Please save progress inside story instances in case of lost connection!

BraKet.3570

This has got to be fixed! Have been playing for 10+ hours today without any disconnects anywhere except in Story missions (and usually the long ones with cut scenes that cannot be skipped through. It really makes GW2 painful to play. Have not disconnected anywhere else so it has to be something that is happening when playing cut scenes in missions. Have recently returned and purchased HoT and PoF and now really not looking forward to fighting through those story missions if this continues.

@Tolmos.8395 said:I've been begging for this since the game released. It ended up causing one of my friends to quit, and so this issue has been pretty near and dear to me ever since. An hour into a mission he wasn't enjoying, he got DCed. He could never bring himself to do the mission again, and without doing story stuff the game got boring for him. A month or so later he stopped logging in completely.

Honestly, it makes me nervous to do long missions. I got pretty antsy in the Zhaitan mission because of how long it was taking, thinking about how much I did NOT want to do it all over again if I got DCed. Rather than focusing on how much fun the mission was, I started focusing on how problematic it would be for me if I got DCed.

I missed this post before, and I wanted to say this is very close what happened to me when I quit the game a few years ago. I came back to GW2 because I wanted to see mounts (which are very cool I will admit), but I dread trying the storyline again. Reading your post, I realized the lack of progression saves have also been coloring my attitude toward the difficulty level of the Story content.

I had been thinking there should be an easier mode for the Story content. Now I see this idea was really just a way to get through the story chapters faster so there would less chance I would have to log out (or get disconnected) and lose all that progress. The story content is not too difficult to do but it is the length of the chapters without adequate progress saves that is the real cause of the fun-sapping aggravation.

As I've said, it is even worse since you have no idea how long any given chapter will be. I never know if I will be diving into a long part and wasting my time if I have to log out during the last 5 min of a 40 min long chapter. And if I have to spoil the plot by checking the wiki before doing a chapter, then there's no point in playing the story in the first place.

Some might say just block out an hour or more of time whenever you log into the game. Blocking out a completely uninterrupted hour of time may be easy for some, but it is not for others. Modern RPGs game allow players to save progress every 10 minutes or so, even if they are horror games like Resident Evil. Even online games with PvP gameplay do not have matches as long as some of the GW2 Story chapters I have seen. MMOs have always been behind when it comes to incorporating industry standards from other gaming genres, but saving progress in single player instances is one standard that is long overdue.

I'd say about 2/3's of my attempts to finish the prelude story section where you arrive at the sinking pyramids have ended in a DC requiring me to start all over.

Perhaps, additional checkpoints might help? I'm not sure.

I have run diagnostics on my net connection and ethernet port. Everything seems to be running fine. But it's been discouraging enough that I have quit taking my characters through this intro section.

One thing that will help is to turn your settings down, I've read alot of bug reports and many of these DCs are occuring during cinematics. This is likely because the cinematic is too intensive for your PC and the networking thread can't get enough CPU to keep sending and receiving data fluently.

Swapping to disk will cause the same thing, reduce the memory usage of the game by lowering the graphics settings.

--Asking for it to be fixed is pointless, we've been repeating it for five years now.. nothing.

Happened to me as well, disconnect to character screen at very end of the story TWICE in a row. also with a friend who just started playing the game. Not making a very good impression at all ANET. I just came back from a year hiatus and am considering leaving again due to this. The silence about this situation is just sad.

This bothers me as well. I tried fighting modremoth 10 times over, and mid battle I would get disconnected. Tried on multiple computers... same thing. I went in with a party of guildies.... and I got kicked but they finished it. I've given up on that.

With PoF I was hoping I wouldn't face this random disconnect issue, as LW S3 seemed to run smooth. But first instance fighting the herald of balth, guess what disconnected. 2nd run through it went through just fine. Never happened in the core game.

yes this has happened to me several times already, i thought it was just my internet, but there are frequent times when im watching a cinematic, when it finished, it comes back to my character but i cant move. Then a couple seconds later, it tells me that it disconnected. This is absolutely INFURIATING, almost done with the story but it dcs and now i gotta restart all over again!!!

Just came to say that I'm totally upset by the whole lack of remembering you checkpoint when you disconnect the game.In my case I don't have problem DC'ing, but it's insane to expect players to do the whole instances on one go without leaving their seat. I was doing the end chapter of HoT, and jezz it took forever, died multiple timed and then realized it was way too late 2:30am. So closed pc, and come back next day and have to do whole instance again. This is just dumb development. Save progress and at start of instance ask user to continue from last checkpoint or start again. As it is now is totally screwing the user experience. As if the insane difficulty wasn't ridiculous enough.

@Hexinx.1872 said:This bothers me as well. I tried fighting modremoth 10 times over, and mid battle I would get disconnected. Tried on multiple computers... same thing. I went in with a party of guildies.... and I got kicked but they finished it. I've given up on that.

My story exactly: i tried Hearts and Minds at least 8 times, beat it, and ALWAYS at the outro movie i get kicked to character select. Select character again and i am out of the instance, can't rejoin, don't get completion, everyone else does. Same with The Departing, beat the Eater of Souls, listen to Jokos monologue -> DC to char select. It's always AFTER you have beaten the mission when some NPC talk. Noticed the same in Buried Insight, cleared the lab of chaks, turn on the console in the dragon room -> DC. 4 times in a row.

Similar with fractals: no DC while doing fractals, but often AFTER we got the endchest i DC into char select. At least there i can rejoin the instance.

EDIT: i can play for hours and even days without DC if i play other content in GW2, so it's not my internet connection. It's ONLY in missions when NPC talk where i reliable DC, and seldom in fractals after doing the mission.

Tried -verify and -repair, tried -clientport, tried changing the MTU, nothing helped. Tried -log but there was no logfile where the documentation stated it would be.

@"Hannelore.8153" said:One thing that will help is to turn your settings down, I've read alot of bug reports and many of these DCs are occuring during cinematics. This is likely because the cinematic is too intensive for your PC and the networking thread can't get enough CPU to keep sending and receiving data fluently.

I might try that, but really, when Joko talks in The Departing there is not a whole lot going on and my PC is really beefy. But i will try this nonetheless... i still think it's something with netcode of the game as NPC dialogue seems to trigger it.

Just a few minutes ago i finished Buried Insight on the laptop of my girlfriend and got no DC. So either it is something with my computer or the fact she uses WLAN and i don't. I will try that too.

I really don't need a checkpoint option, i need a "rejoin story instance" option (even if i was the only one in it). Cause checkpoints would NOT help in my case as the DC ALWAYS happens at the same point of the mission.

@songless.2541 said:

@Hannelore.8153 said:One thing that will help is to turn your settings down, I've read alot of bug reports and many of these DCs are occuring during cinematics. This is likely because the cinematic is too intensive for your PC and the networking thread can't get enough CPU to keep sending and receiving data fluently.

I might try that, but really, when Joko talks in The Departing there is not a whole lot going on and my PC is really beefy. But i will try this nonetheless... i still think it's something with netcode of the game as NPC dialogue seems to trigger it.

Well, i just played Hearts and Minds and switched Graphics to lowest settings and did not get a disconnect at the outro movie. I will experiment with the graphic settings to see what exactly causes this...

Save would be fab - Always hold breath on last battle and getting out because more times than not - It is crash time - Fight area's are to small - To much gong on with continual flashing - Other than that have no real problems with disconnection -

@DreamyLove.8947 said:at gw1 ppl dc, will have a short time limit let they come back

idk why gw2 didn't

It didnt have this functionality at first (if i remember correct, playing 2005 early 2006). But i agree it should have this, just like when first login in ,accessing your character, you get disconnected that it closes correctly instead of a black screen with only alt-f4 to kill the still running game.

My husband disconnected during the first part of the story while I was running it. I finished it, then logged out and grouped up with him again. Had him start so he could try for the achievements. Got through it and started the second, then I disconnected and he is going on with it alone. Just done with this. Our internet is perfect. It is just this game. I was so excited for this new story, but now, I don't want to try, if I am going to have to do it alone That's not why I play this game. It's not worth the aggravation. at this point.

I love how people are optimistic about this bug getting fixed, but it's been reported for years. I can't complete any storyline since HOT that last more than 10 minutes (Which is to say ALL endings). I just played 'A Bug in the System', and what a surprise, same thing. Just another DC Story I'll never finish.Bottom line? Developers don't care, never been addressed, and they've never even acknowledged any bugs reported. Sad but true, no response..no empathy. They probably have a filter on bug reports: If subject = "Disconnects" then ignore.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree - it's probably pointless to ask, but I'd love to have this feature, too. Just got to the Eater of Souls, died a bunch, and now I'm going to have to start all over again because I had to take care of RL stuff. It makes for an (even more) frustrating experience (especially in this case). I play games because I want to have fun, not because I want to spend hours repeating the same content. That gets boring. Fast. And that means they'll lose players. I don't really know anything about developing, so this might be a stupid question. But if "checkpoints" can be saved while you're playing the story in case you die, why can't those same checkpoints just be kept? (Like non-MMO games.) That way, if you log out, crash, etc., you'd still be able to start where you left off. I'm not really saying anything that hasn't been said, but I just wanted to throw in my two cents.

HOT-Prisoners of the Dragon.I did it! After 10hrs. I'm not great at Combat & take responsibilty for it.However, disheartened at my progress not being saved from anywhere thru Clearing Cave-Tendrils-ApproachClearing-Overseer.Whelp. Took me 5tries to realize not using the explosive cannisters properly!IRL interruptons. Having to start at the beginning of the instance Every time.After this experience, seem to be only suffering from a little twitch now-and-again.I'll be fine. Yep.

FmFbWD4.gif

S.A.B. needs a reconnect feature as well. My internet is awful and I get multiple disconnects a day. There's no other choice where I live right now.

Tried completing Storm Top in tribulation mode 5 times now. I always end up being disconnected before reaching the end. Twice now I was around 80% done with it. This is so disheartening I don't even have the energy to be angry anymore.

All these wasted continue coins.

Normally instances are provided by differant servers than the main maps, so you will be connecting to a differant IP address when in an instance.Whether this has anything to do with DCs is anyones guess, but DCs are extremely difficult to fault find and fix if they only affect some players and not others.While not a solution for everyone , sometimes using a differant ISP or a VPN can help fix the DCs , as your packets get routed via a differant route .eg Ive noticed that playing the game while connected using my mobile phone as a wifi hot spot, can help with the Dcs as a differnat ISP and carrier gets used.