The Forgotten's Plan — Guild Wars 2 Forums

The Forgotten's Plan

In PoF we're presented with the cinematic explaining that the forgotten want to add Glint's scions into the dragon mix to share magic instead of absorbing it, thereby ending the cycle of consumption and slow healing and ending the imbalance caused by the death of two elder dragons. The transcript of that is as follows:

"The millennia-long Elder Dragon cycle is one of feast and famine. Ravenous, they rise. Sated, they sleep. Glint and the Forgotten set out to break this cycle of extremes and to restore true balance. But when two Elder Dragons were unexpectedly eliminated from the cycle at one time, we believe it created a void. A void that caused the system to break down and the collapse to begin. The hope was that Glint's legacy would stabilize the cycle. We theorize that these vacancies must be filled with entities that circulate and share magic rather than hoard it. Only then will the balance of magic truly become stable. Only then will Glint's legacy achieve its ultimate purpose."

My question is: How could the forgotten have known, 250+ years in the past when Gleam/Vlast was born and before even Aurene was born, that two elder dragons would be slain in a short amount of time? Especially if Glint's prophetic abilities are shown in PoF to not extend beyond her own death. I guess what I'm getting at is that it seems weird that a plan formulated so long, long, long ago seems to have such incredible insight into the (what are considered by many to be) impossible things that our PC have accomplished. Did the Forgotten secretly have Hari Seldon on their side?

Tagged:

Comments

• There were once 8 Elder Dragons. The cycle was upset long ago with the death of two of them, so the Forgotten started this plan. We just killed two more, widening the void instead of healing it with Aurene.

(obviously not serious here)

• Sublimatio.6981Sublimatio.6981 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2018

@Scott McGough.6897

About the plot where the Forgotten tried to convert Kralkatorrik. The conversion ritual that they developed is not gone and at least one sylvari can (and did, in Arah) cleanse a dragon minion from corruption. Do you expect this to come into play with Glint's Legacy in the future? (Is it on the table?)

"clang clang shriiiiek clang!" -Belinda Delaqua
    When I join your LFG

• Konig Des Todes.2086Konig Des Todes.2086 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Scott McGough.6897 said:
    tl;dr: there weren't supposed to be vacancies at all, at least not until the scions were 100% ready to step up and become replacements; the vacancies were a surprise, and they pose a new and urgent danger, but the original intent of replacing EDs with more benevolent scions hasn't changed. The Forgotten were gone, and so the Exalted reacted to a changing situation, and in this scene are describing that shift and beseeching the Commander to take up their cause and see it through.

Out of curiosity, was there plans for more than the two scions known and mentioned? There's never any hints of a third scion to be raised (so far), and this plan of Glint's and the Forgotten seems short sighted if they only have two (three if Glint was included) replacements.

Or would the other three / four Elder Dragons be part of the "among other things" you mentioned?

Probably can't answer this, though, but figured I'd ask just in case.

All these squares make a circle.

• @Scott McGough.6897 said:

tl;dr: there weren't supposed to be vacancies at all, at least not until the scions were 100% ready to step up and become replacements; the vacancies were a surprise, and they pose a new and urgent danger, but the original intent of replacing EDs with more benevolent scions hasn't changed. The Forgotten were gone, and so the Exalted reacted to a changing situation, and in this scene are describing that shift and beseeching the Commander to take up their cause and see it through.

I see how it could have been more clearly written, but the intent of these lines was not that the Forgotten knew two vacancies were coming; it's that the Forgotten planned to replace sitting EDs, not fill vacancies, and now the speaker is hoping the original plan can still work, given the the situation is different now.

Thanks so much for responding. TBH this is something that's always bugged me; thanks for clearing it up!

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.