Map Nav Mesh problems (No Valid Path to Target)

@Lithril Ashwalker.6230 said:

@"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:Hey folks!

Finding every spot in a map where nav mesh is broken and preventing teleportation is near impossible for a handful of people. As such, please post in this thread if you find such places in PvP maps. When you receive "No valid path to target."

We'll be monitoring this post regularly and investigating those locations.

Thanks!

does this mean we can get shadow trap looked into?

+1 please look into shadow trap.... I try to use it but any walls will stop the teleportation.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@sephiroth.4217 said:

Finding every spot in a map where nav mesh is broken and preventing teleportation is near impossible for a handful of people. As such, please post in this thread if you find such places in PvP maps. When you receive "No valid path to target."

Thanks!

does this mean we can get shadow trap looked into?

+1 please look into shadow trap.... I try to use it but any walls will stop the teleportation.

its because its LoS when it shouldnt be ... 10k range and you expect to have full LoS?!? lol.also nav mesh interferes with it too at times.

@"Urejt.5648" said:can u not run bot or ai to detecit it? such an easy programmable job...

I wonder. Since the GW2 in-house program that designers used to create terrain is effectively the Wildstar player housing system, a lot of assets are clipped into each other or spaced at various, arbitrary intervals for solely decorative purposes. Due to this, A LOT, and I mean SO MUCH of GW2's "map nav mesh" problems are basically due to certain terrain assets just not aligning in a logical manner with other assets (due to the arbitrary and aesthetically-driven clipping). Every time somebody finds a "no valid path to target" it means that someone has to go into that map, find that area and jiggle little pieces of the map around bit by bit until the game eventually decides that the two target areas in question are now connected. It's an utter mess, and it's really just due to how the engine handles player navigation across terrain (since teleportation isn't really "instantaneously relocate from 'Position A' to 'Position B'" but rather "walk very, very quickly from 'Position A' to "Position B'" (which is why teleporting through ward walls will still trigger the effects of ward walls on the teleporting player).

If GW2's engine was just more physics based rather than relying entirely on spaghetti scripts to carry all the effects across clipping terrain, then this wouldn't be such an issue. However, this is such a mess than an AI might not even necessarily know what to look for when any given map is just a huge, jerry-rigged mass of clipping assets.

There are continuing issues with any downward slope that is "stepped." One example is running away from lord in Foefire. Also the tent ropes near the side nodes block blink on Foefire.

More serious, you cannot teleport "through" your targeted enemy display to the top edge of the screen . This blocks many escapes.

Find the ledge above "Archway" on Revenge of the Capricorn to be fickle in many locations, even from the cap point itself.

IIRCC many spots between "Graveyard" and "Quarry", and places around "Quarry" on Foe Fire are sometimes unresponsive.

The wooden stairs/ledge leading up to "Mine" on Forest of Niflhel are inconstant especially the path leading out towards Svanir

On Temple of the silent storm, the snowy part leading to middle from stillness (on Alter's side) will not allow for ports.

Glad to see this finally being looked at.

Ben is now my favorite dev for finally bringing this issue to light for all these years. It's my #1 issue with the game.

The glaring obvious one that needs fixing: on Capricorn when you face mid point directly. The entire right side (when looking at minimap) of the walkway above mid is not teleportable. The other side is.

LABFfQs.jpggg4ias2.jpg

I don't know if this is intended but I don't think it should be that way. It works with every elevation on every platform and pillar you can jump on. However, I can teleport from near the skyhammer portal up to mid point even though it is also a huge difference in height, same with Kylo mid point.Because of that it is hard to take down those squishy eles or deadeyes who stay close to those platforms. Well, they can be taken down by ranged shots but many people do not listen to those tips and just melt down in teamfights. If we could teleport to those elevations with target teleports, we could at least have a fair chance to fight back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

Is there first a clear rule on tp ?When in theory are we supposed to be able to tp and when not ?

Then we will be able to say when there is bug.

I think (read fear)the rule is kind of "when there is a valid path you can use to reach the point without jumping" and "the point is in range by flight"

An alternative could be... same but the valid path without jumping should be in range as well(hope this is not the case)

My preferred one which is not the current one for sure:Just make sure the point is in range by flight.prevent tp in jumping puzzles and that's all.

• 1 month later...

Have any of these actually been fixed?

The painfully obvious one right in the middle of Capricorn has been bugged since the map has come out. When looking at the middle point, the entire left side of the upper platform has a broken nav mesh.

It's not like there are a lot of PvP maps either, this is just blatant neglect. It takes a map designer literally 5 minutes to fix this...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, as far as im concerned,i dont believe that you will be able to get it to work proper until the game-servers get shot down and if the rest of you is honest you know it too.So, simple solution: if your skill fails for "no valid path" at least reset the skill or in case of a thief, you will get your initiativ costs back.And if anyone tells me now "we are constantly working on the issue" (i call ->#!Ö?#?!Ä"!c) just use it as a "temporary" solutuion and everyone can go on without losing face.

delete the post and sell it as your idea, i dont mind... just let me use my thief as it is intended

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It would be nice on ports, if they were line of sight, but at the same time, that would break WvW, It looks if most people have covered the general bridges, and stairs "grr those stairs".Maybe it would be easier if a 40 second cooldown didn't poof at my guardians feet when no path found, I'm fine with a few random mishaps a week, as I do encounter them every few days roaming WvW maps and a couple places in SPvP.My only issue instead of a no valid path message, I get full cooldown, not even a 3 second cancel cast/interrupt.