Future Expansion

BerriosC.7295

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@Tyson.5160 said:I suspect that Kralkatorrik brands Joko, it then pulls Jokos story arc into Kralkatorrik’s. Now you are trying to take out both of them which is completing a single goal or objective. The reason I think he will be branded is a small piece of dialogue from eye of the Brandstorm.I highly doubt Joko will get branded, I doubt even more that Joko will even actually get removed from power at all.

At best, the Elona storyline ends with us having helped rebuild the Sunspears, reformed the Order of Whispers/Shadows, and leaving them in a position to mount a larger rebellion against Joko, with the idea that Elona is headed to a better path. The problem with removing Joko is that hes been in power so long, that removing him just creates a massive vacuum for someone else who is just as bad to step in, which has happened numerous times when real world dictators are quickly overthrown.

Seems kinda doubtful. Joko is too dangerous to be kept around. I could see the order of shadows crippling Joko and slowly reforming the Elonian kingdom by making Joko a puppet, until he is no longer needed.

If Joko did get branded it would focus the plot entirely on Kralkatorik.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Tyson.5160 said:Seems kinda doubtful. Joko is too dangerous to be kept around. I could see the order of shadows crippling Joko and slowly reforming the Elonian kingdom by making Joko a puppet, until he is no longer needed.

If Joko did get branded it would focus the plot entirely on Kralkatorik.The problem with removing Joko is that hes been around for so long, and controlled Elona so much, that removing him would actually make things worse. We see this in the real world were dictators get removed in violent revolutions, only to have someone just as bad take their place. Removing Joko would take years of systemic re-culterlaization of the Elonian people to not be so dependent on him. We see this in PoF where Joko has been gone for some time, yet the people ion his Domain are so blinded by all the BS he has spewed for hundreds of years that they just make excuses for it.

Now, that isn't to say there is nothing to be done to Joko. Helping rebuild the Sunspears in Vabbi, and Istan, as well as helping rebellions and attacks on places like Plawadan, and the Mordant Crescent Great Hall, and I suspect the Waterworks in Kourna when we go there, help weaken his position. The Living Story will end with Joko losing the scarab plague, having the gate hubs destroyed, him losing a rather sizeable portion of his armies due to the combined attrition of the Branded, Forged, and our actions, and there being a rather sizeable open rebellion across major parts of Elona. Joko wont be totally removed, but his ability to do anything will be too tied up in all this stuff for him to do anything, and we will leave the region with the knowledge it is heading to a better path.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@Tyson.5160 said:Seems kinda doubtful. Joko is too dangerous to be kept around. I could see the order of shadows crippling Joko and slowly reforming the Elonian kingdom by making Joko a puppet, until he is no longer needed.

If Joko did get branded it would focus the plot entirely on Kralkatorik.The problem with removing Joko is that hes been around for so long, and controlled Elona so much, that removing him would actually make things worse. We see this in the real world were dictators get removed in violent revolutions, only to have someone just as bad take their place. Removing Joko would take years of systemic re-culterlaization of the Elonian people to not be so dependent on him. We see this in PoF where Joko has been gone for some time, yet the people ion his Domain are so blinded by all the BS he has spewed for hundreds of years that they just make excuses for it.

Now, that isn't to say there is nothing to be done to Joko. Helping rebuild the Sunspears in Vabbi, and Istan, as well as helping rebellions and attacks on places like Plawadan, and the Mordant Crescent Great Hall, and I suspect the Waterworks in Kourna when we go there, help weaken his position. The Living Story will end with Joko losing the scarab plague, having the gate hubs destroyed, him losing a rather sizeable portion of his armies due to the combined attrition of the Branded, Forged, and our actions, and there being a rather sizeable open rebellion across major parts of Elona. Joko wont be totally removed, but his ability to do anything will be too tied up in all this stuff for him to do anything, and we will leave the region with the knowledge it is heading to a better path.

Or he will get branded.

@Tyson.5160 said:Seems kinda doubtful. Joko is too dangerous to be kept around. I could see the order of shadows crippling Joko and slowly reforming the Elonian kingdom by making Joko a puppet, until he is no longer needed.And then the Archons will just strap Joko to his Bone Throne and live on as the Eternal God? Skulls for the skull throne!

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@"Tyson.5160" said:What is the alternative? Cleansing one of the undead dragons like Tequatl? Seems like a lot of story steps unless they pull a “oh by the way we cleansed an undead dragon.” I suppose we could have any kind of dragon replace Zhaitan or any other being that can share magic, not sure who that would be. Reza just seems so convenient to me. Seeing how connected to Zhaitan he was. He bore the dragon’s vision and can now talk about how it felt to be connected to an elder dragon much like Glint. I just see a lot of similarities between the two and then to have Reza appear just before Path of Fire...

Well, there are the Bone Dragons and other corpses we had which remain unaccounted for. Wyverns are often called dragons and may be viable too. Then there are the many dragon species of Cantha such as Saltspray Dragons, Dragon Mosses, and Rockhide Dragons. Not to mention Kuunavang and Albax themselves.

Reza, all the same, is a ghost. And a human ghost at that. And
massive
I don't think that Reza being stuck inside a corrupted corpse will change anything.

But I think the whole "what's the alternative" will be a major plot point once we solve Aurene getting into dragonhood. Unless they alter the perception of the story and make it notable that it's possible for one Elder Dragon to tie to multiple spheres after all, and not just steal the magic of the sphere like Primordus, Jormag, and Kralkatorrik has done, thus keeping the All in balance with a singular ultra-Elder Dragon.There still one more alternative. There's one character I know of, who's skilled in the ways of death, powerful in his own right, and has enough ambition to want to insert himself into the cosmology of the world. Palawa Joko. We don't know that the scarab plague is the last step in his master plan. Who's to say a centuries-old lich who's skilled enough to develop his own (formerly) unique discipline of magic, and overturn the cycle of life and death to shoehorn undeath in as a "natural" event that is expected after death, couldn't claim Zhatan's place. He might even have the knowledge how to do it. There's no way Joko didn't have forgotten living basically next door to the bone palace and never once awaken one. If he did, that knowledge combined with the expertise of the awakened inquest he now has, might give him the chance to make a run to Orr and take over. (Or at least take command of the remaining risen, for a nice ironic theft of the commander's "If I can't build an army, I'll steal one." plan.) Not that I want to see Joko make himself a pivotal piece of the fabric of the world, but I'd say, he's definitely in the top 3 know death-related characters we've got who could take the mantle.

@"Overlord RainyDay.2084" said:There still one more alternative. There's one character I know of, who's skilled in the ways of death, powerful in his own right, and has enough ambition to want to insert himself into the cosmology of the world. Palawa Joko. We don't know that the scarab plague is the last step in his master plan. Who's to say a centuries-old lich who's skilled enough to develop his own (formerly) unique discipline of magic, and overturn the cycle of life and death to shoehorn undeath in as a "natural" event that is expected after death, couldn't claim Zhatan's place. He might even have the knowledge how to do it. There's no way Joko didn't have forgotten living basically next door to the bone palace and never once awaken one. If he did, that knowledge combined with the expertise of the awakened inquest he now has, might give him the chance to make a run to Orr and take over. (Or at least take command of the remaining risen, for a nice ironic theft of the commander's "If I can't build an army, I'll steal one." plan.) Not that I want to see Joko make himself a pivotal piece of the fabric of the world, but I'd say, he's definitely in the top 3 know death-related characters we've got who could take the mantle.

Livia is more likely to take Zhaitan's role. She's definitely more benevolent than Joko and probably has the ability (or means to get the ability) to become a suitable vessel.

@"Arahmitz.2196" said:Well, I feel like we would be pointed into North now and "save" Jormag, after dealing with Kralkatorrik in LW4.Both Jormag and Primordus are currently inactive, and are likely to remain that way until after both Kralkatorik and Bubbles are removed and replaced.

It would make sense from a narrative perspective where the first two dragons we fight(Zhaitan and Mordremoth) are in the central Tyria region, the next two(Kralkatorik and Bubbles) take us out of Central Tyira into places like Elona and Cantha to give us some fresh new scenery and factions to interact with, then the last two dragons(Jormag and Primordus) bring us back into the Central Tyria region as a book end.

Primordus especially would make sense for being the last dragon we fight as a narrative tie in into Guild Wars 1, where the last release, Eye of the North, had us fighting Primordus's champion.

I just don’t see how they’re going to stretch kralk out to yet another expansion. Or perhaps I just don’t want them to. I am interested in the Charr lands but even if we go back north the only thing pertaining to kralk up there is his sleeping point. Are we going to have another expansion and living world release just to go to one map to maybe find something useful to fight against kralk? Will that be a suitable enough time for the players to not be upset with the idea of young Aurene taking up the mantle? What benefit does it have putting it off until another living world release when they could just write in a way of dealing with it in this expansion that (although currently Joko is the focus of) we could just deal with at the end of this season?

Do you really see us spending this entire living season on Joko when we have already rekindled the sun Spears and halted his invasion? We know even less about how to kill Joko than we do Kralk, but we also know his reach is limited now that we’ve destroyed his teleportation hub. The only imminent threat Joko poses right now is the scarab plague.

We don’t know how many episodes this season will have, but I highly doubt we’re going to be spending every episode for the rest of the season slowly working our way up to resolving the threat of Joko.

As far as patterns go with elder dragons, the base game ended with us defeating Zhaitan. Then living world and Mordremoth at the start of PoF.

So if anything, if this expansion and living world season doesn’t resolve the kralk situation, patterns insist that Kralk will die at the release of the next expansion with a new living world focusing on a different threat.

Certain arguments insist that we follow patterns but then counter their own arguments by declaring that the same thing wouldn’t be done twice. So which is it?

Personally, given that Taimi had a machine that along with Balthazar influence was able to put two elder dragons back to sleep at one time. This was in the course of what, three episodes or less? Insisting that we won’t be able to find time or a way to deal with one elder dragon in this living season is kind of laughable now that we have THREE asura AND the sire of an elder dragon champion that was raised specifically for the task of taking the position of an elder dragon.

@"cptaylor.2670" said:Personally, given that Taimi had a machine that along with Balthazar influence was able to put two elder dragons back to sleep at one time. This was in the course of what, three episodes or less? Insisting that we won’t be able to find time or a way to deal with one elder dragon in this living season is kind of laughable now that we have THREE asura AND the sire of an elder dragon champion that was raised specifically for the task of taking the position of an elder dragon.This, we are in maximum Mcguffin mode right now in terms of the plot. With Taimi and the FMA bros, we will have a "Elder Dragon Magic transfer device" ready, and will use it on Kralk to transfer his power to Aurene, before the LW season is out.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@"cptaylor.2670" said:Personally, given that Taimi had a machine that along with Balthazar influence was able to put two elder dragons back to sleep at one time. This was in the course of what, three episodes or less? Insisting that we won’t be able to find time or a way to deal with one elder dragon in this living season is kind of laughable now that we have THREE asura AND the sire of an elder dragon champion that was raised specifically for the task of taking the position of an elder dragon.This, we are in maximum Mcguffin mode right now in terms of the plot. With Taimi and the FMA bros, we will have a "Elder Dragon Magic transfer device" ready, and will use it on Kralk to transfer his power to Aurene, before the LW season is out.

To be fair the sire to take his place isn’t a quick and crappy revelation, it’s one of the stories with the longest amount of time and development in GW2 (mostly considering other stories ARE quick revelations)

@Fenom.9457 said:

To be fair the sire to take his place isn’t a quick and crappy revelation, it’s one of the stories with the longest amount of time and development in GW2 (mostly considering other stories ARE quick revelations)

Also just transfering magic isn't gonna rescue the world. IT doesn't matter if Aurene gets magic from Kralkatorrik, if he dies Tyria dies. Elder dragons aren't just balancing out the magic so that the world isn't gonna die, they are also bound to the all and basically connected to what I would call the pillars of the world. We already removed two of them and we need to figure out how to connect Aurene to the All before killing Kralk.

"> Underwater Combat: While I don't have any personal qualms about underwater combat, many people do. To help, I have a couple ideas.

One complaint I see often is movement. The additional dimension of the Z axis is fun but can be troublesome to some people. I think the simple idea would be to add a button that allows travel along the Z axis. While space lets you ascend, there is no button, that I know of, that lets you descend. "

The movement problem can be fixed in settings by assigning a button (I like to use U) for going down and leaving space for up. You can assign buttons by looking at the different bars on right when in your character/account settings in-game.

"> Additionally, many people have problems with profession balance while underwater, and it's pretty noticeable that some professions excel in underwater combat, and others don't. The solution would be to rework underwater combat for specific professions. Adding new weapons and skills would greatly help. And adding a new underwater mount would help with travel."

There are different professions that excel on land (like how the engineer is arguably one of the weakest professions) so it would be fair for some to excel below water (like mesmer or engineer). About underwater mounts I believe that there is a mount that can be used underwater (Skimmer) which is sort of its "special thing" other than just hovering.

@"SSE.8150" said:

"> Underwater Combat: While I don't have any personal qualms about underwater combat, many people do. To help, I have a couple ideas.

One complaint I see often is movement. The additional dimension of the Z axis is fun but can be troublesome to some people. I think the simple idea would be to add a button that allows travel along the Z axis. While space lets you ascend, there is no button, that I know of, that lets you descend. "

The movement problem can be fixed in settings by assigning a button (I like to use U) for going down and leaving space for up. You can assign buttons by looking at the different bars on right when in your character/account settings in-game.

"> Additionally, many people have problems with profession balance while underwater, and it's pretty noticeable that some professions excel in underwater combat, and others don't. The solution would be to rework underwater combat for specific professions. Adding new weapons and skills would greatly help. And adding a new underwater mount would help with travel."

There are different professions that excel on land (like how the engineer is arguably one of the weakest professions) so it would be fair for some to excel below water (like mesmer or engineer). About underwater mounts I believe that there is a mount that can be used underwater (Skimmer) which is sort of its "special thing" other than just hovering.

The biggest problem I have with underwater combat is the fact that you lose half of your available skills and something like a revenant that’s locked out of entire legends. As it is now you would have to change your entire build and gear to be somewhat good at fighting underwater mobs. Some of the skills they lock you out of don’t even make sense and the ones they don’t that are area of effect placeable skills have unpredictable outcomes.

They would pretty much have to redesign each professions and all of their elites, weapons, and utility skills to make it more than a slow clunky combat that usually just results in kiting.

But if they have the “deep sea dragon” at some point I fully expect it to have surfaced somewhere like Cantha where it is actually posing a threat to something other than Karka, Krait, Largos, or Quaggans. It could also wind up being in a giant underground area beneath the ocean somewhere.

I’m not set on a bunch of underwater zones but it would be amazing to see some underground Atlantis-themed Largos city or the ruins of. (Though Orr is kind of already their interpretation of Atlantis.) They could do some really beautiful things with full water zones but I’m not sure they would ever want to undergo that drastic of a combat revamp. Only reasonable solution I could see is having underground zones with multi-layer exploration but the chunk of events being in the underground portion or some kind of bubbled normal gravity dry zones which might be somewhat hard to explain in large quantities.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

However, to both of you, the major issue with this expectation of poor writing is that it was firmly established that Omadd's Machine was something beyond even Taimi's understanding and that it was one of a kind. Her machine was built off of those one-of-a-kind parts of Omadd's Machine.

In other words, ArenaNet slapped it in our face that "there can never be a Taimi's Machine 2.0".

So if they did do such, it'd be a massive shoehorning in. And, thankfully, as bad as some plot points get, they've not yet dug themselves to that level of choppy writing.

Besides, it's been established that it's more than merely power that makes an Elder Dragon.

And it's not like it'd be a "new threat detec-oh nevermind it's over" given that Aurene replacing an Elder Dragon has been around since Season 2.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:However, to both of you, the major issue with this expectation of poor writing is that it was firmly established that Omadd's Machine was something beyond even Taimi's understanding and that it was one of a kind. Her machine was built off of those one-of-a-kind parts of Omadd's Machine.No one says it has to be another Omadd's machine device, also, it may have been beyond Taimi, but they pretty much set up the FMA bros to be the +2s that will help solve the day with whatever plot device they use to remove Kralkatorik. Balthazar built a giant Elder Dragon Death Canon, we could as well.

Also, that isn't really poor writing. Poor writing would be be trying to drag out the Kralkatorik plot when he was already almost killed at the end of PoF, and when PoF already covered all the big things that would happen in a Kralkaotrik expansion.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:However, to both of you, the major issue with this expectation of poor writing is that it was firmly established that Omadd's Machine was something beyond even Taimi's understanding and that it was one of a kind. Her machine was built off of those one-of-a-kind parts of Omadd's Machine.No one says it has to be another Omadd's machine device, also, it may have been beyond Taimi, but they pretty much set up the FMA bros to be the +2s that will help solve the day with whatever plot device they use to remove Kralkatorik. Balthazar built a giant Elder Dragon Death Canon, we could as well.

Also, that isn't really poor writing. Poor writing would be be trying to drag out the Kralkatorik plot when he was already almost killed at the end of PoF, and when PoF already covered all the big things that would happen in a Kralkaotrik expansion.

I would be very surprised if they had Old Kralky as the focus of another expansion, as he was already the focus in Path of Fire, however not in the traditional way, since the devs didn’t want to fall into a pattern.

I think that the next expac, which was mentioned above, would likely be Cantha and it somehow tying to the Deep Sea Dragon.

Primordus will most likely be the final Elder Dragon that we face, since we have the most history involved in that particular Elder Dragon. Since Jormag is Primordus weakness, I could see an expac in the far shiverpeaks, with a bit of Charr Homelands as well

Wasn’t Kralkatorrik almost killed in the novel as well?

@Walhalla.5473 said:

Also just transfering magic isn't gonna rescue the world. IT doesn't matter if Aurene gets magic from Kralkatorrik, if he dies Tyria dies. Elder dragons aren't just balancing out the magic so that the world isn't gonna die, they are also bound to the all and basically connected to what I would call the pillars of the world. We already removed two of them and we need to figure out how to connect Aurene to the All before killing Kralk.

One thing to point out is during the cinematic of Taimi’s simulation during flashpoint is that when Primordus and Jormag both die, Tyria goes boom. On the other at the final cinematic on One Path Ends, with Balthazar killing Kralkatorrik, the world slowly begins to crumble, less of a boom as shown in Flashpoint. We could see some interesting effects if Kralkatorrik dies and Aurene doesn’t immediately restore some of the balance. Very end of the world stuff.

Just because Jormag and Primordus have gone dormant back in Season 3 doesn't mean they won't wake up any time soon. It's been 5 and a half years, and the only thing we know about the deep sea dragon is that he's in the deep sea and his name starts with an S. Any other dragon is more likely than fighting him at the moment.

@"Arahmitz.2196" said:Well, I feel like we would be pointed into North now and "save" Jormag, after dealing with Kralkatorrik in LW4.

Save Jormag from who, though? The Pact? I'm pretty sure we can talk Logan down. Balthazar was dead set on killing Kralkatorrik, which is why we had to kill him in the end. Even Braham, who hated us for discouraging his campaign, seems to be on good terms with us again. Unless Joko suddenly decides to kill the ice dragon -- who is on the other side of the world from his own kingdom -- there is no eminent threat to Jormag.

@Rognik.2579 said:Just because Jormag and Primordus have gone dormant back in Season 3 doesn't mean they won't wake up any time soon. It's been 5 and a half years, and the only thing we know about the deep sea dragon is that he's in the deep sea and his name starts with an S. Any other dragon is more likely than fighting him at the moment.

@"Arahmitz.2196" said:Well, I feel like we would be pointed into North now and "save" Jormag, after dealing with Kralkatorrik in LW4.

Save Jormag from who, though? The Pact? I'm pretty sure we can talk Logan down. Balthazar was dead set on killing Kralkatorrik, which is why we had to kill him in the end. Even Braham, who hated us for discouraging his campaign, seems to be on good terms with us again. Unless Joko suddenly decides to kill the ice dragon -- who is on the other side of the world from his own kingdom -- there is no eminent threat to Jormag.

I think Jormag and Primordus are too connected to each other, to not be dealt with together, since they are each other’s weakness. Plus dealing with two dragons at the same time does deviate from fight a dragon per expansion cookie cutter.

@Tyson.5160 said:

I would be very surprised if they had Old Kralky as the focus of another expansion, as he was already the focus in Path of Fire, however not in the traditional way, since the devs didn’t want to fall into a pattern.

I think that the next expac, which was mentioned above, would likely be Cantha and it somehow tying to the Deep Sea Dragon.

Primordus will most likely be the final Elder Dragon that we face, since we have the most history involved in that particular Elder Dragon. Since Jormag is Primordus weakness, I could see an expac in the far shiverpeaks, with a bit of Charr Homelands as well

Wasn’t Kralkatorrik almost killed in the novel as well?

Kralk wasn't really the focus of this expansion. The former god Balthazar was the focus. Kralk was just the target of the douchebag of a god. I would say this Living Story will deal with Joko and then trying to find a way to replace that big Dragon. Perhaps we even find a clue where the weapon, Vlast was speaking of, can be found. And that could be, where we are heading in the next Expac.And with the next Expac I don't want another Nostalgia trip so close after this one. Anet should go somewhere where no one here was. Woodland Cascades, Magguma Wastes and the entire map east of Ascalon. There is enough space for quite a few expansion. And I would it would be good for GW2 to show that they can build an expansion on a new region rich with new amazing lore instead of just living in the shadow of the Lore of GW1.

. Perhaps we even find a clue where the weapon, Vlast was speaking of, can be found. And that could be, where we are heading in the next Expac.

Sorry to make you sad but the Weapon he was talking about was the Dragonblood Spear, which was destroyed by the PC to prevent Balth getting it.

@Alek Seven.2374 said:

. Perhaps we even find a clue where the weapon, Vlast was speaking of, can be found. And that could be, where we are heading in the next Expac.

Sorry to make you sad but the Weapon he was talking about was the Dragonblood Spear, which was destroyed by the PC to prevent Balth getting it.

The dragonblood spear doesn't fit with how Vlast described the weapon. The weapon he talked about was described as powerful enough to change the shape of the world, powerful enough to fell Elder Dragons. The spear itself... just can kill Krakatorrik thanks to his weakness.

@Walhalla.5473 said:

The dragonblood spear doesn't fit with how Vlast described the weapon. The weapon he talked about was described as powerful enough to change the shape of the world, powerful enough to fell Elder Dragons. The spear itself... just can kill Krakatorrik thanks to his weakness.

Vlast: The war god hunts me. For the power I carry within and the weapon in the prophet's shadow.Thats clearly the Dragonsblood spear. If Kralk dies, it will clearly change the shape the world.

@Walhalla.5473 said:

It’s more then that, but here is the quote from the story journal.

We also learned more about the true purpose of Glint's legacy: to preserve Tyria's magical balance by replacing Elder Dragons with equally powerful but less predatory entities. And we discovered why Balthazar was hunting Vlast: Kralkatorrik's blood, both literal and metaphorical, is its unique weakness, meaning Vlast, Glint, and the dragonblood spear were all viable weapons against Kralkatorrik...and so is Aurene.

Vlast is talking about the Legacy and the personal weakness of Kralkatorrik.