Storyline Disconnects - [Merged]

I'm very tired of getting disconnected during story lines, if Arena doesn't fix I will either stop doing the story lines or I will stop the game altogether. I get disconnected at the end of a long story line and it happens around 50% of the time. It's nonsense and they need to get this S*&^ fixed asap. I never have this issue with other games and it's a known issue so why don't they fix it? Also, when submitting a ticket a person has to type too much information, my guess that is discourage submitting a ticket. I'm almost DONE with this game.

• ArenaNet Staff

We have folks investigating this issue, but so far we haven't been able to reproduce it. We're trying to determine what the commonality is between players that run into this issue. If you haven't already, please submit a bug when it happens so we can get more data points.

@Jeffrey Vaughn.1793 said:We have folks investigating this issue, but so far we haven't been able to reproduce it. We're trying to determine what the commonality is between players that run into this issue. If you haven't already, please submit a bug when it happens so we can get more data points.

We'd love to but a lot of the time it's a flat out kick to character select (or game termination). So we couldn't submit a bug report using the in-game function as that would report the wrong gamestate.

Having run into the issue myself a few times i can say that it generally occurs with lengthy monologues and something changing state in the environment be it a door (see Joko and The Departed) or elevator (see the Char and Roof Escape in the recent LS chapter).

I never disconnect during normal play or in dungeons. But it almost always happens after a cutscene in a story mission. Usually the ones that can't be skipped, and usually during the long 30mins ones. When I drop out of the story instance it just sits there with the Film-Reel over the characters head and nothing responds. Then the connection drops. I can log straight back in again and do it all over again. Some of these are taking half a dozen attempts to eventually get past which is wasted time and completely ruins the story immersion. Very frustrating.

• Like 1

Have tried the 'Heart of the Volcano' story mission 3 times now. Every time I get to the very last cutscene, it plays out (no skip option) and throws me back to the entrance to the instance with a film reel over my head to indicate I am in a cutscene. Then just sits there and eventually drops connection with a (7:11:3:191:101). I can play for 10+ hours on the trot doing events and other stuff without a disconnect. But story missions seem to do this more often than not these days.

Whatever Arenanet does when in these forced cut-scenes (or most likely the switching back out of them), the connection to the server really doesn't like it. This is killing the game for me and driving my wife (who also plays) crazy to the point where she's starting to not want to log in anymore. And having both purchased PoF, we haven't even gotten to it yet)

Have logged a ticket.... will log another if it helps. Or please suggest anything else I can do to try to troubleshoot this and I will try it.

So many threads about this issue and so little progress made.

This last week I have noticed a far, far better experience with regards to story disconnects than in recent months in that I haven't actually been disconnected at all. In addition, incidents of momentary latency spikes have also decreased. It's been pretty nice. I'm hoping it lasts.

@Jeffrey Vaughn.1793 said:We have folks investigating this issue, but so far we haven't been able to reproduce it. We're trying to determine what the commonality is between players that run into this issue. If you haven't already, please submit a bug when it happens so we can get more data points.

Seems a common problem is that you FORCE people to watch a video which then seems to cause a DC .. why are these videos deemed oh so important they can't be skipped anyway?

• ArenaNet Staff

@Kraggy.4169 said:why are these videos deemed oh so important they can't be skipped anyway?

It varies, but (for example) when playing co-op things can go awry if some players skip the cinematic and are able to interact with the game world while other players are still watching the cinematic. The cinematic might also be used as to cover up long distance teleports that would normally require a load screen.

@jediwolf.8724 said:Does anyone remember having this issue before HOT came out?For me it seems to have started with Heart of Thorns and has spread from there.Perhaps something changed in the programing?

No, i don't recall it happening Pre-HoT. But a lot changed with HoT. We moved into full voiced acted cutscenes and a lot more mechanically demanding things happen behind the scenes.

It's really strange, I made two clone pc's for myself and my wife, we're both on the same internet connected to the router with ethernet cables and ONLY I get these disconnects.

@"Jeffrey Vaughn.1793" said:We have folks investigating this issue, but so far we haven't been able to reproduce it. We're trying to determine what the commonality is between players that run into this issue. If you haven't already, please submit a bug when it happens so we can get more data points.

I think story instances don't cope with lag. Open world does but the instances disconnect. It also seems to be when the "movie scenes" play but that again seems connected to the game not being able to communicate as quickly as it would like, so it disconnects.

That's my experience anyway.

If you can't reproduce to fix, do you think there's any possibility of check points. .OR, letting people join others story instances after they've started...i know people could choose to skip content this way. ..but if they do..does it really matter?

@OP, I rarely do story instances now. In fact I've started to spend more time in WvW and discovered an interest for that kind of gameplay.

@Jeffrey Vaughn.1793 said:

@"Kraggy.4169" said:why are these videos deemed oh so important they can't be skipped anyway?

It varies, but (for example) when playing co-op things can go awry if some players skip the cinematic and are able to interact with the game world while other players are still watching the cinematic. The cinematic might also be used as to cover up long distance teleports that would normally require a load screen.

I would rather a load screen honestly. If that's what you're doing..loading during cinematics, maybe that's part of the problem?

As for group..you could just..not allow skips if in a party or have a check screen "with cinematics or without" before entering.

@jediwolf, I also don't recall disconnects in story pre-HoT.

Many of us aren't getting any help from customer service.

We're not even allowed to be seen here.

So how can we report glitches when GW2 staff are abusing us?

I find this very irritating, I have had to go through fighting Zhaitan twice, and the very long story chapter before that one, too... Please fix this or add checkpoints, maybe both. I noticed there are "checkpoints" in the expansion stories, but this should be base-game too.

@jediwolf.8724 said:Almost always during cut scenes. Once I get into a story and it disconnects during a cut scene. Next time I do the story the disconnects is at the exact samepoint. I have a character waiting at the departed. I disconnected twice right after fight Balthazar.

Currently I'm playing the personal story in core tyria, and so far was disconnected in two instances that I had to play again. One was where Ebonheart had to be freed of separatists just after the center was cleared, the other one was where I had to recruit two charr who were captured right after the talking cut scene in the ruins. In both cases my character was stuck with the watching-a-movie-symbol above his head for a few seconds, buttons had no impact anymore, until I got kicked to character selection. When I replayed the missions I just skipped all the cut scenes and could complete the missions.

These missions weren't the first ones I played after logging in when the dcs occurred, but the fourth or fifth ones.System: Win 10 64bit, 16 GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB, GW2 is installed on a SSD

On another system (notebook, Win 10 64bit, 8 GB Ram, AMD integrated graphics card 2GB) I had dc's in about every second PoF-Story Mission, and they always happened because something that should happen/appear/disappear, aso. did not load. E.g. near the end of the first PoF-Mission I got several dc's with different characters after talking to the villager and right before the charr companion should give me the fire extinguisher. And there is no cut scene at all at this point. There should appear the I-have-to-say-something symbol above the charr's head before talking to him and getting the extinguisher, but this did not happen and this or something else right after talking to the villager resulted in a dc.

Are there any plans to try and solve the issue of being reset when not in a party after disconnected generally? This is not just a story problem. Working towards a HOT map reward Dc'ing and losing all progress - 2 hours in SAB trib mode progress lost if you DC are just a few examples where this issue causes many many players great frustration.

I would have thought that after the fiasco of the very first Living Story Southsun Karka event where mass disconnects caused huge problems, that the whole area of how to deal with DC'ing in general was an issue that required urgent attention.

Is it simply not possible to allow a 5-10 minute grace period where after reconnecting you are put back exactly (same map - same progress) where you were?

This happens often to me also... however the worst was this morning: final mission fight with Bal, defeated him, cut scene, disconnect!! That was messed up. That was such a long mission, it will be a while before I attempt it again.very, very discouraging....

I've just come back after a long time away, brand new PC, installed the game and paid for the two expacs. Now I'm wasting my time playing through instances and losing all my progress at the end in some cutscene issue. I've googled it and I can easily find posts about it going back at least a year. I have to say I'm rather bothered by the fact that as I type this you haven't moved past the 'trying to recreate it' step. That sounds like you've been sitting on it for as long as it's been an issue. Maybe it's time to just skip that stage and start trying to fix it? Build the mechanics so that our progress is being saved intermittently.. especially have it saved upon completion - BEFORE the cutscenes start to roll. There are several ways you can do it. But I really hope you do it soon, because I don't pay to get frustrated and angry, and if I keep having this happen I'll be asking for my refund before on those expacs before my refund time expires.

• Like 1

Yeah, I just came back in an repeated the whole mouth of zhaitan, the same one that bugged me out last night after killing him, and it just happened again. I 100% do not even want to log back into this mess right now. I doubt I'm even going to go through that again unless this is fixed, and since it won't be fixed within the month I have to get my refund, I'm putting in for my money back today. My free timee is limited, and I don't want to spend it repeating broken story content. And a game without a story is just combat. I can get that anywhere.