Game alt-tabbing or flashing desktop [merged]

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@vaz kor.5479 said:ty, doesn't fix problem but helps some:)

No worries glad it helped. Yeah it still does it but it's way quicker now, Before it would go to desktop for at least 10 seconds now it's a split second. W10 is just getting worse, I have been an insider since the start and every release it just worse, I'm doing an image now and going back to w7 and might stick to GW2 on linux.

I'm having the same issue since the April update to windows (yesterday). Flashing when I click login for guild wars. Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6gb here. Also when I Alt + TAB to get over to Dulfy or anything else it has a terrible stutter/lag with the flashing.

@slayerking.3581 said:Found the problem, It's the new focus assist crap they have put into the new winblows update. If you go to settings>system>focus assist and turn it all off, it does it much quicker now instead of sitting there for 10 seconds or so on the desktop.

Disabling the focus assistant didn't do a thing for me. Still flashes to the desktop on loading screens

@Heather.4823 said:

@slayerking.3581 said:Found the problem, It's the new focus assist crap they have put into the new winblows update. If you go to settings>system>focus assist and turn it all off, it does it much quicker now instead of sitting there for 10 seconds or so on the desktop.

Disabling the focus assistant didn't do a thing for me. Still flashes to the desktop on loading screens

Yeah it does but nowhere near as long as it was before.

@slayerking.3581 said:

Yeah it does but nowhere near as long as it was before.

I had already disabled it before making this thread lol.

Did not fix the problem but certainly helped a lot , thanks Slayer!

I am having the exact same issue since the latest windows update. I also have an Nvidia card but even putting the latest Nvidia driver in has not changed this. Bloody windows issue as usual. Like GW2 they need to leave it alone if it aint broke (Kid has the same issue on his rig as well)

Similar issue on an i5 with an Nvidia GTX 970. The loading screen shows while loading, then it flicks to desktop, before briefly showing the loading screen again and finally showing my character and the zone instance. If I move to a different zone, it does the same thing, except it also shows a small, title-bar only window in the top-left corner of the desktop. It has a small Guild Wars 2 icon, "Guild Wars 2" as the title, and a close-button.

Its a "Feature" that came with the big april-update for Windows 10 (not sure about the other versions)... very annoying :/ and it has been discussed here https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/38377/game-flashing-desktop-on-loading-screens#latest as well. There is a way to shorten the time you see the desktop (it is mentioned in the thread) but afaik no way to remove it completely yet.

@circuitnerd.5863 said:Within just the past several days my game has randomly been alt-tabbing to the desktop once in a while. Typically it only happens once per login. Has anyone else been experiencing this lately as well? I've completely formatted my computer and everything but no change. It's kind of annoying but luckily it doesn't happen much.

Been happening to me too, maybe for about a month or so, but only usually once per login as you mentioned. I don't normally have any other major software open or running in the background either (like steam, browser pages, etc). The thing I have running (aside from Windows 10 processes), is F.lux (a screen filter thing, but it pauses when a game/full screen thing is running), and I've been using the same version of that long before this started happening. My Nvidia drivers are up to date, and I've tried a couple of roll backs incase it was those, but didn't seem to effect anything.

As stated above Steam's a good example but if an app is set to notify it might alt-tab you out. Have you checked the apps that are set to notify in Windows since these could in some cases also trigger the alt-tab. Have had friends run into this before and one was Steam, another was anti-malware software scans running in the background and one had a schedule tasks that was kicking off software updates to some installed apps. If no new apps added would check notifications to make sure one that may have been previously off weren't turned on after an update.

@"Jam.3258" said:Similar issue on an i5 with an Nvidia GTX 970. The loading screen shows while loading, then it flicks to desktop, before briefly showing the loading screen again and finally showing my character and the zone instance. If I move to a different zone, it does the same thing, except it also shows a small, title-bar only window in the top-left corner of the desktop. It has a small Guild Wars 2 icon, "Guild Wars 2" as the title, and a close-button.

I see that same thing too. Also when alt tabbing you no longer see a preview of the gw2 showing.