Storyline Disconnects - [Merged]

I feel your pain. I have gone through the story part To Kill A God twice and was kicked from the game immediatley. I love the epic scene but I want to finish the story as I have alot of other things to do in the game. I hope someone in Anet will be able to solve what is wrong. I absolutely love this game. I am a disabled Vet with PTSD this game has been a god send as it keeps me occupied and I have met alot of really nice folks. There have been a few hiccup's but Anet has always resolved any issue for me.

Finally made it through personal story (after having to play each scene multiple times) and now I can confirm it does the same with HoT and PoF. Sorry, but not doing this again.

Edit: for reference, I have 1000mbps fiber internet, and nothing else ever dc's for me.

Ever since the Wintersday event I have also been experiencing game client crashes and frozen screens. Have been playing since the original game came out with no issues. I have read on this & other forums many players having the same issues. ANET has still not responded with any type of fix/updates which would resolve this. Have tried changing exe file, memory test, changed installation drives with no resolve. any other fix ideas would be appreciated as at the moment it is no longer fun to play.

It's hard to know if this is a legitimate workaround, but my friend who has recently joined has also had the same issues. I myself, have never been kicked out durning/after cinematics or cutscenes, (and I'm on a cruddy laptop) but have been well aware of the issue for a long time. So we were trying to determine why it was so bad for him, and not for me. I do run the game in windowed mode, always, he was always fullscreen.. So he tried windowed, and no more issues so far. This might be coincidence, or there might be something to it. I can only imagine the frustration, being unable to complete long sequences, struggling to get to the end, only to have to do it all over again. It's worth trying anyway, if it's consistantly happening to full screen users.Yes, it needs to be fixed bad, but maybe in the meantime, we can find something that works.

I'm now logging in for my fourth attempt to get through "The Sacrifice" mission. Each time I've gotten further. Each time I start from the beginning (going through the gate) and have to endure the chatter again (which, sadly, I can't "skip to end" as with the cinematic coversations). I'm starting to think I'm destined to do the real-life "vacuum the rug" mission -- why that one never DQ's I just don't know :anguished:

Arenanet really needs to sort out the disconnects either during or at the end of most storylines. For many people they cant spend 6 hours just trying to get through one piece of the storyline. This should be near to the top of their agenda to patch or reconnect at the point you lost connection for most it is tiresome and frustrating. No doubt if it was an exploit, patch would be incoming asap

6 times today I have tried to complete 'The Departing' all connections lost very near to the end when about to open door to portal.I have tried reducing FPS, performance, quality and adding arenanet to the host file to no avail.

Update I threw the last dice and deleted my Gw2 game cache in the Appdata folder and FINALLY was able to complete this part of the storyline :)

It is a bug that happens far too often. It is happening in more story instances and more often. I have posted about this in the past.I just disconnected at the end of Battle of Shaemoor. Seriously??You get a new player and they disconnect on the first story. How long do you think they will want to stay around?I am getting to the point of not wanting to do the story lie anymore because the disconnects. It is ruining the experience of the game.Some story instances have save points, which is great. Anet really needs to find out the root cause and fix it.

• 4 weeks later...

This is the one thing that is killing this game for me. I can play 10+ hours non-stop and not get a single disconnect doing normal stuff, even leave my PC afk whilst I eat dinner and it is still there when I get back, but get into a story mission with a cutscene and It will most likely disconnect after that cutscene. Extremely frustrating when its been one that has taken a long while to get through. There is definitely something wrong with the way the code keeps open a connection to the server when switching from normal play to cutscenes.

I have 200+ fibre connection to the house. Every other online game I play has no issues at all. It's only something that happens with Guild Wars 2. I have tried the various solutions suggested on the forums (Link below) and still it happens. Logged a ticket and get no help at all, and no explanation as to what is causing the issue. "Packet loss" was the last thing that was blamed, but when I provide details that point to one of their servers being the cause of that (54.239.101.97) it just gets ignored.

At the end of the day though I don't supposed Arenanet really cares. They have my money, there's no sub for them to lose here. I was even fool enough to have purchased the latest expansion but not sure I'll even get to play it at this rate.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/23404/tech-assist-issue-i-disconnected-from-a-instance-during-a-cut-scene-or-cinematic#latest

Trying the suggestion at https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/23404/tech-assist-issue-i-disconnected-from-a-instance-during-a-cut-scene-or-cinematic#latest but so far still having to constantly repeat story content when it locks up coming out of a cutscene.

I have a very stable 200meg connection and can play GW2 for a 12hr+ stint and the only time I ever get disconnected is in a story mission after a cut-scene. (and usually a really long one).

• 2 weeks later...

I came back to Guild Wars 2 about a week or so ago, and got my wife to follow me. (Poor thing is getting tired of game hopping) We had come back from Black Desert Online, I got tired of the crappy server issues, and never experienced them in GW2. I like how they toned down the HOT difficulty in the world map, made exploring possible, that was the main reason I left before.

So I come back and progress in the HOT story, and I keep getting disconnected in story instances when there is a cinematic or one of those scenes where people speak. It came to a head when me and my wife were trying to complete her main questline for the original game in Arah, when we keep getting DC'ed at the scene where you go up in the airship. we had some really patient players who restarted with us, and it happened again.

When we logged back in to go into the instance, we did not join our original party, it was a new instance, even though we were still in a party. If there is a way to rejoin your party, it is NOT easily findable through the UI.

I am not saying that I demand that I never experience a disconnect, while it would be nice, its not plausable, but is there not a way to join a dungeon already in progress, and how come there isn't a timer when you suddenly leave an instance in progress to be able to rejoin it? That is bad design, in my opinion. An oversight that needs to be corrected.

My wife and I are trying to decide if we want to buy the xpac and start playing the game regularly, but stuff like this is really really frustrating, and considering the issue that we kept having in black desert online, it put a bad taste in our mouth for these kinds of issues. I will straight up delete my account if ANET tries to tell me that it is my service provider's fault.

I was on an VPN and she was just connecting regularly, same thing happened to both of us. Right before we went in, we did the event where you protect the gates of Arah, seemed like there were 100+ players fighting, no lag, no disconnects. But when we are in a story instance, BOOM, all the time, under the same conditions each time.

I submitted a ticket already, but is this a constant problem, has ANET addressed it, its not on the known issues area.

I'm having the same problem here. I don't have disconnect issues in any other game or in any other part of Guild Wars 2. The story instances have caused me nothing but frustration and grief. I just had an event where I was disconnected from an almost hour long instance after going through a portal. I was at the end, but the cutscene caused the game to disconnect. It doesn't happen with every mission, but it happens often enough that I'm extremely tired of dealing with it. If it was a rare occurence I could happily brush it off and power through it to enjoy the story, but this is just too much.

Anet, you really need to look into this issue. I'm not sure how much longer I can keep playing a game where I have to cross my fingers every time I go into an instanced mission.

Same.. and its a real shame that Arenanet don't care about this. Having attempted the same instance now 6 times (The last one in HoT to kill Mordremoth) I am now extremely close to giving up on GW2 altogether. If Arenanet cannot fix whatever it is that causes story missions to disconnect after a transition from a cutscene, then at the very least, let us skip them entirely. I have now killed Mordremoth 6 times and seen this story mission for over two hours..... enough is enough!!!

I disconnected twice in the same day at the same part in the instance during the departing. Sent in a ticket. So frustrated I haven't tried since.I wish they you give you a "I want to continue my story" button to get past this nonsense. This has been going on for years. So many forum threads about it.Never gets addressed and fixed. Most they did is put in save points. Which helps if you make it to the save point.

I am experiencing exactly the same problem with story disconnects.

I am a returning player and want to change main so I am trying to get my ranger through the story quests. I was doing the Last Chance, the last part of One path ends, just before the Path of Fire storyline starts and I got to the end of the storyline 8 or 9 times, across three days, before I disconnected in the same place each time. I ticketed ArenaNet but no response.

I finally completed it but now it has started happening on Night of Fire, I get to the end of the scenario and I have once again disconnected on multiple occasions at the same point.

This is very frustrating I wish they would give you a complete on killing the boss/completing the objective and not wait until the RP scenes/cut scenes are over as the problem seems to be during these. Even allowing a short time to reconnect would resolve some issues.

^If you tried to contact ArenaNet using the in-game bug report feature, you will garner no response (as indicated on the bug report window). For an individualized response, you can contact the CS Team via the 'Support' link above/below.

Some players have had success by minimizing the game right before cut-scenes, or other problem areas.

Good luck.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:^If you tried to contact ArenaNet using the in-game bug report feature, you will garner no response (as indicated on the bug report window). For an individualized response, you can contact the CS Team via the 'Support' link above/below.

Some players have had success by minimizing the game right before cut-scenes, or other problem areas.

Good luck.

I did use the Support link and ticket my issue, not bug report it.

I will try your suggestion about minimizing the game, at this point even if it doesn't work I'm no worse off than at present.

Thank you for the advice :)