this, but will not spend more if this kind of business behavior is not changed.

I will probably only ever buy the mount licences, i've already bought 4 which is less than 1 mount and I am very happy with what I have got out of it for the price and will buy more just to get some more but it's a shame that we can't have all mounts added to licences and being single purchase available at a higher price too.

I expected to get 4 basic skins just for the dye channels (main thing I wanted) but what I got was in order of opening; water effect skimmer (really cool effects and noises), some striped griffin I can't use yet, a basic raptor and a fire griffin which I also can't use yet but was very happy to get anyway.

I would prefer it if things like gliders and outfits also had this option of obtaining them too, through a much cheaper way but with random rewards as it would then be my preferred method of spending gems.

@Odinsson.1953 said:Beside GW2 I am playing Warframe and must say that I rather spend my money over there for a Frame/Character as here for an Mount Skin. As I do know there what I get.It's an much better relationship with the artists like this. And I think I would probably spend more money on skins to support the game if the relationship has not this predatory loot system involved.I have sadly spend money on this, but will not spend more if this kind of business behavior is not changed.

I've played 1/10th of the time i spent in GW2 and discounting buying the game i've spent probably the same amount of money there than in GW2.First they keep giving me 75% discounts on purchases, so i usually go and buy the highest packages (in gw2 terms it's like buying the 2000 gem pack for less than the price of 400 gems).Second there's Tennogen, knowing that my money also goes to another player getting some back for their awesome mods is cool.Third, all player to player purchases are done in their equivalent to gems, so it's actually handy having some plat to make more plat.Fourth, and this si the most important: Everything not cosmetic there is easily obtainable in the game, and everything else is straightforward. There's no RNG items, there's no weird packaging of items to make you spend more money, there's no limited dye slots on items to make you buy equivalent quality items for real money. When you buy a skin, you buy it because you like that one more. Not because it's the only alternative you have to getting more dye channels.Also buying premium dyes you buy a whole pallette of dyes, not a RNG dye with a higher chance of getting a common in-game dye than the stuff you want.

GW2 is an awesome game, but there's a lot of predatory and exploitative items in it's gemstore.

@DarcShriek.5829 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:Gambling is a tax on stupidity or however that saying goes...

Well, fortunately mount adoption isn't gambling, so none of the people that purchased one is stupid.That depends on the legal definition in your country. In mine it is already dangerously close to qualifying for it, and
could
be considered one depending on government's interpretation.

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

@"Odinsson.1953" said:Beside GW2 I am playing Warframe and must say that I rather spend my money over there for a Frame/Character as here for an Mount Skin. As I do know there what I get.It's an much better relationship with the artists like this. And I think I would probably spend more money on skins to support the game if the relationship has not this predatory loot system involved.I have sadly spend money on this, but will not spend more if this kind of business behavior is not changed.

I've played 1/10th of the time i spent in GW2 and discounting buying the game i've spent probably the same amount of money there than in GW2.First they keep giving me 75% discounts on purchases, so i usually go and buy the highest packages (in gw2 terms it's like buying the 2000 gem pack for less than the price of 400 gems).Second there's Tennogen, knowing that my money also goes to another player getting some back for their awesome mods is cool.Third, all player to player purchases are done in their equivalent to gems, so it's actually handy having some plat to make more plat.Fourth, and this si the most important: Everything not cosmetic there is easily obtainable in the game, and everything else is straightforward. There's no RNG items, there's no weird packaging of items to make you spend more money, there's no limited dye slots on items to make you buy equivalent quality items for real money. When you buy a skin, you buy it because you like that one more. Not because it's the only alternative you have to getting more dye channels.Also buying premium dyes you buy a whole pallette of dyes, not a RNG dye with a higher chance of getting a common in-game dye than the stuff you want.

GW2 is an awesome game, but there's a lot of predatory and exploitative items in it's gemstore.

Exactly my point. But you explained this better than me.Rebecca Ford the Community Director of DE has hammered in every single employee at DE that the Players are not "Fans" they are "Citizen". So you treat them with more respect.The exchange between playerbase and Developers is wide open and helps the game a lot.Every Community Manager for any Company should take hard look and open mind to learn from this company.Don't get me wrong I love this game and the artist who work hard on this. But the decisions of the Management I cannot understand. If you want that this game has long term relationship with the customers please change the attitude."Just be better".

In the end it will also make sense financially.

@Odinsson.1953 said:

@Odinsson.1953 said:Beside GW2 I am playing Warframe and must say that I rather spend my money over there for a Frame/Character as here for an Mount Skin. As I do know there what I get.It's an much better relationship with the artists like this. And I think I would probably spend more money on skins to support the game if the relationship has not this predatory loot system involved.I have sadly spend money on this, but will not spend more if this kind of business behavior is not changed.

Exactly my point. But you explained this better than me.Rebecca Ford the Community Director of DE has hammered in every single employee at DE that the Players are not "Fans" they are "Citizen". So you treat them with more respect.The exchange between playerbase and Developers is wide open and helps the game a lot.Every Community Manager for any Company should take hard look and open mind to learn from this company.Don't get me wrong I love this game and the artist who work hard on this. But the decisions of the Management I cannot understand. If you want that this game has long term relationship with the customers please change the attitude."Just be better".

In the end it will also make sense financially.

Rebecca is awesome!I actually miss playing WF but haven't had much time for games, not even GW2. Should go bakc one of these days.

You're right, and while i don't think that in general Arena Net aren't that bad. They do forget to keep that philosophy going some times, and have incredibly disrespectful (in my opinion) behaviours sometimes. Thankfully that's not the norm. But there have been a lot of very questionable choices in the past that are incredibly dismissive of their most veteran players (which sometimes it feels they take for granted):

• Heroic Edition: Basically they started selling the game cheaper, but with more items than what you'd get if you had pre-ordered, and they never chose to retroactively award those same items to current players (I got mine due to a bug on their part, basically i got in on the first HoT beta, and when they reverted the game back, they could only revert it to Heroic Edition, so people like me got the items, but most people that bought the game on launch or pre-ordered got shafted on that.
  • Every decision after deciding to go F2P, were simply dismissive of everyone that had paid for core GW2, and it took a lot of outrage for them to give us a crappy character slot if you pre-ordered HoT.I could go on... But honestly, anyone who's honest with themselves and doesn't have a short memory span knows what else they did (including mount-gate and subsequent mount monetization).

TLDR: Most of Arena Net are awesome people, and love the game and the players. The exception being, apparently, the people in charge of monetization and the gemstore.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I want to add that I don't mind the mount adoption thing, I actually think its fun to get a random one (as long as the option to buy the one you want for more money is there), however I HATE that you cannot at least pick the TYPE of mount. I didn't know this my first time buying an adoption and I ended up with a skin for a mount I didn't have. I think thats silly and they don't lose any money by at least just letting you pick the mount TYPE. Its especially ridiculous when you are paying $60 for both expansions.....when most MMOs inslude the mounts for free. Like I said, I don't mind paying, but the not being able to choose which mount is ridiculous. I also think you should be able to earn SOME skins in game, especially since we paid for the mounts outright and its not like they were free. They can still do random skins for each mount type and its the same premise. Its REALLY not worth it when they lump all the mounts in there like that, thats just silly. They should do the random skin thing and you just select which mount you want the random skin for, easy peasy.

• 3 years later...
On 9/13/2018 at 1:45 AM, MckinneyMini.9406 said:

I want to add that I don't mind the mount adoption thing, I actually think its fun to get a random one (as long as the option to buy the one you want for more money is there), however I HATE that you cannot at least pick the TYPE of mount. I didn't know this my first time buying an adoption and I ended up with a skin for a mount I didn't have. I think thats silly and they don't lose any money by at least just letting you pick the mount TYPE. Its especially ridiculous when you are paying $60 for both expansions.....when most MMOs inslude the mounts for free. Like I said, I don't mind paying, but the not being able to choose which mount is ridiculous. I also think you should be able to earn SOME skins in game, especially since we paid for the mounts outright and its not like they were free. They can still do random skins for each mount type and its the same premise. Its REALLY not worth it when they lump all the mounts in there like that, thats just silly. They should do the random skin thing and you just select which mount you want the random skin for, easy peasy.

I agree, it would be nice if you could at least pick what type of mount you are getting a random skin for.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

To go off of what many others have said, I really do think they should add achievement mount skins. Not to replace their current mount adoption system, but to compliment it, to add to it. Because it is a company, and it's a free to play game so they do need sources of income and profit. But I definitely think they should add achievement mount skins to reward their players for putting the time in to play their game.

What would be a cool idea is if they had area exploration achievements that you can get race themed mount skins for. Like a Norn griffon, or an Asura Springer, and etc. They could make multiple of these achievements divided up in clusters of zones that surround each race's main city. They can even make some requirements for an achievement overlap with another if a race shares a zone with another. Since I know Asurans live in close proximity to the Sylvari, and etc.

• Like 1

Yeah .. as one time pay game  the skin are definitely source of income .  No money , no game operation.

If ANET change to monthly payment, then we got more headaches. Mostly will quit.

We can’t hope for achievements  mount skin to be look good than gem skin. Also we got standard skin once we got mount after finish quest

one option we can do is only trade gold to gem and pick the most want from license selection 

Bear in mind most of this topic is from November 2017, when apart from a couple of festival themed packs the only mount skins available were the ones in the original Mount Adoption Licence, which has no select license version.

The majority of players weren't objecting to paying for mount skins but to paying for a 1 in 30 chance at the skin you want. Once they added more options for buying a specific skin the objections died down, even though those are more expensive per skin.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jacqora.5301 said:

To go off of what many others have said, I really do think they should add achievement mount skins. Not to replace their current mount adoption system, but to compliment it

That sounds fine, and in fact we now have an example of this in the form of the Guildrider Warclaw. Its quality is on par with skins sold in the gem shop (not my style, but that's irrelevant).

The only difference I'd suggest for achievement-related mount skins is also allowing them to be purchased, since then you'd have three ways of getting one:
- Go do the specific content
- Save up gold by playing other content you prefer (and then trade it for gems to buy the skin)
- Purchase the skin outright with cash money

Implementing skins this way would hit the 'I prefer in-game rewards' 'I want to earn things by playing, but don't want to be forced into specific content' and the 'I prefer cosmetics I can buy' crowds. The first two encourage player retention/activity, and the latter provides direct income for ArenaNet.

The closest example we have of something like this would be, I think, Gen 1 legendaries which you can:
- Drop a precursor for and then finish via crafting
- Save up gold for by playing content you prefer (and then buy your weapon of choice off the TP)
- Purchase outright with gold obtained by purchasing gems with cash

People definitely have their preferences between these three methods of getting stuff; I just think it'd be nice for all three to be available for something like in-game mount skin rewards.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2