Future Expansion

BerriosC.7295

Guild Wars 2: Sea of ShadowsLocation: Unending OceanAntagonist: BubblesNew Playable Race: LargosNew Mount: Megalodon

It could consist of 5 Acts.Act 1: Largos Personal StoryAct 2: The Pact and the Largos meet and form an alliance.Act 3: The Pact discovers a Dragon egg belonging to Bubbles and transports it to the Largos city to be protected.Act 4: Bubbles launches an attack against the Largos city in an effort to get back its egg.Act 5: The Pact forms a counteroffensive against Bubbles, killing it. Bubbles' death releases a massive amount of energy that is absorbed by the Dragon Egg.

The following Living World Season could be about Aurene training the new dragon. I also thought, what if there were more dragon eggs, and what if each one chose a different member of Dragon's Watch to be it's "partner", in the way the Commander and Aurene were. The new dragon egg could choose the Largos.

I've read many forum posts about potential problems with adding a new playable race and underwater combat and I've thought of a few potential solutions.

New Playable Race: The issues normally presented are armor models and the Personal Story.Since the Largos are humanoid creatures, they would use the same model as humans, so that wouldn't be an issue.As for the personal story, I thought of something implemented in the first Guild Wars games. Obviously, Largos characters can't be the Commander, since they weren't around for the forming of The Pact and the events of the core game, Heart of Thorns, and Path of Fire. But what if they didn't have to be? Largos characters could be new members of Dragon's Watch. And the Commander? Character Heroes. Heroes were introduced in Guild Wars Nightfall as a more customizable party option. Shortly before the release of Guild Wars 2, Character Heroes were added to the game. The idea was that you could turn a character you had created and played into a hero that other characters could use. My idea works similarly. You would choose a character you created to become your Commander, and when playing your Largos, they would appear when playing any mission that would involve the Commander.

Underwater Combat: While I don't have any personal qualms about underwater combat, many people do. To help, I have a couple ideas.One complaint I see often is movement. The additional dimension of the Z axis is fun but can be troublesome to some people. I think the simple idea would be to add a button that allows travel along the Z axis. While space lets you ascend, there is no button, that I know of, that lets you descend.Additionally, many people have problems with profession balance while underwater, and it's pretty noticeable that some professions excel in underwater combat, and others don't. The solution would be to rework underwater combat for specific professions. Adding new weapons and skills would greatly help. And adding a new underwater mount would help with travel.

So, let me know what you think, and if you have any ideas to add.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Zhaveh.6801 said:I believe they said something about not adding new races a long time ago

Around HoT, but they didn't say that they never would, just that the work vs. reward ratio doesn't make it as worthwhile as, say, a new profession. It's not at the top of their list, but as they move through their priorities, it could potentially still be on the table.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

I honestly think we would more likely see Tengu as a playable race before Largos. But then again, I don't really see them adding any new playable races at this point.Though, I do belive that bubbles will be the next elder dragon we fight after Kralkatorik

I don't see the Tengu being added. Largos make the most sense since they're humanoid, almost unknown, and already reside in the Unending Ocean.They did say, if the story called for it, they would add a new playable race.

@Daniel.5428 said:Sorry to tell you but is a copy of HoT....one elder dragon, one egg, ond ead elder dragon, the egg hatches.....kitten, same thing.

Not really. The egg was discovered before HoT even started and hatched during the campaign. It also didn't absorb dragon energy. The new egg would be found in the campaign and hatch in the following Living World season. And we've had 2 campaigns where we killed an Elder Dragon. They're kinda the main antagonists of the series.

@"BerriosC.7295" said:Not really. The egg was discovered before HoT even started and hatched during the campaign. It also didn't absorb dragon energy. The new egg would be found in the campaign and hatch in the following Living World season. And we've had 2 campaigns where we killed an Elder Dragon. They're kinda the main antagonists of the series.

Gonna be honest with you. It really is a copy of S2+HoT. As much so as PoF is a copy of Nightfall (more so, actually). And the egg did absorb energy from Mordremoth's death (ergo "dragon energy"). It was half of the premise starting Season 3. Also, the egg hatched during Season 3, not during Heart of Thorns.

Create an alliance. Find an egg and take it to a city. Dragon launches assault on city. Counter offensive that

About the mechanics for underwater:

• There is indeed a button to descent, but you have to set it in options; by default it is unbound.
  • Simply a rebalance would be a good first step, but it's far from the best or only needed step. In this, we need equal amount of skills above and below water (and ideally weapons too); and traits need to differentiate between land and underwater just like skills do.
  • One major issue besides balance is targeting methods - this is largely restricted due to camera panning (the restriction of how far we can face up or down), and the issue of ground targeting systems (a pretty big thing with many skills) being null and void.
  • Last issue is mobility and maneuverability. In general, I don't think we'll get new mounts with new expansions; most new mounts would be the same old thing. If we do get one, it'd most likely be underwater-only as I feel that's all that's left, however, a mount doesn't help the issue of underwater exploration. Mounts in GW2 give us "speed over maneuverability" and it is both that's the issue.
  • To account for this, a series of masteries would be ideal to improve mobility. There's many possible ways to go about this.

@BerriosC.7295 said:@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@Daniel.5428 said:Sorry to tell you but is a copy of HoT....one elder dragon, one egg, ond ead elder dragon, the egg hatches.....kitten, same thing.

Not really. The egg was discovered before HoT even started and hatched during the campaign. It also didn't absorb dragon energy. The new egg would be found in the campaign and hatch in the following Living World season. And we've had 2 campaigns where we killed an Elder Dragon. They're kinda the main antagonists of the series.

Aurene's? It was discovered before HoT, absorbed dragon energy at the end of the expansion, and hatched in the second episode of S3.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@"BerriosC.7295" said:Not really. The egg was discovered before HoT even started and hatched during the campaign. It also didn't absorb dragon energy. The new egg would be found in the campaign and hatch in the following Living World season. And we've had 2 campaigns where we killed an Elder Dragon. They're kinda the main antagonists of the series.

Gonna be honest with you. It really is a copy of S2+HoT. As much so as PoF is a copy of Nightfall (more so, actually). And the egg did absorb energy from Mordremoth's death (ergo "dragon energy"). It was half of the premise starting Season 3. Also, the egg hatched during Season 3, not during Heart of Thorns.

and
that

Okay, so It's been a couple years since I played HoT, my timeline was a little off. Regardless, I don't see anyone else here coming up with ideas. Other eggs are just the logical way to go. It was made clear that we can't just kill the dragons. Something needs to replace them. Ergo, new dragon's. And we're not gonna get new dragons without dragon eggs. Another idea could be that the Largos already found an egg, hatched it, and are raising it.

About the mechanics for underwater:

• There is indeed a button to descent, but you have to set it in options; by default it is unbound.

As I said, "While space lets you ascend, there is no button, THAT I KNOW OF, that lets you descend."

@Aaron Ansari.1604 said:

@Zhaveh.6801 said:I believe they said something about not adding new races a long time ago

Around HoT, but they didn't say that they never would, just that the work vs. reward ratio doesn't make it as worthwhile as, say, a new profession. It's not at the top of their list, but as they move through their priorities, it could potentially still be on the table.

I think you're right about that, but by the time we get a new race the game will be on its 10 year mark

I would love an exp like you said, ft a new race, Largos or Tengu, finally discovering Deep Sea Dragon, plenty of maps in Unending Ocean and finally a underwater mount!I hope we'll get similiar of this, I am so tired of Jungles and Deserts now. :(

Why so many people like Largos is beyond my understanding. They are just pale human with black breathers, SM clothes and an oversized gemstore backpack, who try to pass as mysterious and menacing by actually don't saying anything and being always alone or hidden.

How would you customize a Largos? How would you put a normal backpack on them?Would they have an actual face now, or will always have those masks on them? If that's the case, how would you adapt the rest of the face-gear to them?If you customize a Largos the same way as a human, what would be the difference, if any?How would you justify a Largos being socially active and on the open? Would they dance, sing and use all the stupid magic-boxes? How could them continue to be mysterious if they began to delve in silly Rata Sum parties? Would they still be interesting with violet hair, pink clothes and the dreamer?

IMO Largos are only interesting for what we DON'T know of them, and the moment you remove their uninspired aqua-drow surface there will be nothing underneath.

@Ardid.7203 said:Why so many people like Largos is beyond my understanding. They are just pale human with black breathers, SM clothes and an oversized gemstore backpack, who try to pass as mysterious and menacing by actually don't saying anything and being always alone or hidden.

How would you customize a Largos? How would you put a normal backpack on them?Would they have an actual face now, or will always have those masks on them? If that's the case, how would you adapt the rest of the face-gear to them?If you customize a Largos the same way as a human, what would be the difference, if any?How would you justify a Largos being socially active and on the open? Would they dance, sing and use all the stupid magic-boxes? How could them continue to be mysterious if they began to delve in silly Rata Sum parties? Would they still be interesting with violet hair, pink clothes and the dreamer?

IMO Largos are only interesting for what we DON'T know of them, and the moment you remove their uninspired aqua-drow surface there will be nothing underneath.

Also almost racial skills are purposely overnerfed to make any difference, its a waste.I do not know the point of a new race if it does not have much difference besides the aesthetic and a few mechanics in lore.

@ugrakarma.9416 said:

@Ardid.7203 said:Why so many people like Largos is beyond my understanding. They are just pale human with black breathers, SM clothes and an oversized gemstore backpack, who try to pass as mysterious and menacing by actually don't saying anything and being always alone or hidden.

Also almost racial skills are purposely overnerfed to make any difference, its a waste.I do not know the point of a new race if it does not have much difference besides the aesthetic and a few mechanics in lore.

fashion wars and RP.

but i wish anet just turn racial skills into toys

Customization like every other race and for the bit that varies with each race, ears. They also have new voices and animations and new maps NOT lvl 80, which would be refreshing. That’s to begin with

@Ardid.7203 said:How would you justify a Largos being socially active and on the open? Would they dance, sing and use all the stupid magic-boxes? How could them continue to be > mysterious if they began to delve in silly Rata Sum parties? Would they still be interesting with violet hair, pink clothes and the dreamer?

rofl bro youre killing me ??????

@Fenom.9457 said:

Customization like every other race and for the bit that varies with each race, ears. They also have new voices and animations and new maps NOT lvl 80, which would be refreshing. That’s to begin with

So they will NOT have their wings, and they will NOT use their masks, and will be almost identical to humans in everything except some animations, voices and... ears. Really?

I’d really love an underwater expansion starring Bubbles! It’d be so cool to have them revamp/balance underwater gameplay in general, while adding new features to the purchased expansion (a mount, more weapons, etc).

Largos would be fun to play. Logistically I think if they add a new race they should just attach them to another race’s personal story - maybe make a Lion’s arch origin for new races? Then they’re sent to help stabilize an area in Tyria of the players choosing. Like you’re a Lionguard recruit sent to help one of the races investigate an issue. Idk.

Personally I’d love to have playable QUAGGANS. Or at least a Quaggan DW member.

@Ardid.7203 said:

So they will NOT have their wings, and they will NOT use their masks, and will be almost identical to humans in everything except some animations, voices and... ears. Really?

Masks as a cultural skin, the wings have to be explained away because they don’t work with the back skin system. And if anyone wants them they’re gemstone items anyway. The BLTC’s ability to replicate their wings is also suggestive that they are not part of their bodies. Throw in a line about wings being for scouts or some reason we’ve seen it on the largos we met. And yes, the main reason is cosmetics, and new animations, voice, skin hair and ears is plenty for most. If you look at other games, you’ll see them adding tons of new races with small differences

@Fenom.9457 said:

Masks as a cultural skin, the wings have to be explained away because they don’t work with the back skin system. And if anyone wants them they’re gemstone items anyway. The BLTC’s ability to replicate their wings is also suggestive that they are not part of their bodies. Throw in a line about wings being for scouts or some reason we’ve seen it on the largos we met. And yes, the main reason is cosmetics, and new animations, voice, skin hair and ears is plenty for most. If you look at
other games,
you’ll see them adding tons of new races with small differences

Exactly. One of the reasons many people liked GW2 in the first place is because the playable races (species!) in the game world feel much more distinct and consistent than the typical copy-paste other franchises use and abuse. All I hope is for Anet to keep going in its own more detailed and dedicated path instead of joining the lame half work that is so usual in the market. That is why I don't believe Largos to be a good option for a playable race: the only merit they can offer is to be extremely cheap to implement. 98% humans, 2% ears, nothing truly remarkable or special. Everything unique on them would have to be removed to make them playable!

@BerriosC.7295 said:Guild Wars 2: Sea of ShadowsLocation: Unending OceanAntagonist: BubblesNew Playable Race: LargosNew Mount: Megalodon

It could consist of 5 Acts.Act 1: Largos Personal StoryAct 2: The Pact and the Largos meet and form an alliance.Act 3: The Pact discovers a Dragon egg belonging to Bubbles and transports it to the Largos city to be protected.Act 4: Bubbles launches an attack against the Largos city in an effort to get back its egg.Act 5: The Pact forms a counteroffensive against Bubbles, killing it. Bubbles' death releases a massive amount of energy that is absorbed by the Dragon Egg.

Yes please, Bubbles kek ????

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:To be honest, I would think that the next expansion would likely take us to Cantha, as I don't see them dragging out the Elona/Kralkatorik plot for much longer after this season of the living story is over.

Well, Samurai warrior elite, ninja on thief, underperforming sepuko master on guardian,, mesmer male geixas (taikomochi if i recall well the name), too sooon for that...

LA, has in Lag Arch city needs to go again... and the Queen needs some shoes.