Is it just me, or is the Guardian's Scepter the most underwhelming weapon in the game?

Azione.5913

@"Dynnen.6405" said:I don't understand why the guardian scepter 1 can't function like Necro scepter 1. Or get the same treatment that engineer rifle 1 got with the tracking it had with speed. It is really confusing how they improved scepter 2 without fixing scepter 1.

Some classes need to be more easy to play than others, to atrack "clients" xD

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

It would work better if they customized guardian to where a scepter was an off hand to staff for them. Make two under performing weapons when used together make a specific type of weapon only used by guardians. So you could have it work as like a melee or range depending on what you need kind of like thief rifle has the regular mode and the kneel mode where it has different skills. Just my thoughts anyways since I find both weapons in actual usage to be really bad compared to other classes usage of similar or the same weapons.

@Azione.5913 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:You should have played it when the orbs were half as fast.

But technically, scepter is a pretty kitten solid weapon ... you got a frequent AA, a frequent symbol and a skill that keeps people put in that symbol. Other than some more interesting chain AA, how could you really want more than this?

Thematically, I think it's a little weird throwing around magic energy balls as a Guardian ... it definitely feels more like a Elementalist-styled weapon. And yes the sound ... On the flip side, what other kind of weapon would you recommend in it's place? There isn't much choices ...

Well that's the thing.. I actually like the abilities on the scepter, but it's just super annoying to actually use. It needs at a minimum a visual rework :)

Art/visual complaints are perfectly valid complaints. But do you really think this is where the team should spend their time on guardian?

Idk about you, but I tend to find the scepter is way more reliable than the bow in PvE - just keep laying down those symbols. The scepter also has access to the focus or torch, which has a lot more damage and utility than what the bow can provide.

The scepter, in its current state, is probably one of guardian's better weapons. I don't see the point of this thread.

Also, keep in mind that Guardian IS a heavy armour spellcaster. If you want to show off your brawn, why not have a go playing Warrior?

@Westenev.5289 said:Idk about you, but I tend to find the scepter is way more reliable than the bow in PvE - just keep laying down those symbols. The scepter also has access to the focus or torch, which has a lot more damage and utility than what the bow can provide.

The scepter, in its current state, is probably one of guardian's better weapons. I don't see the point of this thread.

Also, keep in mind that Guardian IS a heavy armour spellcaster. If you want to show off your brawn, why not have a go playing Warrior?

I'm not the OP but I think the point was that all the other weapons look cool or feel fun to play while the scepter feels/looks like your just waggling a stick in the air at the enemy. Mechanically its fine, but visually its super boring. At least that's my take on it.

It may be thematically boring and feel bad to use, but that's honestly every professions' scepter, and it's one of the top weapons on Guardian and its kit mechanics are really solid.

To be honest, I'd like to see more of a reversion to this visual style and speed, though. There are just way too many visual explosions and craziness in-game right now.

It's the absolute worst. My hatred for that lame boring stupid crap weapon is just beyond levels of measurement. A paladin archetype, heavy armour, big & classic weapons (Sword, big sword, shield, Mace, Hammer), heavenly & powerful magic and then you get this stupid harry potter reject wand paired with a horrid animation and even more boring skills.

Seriously there is literally nothing redeemable about this weapon for me...it's the one thing that still keeps me away from actually playing Guardian more.

@OriOri.8724 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:You should have played it when the orbs were half as fast.

But technically, scepter is a pretty kitten solid weapon ... you got a frequent AA, a frequent symbol and a skill that keeps people put in that symbol. Other than some more interesting chain AA, how could you really want more than this?

Thematically, I think it's a little weird throwing around magic energy balls as a Guardian ... it definitely feels more like a Elementalist-styled weapon. And yes the sound ... On the flip side, what other kind of weapon would you recommend in it's place? There isn't much choices ...

Well that's the thing.. I actually like the abilities on the scepter, but it's just super annoying to actually use. It needs at a minimum a visual rework :)

Art/visual complaints are perfectly valid complaints. But do you really think this is where the team should spend their time on guardian?

Right. Mechanically and damage-wise, scepter is in an excellent spot at least for PvE, don't care about the rest. Its art is nothing special (few classes' scepters are), but other weapons need to be reworked much more urgently.

• 1 year later...

@Arken.3725 said:Just bumping this since Scepter, Staff and to a smaller extent, Long Bow still have terrible tracking. Can we please get these fixed?

Did not you get the memo? Apparently, guardian ranged weapons should not hit a moving target. Heck, when Anet remade staff, they gave it the same slow ass projectile like scepter. I do not think this will ever get fixed...

I love my scepter, but Anet seems to think guardians need to melee everything in pvp and made it less powerful so us guards would start using swords. Well, I won't. I hate the way swords feel in battle and need a go to weapon if I have to back off to regain health or wait for a cool-down. With the shield, the scepter make the idea choice. With the stupid sword, there is no backing off, the bow is crap all-around, and they already made the staff unfun.

Scepter is really satisfying to use.Tons of frequent attacks means that it inflicts burning quite a bit as well.Combine scepter with torch and it's just a beast of a weapon set.

Scepter skill #3 is more for pvp though I do admit, but I find it to be really darn useful there even if it's weak in pve.

@Arken.3725 said:Right but the point in this weapon(along with Staff/LB) is that they are RANGED. If you are within range barring any mitigation(blind, aegis, invuln, ect.) ALL the projectiles should hit you. The fact that they don't is pretty bad.

It may be ranged, but guards don't necessarily use it that way exclusively. It allows you to do damage, roll back to gain health and get out of aoes while continuing to do damage. Or charge while doing damage and using that short stun effect to stop them, switch to your great sword for the attack.

If you're talking about aegis, you only get that one free pass, if your opponent doesn't have an answer for it that is their failing. All classes have a back up move unless you are shooting your wad on one attack.

• 1 month later...