• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@DrMORO.4627 said:Hi High Sierra users!After the resent Mac OS update, has your GW2 64-bit app situation improve in any way?Better? Worse? Unchanged & good, or & still bad?Is it time to finally update Mac OS X to High Sierra? Or, should we El Capitan and Sierra users wait?Feedback ALWAYS very much appreciated!

Thanks, I am waiting to hear as well. Not upgrading to a major OS release on my mac this long feels REALLY wrong.

I upgraded by 2014 MacMini from 10.12 to 10.13.2 and the Gw2 64-bit client will no longer run in full screen. It goes into a window with the title bar and the mac OS menu bar above. This happen as a direct result of upgrading. The 64-bit client was working really well before but now this window thing is really annoying.

Anyone else with similar problems on 10.13.2 (or other versions of High Sierra?)

Just installed the game after a multi-year hiatus and am surprised at what I think is poor performance. The game play is so choppy with large fps drops that I'm holding off to buy the expansions. I get 30-40 fps standing still, drops to 2-5 fps while panning camera, and usually 20-30 with bad jitters while solo questing. Rig is hackintosh, 3.4 Ghz I5 Ivy Bridge, 8 GB DDR3 1600, GTX960, on an EVO 250GB SSD running on 10.13.4 High Sierra at 1920x1080. Those fps are on auto-detect settings. Adjusting the quality to low/medium makes the game look like EQ from the 90's and it doesn't run much better, gaining 10 fps but still not smooth.

Does this performance seem correct to others?

Best....

@volbogt.1748 said:I get 30-40 fps standing still, drops to 2-5 fps while panning camera, and usually 20-30 with bad jitters while solo questing.

Yep, that's my experience on a high end MacBook Pro as well. It seems to do some main-thread-blocking texture/model loading or shader compilation that results in the entire game freezing for as short as a split second, but sometimes as long as up to several seconds. It makes for a very bad experience (sometimes unplayable for things like jumping puzzles, especially when other players are around) and is my number one complaint with the current state of the game. It's nice to see they're making progress on other issues but this one should be a high priority.

@volbogt.1748 said:Just installed the game after a multi-year hiatus and am surprised at what I think is poor performance. The game play is so choppy with large fps drops that I'm holding off to buy the expansions. I get 30-40 fps standing still, drops to 2-5 fps while panning camera, and usually 20-30 with bad jitters while solo questing. Rig is hackintosh, 3.4 Ghz I5 Ivy Bridge, 8 GB DDR3 1600, GTX960, on an EVO 250GB SSD running on 10.13.4 High Sierra at 1920x1080. Those fps are on auto-detect settings. Adjusting the quality to low/medium makes the game look like EQ from the 90's and it doesn't run much better, gaining 10 fps but still not smooth.

Does this performance seem correct to others?

Best....

Welcome back to GW2!

Unfortunately, your timing of return was not opportune, as what you are experiencing (or not...) is the sad reality of GW2 on Mac at this moment.This tread has a TON of info on others' situations, obviously most all negative as those would post here, while looking for answers.The one's with working & playable GW2, they most likely wouldn't post here.There are a few posts on Hackintosh users here as well, and some working, some not so lucky.

And seems one issue is with the latest Mac OS X 10.13 High Sierra, and some including me are actually holding off upgrading to High Sierra just because of this problem.Others, high I/O disk activity, and obviously graphic issues, possibly caused by different configurations of everyone's Mac, even thought it is not an infinite variety like in PC.

We are all mostly just waiting for THE people 'high up there', to identify and to fix problems within the Mac 64-bit GW2 app to an acceptable level, as soon as possible, and then release it for us Mac users to play GW2 happily.

No ETA announced yet, unfortunately, so our waiting continues... (beachball rotates forever here)

@Menadena.7482 said:What hardware setups do you have high sierra on? It might be typical consumer machines and macs set up as dev boxes make all the difference. Or if we know machines it worked on we can try it on whoever has that platform and hopefully they will not have a slowdown.

Our developer machines are retail iMacs (non-Pro). The difference is the developer tools loaded on them. More machine specs from users experiencing the issues may help, but it might be worthwhile to wait for the file I/O update to see if it's related in any way.

@Jon Olson.8439 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:What hardware setups do you have high sierra on? It might be typical consumer machines and macs set up as dev boxes make all the difference. Or if we know machines it worked on we can try it on whoever has that platform and hopefully they will not have a slowdown.

Our developer machines are retail iMacs (non-Pro). The difference is the developer tools loaded on them. More machine specs from users experiencing the issues may help, but it might be worthwhile to wait for the file I/O update to see if it's related in any way.

Thanks, I would bet that a good percentage of people are using imacs so that should make for a nice test pool. Using a boot/applications SSD I assume? Fortunately with limited hardware profiles on the imac there are not an infinite number of variables but if we assume some of the people having troubles are on the same model imac we may want to look at other factors. Maybe the network, other applications, what type of SSD, or whether more memory was installed?

It would be interesting to hear impressions of running the client on a xeon chip though if you or anyone here has tried doing that. I am debating a mac pro the next time I upgrade now that Apple is getting rid of the trashcan but I have heard horror stories about using a xeon-based machine.

@sunrun.4521 said:

@volbogt.1748 said:I get 30-40 fps standing still, drops to 2-5 fps while panning camera, and usually 20-30 with bad jitters while solo questing.

Yep, that's my experience on a high end MacBook Pro as well. It seems to do some main-thread-blocking texture/model loading or shader compilation that results in the entire game freezing for as short as a split second, but sometimes as long as up to several seconds. It makes for a very bad experience (sometimes unplayable for things like jumping puzzles, especially when other players are around) and is my number one complaint with the current state of the game. It's nice to see they're making progress on other issues but this one should be a high priority.Appreciate the affirmation. Your description is very similar to what I'm experiencing with the split second freezes (what i call jittery).

Welcome back to GW2!

Unfortunately, your timing of return was not opportune, as what you are experiencing (or not...) is the sad reality of GW2 on Mac at this moment.This tread has a TON of info on others' situations, obviously most all negative as those would post here, while looking for answers.The one's with working & playable GW2, they most likely wouldn't post here.There are a few posts on Hackintosh users here as well, and some working, some not so lucky.

And seems one issue is with the latest Mac OS X 10.13 High Sierra, and some including me are actually holding off upgrading to High Sierra just because of this problem.Others, high I/O disk activity, and obviously graphic issues, possibly caused by different configurations of everyone's Mac, even thought it is not an infinite variety like in PC.

We are all mostly just waiting for THE people 'high up there', to identify and to fix problems within the Mac 64-bit GW2 app to an acceptable level, as soon as possible, and then release it for us Mac users to play GW2 happily.

No ETA announced yet, unfortunately, so our waiting continues... (beachball rotates forever here)

I was looking forward to giving GW2 another good effort with a few other folks, so maybe I'll tinker around a bit more. I'm locked into the Apple environment for a bit - even with the hackintosh - and after reading a bit it doesn't sound like upgrading to a RX580 will make much difference. I overclocked the CPU to 4.0ghz and GPU about 15% (both temporarily) and it made little difference; adding around 4-8 fps all around.

FWIW, I played for 2 days prior to upgrading to High Sierra from Sierra on Monday and don't notice any difference in performance between the two.

Appreciate all the feedback.

Having a similar experience here - been playing GW2 for years on my iMac with no issues, and after my most recent one died, I replaced it (it came with High Sierra). Now I can't play GW2, everything is sooooo sloooow. Hope there'll be a patch soon. Will be checking this thread often.

Someone was asking for experience running 64-bit client on Xeon.My Hackintosh uses the Q8300 quad-core Intel Xeon at 2.5GHz. Graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 750TI (2GB) and it is outfitted with 8GB of RAM and a normal 7,200RPM SATA HD. I get almost the same FPS on Mac side and Windows side (15-25 at "best appearance" settings) as long as I don't move the cam. Then it plummets to 2 or something. At lower graphics settings, it's quite playable but it is still jerky when other players are around. Windows side is smooth as silk. I am encouraged by the improvement, however, and looking forward to more optimizations. Anybody tried using something like renice -20 on the PID to make it unfriendly to other apps? Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

@volbogt.1748 said:

Yep, that's my experience on a high end MacBook Pro as well. It seems to do some main-thread-blocking texture/model loading or shader compilation that results in the entire game freezing for as short as a split second, but sometimes as long as up to several seconds. It makes for a very bad experience (sometimes unplayable for things like jumping puzzles, especially when other players are around) and is my number one complaint with the current state of the game. It's nice to see they're making progress on other issues but this one should be a high priority.Appreciate the affirmation. Your description is very similar to what I'm experiencing with the split second freezes (what i call jittery).

Welcome back to GW2!

I was looking forward to giving GW2 another good effort with a few other folks, so maybe I'll tinker around a bit more. I'm locked into the Apple environment for a bit - even with the hackintosh - and after reading a bit it doesn't sound like upgrading to a RX580 will make much difference. I overclocked the CPU to 4.0ghz and GPU about 15% (both temporarily) and it made little difference; adding around 4-8 fps all around.

FWIW, I played for 2 days prior to upgrading to High Sierra from Sierra on Monday and don't notice any difference in performance between the two.

Appreciate all the feedback.

I know how you feel. I am on a souped-up 2013 iMac (enterprise grade SSD, 24 GB ram, etc) and am looking to upgrade soon. It would probably be getting the new mac pro though (I hate collecting what is essentially a new monitor every few years) and I am hesitant because I am hearing better things about an i7 than a xeon (the most likely cpu it will use).

@"Zan.5602" said:Someone was asking for experience running 64-bit client on Xeon.My Hackintosh uses the Q8300 quad-core Intel Xeon at 2.5GHz. Graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 750TI (2GB) and it is outfitted with 8GB of RAM and a normal 7,200RPM SATA HD. I get almost the same FPS on Mac side and Windows side (15-25 at "best appearance" settings) as long as I don't move the cam. Then it plummets to 2 or something. At lower graphics settings, it's quite playable but it is still jerky when other players are around. Windows side is smooth as silk. I am encouraged by the improvement, however, and looking forward to more optimizations. Anybody tried using something like renice -20 on the PID to make it unfriendly to other apps? Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Thanks! The 2018 refresh of the mac pro is still unknown but since the xeon is highly likely I was gathering what information I could. When you talk about moving the cam do you mean you get affected if you are just walking around or if you move the camera while staying in place?

I just got a new MacBook Pro with all the bells and whistles, more than enough to run GW2. Yet I still cannot even log on. I keep getting the "Coherent host crashed" message, which is the same I would get on my previous MacBook. I would keep trying to open GW2 and sometimes after many attempts it will open but I can only play for a few minutes before the game quits on its own. I am not sure what to do at this point, reading articles about the same issue did not lead me to a solution. The game used to run smoothly with no issues a year+ ago, then it started crashing. Is this something that will continue to happen for certain Mac users? Any new suggestions? Do I need to delete the program and redownload the whole thing?

@"Blake Shatterwind.6038" said:I upgraded by 2014 MacMini from 10.12 to 10.13.2 and the Gw2 64-bit client will no longer run in full screen. It goes into a window with the title bar and the mac OS menu bar above. This happen as a direct result of upgrading. The 64-bit client was working really well before but now this window thing is really annoying.

Anyone else with similar problems on 10.13.2 (or other versions of High Sierra?)

I resolve the problems I had with fullscreen using the following

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8085571

Performance seems significantly worse (but application is more stable) than the 32bit client when playing on Mac Pro

Mac Pro (2013)High Sierra12 core 2.7GHz XeonDual FirePro D700 6GB64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3Game installed to local SSD

Previously I was able to get between 25-40 FPS with medium settings at 3440x1440, however I'm now running between 5-60, with very erratic dips any time I move the camera. This is at 3440x1440 with low settings and subsampling. Moving the camera causes the frame pacing to go out of whack, and causes extreme dips. When running in a straight line, it sticks close to 60 with 20-30fps dips ever 10 or so seconds.

When playing in Boot Camp on the same machine (Windows 10, current non-Apple AMD Drivers), I'm usually between 30-45 with everything maxed out and supersampling enabled.

Every single version of the Mac Client has had a bug warning me that I don't meet the minimum 2 GB of RAM (screenshot), despite have 32x that amount. For now I'm only using the the Mac Client for checking the TP and gathering my home nodes. I'm rebooting multiple times a day, as Windows is unusable for work, and OS X isn't working for this game.

Today's patch seems to have incorporated the disk IO fix... It does result in drastically reduced disk IO. The IO has been reduce 10 fold at least on my short test... I did notice some increased CPU usage during login but maybe I just didn't notice that in the past since it spent so much time waiting for the disk IO. Definitely a step in the right direction thanks ArenaNet.

Briefly tried the updated Mac client this evening.

In 40 minutes of play the disk reads totaled under 2.8 GB, which is fair. Moving from one location to another was almost instantaneous, and performances were much better, at least to the level they were with Sierra.

I am hopeful you guys got it right and fixed that damned bug. Can't wait to enjoy smashing some more chacks this evening.Thanks, sincerely!

I've been in game and it's running pretty well, even in Lions Arch. Loading is much quicker and actually feels good to use again now. Thank you ArenaNet, now I'll buy some gems. ;)

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)3.2 GHz Intel Core i58 GB 1867 MHz DDR3