WvW Zerg Fights — Guild Wars 2 Forums

WvW Zerg Fights

Hello,

I'm looking for some tips and tactics for zerg v zerg fights , i.e. what should I be doing and how can I get close enough to land hits without dying in a fiery pool of death?

I am pretty new to WvW, although I've played as casual PvE player for around 4 years (mainly doing open world and story missions, but I've done some fractals and dipped my toe into raiding too). I have been really enjoying roaming, flipping objectives, engaging in a few player fights too (I'm not getting many kills yet but I am getting people running away, which I'm counting as a win for now). I've been solo roaming as well as roaming with a few guildies who have been showing me the mechanics and explaining the acronyms. But I'm struggling in the larger zerg v zerg fights. I find there is a lot of waiting around to get ready, and then a charge, then some hanging around just outside max range right in front of a load of the aforementioned firey pools of death. If we do then manage to engage, there is a lot of visual noise and confusion, and I'm not sure what I should be focussing on, or where I should be going/positioning myself? Normally ends with pool of death, respawn, run, repeat. Not finding this fun. Am I destined to never enjoy zerging, or am I just really doing it wrong?

For info, I started with my scourge, but have been playing my holosmith more recently (more fun roaming, but feels ineffectual in a zerg). Scourge could probably do with some tankier gear as I'm currently using a mix of viper and carrion. Holo is in Marauders, almost like https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Holosmith_-_DPS_Holosmith but with a couple of different skills (because I really enjoy rocket boots and like the healing turret) . Mostly exotics with ascended trinkets and a couple of pieces of ascended armour (work in progress). I also have a tempest and mirage that I'm fairly decent with and could potentially gear up for wvw.

TLDR: Tips for zerg fights please!

Comments

  • Dawdler.8521Dawdler.8521 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2018

    All scourges run trailblazer and holosmith is pointless unless you are insanely good with it because otherwise it offers next to nothing over anything else.

    The TL;DR on zerging - join om trailblazer scourge or minstrel firebrand, get on TS and stick to the commander like a starved leech.

    If you want to circle the zerg like a hyperactive vulture, then you can bring anything you are good with for 1v1, 1v2 and 1v3. Dont expect to do much good if you fall on the first part of that. Keep in mind that even the "tanky" marauders is complete glass cannon. Sustain is meta, both power and condi. You can run with 2000 toughness and have like 80% of the damage of a zerker - more than enough to kill them, while they will struggle to kill you. The more you are the merrier, while more glass cannons just gets them steamrolled after the first downed (psychological warfare ftw)

    Dont look a gift Asura in the mouth.
    No seriously, dont. Shark teeth.

  • displayname.8315displayname.8315 Member ✭✭✭

    I like to start with reading thru the build options and picking the 3 archetypes I like best. Then work your weapons and abilities around that. Have to have the right amount of stability and invulnerable options, blocks also work, reflects at range. Condition cleansing for if you didn't dodge the bombs well enough. Auto targeting can get you in trouble I always have that turned off. You can use leaps to escape if you clear your target. Scourge has that port ability too. If there's a commander always keep an eye on them and try to assist.

    There's a good few weapon sigils to pick from, things that can give you extra dodge on swap or on kill. Try to keep your build consistent like if you want to tank more use power-toughness-vitality or vitality-toughness-power.. dont invest a lot in like ferocity if you dont have the precision also.

    A lot of it is just refining your build and practicing. Get your keybinds worked out to be comfortable and quick.

  • Thanks guys, good advice.

    I would love to have Trailblazer for the scourge but can't afford the lilys atm to craft it - my vague plan is to get it via the wvw reward track, but this will take a bit of playtime. Am I right in thinking this is the cheapest way to get it? In the meantime will look into other ways to get more toughness and sustain - good to know that it's worth deviating from marauders.

    Will continue to practise my starved leech impression.

    The reason for playing the holo is just that I really enjoy playing it, it's my oldest char so I'm fairly comfortable with the skills and I like the versatility of engi. The server I play on feels fairly open to casual play - no one is asking for certain builds or professions. But I would like to a) be super awesome at it (unlikely, but you never know) or b) find another profession I really enjoy using in wvw (more likely) - which probably means one that can roam with unless I can get this zerging figured out.

    Hmm, need to look into more stab and invun, and again more toughness and vitality. Keybinds could also be easier/smoother....lots to work on, excellent :) And you're right about auto-targeting. Thanks!

  • Voltekka.2375Voltekka.2375 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Elsabob.9023 said:
    Thanks guys, good advice.

    I would love to have Trailblazer for the scourge but can't afford the lilys atm to craft it - my vague plan is to get it via the wvw reward track, but this will take a bit of playtime. Am I right in thinking this is the cheapest way to get it? In the meantime will look into other ways to get more toughness and sustain - good to know that it's worth deviating from marauders.

    Will continue to practise my starved leech impression.

    The reason for playing the holo is just that I really enjoy playing it, it's my oldest char so I'm fairly comfortable with the skills and I like the versatility of engi. The server I play on feels fairly open to casual play - no one is asking for certain builds or professions. But I would like to a) be super awesome at it (unlikely, but you never know) or b) find another profession I really enjoy using in wvw (more likely) - which probably means one that can roam with unless I can get this zerging figured out.

    Hmm, need to look into more stab and invun, and again more toughness and vitality. Keybinds could also be easier/smoother....lots to work on, excellent :) And you're right about auto-targeting. Thanks!

    Get triumphant /legacy/crystal desert armor boxes for free trailblazer stats. Remember, exotics with condi stats will make very little difference to ascended. You can get trailblazer trinkets from LS3 maps. Honestly, though, trailblazer in zerg vs zerg feels a bit outdated cause condies get cleansed fast. Power scourge works well, too. Big burst (in zerg vs zerg) or even celestial+grieving stats for max burst of power+condi.

  • DanAlcedo.3281DanAlcedo.3281 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Voltekka.2375 said:

    @Elsabob.9023 said:
    Thanks guys, good advice.

    I would love to have Trailblazer for the scourge but can't afford the lilys atm to craft it - my vague plan is to get it via the wvw reward track, but this will take a bit of playtime. Am I right in thinking this is the cheapest way to get it? In the meantime will look into other ways to get more toughness and sustain - good to know that it's worth deviating from marauders.

    Will continue to practise my starved leech impression.

    The reason for playing the holo is just that I really enjoy playing it, it's my oldest char so I'm fairly comfortable with the skills and I like the versatility of engi. The server I play on feels fairly open to casual play - no one is asking for certain builds or professions. But I would like to a) be super awesome at it (unlikely, but you never know) or b) find another profession I really enjoy using in wvw (more likely) - which probably means one that can roam with unless I can get this zerging figured out.

    Hmm, need to look into more stab and invun, and again more toughness and vitality. Keybinds could also be easier/smoother....lots to work on, excellent :) And you're right about auto-targeting. Thanks!

    Get triumphant /legacy/crystal desert armor boxes for free trailblazer stats. Remember, exotics with condi stats will make very little difference to ascended. You can get trailblazer trinkets from LS3 maps. Honestly, though, trailblazer in zerg vs zerg feels a bit outdated cause condies get cleansed fast. Power scourge works well, too. Big burst (in zerg vs zerg) or even celestial+grieving stats for max burst of power+condi.

    All i can say is , that cele + X (marauder or something) power nerco with blood magic instead of curses and wells sees more play now.

    With cele gear and the minor trait [Last rites] you can get easy over 1k healpower without using actual healpower gear.

    And with the endless life leech + protection from wells , you will have a hard time dieing.

    The ritual of life trait is just awesome.

    Also if Wells are traited and Soulreaping , Desert Shroud and Well of Suffering have both 24 second cooldown.

    F1 + F2 + F5 + Well of Suffering makes a quick "bomb" . F1 has only a castime of 1/2s and the well 1/4s. F2+F5 no cast time.

  • Feanor.2358Feanor.2358 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Elsabob.9023 said:
    Thanks guys, good advice.

    I would love to have Trailblazer for the scourge but can't afford the lilys atm to craft it - my vague plan is to get it via the wvw reward track, but this will take a bit of playtime. Am I right in thinking this is the cheapest way to get it? In the meantime will look into other ways to get more toughness and sustain - good to know that it's worth deviating from marauders.

    Will continue to practise my starved leech impression.

    The reason for playing the holo is just that I really enjoy playing it, it's my oldest char so I'm fairly comfortable with the skills and I like the versatility of engi. The server I play on feels fairly open to casual play - no one is asking for certain builds or professions. But I would like to a) be super awesome at it (unlikely, but you never know) or b) find another profession I really enjoy using in wvw (more likely) - which probably means one that can roam with unless I can get this zerging figured out.

    Hmm, need to look into more stab and invun, and again more toughness and vitality. Keybinds could also be easier/smoother....lots to work on, excellent :) And you're right about auto-targeting. Thanks!

    You may consider running a backline staff weaver in case gearing is an issue. I run pretty much my pve build with only utilities swapped. Zerk or marauder, whatever rocks your boat. It's not as useful as the scourge, but it's nice to have a few of those in a zerg fight.

    Hammer rev is similar, if you happen to have power-focused heavy gear.

  • Optimator.3589Optimator.3589 Member ✭✭✭

    If you find yourself getting blown up in your viper/carrion gear, feel free to switch to exotic dire gear for relatively little gold while you work on trailblazer. Dire (condi, toughness, vitality) is perfectly acceptable for zerg work, since the expertise that you get on trailblazer is kind of a waste in the face of a blob's condi clearing.

    REDUCE NA TO 3 TIERS

  • Just want to say thanks again for this advice guys - I have had another look at my scourge and although not completely optimised yet it was definitely feeling a lot easier to survive. It feels like I've finally found out why everyone raves about might and stab!! Really appreciate the help.

  • Zephyra.4709Zephyra.4709 Member ✭✭✭

    I don't main Scourge but you will want to switch to meta trailblazer gear or celestial - depending on what build you're running. Some scourge builds also run Apothecary's (heal/rezzer build). This will tank you up providing that much needed barrier everyone in your squad composition needs (I think it scales off healing power, not sure; feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

    As a Scourge you should be practically on tag/hugging the Firebrand in your party's squad comp. Firebrands give you stability + heals and keeps YOU ALIVE so that you can continue face-rolling any unfortunate sap to dwindle into your marks/wells/shades.

    Of course, situational awareness comes into play. Don't just tunnel vision... move with the tag, position yourself away from the enemy bomb. Generally speaking yes, the 'waiting around' is often called pirate ship meta as whoever pushes first is generally going to risk dying to so much carnage AoE being thrown at them. This is why you often see commanders asking; "Get ready for FAKE PUSH..." which involves pushing to a point and immediately pushing back to bait the enemy bomb. In this scenario the enemy has just wasted their bomb enabling you to push through the choke without as much pressure. In this situation you will either be completely face-rolling and preparing barrier(s) or if it's too hot ALWAYS dodge/double dodge THROUGH/TO THE SIDE of the enemy and smack their back-line.

    Have fun collecting enemy bags!

  • Dawdler.8521Dawdler.8521 Member ✭✭✭✭

    In this situation you will either be completely face-rolling and preparing barrier(s) or if it's too hot ALWAYS dodge/double dodge THROUGH/TO THE SIDE of the enemy and smack their back-line.

    Have fun collecting enemy bags!

    And remember, if the commander can do 10 dodges in a row, so can you. Having used your dodge is no excuse to not being able to dodge.

    Dont look a gift Asura in the mouth.
    No seriously, dont. Shark teeth.

  • Voltekka.2375Voltekka.2375 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Zephyra.4709 said:
    I don't main Scourge but you will want to switch to meta trailblazer gear or celestial - depending on what build you're running. Some scourge builds also run Apothecary's (heal/rezzer build). This will tank you up providing that much needed barrier everyone in your squad composition needs (I think it scales off healing power, not sure; feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

    As a Scourge you should be practically on tag/hugging the Firebrand in your party's squad comp. Firebrands give you stability + heals and keeps YOU ALIVE so that you can continue face-rolling any unfortunate sap to dwindle into your marks/wells/shades.

    Of course, situational awareness comes into play. Don't just tunnel vision... move with the tag, position yourself away from the enemy bomb. Generally speaking yes, the 'waiting around' is often called pirate ship meta as whoever pushes first is generally going to risk dying to so much carnage AoE being thrown at them. This is why you often see commanders asking; "Get ready for FAKE PUSH..." which involves pushing to a point and immediately pushing back to bait the enemy bomb. In this scenario the enemy has just wasted their bomb enabling you to push through the choke without as much pressure. In this situation you will either be completely face-rolling and preparing barrier(s) or if it's too hot ALWAYS dodge/double dodge THROUGH/TO THE SIDE of the enemy and smack their back-line.

    Have fun collecting enemy bags!

    Who uses trailblazer as meta, nowadays, with all the cleansing? Burst dmg is much, much better. Hybrid is preferable, to me at least, to maximize condi+power burst

  • ImperialWL.7138ImperialWL.7138 Member ✭✭✭

    Running 100% on tag as scourge is suicide because you lack personal escape and sustain. Also forget about running full trailblazer because it will get you into bad habit with positioning and also lacks burst. Celestial is optimal gear in the meantime your carrion stuff is more than good enough. You want to be close to but behind your commander in the melee or play as part of ranged group. Just get out there and play, gradually you will get a better feel of how to position and damage and the limitations of the class. Also never play blood magic as it kills your group more than it helps and you will do no dmg.

  • Dralor.3701Dralor.3701 Member ✭✭✭

    As others have stated use some type of hybrid gear, full condi hasn’t really been good since vanilla...

  • Rampage.7145Rampage.7145 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2018

    @Elsabob.9023 said:
    Hello,

    I'm looking for some tips and tactics for zerg v zerg fights , i.e. what should I be doing and how can I get close enough to land hits without dying in a fiery pool of death?

    I am pretty new to WvW, although I've played as casual PvE player for around 4 years (mainly doing open world and story missions, but I've done some fractals and dipped my toe into raiding too). I have been really enjoying roaming, flipping objectives, engaging in a few player fights too (I'm not getting many kills yet but I am getting people running away, which I'm counting as a win for now). I've been solo roaming as well as roaming with a few guildies who have been showing me the mechanics and explaining the acronyms. But I'm struggling in the larger zerg v zerg fights. I find there is a lot of waiting around to get ready, and then a charge, then some hanging around just outside max range right in front of a load of the aforementioned firey pools of death. If we do then manage to engage, there is a lot of visual noise and confusion, and I'm not sure what I should be focussing on, or where I should be going/positioning myself? Normally ends with pool of death, respawn, run, repeat. Not finding this fun. Am I destined to never enjoy zerging, or am I just really doing it wrong?

    For info, I started with my scourge, but have been playing my holosmith more recently (more fun roaming, but feels ineffectual in a zerg). Scourge could probably do with some tankier gear as I'm currently using a mix of viper and carrion. Holo is in Marauders, almost like https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Holosmith_-_DPS_Holosmith but with a couple of different skills (because I really enjoy rocket boots and like the healing turret) . Mostly exotics with ascended trinkets and a couple of pieces of ascended armour (work in progress). I also have a tempest and mirage that I'm fairly decent with and could potentially gear up for wvw.

    TLDR: Tips for zerg fights please!

    What u need to do to get better is getting in comms with the guy leading, in squad and make sure u have a good party, groups are only good if the party and squad synergy is there if this is not the case u will just die over and over vs a strong group ask your guardian to watch boons and conditions, party condi clears and stability are key for group fights and all that party and all the synergy things that make good groups better over just random pugs, positioning is key for scourges never good too deep when u push and as a general rule try walk wherever u see less red circles on the floor or no circles whatsoever . If you just wanna solo pug and just follow the commander around but do not wanna get on comms with him or join squads i strongly recommend u soulbeast because u will be just fine u will get your own stability, condi clears decent mobility and good old 1800 range of pure unblockable pew pew goodness.

    VR Driver
    Salty beavers top guild 2 years in a row back to back, the double champs
    https://saltybeavers.com/

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.