Feedback: Guild Wars 2 Mac 64-Bit Client - Page 10 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Comments

• Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

BTW, any word on the High Sierra issues? I would LOVE to upgrade before the OS after it comes out ....

New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

• @Menadena.7482 said:

@StARlORD.2736 said:
    Can this new mac client work on my 32-bit PC? Or does it have to be 64-bit?

No. I am confused by the question though.

PC or a mac? If the former, this is a mac client.

As to 32 bit, no. This is a 64 bit client. There also has not been a mac 32 bit operating system for years.

But I keep crashing and IDK if it's me or is it from the server.

edited March 17, 2018

@StARlORD.2736 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:

@StARlORD.2736 said:
    Can this new mac client work on my 32-bit PC? Or does it have to be 64-bit?

No. I am confused by the question though.

PC or a mac? If the former, this is a mac client.

As to 32 bit, no. This is a 64 bit client. There also has not been a mac 32 bit operating system for years.

But I keep crashing and IDK if it's me or is it from the server.

Not sure if trolling or if you really need help?

This will NOT work for you on a 32 bit PC for two reasons. One it is a 64 bit client and 64 bit software does not work on 32 bit operating systems. Two it is for macs, not PCs.

• @Lunalie.6849 said:
    I would like to raise an issue that completly stops me from using the 64-bit client.
    The issue is so simple that it's laughable, yet it turns my experience to hell. I cannot control the camera, therefor I cannot go anywhere. Even running in a straight line is not managable. The settings are reversed compared to the 32-bit client, which makes the camera move to the opposite direction I'm actually trying to reach.
    I play with the trackpad, , I always have (I know, hiss at me and call me a heretic if you want). I'm used to that to the point I don't see myself using a mouse at all, even on the 32-bit client where I can move perfectly well. I don't even own one to begin with, so I cannot even test it to see if it is still an issue with one.
    But somehow between the 32-bit client launch and now, Apple decided that moving to the right with your fingers to go to the right was not so logical after all and they reversed that. So now, these are default settings on every mac computer BUT we can change those settings, and somehow, Anet did not consider that. And since on mac we cannot move the camera indepedantly from the direction the character is going to (at least not with the trackpad), moving from point A to B is a freaking hell. I cannot go anywhere. Let even fight. The camera moving in the opposite direction I actually want it to is ruining two years worth of learnt reflexes. I tried many times to play, I swear. But I need to focus permanently on the simple task that going forward is. And even then, I can't make it. Imagine someone forces you to write a four pages long essay with the hand you cannot write with ? Same feeling. It's just not manageable and it's extremely frustating at that because you know that you don't even have to think about it in normal circumstances.

Oh my gosh, I thought I was the only one! I've been playing on the 32-bit Mac client since it launched, using the touchpad on my MacBook Pro. Yes, go ahead, judge me, but I've successfully done all of the content in this game up until this point this way, and I heal my raid group just fine. When the 64-bit client first launched, I tried it, but I couldn't make it work for me because the camera movement was reversed from the 32-bit client, which I have built muscle memory for since launch. There's a setting to reverse this for the y-axis, but none for the x-axis.

Now it's impossible to change maps in the 32-bit client. And just moving from point A to point B in the 64-bit client makes me dizzy, let alone fighting or completing mechanics. Please, please, PLEASE add a setting in the 64-bit client to reverse the x-axis camera the way you have a setting to reverse the y-axis camera.

• Speaking of Geforce Now, has anyone figured out a way to get the game to recognize CMD as a hotkey in addition to CTRL and ALT? The native OSX app has no problems with it but it doesn't work when streaming, I assume for obvious reasons (the cloud is running the PC client).

Is there a chance Anet could slip CMD recognition into the PC client, for those of us using the service? Not sure if it would be a minor tweak or not.

• I've crashed several times today, which is a new thing. I don't know if it's something everyone's experiencing, a bug I should be reporting, or a glitch with the 64 bit client? I crashed plenty of times using the 32 bit client back when it was functional, but now that I have to use the 64 bit client and maps take a few extra minutes to load, this is super ridiculously annoying.

@alia.8349 said:
    Speaking of Geforce Now, has anyone figured out a way to get the game to recognize CMD as a hotkey in addition to CTRL and ALT? The native OSX app has no problems with it but it doesn't work when streaming, I assume for obvious reasons (the cloud is running the PC client).

Is there a chance Anet could slip CMD recognition into the PC client, for those of us using the service? Not sure if it would be a minor tweak or not.

You can use cmd as a hotkey modifier, but not fn. I have hotkeys for the first 4 mounts as shift-z, ctrl-z, opt-z, and cmd-z. You probably would not want to make cmd itself a hotkey as then you risk a collision with something that is using it as a modifier.

@Kellogs.8419 said:
    I've crashed several times today, which is a new thing. I don't know if it's something everyone's experiencing, a bug I should be reporting, or a glitch with the 64 bit client? I crashed plenty of times using the 32 bit client back when it was functional, but now that I have to use the 64 bit client and maps take a few extra minutes to load, this is super ridiculously annoying.

My guess is maps probably have more information in them now. Which is not a problem when you are already on a map but when loading the full thing (like changing zones) you have more time to load it and at some point you will cross the threshold of what can be addressed with a 32 bit client.

• alia.8349alia.8349 Member
    edited March 18, 2018

@Menadena.7482 said:
    You can use cmd as a hotkey modifier, but not fn. I have hotkeys for the first 4 mounts as shift-z, ctrl-z, opt-z, and cmd-z. You probably would not want to make cmd itself a hotkey as then you risk a collision with something that is using it as a modifier.

I don't believe you can, unless I am missing something elementary. Geforce Now doesn't let you use cmd as a hotkey modifier, nor does it recognize cmd at all if used with shortcuts ported over from the native mac client.

Cmd is the natural resting place for my thumb with WASD controls and I use it with the native 64 bit client all the time without issues, although I did have to reassign one or two OS functions.

• Hi everyone! I am not much of wiz with tech here, but this is what I know: I am running with High Sierra of my Mac. Dowloaded twice the 64 trying to figure out what doesn't work. I went from unable to switch map (Path of fire) to unable to play at all. Am I missing something or is this it- no more playing on GW2?

Thank you!!

@alia.8349 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:

I don't believe you can, unless I am missing something elementary. Geforce Now doesn't let you use cmd as a hotkey modifier, nor does it recognize cmd at all if used with shortcuts ported over from the native mac client.

Cmd is the natural resting place for my thumb with WASD controls and I use it with the native 64 bit client all the time without issues, although I did have to reassign one or two OS functions.

My mistake, I thought you meant the native client, where cmd is certaily allowed as a modifier. Interesting they would block out cmd as I would think that would break things.

@kickassmom.3516 said:
    Hi everyone! I am not much of wiz with tech here, but this is what I know: I am running with High Sierra of my Mac. Dowloaded twice the 64 trying to figure out what doesn't work. I went from unable to switch map (Path of fire) to unable to play at all. Am I missing something or is this it- no more playing on GW2?

Thank you!!

High Sierra has some issues, although usually they manifest as slowness. If you can downgrade to sierra (there are guides on the web) try that. I am waiting to upgrade until they announce it is fixed but eventually will not have a choice.

• DrMORO.4627DrMORO.4627 Member ✭✭

Hi, high up there!
    Anything new came (or coming) to GW2 Mac 64-bit app lately?
    Awful quite around here.
    Calm before the storm, or something 'wicked' cometh this way?

• Galmac.4680Galmac.4680 Member ✭✭✭

Slow and imperformamt as ever...

Praise Joko!

• Yifang.8260Yifang.8260 Member ✭✭

After giving up for the time being I dared to try GW2 today, SAB patch and expected to login, fail to swap maps etc (btw last time I tried I was able to enter wvw so the map swap bug applied less to instances for me) but the game is running normally again! While it's not all paradise, the character select seems somewhat slower than it was but that's far better than getting stuck so if you are having a revolting time with the 64bit client, heads up the 32bit client is working again! I am guessing whatever was wrong was fixed for the SAB patch, perhaps unwittingly as Anet said they don't support the 32bit a while ago. Hopefully we won't encounter this again, if we do or the day comes the 32bit is totally unplayable by then the mac 64bit client will be decent.

Hi High Sierra users!
    After the resent Mac OS update, has your GW2 64-bit app situation improve in any way?
    Better? Worse? Unchanged & good, or & still bad?
    Is it time to finally update Mac OS X to High Sierra? Or, should we El Capitan and Sierra users wait?
    Feedback ALWAYS very much appreciated!

• psyt.9415psyt.9415 Member ✭✭✭

@DrMORO.4627 said:

@DrMORO.4627 said:

@psyt.9415 said:
    Just run it on the Free GeForce Now Mac beta and play the game through the cloud mine runs at 2560p max settings over a 150 meg internet connection on a 2015 MacBook

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/geforce-now/mac-pc/

Great idea!
    Signed up, but on the waitlist.
    Not sure when, if ever, will get beta access, though...

Today, I luckily & finally received an invitation to the NVIDIA GeForce NOW Mac Beta program! Hurray!!!
    Free for now while in beta, yet subscription price not announced yet.

Signed up, installed and tested (played) a bit on my work Mac mini (2011 i7 + Radeon), and my home MBP13 (2011), both still OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan (NOT going to upgrade yet!)

• On my work Mac mini, the 64-bit native app was already 'playable' and 'stable', at low settings and windowed small. The NVIDIA GeForce NOW app at first ran a built-in "Test my network" analysis tool, and said my work network was 'NOT optimal' for streaming. Hmmm, continued anyways, and it was way too choppy and totally 'unplayable'. My work network is totally firewall-ed, so not for game streaming, I get it. (ONLY AFTER work hours...)
    • On my home MBP13, the story was totally opposite. Even though running off an external Thunderbolt 2 SSD drive (best for home AND work GW2-ing...), the 64-bit Mac app would only run for 10~30 minutes until it would crash, and I have to type & send an in-app crash report. The MBP13 would need a restart after this every time, or opening & clicking "Play", the 64-bit Mac app would freeze/lockup the entire system, requiring a hard power down and restart with a long press of the power button. Could not play long and stably at home at all, without the fear of DC-ing in the middle of any event or story. The NVIDIA GeForce NOW says my home network is an "Excellent network"(!) and optimal for streaming. Okay, let's see... WOW! THIS IS THE FUTURE!!! Playing was very smooth, and way higher and stable FPS at lowest graphics setting I am used to. I have not fiddled with the graphic settings that much, yet could easily think that I can 'up' a few things to have a much nicer graphical experience while playing GW2, even at home. LOVE IT!!! Well, this also means that I would NOT be playing the 64-bit Mac app at home for while, unless major improvements in performance & stability to the native app. Really wish this to happen, yet this unfortunately has not arrived yet. Depending on the subscription price, I might just continue playing GW2 via NVIDIA GeForce NOW even after beta ends.

My initial thoughts.

Anyone else playing GW2 on NVIDIA GeForce NOW Mac Beta program?
    How is your experience, compared to the native 64-bit Mac app?

Good stuff its been getting more and more stable to throughout the beta. They are really getting the kinks worked out.
    Depending on the sub price I will stick with Geforce Now as well. You can also play all your Steam and Uplay games on it too.

• @Giluil.2534 said:
    I recently had to switch to High Sierra, and now the game is really a pain to play:

• There is a sort of latency between action and reaction, even just rotating the view. You press your A or D button and it starts turning half a second later (ping is 63).
    • FPS down by 30% at least: where I previously had 30 FPS (auto-limited), now I am around 20.
    • The CPU usage is higher than before (around 150%, while previously it was around 100%). In fact the fans spin noisily, while before the Mac was almost silent.
    • Last but not least, the client continuously reads from the disk at a pace of 10-30 MB/s, to the point where in 30 minutes of play it has read more the entire size of the Gw2.dat file. This does not make any sense.

Guys, seriously, optimizing the client for High Sierra is a must. You can't rely on people keeping an old OS version with Apple. They force you to upgrade, in a way or in another. Please, please, please... fix this.

I installed high Sierra yesterday and now i have the the exact same issue as you. I would also had that the game luncher now takes almost a minute to open and the FPS is spiky.

The game is pain to play to a point that i will wait for a fix to play it again.
    please, please, please... help !

• Awesome Jon. Hope this helps with these issues. Can't wait to try it.

• About high sierra problems, i forgot to mention my Mac configuration. so here it is, i hope this will help
    Can't wait to try the new release.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
    Processor : 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memmory : RAM 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 (SSD)
    HD 500 GB (SSD)
    Grapichs: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB
    Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
    MacOS High Sierra Version 10.13.4

Thank you

• Thanks, it's good to hear something hopeful!

• How soon is soon? The next patch?

• Goldammer.4352Goldammer.4352 Member ✭✭
    edited April 3, 2018

Not sure what they did but I'm surprised that it now works much better compared to few months ago. Mounts & character models load faster and sound effects are not that slow either (for me at least, not sure if anyone noticed this as well?)

@DrMORO.4627 said:
    Hi High Sierra users!
    After the resent Mac OS update, has your GW2 64-bit app situation improve in any way?
    Better? Worse? Unchanged & good, or & still bad?
    Is it time to finally update Mac OS X to High Sierra? Or, should we El Capitan and Sierra users wait?
    Feedback ALWAYS very much appreciated!

Thanks, I am waiting to hear as well. Not upgrading to a major OS release on my mac this long feels REALLY wrong.

@Jon Olson.8439 said:
    About High Sierra

Jon-

What hardware setups do you have high sierra on? It might be typical consumer machines and macs set up as dev boxes make all the difference. Or if we know machines it worked on we can try it on whoever has that platform and hopefully they will not have a slowdown.

• GaryREM.4025GaryREM.4025 Member ✭✭

I'm currently running following:

iMac 5k, 27", late 2015
    4 GHz i7
    24 GB Memory
    AMD M395x
    High Sierra 10.13.4
    Game Resolution 1920 x 1080
    FPS ~60 in Ember Bay

No lag and quite responsive. Graphics settings low to medium.

• I upgraded by 2014 MacMini from 10.12 to 10.13.2 and the Gw2 64-bit client will no longer run in full screen. It goes into a window with the title bar and the mac OS menu bar above. This happen as a direct result of upgrading. The 64-bit client was working really well before but now this window thing is really annoying.

Anyone else with similar problems on 10.13.2 (or other versions of High Sierra?)

• Just installed the game after a multi-year hiatus and am surprised at what I think is poor performance. The game play is so choppy with large fps drops that I'm holding off to buy the expansions. I get 30-40 fps standing still, drops to 2-5 fps while panning camera, and usually 20-30 with bad jitters while solo questing. Rig is hackintosh, 3.4 Ghz I5 Ivy Bridge, 8 GB DDR3 1600, GTX960, on an EVO 250GB SSD running on 10.13.4 High Sierra at 1920x1080. Those fps are on auto-detect settings. Adjusting the quality to low/medium makes the game look like EQ from the 90's and it doesn't run much better, gaining 10 fps but still not smooth.

Does this performance seem correct to others?

Best....

• sunrun.4521sunrun.4521 Member ✭✭

@volbogt.1748 said:
    I get 30-40 fps standing still, drops to 2-5 fps while panning camera, and usually 20-30 with bad jitters while solo questing.

Yep, that's my experience on a high end MacBook Pro as well. It seems to do some main-thread-blocking texture/model loading or shader compilation that results in the entire game freezing for as short as a split second, but sometimes as long as up to several seconds. It makes for a very bad experience (sometimes unplayable for things like jumping puzzles, especially when other players are around) and is my number one complaint with the current state of the game. It's nice to see they're making progress on other issues but this one should be a high priority.

edited April 4, 2018

Panning maps (mini map and the big map) is still awful! My fps drops down to 2

o.O

Praise Joko!

• So would it be fair to say at this point, based on skimming this thread, that the macOS client runs decently(?) on El Cap/Sierra, but not on High Sierra?

@volbogt.1748 said:
    Just installed the game after a multi-year hiatus and am surprised at what I think is poor performance. The game play is so choppy with large fps drops that I'm holding off to buy the expansions. I get 30-40 fps standing still, drops to 2-5 fps while panning camera, and usually 20-30 with bad jitters while solo questing. Rig is hackintosh, 3.4 Ghz I5 Ivy Bridge, 8 GB DDR3 1600, GTX960, on an EVO 250GB SSD running on 10.13.4 High Sierra at 1920x1080. Those fps are on auto-detect settings. Adjusting the quality to low/medium makes the game look like EQ from the 90's and it doesn't run much better, gaining 10 fps but still not smooth.

Does this performance seem correct to others?

Best....

Welcome back to GW2!

Unfortunately, your timing of return was not opportune, as what you are experiencing (or not...) is the sad reality of GW2 on Mac at this moment.
    This tread has a TON of info on others' situations, obviously most all negative as those would post here, while looking for answers.
    The one's with working & playable GW2, they most likely wouldn't post here.
    There are a few posts on Hackintosh users here as well, and some working, some not so lucky.

And seems one issue is with the latest Mac OS X 10.13 High Sierra, and some including me are actually holding off upgrading to High Sierra just because of this problem.
    Others, high I/O disk activity, and obviously graphic issues, possibly caused by different configurations of everyone's Mac, even thought it is not an infinite variety like in PC.

We are all mostly just waiting for THE people 'high up there', to identify and to fix problems within the Mac 64-bit GW2 app to an acceptable level, as soon as possible, and then release it for us Mac users to play GW2 happily.

No ETA announced yet, unfortunately, so our waiting continues... (beachball rotates forever here)

• Jon Olson.8439Jon Olson.8439 Member ✭✭✭

@Menadena.7482 said:
    What hardware setups do you have high sierra on? It might be typical consumer machines and macs set up as dev boxes make all the difference. Or if we know machines it worked on we can try it on whoever has that platform and hopefully they will not have a slowdown.

Our developer machines are retail iMacs (non-Pro). The difference is the developer tools loaded on them. More machine specs from users experiencing the issues may help, but it might be worthwhile to wait for the file I/O update to see if it's related in any way.

Jon Olson | Programmer
    Beta, Character Select/Create, Enhanced Squad UI, Play for Free, Raids, Streaming Client, & Native Mac

@Jon Olson.8439 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:

Our developer machines are retail iMacs (non-Pro). The difference is the developer tools loaded on them. More machine specs from users experiencing the issues may help, but it might be worthwhile to wait for the file I/O update to see if it's related in any way.

Thanks, I would bet that a good percentage of people are using imacs so that should make for a nice test pool. Using a boot/applications SSD I assume? Fortunately with limited hardware profiles on the imac there are not an infinite number of variables but if we assume some of the people having troubles are on the same model imac we may want to look at other factors. Maybe the network, other applications, what type of SSD, or whether more memory was installed?

It would be interesting to hear impressions of running the client on a xeon chip though if you or anyone here has tried doing that. I am debating a mac pro the next time I upgrade now that Apple is getting rid of the trashcan but I have heard horror stories about using a xeon-based machine.

• @sunrun.4521 said:

@volbogt.1748 said:
    I get 30-40 fps standing still, drops to 2-5 fps while panning camera, and usually 20-30 with bad jitters while solo questing.

Yep, that's my experience on a high end MacBook Pro as well. It seems to do some main-thread-blocking texture/model loading or shader compilation that results in the entire game freezing for as short as a split second, but sometimes as long as up to several seconds. It makes for a very bad experience (sometimes unplayable for things like jumping puzzles, especially when other players are around) and is my number one complaint with the current state of the game. It's nice to see they're making progress on other issues but this one should be a high priority.

Appreciate the affirmation. Your description is very similar to what I'm experiencing with the split second freezes (what i call jittery).

@DrMORO.4627 said:

Welcome back to GW2!

Unfortunately, your timing of return was not opportune, as what you are experiencing (or not...) is the sad reality of GW2 on Mac at this moment.
    This tread has a TON of info on others' situations, obviously most all negative as those would post here, while looking for answers.
    There are a few posts on Hackintosh users here as well, and some working, some not so lucky.

And seems one issue is with the latest Mac OS X 10.13 High Sierra, and some including me are actually holding off upgrading to High Sierra just because of this problem.
    Others, high I/O disk activity, and obviously graphic issues, possibly caused by different configurations of everyone's Mac, even thought it is not an infinite variety like in PC.

We are all mostly just waiting for THE people 'high up there', to identify and to fix problems within the Mac 64-bit GW2 app to an acceptable level, as soon as possible, and then release it for us Mac users to play GW2 happily.

No ETA announced yet, unfortunately, so our waiting continues... (beachball rotates forever here)

I was looking forward to giving GW2 another good effort with a few other folks, so maybe I'll tinker around a bit more. I'm locked into the Apple environment for a bit - even with the hackintosh - and after reading a bit it doesn't sound like upgrading to a RX580 will make much difference. I overclocked the CPU to 4.0ghz and GPU about 15% (both temporarily) and it made little difference; adding around 4-8 fps all around.

FWIW, I played for 2 days prior to upgrading to High Sierra from Sierra on Monday and don't notice any difference in performance between the two.

Appreciate all the feedback.

• Is any testing done on Thunderbolt 3 /USB-C MacBook Pro systems?

The new External GPU support:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

Almost reads that GW2 client needs to enable something to allow for external GPU accelerating Internal Monitor?

I'd like to know if it works before investing in an External GPU, and that it would speed things up.

• bellaceti.3782bellaceti.3782 Member
    edited April 4, 2018

Having a similar experience here - been playing GW2 for years on my iMac with no issues, and after my most recent one died, I replaced it (it came with High Sierra). Now I can't play GW2, everything is sooooo sloooow. Hope there'll be a patch soon. Will be checking this thread often.

• Zan.5602Zan.5602 Member

Someone was asking for experience running 64-bit client on Xeon.
    My Hackintosh uses the Q8300 quad-core Intel Xeon at 2.5GHz. Graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 750TI (2GB) and it is outfitted with 8GB of RAM and a normal 7,200RPM SATA HD. I get almost the same FPS on Mac side and Windows side (15-25 at "best appearance" settings) as long as I don't move the cam. Then it plummets to 2 or something. At lower graphics settings, it's quite playable but it is still jerky when other players are around. Windows side is smooth as silk. I am encouraged by the improvement, however, and looking forward to more optimizations. Anybody tried using something like renice -20 on the PID to make it unfriendly to other apps? Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

edited April 5, 2018

@volbogt.1748 said:

@sunrun.4521 said:

@volbogt.1748 said:

Appreciate the affirmation. Your description is very similar to what I'm experiencing with the split second freezes (what i call jittery).

@DrMORO.4627 said:

Welcome back to GW2!

I was looking forward to giving GW2 another good effort with a few other folks, so maybe I'll tinker around a bit more. I'm locked into the Apple environment for a bit - even with the hackintosh - and after reading a bit it doesn't sound like upgrading to a RX580 will make much difference. I overclocked the CPU to 4.0ghz and GPU about 15% (both temporarily) and it made little difference; adding around 4-8 fps all around.

FWIW, I played for 2 days prior to upgrading to High Sierra from Sierra on Monday and don't notice any difference in performance between the two.

Appreciate all the feedback.

I know how you feel. I am on a souped-up 2013 iMac (enterprise grade SSD, 24 GB ram, etc) and am looking to upgrade soon. It would probably be getting the new mac pro though (I hate collecting what is essentially a new monitor every few years) and I am hesitant because I am hearing better things about an i7 than a xeon (the most likely cpu it will use).

@Zan.5602 said:
    Someone was asking for experience running 64-bit client on Xeon.
    My Hackintosh uses the Q8300 quad-core Intel Xeon at 2.5GHz. Graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 750TI (2GB) and it is outfitted with 8GB of RAM and a normal 7,200RPM SATA HD. I get almost the same FPS on Mac side and Windows side (15-25 at "best appearance" settings) as long as I don't move the cam. Then it plummets to 2 or something. At lower graphics settings, it's quite playable but it is still jerky when other players are around. Windows side is smooth as silk. I am encouraged by the improvement, however, and looking forward to more optimizations. Anybody tried using something like renice -20 on the PID to make it unfriendly to other apps? Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Thanks! The 2018 refresh of the mac pro is still unknown but since the xeon is highly likely I was gathering what information I could. When you talk about moving the cam do you mean you get affected if you are just walking around or if you move the camera while staying in place?

• I just got a new MacBook Pro with all the bells and whistles, more than enough to run GW2. Yet I still cannot even log on. I keep getting the "Coherent host crashed" message, which is the same I would get on my previous MacBook. I would keep trying to open GW2 and sometimes after many attempts it will open but I can only play for a few minutes before the game quits on its own. I am not sure what to do at this point, reading articles about the same issue did not lead me to a solution. The game used to run smoothly with no issues a year+ ago, then it started crashing. Is this something that will continue to happen for certain Mac users? Any new suggestions? Do I need to delete the program and redownload the whole thing?

• @Blake Shatterwind.6038 said:
    I upgraded by 2014 MacMini from 10.12 to 10.13.2 and the Gw2 64-bit client will no longer run in full screen. It goes into a window with the title bar and the mac OS menu bar above. This happen as a direct result of upgrading. The 64-bit client was working really well before but now this window thing is really annoying.

Anyone else with similar problems on 10.13.2 (or other versions of High Sierra?)

I resolve the problems I had with fullscreen using the following

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8085571

• I'm not sure if something has changed in the past 24 hours, but the client is running very smooth for me now. 45-50fps solid. camera turn dropping to 30 fps. occasional hiccup/jitter but very smooth overall.

• jackbobevolved.2614jackbobevolved.2614 Member
    edited April 9, 2018

Performance seems significantly worse (but application is more stable) than the 32bit client when playing on Mac Pro

Mac Pro (2013)
    High Sierra
    12 core 2.7GHz Xeon
    Dual FirePro D700 6GB
    64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
    Game installed to local SSD

Previously I was able to get between 25-40 FPS with medium settings at 3440x1440, however I'm now running between 5-60, with very erratic dips any time I move the camera. This is at 3440x1440 with low settings and subsampling. Moving the camera causes the frame pacing to go out of whack, and causes extreme dips. When running in a straight line, it sticks close to 60 with 20-30fps dips ever 10 or so seconds.

When playing in Boot Camp on the same machine (Windows 10, current non-Apple AMD Drivers), I'm usually between 30-45 with everything maxed out and supersampling enabled.

Every single version of the Mac Client has had a bug warning me that I don't meet the minimum 2 GB of RAM (screenshot), despite have 32x that amount. For now I'm only using the the Mac Client for checking the TP and gathering my home nodes. I'm rebooting multiple times a day, as Windows is unusable for work, and OS X isn't working for this game.

• Today's patch seems to have incorporated the disk IO fix... It does result in drastically reduced disk IO. The IO has been reduce 10 fold at least on my short test... I did notice some increased CPU usage during login but maybe I just didn't notice that in the past since it spent so much time waiting for the disk IO. Definitely a step in the right direction thanks ArenaNet.

• Giluil.2534Giluil.2534 Member ✭✭

Briefly tried the updated Mac client this evening.

In 40 minutes of play the disk reads totaled under 2.8 GB, which is fair. Moving from one location to another was almost instantaneous, and performances were much better, at least to the level they were with Sierra.

I am hopeful you guys got it right and fixed that damned bug. Can't wait to enjoy smashing some more chacks this evening.
    Thanks, sincerely!

• I've been in game and it's running pretty well, even in Lions Arch. Loading is much quicker and actually feels good to use again now. Thank you ArenaNet, now I'll buy some gems. ;)

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
    3.2 GHz Intel Core i5
    8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Wow, nice patch!! On my old 2009ies iMac I can switch maps now in under 20 seconds, before I had times up to 2 minutes and more. Thanks!!!

Praise Joko!

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.