• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Menadena.7482 said:

@StARlORD.2736 said:Can this new mac client work on my 32-bit PC? Or does it have to be 64-bit?

No. I am confused by the question though.

PC or a mac? If the former, this is a mac client.

As to 32 bit, no. This is a 64 bit client. There also has not been a mac 32 bit operating system for years.

But I keep crashing and IDK if it's me or is it from the server.

@StARlORD.2736 said:

@StARlORD.2736 said:Can this new mac client work on my 32-bit PC? Or does it have to be 64-bit?

No. I am confused by the question though.

PC or a mac? If the former, this is a mac client.

As to 32 bit, no. This is a 64 bit client. There also has not been a mac 32 bit operating system for years.

But I keep crashing and IDK if it's me or is it from the server.

Not sure if trolling or if you really need help?

This will NOT work for you on a 32 bit PC for two reasons. One it is a 64 bit client and 64 bit software does not work on 32 bit operating systems. Two it is for macs, not PCs.

@Lunalie.6849 said:I would like to raise an issue that completly stops me from using the 64-bit client.The issue is so simple that it's laughable, yet it turns my experience to hell. I cannot control the camera, therefor I cannot go anywhere. Even running in a straight line is not managable. The settings are reversed compared to the 32-bit client, which makes the camera move to the opposite direction I'm actually trying to reach.I play with the trackpad, , I always have (I know, hiss at me and call me a heretic if you want). I'm used to that to the point I don't see myself using a mouse at all, even on the 32-bit client where I can move perfectly well. I don't even own one to begin with, so I cannot even test it to see if it is still an issue with one.But somehow between the 32-bit client launch and now, Apple decided that moving to the right with your fingers to go to the right was not so logical after all and they reversed that. So now, these are default settings on every mac computer BUT we can change those settings, and somehow, Anet did not consider that. And since on mac we cannot move the camera indepedantly from the direction the character is going to (at least not with the trackpad), moving from point A to B is a freaking hell. I cannot go anywhere. Let even fight. The camera moving in the opposite direction I actually want it to is ruining two years worth of learnt reflexes. I tried many times to play, I swear. But I need to focus permanently on the simple task that going forward is. And even then, I can't make it. Imagine someone forces you to write a four pages long essay with the hand you cannot write with ? Same feeling. It's just not manageable and it's extremely frustating at that because you know that you don't even have to think about it in normal circumstances.

Oh my gosh, I thought I was the only one! I've been playing on the 32-bit Mac client since it launched, using the touchpad on my MacBook Pro. Yes, go ahead, judge me, but I've successfully done all of the content in this game up until this point this way, and I heal my raid group just fine. When the 64-bit client first launched, I tried it, but I couldn't make it work for me because the camera movement was reversed from the 32-bit client, which I have built muscle memory for since launch. There's a setting to reverse this for the y-axis, but none for the x-axis.

Now it's impossible to change maps in the 32-bit client. And just moving from point A to point B in the 64-bit client makes me dizzy, let alone fighting or completing mechanics. Please, please, PLEASE add a setting in the 64-bit client to reverse the x-axis camera the way you have a setting to reverse the y-axis camera.

Speaking of Geforce Now, has anyone figured out a way to get the game to recognize CMD as a hotkey in addition to CTRL and ALT? The native OSX app has no problems with it but it doesn't work when streaming, I assume for obvious reasons (the cloud is running the PC client).

Is there a chance Anet could slip CMD recognition into the PC client, for those of us using the service? Not sure if it would be a minor tweak or not.

I've crashed several times today, which is a new thing. I don't know if it's something everyone's experiencing, a bug I should be reporting, or a glitch with the 64 bit client? I crashed plenty of times using the 32 bit client back when it was functional, but now that I have to use the 64 bit client and maps take a few extra minutes to load, this is super ridiculously annoying.

@alia.8349 said:Speaking of Geforce Now, has anyone figured out a way to get the game to recognize CMD as a hotkey in addition to CTRL and ALT? The native OSX app has no problems with it but it doesn't work when streaming, I assume for obvious reasons (the cloud is running the PC client).

Is there a chance Anet could slip CMD recognition into the PC client, for those of us using the service? Not sure if it would be a minor tweak or not.

You can use cmd as a hotkey modifier, but not fn. I have hotkeys for the first 4 mounts as shift-z, ctrl-z, opt-z, and cmd-z. You probably would not want to make cmd itself a hotkey as then you risk a collision with something that is using it as a modifier.

@Kellogs.8419 said:I've crashed several times today, which is a new thing. I don't know if it's something everyone's experiencing, a bug I should be reporting, or a glitch with the 64 bit client? I crashed plenty of times using the 32 bit client back when it was functional, but now that I have to use the 64 bit client and maps take a few extra minutes to load, this is super ridiculously annoying.

My guess is maps probably have more information in them now. Which is not a problem when you are already on a map but when loading the full thing (like changing zones) you have more time to load it and at some point you will cross the threshold of what can be addressed with a 32 bit client.

@Menadena.7482 said:You can use cmd as a hotkey modifier, but not fn. I have hotkeys for the first 4 mounts as shift-z, ctrl-z, opt-z, and cmd-z. You probably would not want to make cmd itself a hotkey as then you risk a collision with something that is using it as a modifier.

I don't believe you can, unless I am missing something elementary. Geforce Now doesn't let you use cmd as a hotkey modifier, nor does it recognize cmd at all if used with shortcuts ported over from the native mac client.

Cmd is the natural resting place for my thumb with WASD controls and I use it with the native 64 bit client all the time without issues, although I did have to reassign one or two OS functions.

Hi everyone! I am not much of wiz with tech here, but this is what I know: I am running with High Sierra of my Mac. Dowloaded twice the 64 trying to figure out what doesn't work. I went from unable to switch map (Path of fire) to unable to play at all. Am I missing something or is this it- no more playing on GW2?

Thank you!!

@alia.8349 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:You can use cmd as a hotkey modifier, but not fn. I have hotkeys for the first 4 mounts as shift-z, ctrl-z, opt-z, and cmd-z. You probably would not want to make cmd itself a hotkey as then you risk a collision with something that is using it as a modifier.

I don't believe you can, unless I am missing something elementary. Geforce Now doesn't let you use cmd as a hotkey modifier, nor does it recognize cmd at all if used with shortcuts ported over from the native mac client.

Cmd is the natural resting place for my thumb with WASD controls and I use it with the native 64 bit client all the time without issues, although I did have to reassign one or two OS functions.

My mistake, I thought you meant the native client, where cmd is certaily allowed as a modifier. Interesting they would block out cmd as I would think that would break things.

@kickassmom.3516 said:Hi everyone! I am not much of wiz with tech here, but this is what I know: I am running with High Sierra of my Mac. Dowloaded twice the 64 trying to figure out what doesn't work. I went from unable to switch map (Path of fire) to unable to play at all. Am I missing something or is this it- no more playing on GW2?

Thank you!!

High Sierra has some issues, although usually they manifest as slowness. If you can downgrade to sierra (there are guides on the web) try that. I am waiting to upgrade until they announce it is fixed but eventually will not have a choice.

• 2 weeks later...

After giving up for the time being I dared to try GW2 today, SAB patch and expected to login, fail to swap maps etc (btw last time I tried I was able to enter wvw so the map swap bug applied less to instances for me) but the game is running normally again! While it's not all paradise, the character select seems somewhat slower than it was but that's far better than getting stuck so if you are having a revolting time with the 64bit client, heads up the 32bit client is working again! I am guessing whatever was wrong was fixed for the SAB patch, perhaps unwittingly as Anet said they don't support the 32bit a while ago. Hopefully we won't encounter this again, if we do or the day comes the 32bit is totally unplayable by then the mac 64bit client will be decent.

Hi High Sierra users!After the resent Mac OS update, has your GW2 64-bit app situation improve in any way?Better? Worse? Unchanged & good, or & still bad?Is it time to finally update Mac OS X to High Sierra? Or, should we El Capitan and Sierra users wait?Feedback ALWAYS very much appreciated!

@DrMORO.4627 said:

@"psyt.9415" said:Just run it on the Free GeForce Now Mac beta and play the game through the cloud mine runs at 2560p max settings over a 150 meg internet connection on a 2015 MacBook

Great idea!Signed up, but on the waitlist.Not sure when, if ever, will get beta access, though...

Today, I luckily & finally received an invitation to the
! Hurray!!!Free for now while in beta, yet subscription price not announced yet.

Signed up, installed and tested (played) a bit on my work Mac mini (2011 i7 + Radeon), and my home MBP13 (2011), both still OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan (NOT going to upgrade yet!)
  • On my work Mac mini, the 64-bit native app was already 'playable' and 'stable', at low settings and windowed small. The NVIDIA GeForce NOW app at first ran a built-in "Test my network" analysis tool, and said my work network was 'NOT optimal' for streaming. Hmmm, continued anyways, and it was way too choppy and totally 'unplayable'. My work network is totally firewall-ed, so not for game streaming, I get it. (ONLY AFTER work hours...)
  • On my home MBP13, the story was totally opposite. Even though running off an external Thunderbolt 2 SSD drive (best for home AND work GW2-ing...), the 64-bit Mac app would only run for 10~30 minutes until it would crash, and I have to type & send an in-app crash report. The MBP13 would need a restart after this every time, or opening & clicking "Play", the 64-bit Mac app would freeze/lockup the entire system, requiring a hard power down and restart with a long press of the power button. Could not play long and stably at home at all, without the fear of DC-ing in the middle of any event or story. The NVIDIA GeForce NOW says my home network is an "Excellent network"(!) and optimal for streaming. Okay, let's see... WOW! THIS IS THE FUTURE!!! Playing was very smooth, and way higher and stable FPS at lowest graphics setting I am used to. I have not fiddled with the graphic settings that much, yet could easily think that I can 'up' a few things to have a much nicer graphical experience while playing GW2, even at home. LOVE IT!!! Well, this also means that I would NOT be playing the 64-bit Mac app at home for while, unless major improvements in performance & stability to the native app. Really wish this to happen, yet this unfortunately has not arrived yet. Depending on the subscription price, I might just continue playing GW2 via NVIDIA GeForce NOW even after beta ends.

My initial thoughts.

Anyone else playing GW2 on NVIDIA GeForce NOW Mac Beta program?How is your experience, compared to the native 64-bit Mac app?

Good stuff its been getting more and more stable to throughout the beta. They are really getting the kinks worked out.Depending on the sub price I will stick with Geforce Now as well. You can also play all your Steam and Uplay games on it too.

I recently had to switch to High Sierra, and now the game is really a pain to play:

• There is a sort of latency between action and reaction, even just rotating the view. You press your A or D button and it starts turning half a second later (ping is 63).
  • FPS down by 30% at least: where I previously had 30 FPS (auto-limited), now I am around 20.
  • The CPU usage is higher than before (around 150%, while previously it was around 100%). In fact the fans spin noisily, while before the Mac was almost silent.
  • Last but not least, the client continuously reads from the disk at a pace of 10-30 MB/s, to the point where in 30 minutes of play it has read more the entire size of the Gw2.dat file. This does not make any sense.

Guys, seriously, optimizing the client for High Sierra is a must. You can't rely on people keeping an old OS version with Apple. They force you to upgrade, in a way or in another. Please, please, please... fix this.

@Giluil.2534 said:I recently had to switch to High Sierra, and now the game is really a pain to play:

• There is a sort of latency between action and reaction, even just rotating the view. You press your A or D button and it starts turning half a second later (ping is 63).
  • FPS down by 30% at least: where I previously had 30 FPS (auto-limited), now I am around 20.
  • The CPU usage is higher than before (around 150%, while previously it was around 100%). In fact the fans spin noisily, while before the Mac was almost silent.
  • Last but not least, the client continuously reads from the disk at a pace of 10-30 MB/s, to the point where in 30 minutes of play it has read more the entire size of the Gw2.dat file. This does not make any sense.

Guys, seriously, optimizing the client for High Sierra is a must. You can't rely on people keeping an old OS version with Apple. They force you to upgrade, in a way or in another. Please, please, please... fix this.

I installed high Sierra yesterday and now i have the the exact same issue as you. I would also had that the game luncher now takes almost a minute to open and the FPS is spiky.

The game is pain to play to a point that i will wait for a fix to play it again.please, please, please... help !

About the high disk usage

We have found what we believe to be the culprit, and we have a change going out soon that hopefully fixes this.

About slow I/O problems (incl. invisible mobs)

We believe that this problem is related to the high disk usage problem, after implementing a proposed fix we have measured better performance on different kinds of hardware, so we are hopeful that this problem will be resolved with the same fix.

About High Sierra

We have tested on High Sierra, and were not able to reproduce the issues as-stated in reports with our developer machines. We are wondering if for certain hardware configurations this issue is related to the high disk usage and slow file I/O problems stated above.

We will continue to test and attempt to repro on different hardware, but we will also be monitoring this problem closely after releasing the fix mentioned above.

About high sierra problems, i forgot to mention my Mac configuration. so here it is, i hope this will helpCan't wait to try the new release.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)Processor : 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7Memmory : RAM 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 (SSD)HD 500 GB (SSD)Grapichs: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MBIntel Iris Pro 1536 MBMacOS High Sierra Version 10.13.4

Thank you