Best/Most Favorite Dragon

lezbefriends.7516

I prefer Jormag's theme of ice and corrupting influence on its enemies. Mordremoth was too human for my tastes. Mordremoth was basically what a human would expect a dragon to be like. I expected elder dragons to be more in line with forces of nature and to be, ultimately, incomprehensible to humans. It really makes me miss Zhaitan.

@Edelweiss.4261 said:I prefer Jormag's theme of ice and corrupting influence on its enemies. Mordremoth was too human for my tastes. Mordremoth was basically what a human would expect a dragon to be like. I expected elder dragons to be more in line with forces of nature and to be, ultimately, incomprehensible to humans. It really makes me miss Zhaitan.

Yes; Mordremoth was so power hungry it made him seem weak.

@Mortifera.6138 said:

@"Edelweiss.4261" said:I prefer Jormag's theme of ice and corrupting influence on its enemies. Mordremoth was too human for my tastes. Mordremoth was basically what a human would expect a dragon to be like. I expected elder dragons to be more in line with forces of nature and to be, ultimately, incomprehensible to humans. It really makes me miss Zhaitan.

Yes; Mordremoth was so power hungry it made him seem weak.

All the Elder Dragons are power hungry, though. Kralkatorrik is perhaps the most power hungry.

Every dragon has had their goal hinted at or practically outright stated. And Kralkatorrik's goal appears to be "make everything mine and destroy what I cannot".

At least Mordremoth's end game was more interesting - to become the sustaining force for all life in the world.

And Zhaitan's was just downright overly generic for anything undead - to create an eternal nation of undeath.

Out of the elder dragons we've seen with our own eyes? Primordus and a close second place Kralkatorrik.

Out of all elder dragons? Steve (aka Bubbles) the deep sea dragon. Everything about him is a mystery. Even in the HoT instance where we fight the minions of each dragon he is merely represented by salt-water fountains. I really hope that when we get to fight him ANet just shows us parts of his body approaching from the deep dark ocean depths that then either retreat again or pass right by us. Steve is not a dragon you can confront. He is a presence that's always lurking somewhere in the depth slowly wittling your allies and your sanity.

By strongest I'm still rooting for Primordus.His name suggests his primordiality, and he's the dragon of destruction.Sure he probably wouldn't last in a fight with Kralkatorrik now, but i think if the magic levels were equal Primordus would obliterate any dragon, only struggle before winning against Jormag. (So pre-Flashpoint kralka vs primo)

My favorite dragon is.... GLINT! I've loved her ever since GW1, and her concept/design as a crystal dragon is just so beautiful. And her domain? Breathtaking. I'm very sad she's gone, but I'm glad we've got her progeny in Aurene (still getting used to that bad name... Why not just Aurora or Aura? BETTER NAME THAN AURENE).

Otherwise,

Deep Sea Dragon is the one I'm most curious about. Everyone is. I think that mystery is so compelling, and "deep sea dragon" just sounds cool as hell. We've heard all these subtle things about it, like how it pushed many aquatic races out of the far oceans and into mainland Tyria. I really hope it will come with some kind of pay off someday.

In my dreams there is an underwater expansion that totally revamps underwater gameplay and combat, and it takes place in DSD's domain far, far below in the depths of the ocean. I don't think it'll ever happen though, since Anet seems to have forgetten about underwater stuff entirely lol. Honestly I could see them never addressing the DSD existence properly, just leaving it a mystery forever or handwaving it like they did with Prim and Jor.

I like them all, but Primordus is my favourite and also in my opinion very dangerous. We have a general location for all the other ED and can keep tabs and contain the movements of their minions, but the only thing we know about Primodus and the Destroyers is that they can come from beneath us, anywhere. I also think it would be a tactical nightmare for the Pact to fight Primordus; it submerges itself in lava, being underground restricts the use of airships tanks and artillery, and as far as we know it doesn't need to corrupt living beings to create more minions (that might have changed with the influx of life/death magic).

Also I have a nostalgic fear of Destroyers from GW1, where they were quite lethal.

I am curious what Jormag is up to; from all indications it has completely dominated the Far Shiverpeaks, and it and the Icebrood should be seeking new sources of magic for it to feed on fairly soon.

Jormag, but I also like Zhaitan. However, Jormag also has some power over the dead, they're just frozen, so it's kinda Night King scenario, so that's very appealing to me. Also the domain of ice, winter, frozen enemies and all that is my favourite fantasy theme.

From all we know I like Glint most. But can't say exactly which one is my super favorite dragon, because we didn't see Bubbles yet, but Glint is my #1 and I doubt it will ever change.

Glint was so great. when I got to listen to her in PoF I was like: She sounds like a cute granny that wants to give everyone some treats. :D

She is a really great inspiration to Tyrians and Canthans and Elonians to make these lands a better place and to fight for them and to keep everyone safe.

Mordremoth and Vlast have been my favorites this far. Honestly Mordremoth was a pretty good villain in my opinion. I liked Vlast's backstory in PoF and it made me sad. Glint is also pretty cool, but I don't have the nostalgia for her since I haven't played GW1.

Im for Zaithan, it seems like it is made of corpses, very well made for its theme its sad the it was the first to die, but thanks to him, the rest of the dragons got the power to make minions from the dead.

I really think that Zaithan would have been more terrifiyng if dont died first.

• 2 years later...

@Mortifera.6138 said:After Mordremoth though, I think anything can be considered a 'dragon'. xD

How do you mean?

Mordremoth was pretty much giant psychic serpent rooted into the ground like a plant, there are many cultures that have serpent dragon's in their mythology.He was very much still a Dragon physically :)

As for my favourite.. so far in game it's definitely been Kralkatorrik due to how well he was done imo.

But the main one i'm looking forward to has to be Primordus, I have high hopes for him being more or less a walking nuclear bomb that devastates everything in his path.

Since the start worshipping Primodius. My second would be Zhaithan. Sorry but the emo instable dragon kralkotorrik, the I have a weak mind jungle dragon which one could be ended by only developping a giant flamethrower to burn the forest, and the "psst psst psst you are my pawn now" jojormag... The deep sea dragon is good third, because the only good point is the mystery but if it's power is to wash minds by summoning bubbles or rainbow fog, may become my second favorite.

I kinda like that Primordius kicked out of their underground homes everyone and that its name instore fear like lord voldemort. About zhaithan, I think it had a very good build up: Losing your mentor on claw island, killing one of our squad due to a risen mesmer, being ambushed in a ruin, killing tonn... Was nice, because during that period, we got dragon bash to celebrate its death and then the incident to kill a captain with mai trin and launch of aetherblades and elections. Good memories.

But Primordius first, cause I love volcanic landscapes and erruptions, lava in itself. And I like thinking of sulfurous or volcanic caves having settlements or some underground lakes / phreatic faults and tanks creating some oasis for bioluminescent species and crystal to develop. I even enjoy ashes rain as a weather condition or through photos.And I do think returning underground, to discover the remnants of underground race megacities can be very cool, it is easy to beat rata novus, really.I will only cite a small extract from "The movement of the World - Asura":

"The dragon that dwells in the Depths threatens them above all, forcing them to abandon their ancient ways and discover new resources. For now, to keep their place, they must still maintain their neutrality among the powerful races of Tyria, but the Asura fear that sooner or later they will have to take sides—and then their tottering world may crumble back into the dark depths. "-> fear that sooner or later they will have to take sides—and then their tottering world may crumble back into the dark depths.And to me this time as come, their surface existence is threatened by the same dragon who pushed them out of the depths. If the surface is rampaged or if Primordius is beaten, in any case; they can return to the depths recovering what they can.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Mortifera.6138 said:I think Kralky is supposed to be the strongest Elder Dragon, but my favorite overall is the world boss in the iridescent area of rainbow-flickeryness.

After Mordremoth though, I think anything can be considered a 'dragon'. xD

I've always found Jormag the coolest, as of personal taste and story involvements (prior to LS5, that I haven't fully played yet).

An interesting necro thread to be sure.

I'm obviously in the camp of Jormyjorms. I found them fascinating from the very beginning of the Icebrood Saga. There was a certain... It's difficult to articulate and I feel it's something that only a highly-sensitive person who understands tone would be able to relate to but... I heard a hopelessness yet detrmination, bitterness, jaded, and yet a strong will to not give up despite that.

I heard "suffering" and all I could think is that most neurotypicals will hear this and believe it's meant to sound intimidating—it doesn't, it sounds impained, like Jormag has somehow felt so many deaths and they can't get it to stop. They're a very tragic figure that I've felt much empathy for. The same tone can be heard every time they talk, but perhaps most pronounced in "Maybe you should listen."

There's this idea that only glorious mortals could aid an elder dragon's development so they'd want to preserve and share magic rather than just devour the world—which clearly isn't true anymore as Jormag got to that point themself. The most telling thing was that instead of murdering Bangar, they collared him. Jorms understands that many people are wired to obey psychopathic charisma (this is true of real world humans as well, which explains the lack of interest in climate change, our corporate capitalist hellscape, pretty much every war we've ever had, among many other things), so with a charismatic psychopath like Bangar... his words can kill. His words are actual deadly weapons of mass destruction.

Jormag could've killed Bangar but instead they collared him—this is an obvious statement of intent, I feel that Jorms wants to try and redeem Bangar so that that this charisma of his, this charisma that so many are wired—blindly driven—to obey can be used for more empathetic means. This has done much to show Jormag's nature, they have a strange interest in empathy and as I said I feel it comes from their power, a problematic power that allows them to touch the minds of others.

It's not mind-control, mind you, nor is it any kind of influence. It's persuasion, the lead writer told us that much. Similarly, Jormag is incapable of lying and deceit, they're very straightforward in what they want. That people believe they're deceitful is reflective of a certain irony that I've experienced—a crowd of neurotypicals is more likely to believe a self-interested, greedy psychopath than a highly-sensitive empath. It's charisma. The way they smile (which always struck me as predatory), faux acts of generosity, and I've seen neurotypicals just fall over backwards, flailingly eager to obey.

I mentioned that I find Jormag to be a tragic character and I do. I hope things will improve for them now that old prejudices have been set aside, they deserve that—The reason they're tragic is because the spirits of the wild are [censored]. No, they're really, deeply unpleasant creatures. I know, beautiful, lovely, noble animals... "Gosh, they absolutely must be good, right? They have to be! They're so pretty! So the monstrous dragon therefore must be the representation of evil!" That isn't shallow at all.

Except what I've seen is that the spirits of the wild are crazed egomaniacs! "Throw your lives away for my amusement! Go off on quixotic quests and tilt at windmills, perhaps even die to prove that you're as strong as my totem's animal, as me! Yes, do this for me. For my ego. For my vanity. For my narcissism. Go and die. If you don't, you'll become a legend and claim my form!"

This lead to a toxic culture amongst the norn where everyone was trying to outdo the next in throwing their lives away. Where their culture could've been dedicated to story, song, and sculpture, it's now a mess of violent, meat-headed toxicity. Thanks spirits! If I were an empathetic dragon forced to watch this mess, to endure the experience of all these deaths, to see all of this lost potential over the aeons as these fragile mortals just tossed themselves into the blender? I'd want to eat the spirits too!

We learn from Asgeir's journal that it wasn't the spirits who lead the norn South, but rather Jormag themself. Similarly, I'd strongly suspect that Jormag was kodan too before the koda were stolen away from them by xenophobic paranoia. There are some kodan NPCs that wonder this themselves and I definitely think it's likely.

Jormag has wanted nothing else other than preservation—they've been particularly specific about that point. They don't want to die, they don't want you to die, they don't want the kodan or the norn to die, they don't want anyone to die, they'd just like it if everyone could perhaps stop being so foolish. If you could all just stop obsessing about making others dead, that'd be lovely, thanks. Jormag has had to protect both themselves and their kids from a constant onslaught of idiot norns trying to be a legend. In the trailer I feel we hear some of Jormag's fears shared, that they will outlive all of those they have sworn to protect. That they might not die but all that they love and value might.

The next clue in all of this is in the meta-event involving the Claw of Jormag. It's clear that the Claw is terrified of the players and the charr army, yet they don't want you to murder their mom. So they stand and fight even though they're scared out of their wits. Initially you see them hiding behind an icy pillar, and when that pillar is brought down they take to the skies in blind fear. Their wings are clipped and they're brought down, only to have an anxiety attack on the ground before they're murdered.

I watched that event and I could never take part in it. It's just too painful. There's a point where you wonder just how common a lack of empathy is... It was really painful to see just how out of his mind petrified the Claw of Jormag was.

Now, it's finally being accepted that Jormag can be an ally because they're just like Aurene. They didn't need a special upbringing for it, they just have empathy, they want to see life preserved because they can't stand the alternative. They loathe watching so many civilisations brought low as part of the broken cycle Tyria has endured for so long, they say as much. All along, they've tried to tell us that they just want to help but because of how they look, how they speak, and how their powers are?

Well... There's just a strong undercurrent of prejudice there. I spoke with Tom Abernathy about this, the lead writer, to find out just how much of what I managed to glean was indeed correct. For what he could tell me, I was right about a few things. Jormag is meant to be representative of the plural state. For those not familiar with pluralism, you can look it up. As someone who is plural, I recognised this almost immediately. I also wondered if Jormag was meant to come across as autistic, he had said that this wasn't intentional but he's interested in the parallels. I feel that having heard Jormag speak in Champions, they've leaned into this as their matter-of-factness and jaded tiredness regarding small-minded tribal bigotries is... very autistic. Superstitions et al.

I've found that I relate to Jormag and Ryland more than any other character in Guild Wars 2. I've seen a lot of loss myself, I know of the fragility of mortal existence, and how frivolous humans are with being ready to throw that away for the vanity of a sociopathic master. I've seen and experienced a lot of suffering myself and I would want to see it end as well, I wouldn't want to see more of either death or suffering... I'm tired of how little humans value life.

I've come to love Ryland as well...

"You'll see your city restored to you.""You can't promise that!""'Course I can, I'm the champion of Jormag!"

There's something about that that feels so pointedly fed up with how Dragon's Watch and Aurene tend to swerve between inaction and then war resulting in lots of death rather than being proactive and trying to deal with threats before they can get out of hand. Jormag's definitely a bit of a helicopter parent when it comes to looking out for these witless mortal children who're just so ready to obey charismatic psychopaths but I don't mind that. I enjoy their presence. I hope it won't be short-lived.

So, Jormag then... For being so damn relatable.

• Like 1