• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just tried the game build 87855 and sadly nothing has changed.

• The luncher takes about a min just to open.
  • Once loged, the caracter selection screen takes +/- 20sec to load
  • The game is still really Jerky / unplayable
  • average frame rate has lost about 10 fps

nothing of the above was like that before High Sierra update. The game was running just fine. not the best but fine. Hopefully a solution is found before i completely unhook from the game.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)Processor : 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7Memmory : RAM 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 (SSD)HD 500 GB (SSD)Grapichs: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MBIntel Iris Pro 1536 MBMacOS High Sierra Version 10.13.4

I'm not seeing any improvement on my side, which sucks because Ill have to continue playing at 5 fps on my laptop rip. Here are my specs though in case they help

Mac mini (Late 2014)Processor: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3Graphics: Intel Iris 1536 MB

I used a stopwatch to test a few areas to see how long they'd take to load just for funsies; that data is below:Rally from Great Hall to Chalon Docks in Istan- 2~ minsChalon Docks to Sanctum Harbor in LA- 1 minSanctum Harbor to Eastwatch in Auric Basin- 1 min

Aaaand naturally these load times happen at each map load, whether it be a normal wp or from being downed. Loading the trading post also takes around the same amount of time, along with enemies/assets taking anywhere between 2-10 mins to load in

I don't have specific statistics, but: Running a 2014 Mac Mini with Yosemite, running the client off an external SSD.

Before the patch, it was playable, but often choppy, with short freezes.

After the patch, it ran so smoothly I decided to change all my settings from Low to High. :D That was, um, excessive. I quickly changed most settings back to low or medium. Everything ran smoothly, so I gave it the acid test: A full Palawadan raid! While I was frequently lost, kicked around by CC, and sometimes could not see what the heck was going on, it was NEVER because my screen froze up or because the animation was so choppy I was unable to follow it.

Now I can turn around beside a huge crowd without the screen slowing down the minute the zerg comes in view.

My hero panel and guild panel now come up instantly when I hit the key instead of freezing everything for a couple of seconds while they load. It takes a second to load the BL store, but the animation does not freeze while it loads any more--I could see my stalker's tail lashing behind the panel.

Looking forward to my next Auric Basin meta, thanks to this fix. ^^ Thank you, this is a huge improvement.

The disc reading issue is basically gone, which is awesome cause it means I am not killing my macs hard drive anymore. FPS are significantly higher now, but I do still get the stuttering when looking around in locations, and when trying to move the map it lags a lot still.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)Processor 2.5GHz Intel Core i7Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048MB

The recent update seemed to really speed things up for my game; maps don't take nearly as long to load, and things are almost just as good as they were on the 32 bit client. I am playing on a high end imac, and realize this might not apply to all mac players, but I think things are looking up?

Running a bit smoother on Mac Pro (2013) after the patch. Turning the camera no longer induces consistent stuttering. It still occurs about 20% of the time (down from 100%). Drop outs still bring frame rate into single digits, making it difficult for anything but gathering. My 2013 MacBook Pro (Quad i7) runs at 2-3 times the frame rate, despite being about 1/3 as powerful.

@Giluil.2534 said:As a Mac/iOS software developer, I would be interested in reading a post-mortem on this disk I/O bug. It puzzles me how a bug like that could have slipped beyond testing and why it took so long to fix. I would really appreciate a technical report.

Granted it was technically a beta. Although making it the de-facto release when they had to cancel the 32 bit version you would hope more testing would have taken place.

What I am curious about is if this also solved the high sierra issues, which Jon wondered about earlier. Most of the posts this week that listed specs were either running sierra or on a machine below what is the average hardware people are gaming on.

Cans we hav 10.13 now as 10.14 might be announced in 2 months at wwdc? :)

Hey folks, like to ask about High Sierra

As Menadena pointed out that 10.14 is already on the horizon.I'm still holding back from 10.13 not solely because of GW2, but it's one of the main reasons indeed.

Patch notes suggested that HS is now supported, but I'm reading mixed results about HS, so what's the latest news on that and especially performance issues, compared to Sierra 10.12 (which is running quite fine in 1440p on a beefy iMac btw)?

thx :)

Hi I'm a Mac user, new here and just bought Heart of Thorns but can't buy Path of Fire. I've used the same card for both the transactions. Even tried Paypal. I don't know what the issue is, it's so frustrating. I've even raised a ticket. Any help would be great.

@Matick.4132 said:Hey folks, like to ask about High Sierra

As Menadena pointed out that 10.14 is already on the horizon.I'm still holding back from 10.13 not solely because of GW2, but it's one of the main reasons indeed.

Patch notes suggested that HS is now supported, but I'm reading mixed results about HS, so what's the latest news on that and especially performance issues, compared to Sierra 10.12 (which is running quite fine in 1440p on a beefy iMac btw)?

thx :)

Yes, 10.14 is rumoured to be the biggest update since 10.0. If it takes them about a year for what was comparitively a maintenance update to the OS I am already shuddering at when we will get any needed 10.14 changes. Being a dev I know you can not reliably predict changes, especially based on incomplete information, but you also know what things are worse than others to make changes to.

@Menadena.7482 said:What I am curious about is if this also solved the high sierra issues, which Jon wondered about earlier. Most of the posts this week that listed specs were either running sierra or on a machine below what is the average hardware people are gaming on.

From my understanding, the disk I/O bug was not a High Sierra-specific problem. My wife plays on a 2011 iMac with Sierra and suffered from the disk I/O bug since the initial 64-bit release. The recent bug fix improved performances on her iMac so much that she could raise the settings and is now playing with most settings to Medium. She's extremely happy now, in fact. She says it looks almost like a new game.

Regarding my experience, what I can say for sure is that High Sierra triggered the disk I/O bug for me. I was not experiencing it with Sierra. I don't know the reason, and as a software developer this makes me curious enough to ask for a post-mortem about the bug.

Now that the disk I/O has been fixed, my experience with High Sierra is equivalent to what I had with Sierra. If there's a difference it is so minimal I can't say what it affects or of how much.

@Giluil.2534 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:What I am curious about is if this also solved the high sierra issues, which Jon wondered about earlier. Most of the posts this week that listed specs were either running sierra or on a machine below what is the average hardware people are gaming on.

From my understanding, the disk I/O bug was not a High Sierra-specific problem. My wife plays on a 2011 iMac with Sierra and suffered from the disk I/O bug since the initial 64-bit release. The recent bug fix improved performances on her iMac so much that she could raise the settings and is now playing with most settings to Medium. She's extremely happy now, in fact. She says it looks almost like a new game.

Regarding my experience, what I can say for sure is that High Sierra
triggered
the disk I/O bug for me. I was not experiencing it with Sierra. I don't know the reason, and as a software developer this makes me curious enough to ask for a post-mortem about the bug.

Now that the disk I/O has been fixed, my experience with High Sierra is equivalent to what I had with Sierra. If there's a difference it is so minimal I can't say what it affects or of how much.

Thanks, I really hope HS is fixed now too. I run it at work but would like to finally be able to upgrade my home systems.

@Menadena.7482 said:

Regarding my experience, what I can say for sure is that High Sierra
triggered
the disk I/O bug for me. I was not experiencing it with Sierra. I don't know the reason, and as a software developer this makes me curious enough to ask for a post-mortem about the bug.

Thanks, I really hope HS is fixed now too. I run it at work but would like to finally be able to upgrade my home systems.

I, too, am waiting to upgrade to 10.13 High Sierra, from present 10.11 El Capitan, until the HS issue is confirmed 'gone'. And with 10.14 coming, I am not sure how long my 'OK' days playing GW2 on 10.11 is going to last.

SMOOTH! the game runs smooth now! Noticed the changes at the beginning of April & glad to hear the game runs better for some of you as well!Maps & mounts load fast, sound effects are on time, no lag...It's almost as good as the 32-bit version WOW!

Mac mini (late 2012) High sierra 10.13.12,3 GHz Intel core i74gb 1600 MHz DDR3Intel HD graphics 4000 1536 mb

@Menadena.7482 said:

@"Zan.5602" said:Someone was asking for experience running 64-bit client on Xeon.My Hackintosh uses the Q8300 quad-core Intel Xeon at 2.5GHz. Graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 750TI (2GB) and it is outfitted with 8GB of RAM and a normal 7,200RPM SATA HD. I get almost the same FPS on Mac side and Windows side (15-25 at "best appearance" settings) as long as I don't move the cam. Then it plummets to 2 or something. At lower graphics settings, it's quite playable but it is still jerky when other players are around. Windows side is smooth as silk. I am encouraged by the improvement, however, and looking forward to more optimizations. Anybody tried using something like renice -20 on the PID to make it unfriendly to other apps? Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Thanks! The 2018 refresh of the mac pro is still unknown but since the xeon is highly likely I was gathering what information I could. When you talk about moving the cam do you mean you get affected if you are just walking around or if you move the camera while staying in place?

Yeah any movement reduces the frame rate to an untenable situation <5 fps. It clears up after a moment, but then everything is herky-jerky again. In general, it isn't playable. I understand that the game is largely CPU-bound, but it doesn't appear to be using more than 2 of the cores. Top reports CPU usage by that process of about 180% typically...still a lot of headroom. The rhythmic nature of the jerking makes me think it's read/write issues, but downgrading to Sierra means starting over, and I can't do that to my production side. I installed an old HD and Windows 7 just for GW2. Anybody know if upgrading to Windows 10 on that drive would be worthwhile?

Z

So this is my last effort here. I had slight issues on the 32 bit Mac client on my Mac mini but overall it worked great. I recently bought a new Mac mini and was forced into the 64 bit client. Totally unplayable. Many issues that I have read here. Much worse than the 32 bit. I wrote support and after sending my info I received an answer saying that my brand new Mac mini does not support the 64 bit client and that system requirements can change. So yes system requirements changed from the 32 to 64, I get that. So basically I am understanding anyone who had a Mac is screwed now cause they are no longer compatible? I do t know much about comps but aren’t most macs the same? Can’t upgrade much and add graphics cards right? So what is going to happen with the Mac based players? Is there any suggestions on how I can mAke the game work? Played WoW waiting for answers and a fix to the crappy Mac situation and and bored. I want my gw2 back. Much better game imo. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I would like to add that it was the Intel Iris 1536 that “does not conform” so if u have a Mac mini and the 32 worked for u and the 64 doesn’t I guess we r outta luck unless there are suggestions

@Zan.5602 said:

@Zan.5602 said:Someone was asking for experience running 64-bit client on Xeon.My Hackintosh uses the Q8300 quad-core Intel Xeon at 2.5GHz. Graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 750TI (2GB) and it is outfitted with 8GB of RAM and a normal 7,200RPM SATA HD. I get almost the same FPS on Mac side and Windows side (15-25 at "best appearance" settings) as long as I don't move the cam. Then it plummets to 2 or something. At lower graphics settings, it's quite playable but it is still jerky when other players are around. Windows side is smooth as silk. I am encouraged by the improvement, however, and looking forward to more optimizations. Anybody tried using something like renice -20 on the PID to make it unfriendly to other apps? Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Thanks! The 2018 refresh of the mac pro is still unknown but since the xeon is highly likely I was gathering what information I could. When you talk about moving the cam do you mean you get affected if you are just walking around or if you move the camera while staying in place?

Yeah any movement reduces the frame rate to an untenable situation <5 fps. It clears up after a moment, but then everything is herky-jerky again. In general, it isn't playable. I understand that the game is largely CPU-bound, but it doesn't appear to be using more than 2 of the cores. Top reports CPU usage by that process of about 180% typically...still a lot of headroom. The rhythmic nature of the jerking makes me think it's read/write issues, but downgrading to Sierra means starting over, and I can't do that to my production side. I installed an old HD and Windows 7 just for GW2. Anybody know if upgrading to Windows 10 on that drive would be worthwhile?

Z

I have win 10 in a parallels vm. Obviously not fast at all but I just use that for getting login rewards on my alt.

@Calisanna.8732 said:So this is my last effort here. I had slight issues on the 32 bit Mac client on my Mac mini but overall it worked great. I recently bought a new Mac mini and was forced into the 64 bit client. Totally unplayable. Many issues that I have read here. Much worse than the 32 bit. I wrote support and after sending my info I received an answer saying that my brand new Mac mini does not support the 64 bit client and that system requirements can change. So yes system requirements changed from the 32 to 64, I get that. So basically I am understanding anyone who had a Mac is screwed now cause they are no longer compatible? I do t know much about comps but aren’t most macs the same? Can’t upgrade much and add graphics cards right? So what is going to happen with the Mac based players? Is there any suggestions on how I can mAke the game work? Played WoW waiting for answers and a fix to the crappy Mac situation and and bored. I want my gw2 back. Much better game imo. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I would like to add that it was the Intel Iris 1536 that “does not conform” so if u have a Mac mini and the 32 worked for u and the 64 doesn’t I guess we r outta luck unless there are suggestions

Unfortunately I would not recommend playing any game on a mini as you will often find that right at the minimum specs. Just look at the prices ... the difference in price between a mini and the other models is more than just the cost of a monitor so that came from somewhere. The mini also is lagging behind right now.

With gaming you do not want to be right at the minimum, trust me. For playing on a mac I would recommend an imac to maximize cost/performance. Laptops are iffy depending on what specs you have.