[Poll] Weapon for the next Thief Elite Specialization

Sodeni.6041

I chose Mace. IMO, Mace is underutilized in general and I would love to see more use of it. My Burglar in LOTRO ran with Mace/Dagger, and I kinda miss it. That Mace hit hard... Yeah, stun w/ Mace seems good.

My next choice would be Sword off-hand, because of aesthetics mainly.

I'd love a longbow in the "DC comics Arrow" style with both ranged and melee skills.The range and melee skills could either be split amongst the 5 skill slots OR some could be mixed, based on the range between your position and the target (such as 1200-150 range: uses range skill / -150 range, uses melee skill).

Since we can swap weapon anyways between range and melee, in my opinion, a weapon with mixed skills (melee + range) would be designed to achive no loss of efficiency between melee and range, with equally potent skills (which is this case might require a range reduction, making this idea better for a short-bow purpose).ORThe longbow could act as a staff on short-range, as an harassing/support tool on long range, both being "utility" oriented synergizing with other skills for additional group stealth, cleansing effect, etc.

Otherwise, I'd vote for off-hand longsword.

@Hooglese.4860 said:Why hammer? What's scarier, a thief coming out of nowhere with daggers and pistols? Or a thief coming out of nowhere swinging with a gigantic hammer

Logically both daggers or pistols would be potentially more practical and dangerous than a gigantic hammer.Pistols are ranged (and concealable), you can't run away.Daggers are concealable and light so you won't see them until he wants you to see them and he remains mobile because of their weigth.

Now thief with a giant-ass hammer? Not only you see it from miles away, if you decide to run, he can't catch you with that anchor holding him down.

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

@Hooglese.4860 said:Why hammer? What's scarier, a thief coming out of nowhere with daggers and pistols? Or a thief coming out of nowhere swinging with a gigantic hammer

Logically both daggers or pistols would be potentially more practical and dangerous than a gigantic hammer.Pistols are ranged (and concealable), you can't run away.Daggers are concealable and light so you won't see them until he wants you to see them and he remains mobile because of their weigth.

Now thief with a giant-kitten hammer? Not only you see it from miles away, if you decide to run, he can't catch you with that anchor holding him down.

If they make another 2h weapon set, I like the idea that's been posed for a shadowstep focused set up

Looks like OH sword and greatsword are both very popular.

In terms of actually implementing them I'd wager Anet would be more willing to go with greatsword if they have a drastic mechanical change (something with the impact of changing steal to malice) and offhand sword if the core mechanical change is more minor (something like a tack-on effect to an existing mechanic in the vein of daredevil's mechanics)

Interestingly enough, for thieves adding an offhand or mainhand actually requires them to make the same number of skills as a 2 hand because of the dual skills. 2h weapon only requires a 1-5 bar, but a new offhand requires 2 new MH or OH skills plus 3 separate dual skills for pistol, sword, dagger. This means that any thief spec will always get at least 5 new weapon skills, and thieves overall get much higher impact build changes from new offhands or mainhands even before any core class mechanic changes because of the nature of dual skills than they do for 2h weapons, which are larger build changers for most other classes simply because a 2h in any other classes hands requires more new skills than a new MH or OH.

I really want to see a thief use a shield as a main hand weapon. Not even using it defensivly but getting in their enemies faces and beating them with it. Use it with the dagger off hand for a counter move. Use with a pistol for some Captain America style crap going down

But for a realistic vote I would enjoy a sword offhand because if mesmer can hold two swords a thief needs to do it better.

• 4 months later...

I'd love to see a focus off-hand. It would be cool to have a kind of shadow magic thief spec, which depending on which traits and which Main hand you use can be either support or condition based bunker or something. Maybe redesign the traps with this so we could play 2 more different roles.

• 4 weeks later...