About the On Wiki Of Gold project

• ArenaNet Staff

Hi,

The On Wiki Of Gold is a player-run project supported by ArenaNet on the official #GuildWars2 wiki. Any player from the Guild Wars 2 community can receive in-game gold and gems for editing specific articles (a wiki account is required, see the Contribution Terms). If you’re interested in contributing, simply login or create a wiki account, read the rules and create an edit that is “accurate, clear, coherent, relevant to the topic”. You can read more information on the project is here: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2_Wiki:Projects/On_Wiki_of_Gold

If you're not comfortable editing the wiki yourself, you can still contribute by using the "Leave article feedback" tab that is available for all articles, allowing you to give any missing information to the community of wiki editors. The community editors will then work on its formatting and finding the best place for it.

The wiki is made by editors like you! Big thanks to all the wiki editors for their edits and to Delsea for their work on the On Wiki of Gold project

• Like 17

• ArenaNet Staff

@Ardid.7203 said:Great initiative. Lets hope people don't misbehave editing things without good reason just for the chance to get gold.

Even if we'd love for this to not happen (and it hasn't over the past few months), the more experienced wiki editor have a few tools to check and then prevent anything like this from happening. The goal is to get more editors (so we hope that a few of you here are interested) but not at the expense of the quality of this wiki.

@FOX.3582 said:Another attempt to get free employees, no thanks. For gold, I just play the game. Give me Euro’s if you want me to work for the game.

None of the people who contribute to the wiki are employees of Anet, nor do we see ourselves as such, nor do we wish to be. We contribute solely for altruistic reasons. We also have a strong desire to thank others for taking their time to help others. This project was originally started and funded by players for players; Anet has since generously offered to help on the funding side of things (they have deeper pockets than us ;) ).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

@FOX.3582 said:

@FOX.3582 said:Another attempt to get free employees, no thanks. For gold, I just play the game. Give me Euro’s if you want me to work for the game.

We contribute solely for altruistic reasons. We also have a strong desire to thank others for taking their time to help others.

So, keep doing that then, lol...

The wiki community always needs fresh blood. People burn out or move on to other things. On Wiki of Gold is an advertising tool to let players know that it can be "that easy" to contribute, with the hope that a fraction of those who come for the gold will keep editing for the fun and altruism.

Working on the wiki is a hobby, like any other: it appeals a lot to some and not at all to others. If it's not for you, no problem; you're not the intended audience for the campaign.

• Haha 1

That's basically seeing Dulfy as an ArenaNet employee. The wiki is really just a player-made guide or information hub about the game.

It can't be anything different either, as ArenaNet developers can put in all the answers all the hints and tip and step by step guide how to play the game.

But.. I know this is a hard concept to grasp for many players, the game itself is meant to be played and figured out and challenges are overcome ...by the players. The developers are just there to set the hurdles and set the motivators, and nothing else.

Making the wiki as some integral part of the development process you would get puzzles and complicated quests that really just force you to use the wiki. Instead it's this part of the game where the community comes together to help the community that uses the wiki. ArenaNet funding this initiative is really just funding a way where players are involved in this community building process. To boost the way that people interact with eachother, to boost knowledge about the game and share that enthusiasm. In a way it's barely different from getting gold from teleporting a person to the end of a JP.

@Greener.6204 said:

None of the people who contribute to the wiki are employees of Anet, nor do we see ourselves as such, nor do we wish to be. We contribute solely for altruistic reasons. We also have a strong desire to thank others for taking their time to help others. This project was originally started and funded by players for players; Anet has since generously offered to help on the funding side of things (they have deeper pockets than us ;) ).

Personally, I have made corrections for no other reason than the fact that the wiki has been my map and compass to this game and I want to pay it forward. When I find an error, I correct it so the next person does not run into the same issues I did. To be honest, I am glad that the wiki allows general public contributions and I am happy to do so without the gold incentive. I have played games with no equivalent to the wiki, and we have been left at the mercy of a dev fitting the corrections into their long list of helpdesk tickets.

Well said, Greener,

Zushada

• Thanks 2

• ArenaNet Staff

@Zushada.6108 said:

@Greener.6204 said:None of the people who contribute to the wiki are employees of Anet, nor do we see ourselves as such, nor do we wish to be. We contribute solely for altruistic reasons. We also have a strong desire to thank others for taking their time to help others. This project was originally started and funded by players for players; Anet has since generously offered to help on the funding side of things (they have deeper pockets than us ;) ).

Personally, I have made corrections for no other reason than the fact that the wiki has been my map and compass to this game and I want to pay it forward. When I find an error, I correct it so the next person does not run into the same issues I did. To be honest, I am glad that the wiki allows general public contributions and I am happy to do so without the gold incentive. I have played games with no equivalent to the wiki, and we have been left at the mercy of a dev fitting the corrections into their long list of helpdesk tickets.

Well said, Greener,

Zushada

Thanks for your contributions Zushada! This project is NOT meant to change the way the wiki works, just provide a little bit of help. It's an idea that was created by Delsea, a player, and not by us. I've actually heard feedback about a similar idea years ago, but wiki editors were worried that it would attract players that had low motivation to improve the wiki and it could add a lot of work to sanitize the edits. This project is striking a delicate balance (and credits to Delsea for designing it that way) to encourage editing the wiki without sacrificing to the quality of edits.

• ArenaNet Staff

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:I always forget about this initiative. I'm happy just to be of some help.

(I wish the Devs would post their position in their signature [the old forums gave that information when they posted]; that was really helpful for updating the 'ArenaNet' page.) =)

It could take a certain amount of time to gather the list of employee titles at any given time, and then these could change (as employee change job titles, or move teams). But if you have specific needs, I'm happy to help as our Wiki Liaison :)

When creating pages, do we have to complete the page entirely before submitting it? It's obviously preferred, but is it mandatory? If we don't have time to finish it can we post it anyway and either finish it later or let someone else finish it?

@"ozzeh.7398" said:When creating pages, do we have to complete the page entirely before submitting it? It's obviously preferred, but is it mandatory? If we don't have time to finish it can we post it anyway and either finish it later or let someone else finish it?

There are a couple of strategies. One is that you can start in your user space: create the page there until you think it's ready for prime time. Then open the new article, and copy your edits there.

Another possibility is to put enough info that someone else can add to it, including a {{stub}} or {{section-stub}} mark on the page, so folks know it's incomplete. (Ideally, use {{stub|reason}}, so that people know when it's okay to remove that 'tag'.)

Another thing you can do is to create the discussion page first and include the info you have so far.

The worst thing that happens is that someone takes a look and realizes that there's some wiki convention that didn't get proper attention, e.g. using an "item info box" instead of an "armor info box" or no info box at all. 99% of the time, a wiki veteran can edit that easily. (And hopefully with a brief note explaining why they changed it, so you can do the same next time.)

• Sad 1

@"ozzeh.7398" said:When creating pages, do we have to complete the page entirely before submitting it? It's obviously preferred, but is it mandatory? If we don't have time to finish it can we post it anyway and either finish it later or let someone else finish it?

To follow up on IWN's words, we simply ask that you do what you can, and then press submit. We know that time constraints or knowledge of wiki code are things that can get in the way. Every page is seen as a work-in-progress, and is built through iteration. So if you helped the community by just starting a page, then we'd like to say thanks, and absolutely encourage you to put your name on the project page :) .

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

There are a couple of strategies. One is that you can start in your user space: create the page there until you think it's ready for prime time. Then open the new article, and copy your edits there.

Another possibility is to put enough info that someone else can add to it, including a {{stub}} or {{section-stub}} mark on the page, so folks know it's incomplete. (Ideally, use {{stub|reason}}, so that people know when it's okay to remove that 'tag'.)

Another thing you can do is to create the discussion page first and include the info you have so far.

The worst thing that happens is that someone takes a look and realizes that there's some wiki convention that didn't get proper attention, e.g. using an "item info box" instead of an "armor info box" or no info box at all. 99% of the time, a wiki veteran can edit that easily. (And hopefully with a brief note explaining why they changed it, so you can do the same next time.)

I see, well I wrote up a rough draft for "War Chest" in set 419. I'm not very wiki-savvy (at all), so I'll just copy/paste my draft in to a new discussion for the would-be page. Hopefully it will be useful and I'll get some form of credit for it lol

@Greener.6204 said:

@ozzeh.7398 said:Well crap, I posted it as a page instead of as discussion. Oh well, I'll leave it to the wiki gods to fix that :P Thanks @Greener.6204 @Illconceived Was Na.9781

@ozzeh.7398 (and others who are wondering)
is an incredible start for a page, thank you! It's absolutely what we're looking for =) .

I'd agree: that's a really good start. :+1:

A rule of thumb I use: if I wasn't around to answer my friend's question, would this help them figure out what they wanted to know? I think your "stub" does that and more.

In other words: well done, ozzeh. Looking forward to seeing more :)

• Sad 1

• ArenaNet Staff

@vier.1327 said:I would like to know if it is a project just for the English Wiki. I am a spaniah speaker and would like to colaborate if there is a spanish wiki project.

Hi @vier.1327, for the Spanish wiki, please see that discussion right here on the Spanish forum: https://es-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/962/el-proyecto-wiki-de-oro

Thank you for your interest!

P.S.: thanks @ozzeh.7398 for your contribution to the wiki :)