Guild Wars Utopia — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Guild Wars Utopia

The cancelled GW1 campaign Utopia was supposedly set to feature an Aztec themed landmass. Where was the campaign supposed to be set on the world map in relation to central Tyria, and is there a chance we will see these areas at some point in a future expansion?

Tagged:

Comments

• Ardid.7203Ardid.7203 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2018

Expanding into the mists is exactly what I would love to see in GW. More human gods... not so much. But this info is fun and mind opening!

• Wow, I did not expect to ever see anything solid on Utopia, this is huge! I realized that a lot of architecture got integrated into the Asura, but it does feel like some of the Aztec vibe was lost. It would be really cool to see the Asura build something like the iconic gear city concept art. Was the Chronomancer design from Utopia deliberately repurposed to look like the Watchwork Knights, or was the similarity a coincidence?

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

I'm kinda glad you abandoned that idea. Doesn't sound as appealing as the choices you made in its stead to be honest

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• @foozlesprite.8051 said:
    Wow, I did not expect to ever see anything solid on Utopia, this is huge! I realized that a lot of architecture got integrated into the Asura, but it does feel like some of the Aztec vibe was lost. It would be really cool to see the Asura build something like the iconic gear city concept art. Was the Chronomancer design from Utopia deliberately repurposed to look like the Watchwork Knights, or was the similarity a coincidence?

We weren't purposefully tying them together, if that is what you are asking.

Lead Game Designer with a primary focus on Living World content/story

• Alga.6498Alga.6498 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2018

I was hoping for Utopia to actually make it as our 4th campaign, looking of all these concept arts were simply beautiful and amazing.

The rumors were going back then that we might get similar content to GW2 as the whole Utopia campaign got shipped into this game.

Will we ever see Utopia here in GW2 or is it way too human-based content?

Also, the Chronomancer and the Summoners, is the Mesmer's Elite-spec similar on how it was going to be in GW1 or what kind of weapons were these two professions going to have?
    (Such as Paragon had Spear and Dervish had Scythe)

| Separatist | Nightmare Court | Inquest | White Mantle | Sunspears | Loyalists | Ascalon | Kryta | Ebonhawke | Elona | Istan | Kourna | Vabbi | Cantha | Luxon | Kurzick | 71 characters | "Rally to me, Ascalonians!" "Keep Ascalon in your heart." "May the Gods protect you." "Be blessed by the Six."

• mercury ranique.2170mercury ranique.2170 Member ✭✭✭✭

Making a game is a creative process. This means artists almost never throw away old materials and reuse them all the time. This process is trained in the earliest art classes. You are encouraged to keep a sketchbook to sketch and go back into them to find inspiration. Same goes with Utopia. I imagine that anything good developed for that campaing (story, landscape, lore, skins, etc) have been re-used in one way or the other (or both!). That what is still on the shelve might be dusted one day or would likely have been discarded as a bad idea during the actual development as well (if it would have gone so far)

• Oldirtbeard.9834Oldirtbeard.9834 Member ✭✭✭✭

I guess that blows Wooden Potatoes, Doern Velazquez theory out of the water, I wanted to believe in a time traveling Order of Whisperers Infiltrator Agent too.

“The only watchmaker is the blind forces of physics.”
    ― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

• Chaba.5410Chaba.5410 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:
    I wanted to believe in a time traveling Order of Whisperers Infiltrator Agent too.

Advanced Recon Eye of the North Assault!

• Justine.6351Justine.6351 Member ✭✭✭✭

Wow if that was the backstory I glad we got eye of the north instead.

Anet buff me :-(
    Make me good at game!

• Tamias.7059Tamias.7059 Member ✭✭✭

@LinseyMurdock.4165 said:
    You did see those areas! We re-purposed those assets to use as the asuran architectural aesthetic and used those concepts to build out the coastal region of EotN. The asura were originally more of a cave dweller species. You can actually see their original aesthetic in the Boreal Station outpost of GW1.

Follow up question to this - when they settled in Rata Sum (and the wider Tarnished Coast), the asura were implied to have occupied ruins left by some previous civilisation. In GW2 we see old asuran ruins like Rata Pten, and even though they predate the asura's settlement of the surface they resemble the aesthetic of modern Rata Sum rather than the Boreal Station. Is this an oversight or is there something more to this?

As a corollary, do you think we'll ever explore more the lore behind the asura's apparently vast under-empire that existed before Primordus awoke?

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.